Author Topic: Keysight EDU33212A bandwidth upgrade (hackable perhaps?)  (Read 711 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Keysight EDU33212A bandwidth upgrade (hackable perhaps?)
« on: November 30, 2023, 07:32:46 pm »
so a new firmware was released for the EDU33212A generator, and while there's no mention of fixing the bugs, they've added support for a bandwidth upgrade called 332BW2U which doesn't appear on their website, but can be found here https://www.meilhaus.de/332bw.htm?b2b=0 the upgrade is very minor and very expensive, adding just an extra 5MHz for a total bandwidth of 25MHz, which i think is only for sine waves(and you can get sine waves well beyond 20MHz using its arb capabilities)

with the PCB having a "30M" label, i wonder if they'll eventually add another upgrade to support that bandwidth, but at that cost... :palm:

anyway, i was able to do some modification of a previous firmware to change the arb waveforms, although not their names, and i am very inexperienced in firmware modification, so perhaps this option can be unlocked by someone more knowledgable!

edit: it really is just 5MHz extra sine wave range
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:37:07 pm by Anthocyanina »

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Keysight EDU33212A bandwidth upgrade (hackable perhaps?)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 09:18:25 pm »
Other than you, me, and Dave I wonder who has one of these and is in a position to play around with it?

I'm mildly embarrassed to have one, Dave was given his, and you won it in competition - so who else exactly is the market?  :popcorn:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 01:19:23 am »
Other than you, me, and Dave I wonder who has one of these and is in a position to play around with it?

I'm mildly embarrassed to have one, Dave was given his, and you won it in competition - so who else exactly is the market?  :popcorn:

yeah, it's unfortunate how little value this generator has for the hobbyists at such a price point, i'm mostly happy with it(minus a few burst and arb bugs, and the slow front panel), but yeah, it not being much value for money makes it very hard to find other people using it who can confirm if something is a bug, or produce software *enhancements* for it. I had a minor incident with milk :palm: that required me to open it to clean the connectors and i saw the cal BNC is also labeled modulation on the pcb, and when you go to modulation, you see an option for source, but only internal is available, which makes me think enabling external modulation should be possible, and that would make this generator that much nicer too.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 07:24:01 am »
I had a minor incident with milk :palm: that required me to open it to clean the connectors and i saw the cal BNC is also labeled modulation on the pcb, and when you go to modulation, you see an option for source, but only internal is available, which makes me think enabling external modulation should be possible, and that would make this generator that much nicer too.

a case of not crying over spilt milk? ::)
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 08:00:23 am »
I had a minor incident with milk :palm: that required me to open it to clean the connectors and i saw the cal BNC is also labeled modulation on the pcb, and when you go to modulation, you see an option for source, but only internal is available, which makes me think enabling external modulation should be possible, and that would make this generator that much nicer too.

a case of not crying over spilt milk? ::)

a case of barely not crying! :scared: fortunately the generator was off, i was fast to take it apart, and the milk *only* got into the usb connector, a bit under the display bezel, and a couple of BNCs  :phew:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf