Products > Test Equipment

Siglent SDG1032 as bad as rigol DG812?

<< < (28/28)

mawyatt:

--- Quote from: 2N3055 on May 25, 2024, 09:12:59 pm ---Have you ever noticed that most (if not all) range selectors on auto-ranging handheld multi-meters operate clock-wise from the off position into the measurement mode and start with measuring voltage? Why would that be? Which standard dictates that?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Cultural biases.  Didn't you notice all knobs have same layout of zero being left and clockwise to max.  And voltage is first because that was traditionally most used function.

There are many de facto standards, but they are not mandatory. And also not universally applicable always.

--- End quote ---

Also, wouldn't want a handheld that rotated first to ohms, then diode, then current, then voltage  :bullshit:  :palm:

Best,

Mortymore:
The "Invert" in my old analog generator works as nctnico described, as does some Tektronix, Tenma, Kenwood, and others that I know of.

My old Fordham generator can be seen here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg5504575/#msg5504575

However, Siglent is in its right to do whatever they please. What's not right is that that the generator does not behave as advertised in the manual and as represented on screen, posing a potential risk of destruction of a DUT by inverting the DC offset. It doesn't matter if one is used to Tektronix way of invert or not. The displayed image is wrong and it's up to Siglent to decide what they really meant by invert polarity, but it's an urgent fix, be it at the image and manual or the outputted signal. They must match.

KungFuJosh:

--- Quote from: nctnico on May 25, 2024, 09:05:23 pm ---There are things like industry standards as set by the manufacturers who pioneered the type of instrument. Stick to those standard and people will have no problem using your equipment.

Have you ever noticed that most (if not all) range selectors on auto-ranging handheld multi-meters operate clock-wise from the off position into the measurement mode and start with measuring voltage? Why would that be? Which standard dictates that?

--- End quote ---

IIRC HPAK pioneered signal generator type TE before their competitor Tek started making any. Both brands do things differently, it's not new information.

Like you said, most, not all. There are many touch screen meters now that don't use a dial at all. Or just use button arrays like the DE-5000. Use what you like, and what you're comfortable with, but don't expect everybody to do the same thing. If everything was the same, only the least expensive devices would sell.

If I get new TE, I RTFM and learn what's different about it. Just going from the 3045X/3055 to the SDM3065X required some learning for me. It's fine...as long as the manual makes sense. 😉

eTobey:
Another issue:
Low level set to 1mV is about right, but setting it to 0 mV comes out at about -40mV. One step further on the knob, and *boom* the magic smoke of the DUT is gonna escape.

Behaves like a 50$ chinese thing at some points.

Njk:
Thank you for not using red font to announce your findings

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version