Author Topic: Siglent SDM3045X - Enough is enough  (Read 19715 times)

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDM3045X - Enough is enough
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2022, 12:30:48 pm »

Ok, thanks.
Tried the attached FW file, but any flashing attempts results in 'update failed'... Are there any special steps to be taken for flashing - especially since the unit may see it as a version downgrade?

Just ignore the errormessage and dont reboot.
Simply telnet the unit at the specified port.
It helps to have notet the IP of the unit first. ;)

After reboot, the unit is back to its normal state.
There is nothing really installed by this ADS file.

Chris

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2022, 01:32:36 pm »

Ok, thanks.
Tried the attached FW file, but any flashing attempts results in 'update failed'... Are there any special steps to be taken for flashing - especially since the unit may see it as a version downgrade?

Just ignore the errormessage and dont reboot.
Simply telnet the unit at the specified port.
It helps to have notet the IP of the unit first. ;)

After reboot, the unit is back to its normal state.
There is nothing really installed by this ADS file.

Chris

Ah, now that's a clever hack! :)

As I've now have backups of my calibration files, I've succesfully flashed the SDM3055X-E patched FW, and it seems to still be in spec with a calibrated voltage source (0.01% on DC voltage), so it still has (at least) that measurement calibrated - I don't have any other precise references to test...
As noted by previous posters, the device shows as SDM3045X. Also, new features added to the 3045X are not (yet) present on the 3055X-E FW, most notably the custom temperature sensor (and I assume the bugfixes, as well :) ).

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2022, 03:34:45 pm »

As I've now have backups of my calibration files, I've succesfully flashed the SDM3055X-E patched FW, and it seems to still be in spec with a calibrated voltage source (0.01% on DC voltage), so it still has (at least) that measurement calibrated - I don't have any other precise references to test...
As noted by previous posters, the device shows as SDM3045X. Also, new features added to the 3045X are not (yet) present on the 3055X-E FW, most notably the custom temperature sensor (and I assume the bugfixes, as well :) ).

I am still curious, if the suggested "reverse hack" from tv84 really works. Afaik, he does not have the unit himself:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3045x-enough-is-enough/msg3938767/#msg3938767

If you would try this, I would be interested in the result.

The device name is defined in NSP_trends_config_info.xml

Chris

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2022, 04:09:01 pm »

I am still curious, if the suggested "reverse hack" from tv84 really works. Afaik, he does not have the unit himself:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3045x-enough-is-enough/msg3938767/#msg3938767

Chris
If you're asking about getting back to being an SDM3045X, yes. It works, as does the hack to make the SDM3045X be an SDM3055X-W.

The following users thanked this post: Ringmodulator

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2022, 04:33:18 pm »
Afaik, he does not have the unit himself:

As the other 99% devices I talk about...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: hammy, 4cx10000, Mortymore, Ringmodulator, n3mmr

Offline pcmihnea

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2022, 10:49:16 am »

Chris
If you're asking about getting back to being an SDM3045X, yes. It works, as does the hack to make the SDM3045X be an SDM3055X-W.

Can confirm as well, using the patched 3045X and 3055X-E firmwares, I can go between them (3045->3055, 3055->3045) without any issues.

Offline mushroom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2022, 05:16:38 pm »
I confirm it does work, 3045X to 3055X-E and 3055X-E to 3045X.
Thanks.

BTW, a cal backup before the "updates" didn't hurt. Who knows... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg3346192/#msg3346192

Now building poor man's Kelvin-ish probes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 05:18:14 pm by mushroom »

Offline jimjam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2023, 03:49:12 am »
For the record, the relay activation when measuring above 2V is so damn annoying. It occurs whether in Manual or Auto.  - its not the noise , its the delay every single time you apply the probe to a point to be measured. 

That does sound very annoying. Does this happen with SDM3055?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2023, 05:21:07 am »
For the record, the relay activation when measuring above 2V is so damn annoying. It occurs whether in Manual or Auto.  - its not the noise , its the delay every single time you apply the probe to a point to be measured. 

That does sound very annoying. Does this happen with SDM3055?
No.

Please do your homework and compare datasheets to see the measurement range differences between 45X and 55 models.
Then study the whole thread where it has been proven the Chinese 55X-E is the same HW as western 45X which can be converted to a 55X-E to not have the annoying range issues 45X has.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline elosoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2023, 09:43:11 am »
I was the OP on the thread, feeling somewhat aggrieved by the switching behaviour at 2V of the SDM3045 even with a manual range setting. i.e. set it to 20V manual range, and measure a voltage of 1.5V everything is normal and the measurement appears on the screen quickly. Measure 2.5V and there is a pause, a click as a relay flips over and then eventually a reading appears.

Folk seem happy to resolve this by flashing firmware from a different model and they also seem happy with the results.  I was not happy with that solution to the problem and I contacted Siglent through the normal channel some 6 months after purchase when I was particularly unhappy at some results I was getting using logging (another reason why having some kind of automatic range switch when in a manual range is absolutely barmy).    I really shouldn't have left it so long and I was not expecting much of a response.  To their credit, I had an answer very quickly  from a senior figure in Siglent. Flashing different firmware was not a solution but Siglent could not have been more supportive. 

I now have an SDM3055 which I should have purchased in the first place (they aren't much more cash than the 3045) and overall I am pleased with it. 

I have read some criticism of Siglent by folk feeling let down by unresponsive Siglent support.    I can only comment with any authority on my own experiences and for me Siglent support has been nothing but good, and I have been left  feeling pleased to be a Siglent customer both for this meter and for some other kit that I also have. Although not involvd with my particular case I also would commend the enthusiasm of our friend Tautech for his support, not just to his own Siglent customers but to folk all over the world through this forum and privately in the background. Well done !

Eloso

The following users thanked this post: jimjam, 2N3055

Offline MarkKn

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2023, 03:05:32 am »
My 3045 locked up again—simply measuring dc voltage and it locked in ‘overload’ power off and on resolved. Looking forward to some better firmware.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2023, 03:49:15 am »
My 3045 locked up again—simply measuring dc voltage and it locked in ‘overload’ power off and on resolved. Looking forward to some better firmware.
What version are you on ?

Latest is Version: V5.01.01.07R1
Please confirm boot settings ? Default or Last ?

For the last year or so every unit leaves here set to Last and as yet not been contacted by customers with boot problems. Something you might like to also try as if we can find settings that lead to freezes we have better info to give the SW engineers to provide a fix.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2023, 05:33:24 am »
I have read some criticism of Siglent by folk feeling let down by unresponsive Siglent support.

There are sometimes no answers to reported bugs found in the software or questions about when to expect a fix for the software.

Personally, I received a reply to one email, but not to the next e-mail  :-//

Dear ......,

This is a know issue and will be solved with the next FW update.

Just looking at the fact that the last version of the software is from August 2021 and now we are in February 2023 is not a very comforting answer. Especially since the problem was reported a long time ago.

Yes, this problem can be circumvented, but it does not change the fact that such errors should be corrected, and not searched for ways to circumvent them.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

The following users thanked this post: jimjam

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2023, 03:43:42 pm »
Did the problem exist in the previous version of the firmware?
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline bobt

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2023, 12:02:01 pm »
Hi,

So, the SDM3055X-E firmware seems to work on the SDM3045.
This tread did not answer me if it is a real improvement vs the original firmware other than issues around 2 volts ( relais clicking )
Or Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2023, 01:04:32 pm »
Well it is now a 5.5 digit DMM instead of a 4.5 digit DMM. Function-wise the firmware is (afaik) identical.

The following users thanked this post: bobt

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2023, 02:42:30 pm »
The resolution and functions should be identical to the SDM3055, but the accuracy would still be lower as the hardware has a few cheaper parts. In addition the calibration can be a bit questionable after the FW change, as there are different ranges. Ideally one would compare it to some reference before and after the FW change to see if something goes wrong - I would not expect it, but better check.

A big advantage with small voltages can be  having a resolution of 1 µV in the 200 mV range compared to 10 µV in the 600 mV range. 10 µV resolution would work up to a little over 2 V.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2023, 06:49:36 am »
I have not changed the boot settings. It freezes up randomly while measuring dc voltage. I have 2 2045, only 1 freezes. Maybe I can get a replacement. Bought on amazon oct 24, 2022. I suspect its not a firmware issue.
Detailed reply in the SDM3045X, 3055 and 3065X thread.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg4752410/#msg4752410
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bobt

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2023, 01:08:50 pm »
In addition the calibration can be a bit questionable after the FW change, as there are different ranges. Ideally one would compare it to some reference before and after the FW change to see if something goes wrong - I would not expect it, but better check.

basically that is my main concern as I don't have access (yet) to any references..

For now the dmm is 'upgraded', calibration saved and original firmware downloaded and changed if I want to go back to the original version.

Thanks,
Bob

Offline MarkKn

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2023, 01:09:53 am »

For the last year or so every unit leaves here set to Last and as yet not been contacted by customers with boot problems. Something you might like to also try as if we can find settings that lead to freezes we have better info to give the SW engineers to provide a fix.

Thank you for looking into this. I did not change the boot setting and it was set to factory. I changed it to last. I don't know what that setting does, but from your comment, I am interpreting that as a suggestion to boot from last to reduce problems. I note that it has booted without problems, and froze up later, but I am willing to try and see if that helps. Since the problem is intermittent, not sure of a way of knowing that its fixed...

I did register the product with siglent and sent them an inquiry as to warranty service. On the siglent website I was looking at, I could not find anything listing the process for seeking repair under warranty. The email was to sales, but perhaps they will know where to forward it. I am in USA. I like the meter quite a bit in general, I have two of them, but this occasional locking up is concerning. I note that it has only been booted 23 times--I don't use it often.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:11:59 am by MarkKn »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2023, 02:21:38 am »

Thank you for looking into this. I did not change the boot setting and it was set to factory. I changed it to last. I don't know what that setting does, but from your comment, I am interpreting that as a suggestion to boot from last to reduce problems. I note that it has booted without problems, and froze up later, but I am willing to try and see if that helps. Since the problem is intermittent, not sure of a way of knowing that its fixed...

I did register the product with siglent and sent them an inquiry as to warranty service. On the siglent website I was looking at, I could not find anything listing the process for seeking repair under warranty. The email was to sales, but perhaps they will know where to forward it. I am in USA. I like the meter quite a bit in general, I have two of them, but this occasional locking up is concerning. I note that it has only been booted 23 times--I don't use it often.
This conversation belongs here where you can read my detailed reply and requests:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg4753937/#msg4753937

Please shift the conversation there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bobt

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2023, 04:40:47 pm »
FYI,

I have received a simple voltage reference... 2.5,5,7.5 and 10 volts measured exactly the same ( depending on the number of digits available ) for the 3045X and 3055X-E firmwares..

Have not checked anything else yet but for sure looks promising

Bob

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, KungFuJosh, eklein

Offline jemarro12

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2023, 07:12:39 pm »
Hi, i´ve used described method to change fw to 3055x-e and then reverted back to 3045x-e and it works flawlessly. No differences in measure (apart from 1+ digit).
When 'hacked' to 3055x-e no problem updating new firmware  (as SDM3055X-E_2.01.01.15R1).
I´m really glad to tv84 and all of u guys for the effort!!
Sould be able to open telnet when hacked to sdm3055x-e?? i´m only able to telnet when using telnet_SDM3045X.ads. This fw is only usable when prodID is 3045x (can´t use telnet over sdm3055x-e)

Thanks!!

The following users thanked this post: eklein

Offline WimV

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2024, 07:35:48 pm »
Is it only possible to go from SDM3045X to SDM3055S-E or can I also go to SDM3055? I ask so because the frimware of SDM3055 has evolved much further than that of SDM3055X-E. thx in advance.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2024, 08:39:06 pm »
Is it only possible to go from SDM3045X to SDM3055S-E or can I also go to SDM3055? I ask so because the frimware of SDM3055 has evolved much further than that of SDM3055X-E. thx in advance.

Not likely, they're different hardware. The SDM3045X and the SDM3055X-E are the same hardware. There's a dedicated thread now for the upgrade: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sdm3045x-to-sdm3055x-e-improvement-thread/msg5051191/#msg5051191

I own both the SDM3055X-E upgraded DMM, and the SDM3055. They're both great, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything switching between the 2 (except the fan noise).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 09:51:57 pm by KungFuJosh »
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf