Author Topic: Siglent SDG2042X Hack door closed  (Read 86289 times)

Offline Lustplyt

Re: Siglent SDG2042X Hack door closed
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 09:18:17 am »

what is a custom telnet password?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 10:54:41 am »

what is a custom telnet password?
See reply #11  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline vr2whf

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 04:23:52 pm »
The following link for the previous official firmware is no longer exist.  Anyway to get the older (and hackable) firmware?

EU website.
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj.aspx?id=15&page=4

Offline spidola

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 08:00:45 am »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 12:44:26 pm »
How about this one

There is no old firmware, at least I didn't found it.
I have a copy of SDG2000X-P17R5 and SDG2000_eevblog_23R7. Just write me PM if you're still need it.

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:46 pm »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 08:40:08 pm »
Keep in mind that the newest firmware, 23R7, has a USB recovery mode, for use in case of corrupt software. The older versions do not have that, and the enclosure must be disassembled in order to un-brick them.

Offline Lazyengineer

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 08:24:00 pm »
I just got my brand-new SDG2042X and the Firmware says 23R8 !
Interestingly the latest Firmware I can find online at any Siglent Site is 23R7.
Thus, I am scared to downgrade to find out that my hardware version needs 23R8. And I don't have 23R8 as an install file to go back.
Is there a way to archive the existing loaded Firmware?

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »
IIRC, at least for some devices, Siglent has firmware downloads in multiple pages (and not talking only about different market sites like USA vs. EU), and there can be differences which versions are listed in which page. Might be worth it to browse/google around, just in case, the latest firmware might be there somewhere...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 09:30:47 pm »
IIRC, at least for some devices, Siglent has firmware downloads in multiple pages (and not talking only about different market sites like USA vs. EU), and there can be differences which versions are listed in which page. Might be worth it to browse/google around, just in case, the latest firmware might be there somewhere...
It's not !
We often see new products with FW that has yet to be publicly released and when it is it's most often a newer version again. We just wait for it to be available.
All the FW versions are on the Shenzhen site.
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 02:34:05 pm »
Did anybody find out if it works with the newest firmware 23R8 ?
How about if you downgrade to 23R7?

Are there any hints that the hardware was changed, as to limit it not only in software, but hardware as well?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 02:42:30 pm »

Are there any hints that the hardware was changed, as to limit it not only in software, but hardware as well?

I don't believe that would happen on just a release change R7->R8. I think that would deserve (at least) a minor change in version number.

I don't understand what's the problem with having the new version.

If it's really important I can help Lazyengineer make a total NANDdump backup.

The following users thanked this post: stefi01

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 07:18:35 pm »
Thanks. It was just to help deciding whether I will buy it or not.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 08:02:00 pm »
Thanks. It was just to help deciding whether I will buy it or not.
See recent posts in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ilciumbia

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:49 pm »

I don't believe that would happen on just a release change R7->R8. I think that would deserve (at least) a minor change in version number.

I don't understand what's the problem with having the new version.

If it's really important I can help Lazyengineer make a total NANDdump backup.

I contacted Siglent about this, they told me that 23R8 is identical to 23R7... I don't know If I have to believe that.

Anyway, backing up firmware or NAND would be interesting... How would you do it?

Thanks

Offline MRMILSTAR

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2018, 09:48:24 pm »
I just spent several hours trying to hack my 2042x. It came with R7 firmware so I tried downgrading to several earlier versions all the way back to P21R2 (released 6-17-2016). Every version still wanted a login and password. I then noticed that in the bug fix list that it states that once the FW is updated to version 2.01.01.17R5, then the FW can no longer be downgraded. So even though after I did my downgrades the SDG 2042x showed the downgraded version was installed, telnet still opened with a login prompt.

Does anyone know how to get past this? I suppose it is too much to hope that someone has cracked the login and pass word.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2018, 10:07:29 pm »
I just spent several hours trying to hack my 2042x. It came with R7 firmware so I tried downgrading to several earlier versions all the way back to P21R2 (released 6-17-2016). Every version still wanted a login and password. I then noticed that in the bug fix list that it states that once the FW is updated to version 2.01.01.17R5, then the FW can no longer be downgraded. So even though after I did my downgrades the SDG 2042x showed the downgraded version was installed, telnet still opened with a login prompt.

Does anyone know how to get past this? I suppose it is too much to hope that someone has cracked the login and pass word.
Welcome to the forum.

Check out the last few pages in this thread.  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ShaneEEV

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 02:57:35 pm »
JaneKivi,

The tinyurl link says the file has been deleted. Also, a link to firmware updates for all the instruments still works :

* telnet_SDG1000X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 294 times.)
* telnet_SDG2000X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 477 times.)
* telnet_SDM3045X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 149 times.)
* telnet_SDM3055.zip (223.96 kB - downloaded 154 times.)
* telnet_SDG6000X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 177 times.)
* telnet_SDM3065X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 142 times.)

BUT, when I try to install it, the progress bar gets to 90%, then the SDG2042X indicates the update has failed.

I note other users perform a reboot and can log-in, but my SDG2042X rejects the login that should be allowed by the telnet file.

I have also read in other places on this forum that the login can be done with the latest firmware (23R8), which my unit has from the factory.

I don't see many recent posts, so I'm wondering what I'm missing. I would expect this unit to be very popular, so I'm inclined to believe that I'm missing something others have gotten right.

Can you provide any help?

Best Regards,
Shane

The following users thanked this post: Blue

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 05:09:32 pm »
JaneKivi,

The tinyurl link says the file has been deleted. Also, a link to firmware updates for all the instruments still works :

* telnet_SDG1000X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 294 times.)
* telnet_SDG2000X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 477 times.)
* telnet_SDM3045X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 149 times.)
* telnet_SDM3055.zip (223.96 kB - downloaded 154 times.)
* telnet_SDG6000X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 177 times.)
* telnet_SDM3065X.zip (223.97 kB - downloaded 142 times.)

BUT, when I try to install it, the progress bar gets to 90%, then the SDG2042X indicates the update has failed.

I note other users perform a reboot and can log-in, but my SDG2042X rejects the login that should be allowed by the telnet file.

I have also read in other places on this forum that the login can be done with the latest firmware (23R8), which my unit has from the factory.

I don't see many recent posts, so I'm wondering what I'm missing. I would expect this unit to be very popular, so I'm inclined to believe that I'm missing something others have gotten right.

Can you provide any help?

Best Regards,
Shane

And what is idea to boot it...

You did not read information. First need learn and it need carefully read enough information. And even more important - before you do any changes inside system. There is not "user manual" for this except if you use this forum like user manual... then can say "RTFM"

One tiny tip (you find more and it need your own work ;) )
Read this tip and think if the lamp lights up... ;)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline ShaneEEV

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2019, 01:20:33 am »
Hi RF-Loop,

Thank you for your reply.

I did read all these items, and I even saw your original post prior to you copying it for me to read here.

The ADS information you linked to appears to have more to do with getting access to a scope, than getting access to the generator.

I tried port 22 (saw that in a YouTube video) which worked for the YouTuber, but I get a connection refused if I use that port. 10101 = 21 in my binary to decimal book (16 + 4 + 1), and that port doesn't work either.

I am using a Mac, so I'm using a command line version of telnet, not a GUI, so perhaps I am missing some configuration item there ( I use telnet 192.168.xx.yy <portnum> syntax to open telnet session)

I am not able to discern whatever subtlety your re-post is implying. I could use a differently phrased hint, if you have one. (I am not normally dense, so I apologize for my lack of lucidity here)

If not, I thank you for your time and trouble responding to my initial post.

Best Regards,
Shane

Offline ShaneEEV

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2019, 02:27:11 am »
Figured it out!

For those coming along next, see here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg2371122/?topicseen#msg2371122

check post 319

CHEERS!

The following users thanked this post: john95

Offline john95

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 09:05:24 pm »
Hi, ShaneEEV,

Thanks for the post. The information is scattered around in the messages and you have posted the best summary. I noticed that you also have corrected the SN number issue (#9) in your steps. I know your starting point is 23R8. Only two items are missing from your post.

1) where to get downgrade file and how to downgrade?
2) how to upgrade back to latest version?

Thanks again. I will try to buy one. Everywhere it is sold at list pricer ($499, ie. amazon.com). anywhere to get it cheap?

---------
I found the answer:
just download an earlier version posted several message up (15R2 or 16R2), and unzip, it has an updating instruction.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:35:44 pm by john95 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:45 pm »
Thanks for the post. The information is scattered around in the messages. Is it possible to post a complete path for us? Including
1) what is your pre-updating version?
2) where to get file downgrade file and how to downgrade?
3) instruction to make changes. I saw your instruction on the other post, with someone pointed out some correction. but it should be nice to repost here with fix.

Thanks again. I will try to buy one. Everywhere it is sold at list pricer ($499, ie. amazon.com). anywhere to get it cheap?
Saelig with the EEVblog member discount ............hunt for the thread and ask there for the Saelig discount code.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: john95

Offline john95

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 04:44:47 am »
recap the steps scattered around to here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) SDG2042X: utility->system->system info, note down your Serial number and Software version. for example: 2.01.01.23R8
2) USB drive: format USB drive to FAT format, with MBR (master boot record) scheme. If you use GUID scheme, SDG2402X will not recognize it. It tells you it is removing media drive even you are inserting it in.
3) Firmware: goto https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091, and download telnet_SDG2000X.zip, unzip to telnet_SDG2000X.ADS, put it on USB drive
4) SDG2042X: hook Ethernet cable, turn on SDG2042X, utility->interface->LAN Setup->DHCP on, write down IP address, for example: 192.168.1.20
5) SDG2042X: Insert USB Stick into front panel USB socket, put SDG2042X to utility->/System/Firmware Upgrade->USB0->find file: telnet_SDG2000X.ADS->Recall, updating starts and fails after a while. Yes, it fails. So your version is never changed.
6) SDG2042X: LEAVE POWER ON SDG
7) computer console: access to SDG2042X file. type: telnet <SDG IP address> <SPACE> 10101 <RETURN>, for example: telnet 192.168.1.20 10101
6) computer console, mount driver as writable. type: mount -o remount,rw ubi2_0 /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
7) computer console, make a backup. type: cp /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml.orig
8) computer console, use "vi" editor to edit one file. type: vi /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml
9) computer console, move cursor down by typing "j", and right by "l" to the very first letter "<" of the line <license> and press "x" to delete anything between and including "<license>" and "</license>". After deletion, this line becomes only has "</system_information>". if anything goes wrong, you could exit "vi" editor by "esc" and ":", and "q!", and redo it again.
10) computer console, press the ESC key, then type: "wq" and <RETURN> to save the file
11) remote computer console, type: "sync"
12) SDG2042X: remove USB stick
13) SDG2042X: turn power OFF
14) SDG2042X: check utility->system->system info, and check product type and Serial Number
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:48:14 pm by john95 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf