Author Topic: Siglent SDL1000X/SDL1000X-E Electronic Load  (Read 85885 times)

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDL1000X/SDL1000X-E Electronic Load
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:36 pm »
I ordered them here: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32778229464.html

You can still insert a 4mm banana plug when they are screwed in completely, but the plug will go in about 80-90%. The original base of the red cap is slightly shorter as the one from the SDL1020, so in order to use them as a binding post a washer needs to be put in between the red cap and the stud. The underside of the red cap is similar as the original one, so Yes there is metal underneath for good contact assuming the washer is used.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:21:24 pm by flash2b »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, aheid

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2019, 08:43:16 pm »
But these are just like the standard binding posts you can buy from Hirschmann (rated up to 35A depending on the model).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2019, 09:24:32 pm »
Both Hirschmann and Staubli do not sell M6 binding posts that have a 4mm banana socket inside de plastic cap. The binding posts that Siglent has used are good quality, but for my purpose (low current) the replacement caps are much more handy. I will still use the original caps if I use the load with high current since that has better contact.

Offline tv84Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2019, 04:42:26 pm »
Apart from a 0x70 bytes encrypted header, the FW of the SDL is basically a concatenated group of 3 STM32 programs (unencrypted/unobfuscated).

Parsing attached.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 12:20:21 pm by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Timpert

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2019, 01:55:23 pm »
I am interested if there is a way to upgrade the X-E version to the X version, I couldn't see anything in the menus of the unit I reviewed as far as licence upgrades though :-(
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2019, 07:58:52 pm »
Defpom teardown and review:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:14:31 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »
I ordered them here: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32778229464.html

You can still insert a 4mm banana plug when they are screwed in completely, but the plug will go in about 80-90%. The original base of the red cap is slightly shorter as the one from the SDL1020, so in order to use them as a binding post a washer needs to be put in between the red cap and the stud. The underside of the red cap is similar as the original one, so Yes there is metal underneath for good contact assuming the washer is used.

I ordered from eBay for a bit cheaper:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-M6-60mm-40A-Copper-Binding-Posts-for-Power-terminal-4mm-Banana-plug-Probes/142000039431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just got them and they work well.  I used the spare washers that come with it to keep on the post so I can still use as a standard screw-down binding post.  I'm going to pick up a few extra sets for some other loads.  Thanks for the great idea, flash2b!   :-+

The following users thanked this post: flash2b

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2019, 06:43:49 pm »
There is a possible problem using banana plugs for high current. Most people are going to use the banana leads they have accumulated over time and most of those leads have fairly low current ratings. If they are the cheaper Chinese leads, the ratings may also be grossly exaggerated. I believe Dave did a review of leads and found some of the cheap leads he ordered were actually open as received. Also the compressible springs on some didn’t even break through the oxide layer on the cheap plating so the resistance between the spring and the pin was quite high. You can easily spin these springs when they aren’t plugged in and visualize how much contact area there is between the spring and the pin IF it is making good contact.

I have assembled some leads using high count stranded test wire that will handle higher currents and on the banana plugs have soldered one end of the spring to the center pin to be sure there is good contact. If you look at the photo below of the soldered plug, you will see that I made sure there is a gap left at one end of the spring so when it is compressed, and lengthens, it doesn’t bind. I have used banana leads like this for testing with higher current supplies and electronic loads, but only for short tests. For continuous testing I use #12 or #10 stranded wire and compression lugs and the posts and I wouldn’t trust any banana plug no matter what the claimed rating is. At one place I worked we used what amounted to huge banana plugs rated for 200A so I know there are ways of doing it safely.

Below is a photo of a jack from a B&K Precision 32V/20A bench supply. I got it really cheap because someone had used the hole in the end of the binding post for a banana jack and the high resistance and generated heat melted the post’s plastic mounting hardware. Fortunately the damage was localized to the post so I could repair the unit by buying some of the M6 binding post others have shown. I found these to be of good quality and they do have the 4 mm hole in the end for a banana plug. You can see the dimensions of the binding posts in the photo below. For $7.95 they seem to be a good deal. That being said, I’ll still stick to heavy wire with lugs for any long term testing.     

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2019, 09:17:27 pm »
Just picked up an SDL1020X-E at a price I couldn't pass up.  Quite a bit of capability at this price point.

:-+844618-0

Offline ARM

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2019, 02:12:14 pm »
Hello everybody, is there any news regarding the Easy Load Windows app?
Alternatively do you know an app running on Windows that supports the LXI protocol?
I would like to avoid installing Ubuntu on Win10 just to remote ctrl the load.
Thank you!

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2019, 05:00:10 pm »
It depends on what level of control.  You can actually use EasyScopeX to connect to it to send commands (or a command file) interactively (crude but it works).  PyVISA is available to program in python.

Offline ARM

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2019, 08:58:47 am »
I have just received an official reply from Siglent, stating that they are in the final release testing of the SW, it should be released by the end of October.  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: tautech, aheid

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2019, 10:33:43 am »
New firmware on: https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-electronic-load/#sdl1000x-series

Both files are identical so it seems that it is copied twice. Release notes have nothing interesting to tell about the changes. I did not update yet, since I am @ my work.

Offline tv84Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2019, 11:00:51 am »
New firmware on: https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-electronic-load/#sdl1000x-series

Both files are identical so it seems that it is copied twice. Release notes have nothing interesting to tell about the changes. I did not update yet, since I am @ my work.

:-//

I had already commented this FW in July...

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:22 pm »
It is from April

SDL1000X_X-E_1.1.1.19R1.ADS timestamp is 15.04.2019 (2019/4/15)

And pdf:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revision History
Date                  Version              Revision
2019/4/16        1.1.1.19R1         The first software version.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But software section is empty for now.

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2019, 02:33:37 pm »
I got excited from the date on the Website just to find out that my SDL already had the same firmware......  :palm:

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2019, 04:48:20 pm »
Any news on Windows Software aka "EasyLoad" ?

Als the Siglent site, https://www.siglenteu.com/dc-electronic-load/sdl1000x/ mentions "Includes PC software: Supports SCPI, LabView driver" but I am unable to locate these.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2019, 06:04:49 pm »
Nothing yet  :(
I keep looking for when it's available too and a couple of times/week.

I'll shoot them mail and see how it's coming along.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: flash2b

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2019, 02:00:17 am »
On the one hand, I appreciate Siglent bringing the load to market but am a little disappointed that there isn't any control software yet.  On the other hand, many of the PC software applications that accompany test equipment aren't that good (not just Siglent's but many manufacturers don't put much effort into them).  So, I hope they do take their time and release a good quality application.  Actually, the webservers in the scopes are nice - it would be great if all the equipment had that kind of capability.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, JxR

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2019, 06:32:58 am »
Actually, the webservers in the scopes are nice - it would be great if all the equipment had that kind of capability.

Absolutely agree.  I would really like this to become the standard on newer equipment.  Its disappointing that only a few manufacturers are doing this, and most seem to limit this feature to only their scopes.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2019, 07:14:08 am »
Actually, the webservers in the scopes are nice - it would be great if all the equipment had that kind of capability.

Absolutely agree.  I would really like this to become the standard on newer equipment.  Its disappointing that only a few manufacturers are doing this, and most seem to limit this feature to only their scopes.
Not only scopes, Siglent SVA1000X and SSA3000X Plus models also both have inbuilt webservers.

The more complex models with a heap of features need a fast processor which better lends itself to webserver use and low latency.
Recently hendorog and I were given access to a SVA1015X from here in NZ to Ohio where we could remotely control the UI. A bit of latency from the other side of the world but nonetheless controlling an instrument from that distance was pretty cool.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2019, 11:05:22 pm »
What is your opinion to the Siglent SDL1020X-E vs. Rigol DL3021 topic?
I used until now only Siglent and no Rigol devices. For the electronic load I am not sure what to buy. Has someone arguments? Besides the technical I find the GUI for the Rigol load nice. Also I like the sense Inputs on the front.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2019, 12:38:48 am »
What is your opinion to the Siglent SDL1020X-E vs. Rigol DL3021 topic?
I used until now only Siglent and no Rigol devices. For the electronic load I am not sure what to buy. Has someone arguments? Besides the technical I find the GUI for the Rigol load nice. Also I like the sense Inputs on the front.

There are several threads that discuss the DL3021, and a few for the SDL1000X (it's newer, not as many people have it).  Do you have specific requirements?

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2019, 09:22:07 am »
I have already read the threads to both devices. But an anyone tell me the main differences of both devices.

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2019, 04:24:24 pm »
I bought now a Rigol DL3021 also if I am a Siglent friend, because:
  • Its possible to hack the DL3021 to get a DL3021A
  • DL3021A has at least the specs of the Siglent SDL1000X-E
  • DL3021A has sense inputs at the front with banana plugs
  • DL3021A has a bigger screen and a better GUI
  • DL3021A has a Windows Software to control the device

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo