Author Topic: Siglent SDG2000X - Remote command for sending arbitrary waveform data?  (Read 4733 times)

Offline JopeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi.

I'm interested in buying a Siglent SDG2000X signal generator. I'm also interested in programming it via USB/Ethernet using the Agilent/NI VISA libraries.
There is a "Remote Control Manual", but unfortunately Siglent either forgot or deliberatly not published the remote command for sending
arbitrary waveform data to the device (the same is true for their other signal generator lines, as far as I can see). You have to use their EasyWave
software, and I don't want that. I want to 'build' the waveforms programmatically and then send it directly from my program.

I have contacted Siglent and got nowhere; they referred multiple times to their Remote Control Manual and I told them multiple times that the information is not in there.

Has anybody here more information and/or reverse-engineered the command which is needed to remotely send arbitrary waveform data?
I would really appreciate it.

Offline billfernandez

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDG2000X - Remote command for sending arbitrary waveform data?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:38:47 am »
According to the user manual you can connect via USB or Ethernet.  Both parts of the manual refer to VISA drivers and National Instrument's "Measurement and Automation Explorer".  So I expect that you can make the control connection you want.

I have not found anything in either the user manual or remote control manual that explains how to download a arbitrary waveform directly from a connected PC, so I can't help you there.  I have no idea what EasyWave uses to send arbitrary waveforms to the unit.

But, depending upon your needs maybe this workaround will suffice:  According to the user manual, you can encode a desired waveform into a CSV file, place it on a USB flash drive, insert the flash drive, and use front-panel buttons to load it into the unit.  According to the remote control manual you can issue "virtual key" commands -- essentially "pressing buttons" under remote control.  By combining these two capabilities you could load prerecorded arbitrary waveforms by remote control.  I haven't tried it, and this may not meet your needs, but it's all I could think of after looking through the manuals.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:31:39 am »
The CD that is shipped with a new unit normally has a copy of the programming manual.

Siglent Tech support tells me not all manuals are complete for the SDG2000X series but they will soon be available on Siglent websites.

Many existing manuals are available from:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/down.aspx?id=29

We'll let you know when they're available.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »
So I expect that you can make the control connection you want.

I know that. That's not the problem. The problem is that Siglent (stupidly or deliberately) do not mention the command for sending waveform data in their programming manual.

But, depending upon your needs maybe this workaround will suffice: [...]

Thanks, but no. The whole point of having a programmable arbitrary waveform generator with megabytes of memory for waveform data is to send that waveform data programmatically to it. I have never worked with an arb generator (Agilent,Tek,Keithley,Rigol,...) where the command for sending waveform data to the device was missing in the programming manual. That's just an incredible stupid oversight (or decision) of Siglent.

BTW: This command is also missing in the programming manuals of the SDG800, SDG1000 and SDG5000 series.

I did some research on my own and in another two-year-old thread somebody mentioned that LeCroy's Wavestation 2000 was a rebranded Siglent SDG1000.
Guess what? LeCroy's programming manual does mention a command for sending waveform data to the device! The command is "WVCSV" for send waveform in CSV format.
You bet that's the command EasyWave is using for sending data.

Quote from: tautech
The CD that is shipped with a new unit normally has a copy of the programming manual.
Siglent Tech support tells me not all manuals are complete for the SDG2000X series but they will soon be available on Siglent websites.

I have the programming manual. I have mentioned that in my first post.
Regarding "not being complete": the programming manual of the SDG1000 (being on the market for over three years) still does not mention the command.
And I guess it never will.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:23:16 pm by Jope »

Offline cnkz

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:56:30 pm »
If you have - based on the LeCroy description - an example code, someone could try it out for you...

Siglent America

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 01:49:50 pm »
Hi Jope.

The factory has told me they are rewriting the programming manual.
Until then, I have attached a page from the new manual.
Let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks.
Steve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 04:27:38 pm »
The factory has told me they are rewriting the programming manual.

Great! Thanks!
That is exactly what I was looking for.  ^-^

Offline nazer

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:05 pm »

Could you please elaborate on WAVEDATA format? I also need to upload custom waveforms, but the format of WAVEDATA is not clear from the .pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf