Author Topic: Siglent SDM3045X - OS crashes  (Read 6814 times)

Offline KD9CJXTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SDM3045X - OS crashes
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:59:48 am »
Good evening,

I recently purchased a Siglent SDM3045X DMM on Amazon (new). Everything worked initially, but after being on for an hour, it seemed to hang up/crash while taking a measurement. I rebooted the device and it worked for a few minutes before crashing again (while taking a reading on a 7.2v battery of all things...) this time it completely locked up. Power button was not operational. So I disconnected the power cable and let it sit for a minute - GOT A BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! I didn't know Microsoft made DMM (HAHA)

So I contacted Amazon and they told me to contact Siglent directly. Waiting for their reply as it's 8pm CST here. Anyone have this issue before? Is it just a firmware issue and could be resolved by updating? I'd just like to send it back as it failed almost immediately out of the box but if it's something silly easy like plugging it into the computer and uploading a new version of the firmware, I might give it a go.

Joe
KD9CJX

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Re: Siglent SDM3045X - OS crashes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 02:23:14 am »
Joe,

I had an SDM3045X that would hang at the Siglent splash screen.  It was fixable with a firmware recovery USB key.  Your unit's symptoms sound a bit more dire, and my guess is that Siglent NA would tell you to send it to them for repair.  :(

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 05:58:18 am »
Good evening,

I recently purchased a Siglent SDM3045X DMM on Amazon (new). Everything worked initially, but after being on for an hour, it seemed to hang up/crash while taking a measurement. I rebooted the device and it worked for a few minutes before crashing again (while taking a reading on a 7.2v battery of all things...) this time it completely locked up. Power button was not operational. So I disconnected the power cable and let it sit for a minute - GOT A BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! I didn't know Microsoft made DMM (HAHA)

So I contacted Amazon and they told me to contact Siglent directly. Waiting for their reply as it's 8pm CST here. Anyone have this issue before? Is it just a firmware issue and could be resolved by updating? I'd just like to send it back as it failed almost immediately out of the box but if it's something silly easy like plugging it into the computer and uploading a new version of the firmware, I might give it a go.

Joe
KD9CJX
Welcome to the forum.

At best depending on which firmware version is installed Siglent in Ohio will share with you USB boot recovery files which should fix it and also update it to a later firmware version but not the latest which was released just a few days ago. Then you need to install the latest version and should have no further issues.
You can find it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg2798110/#msg2798110

Otherwise it needs go back to Siglent NA for more advanced recovery techniques or even mainboard replacement, all of which will be under warranty.

As much as I understand that buyers get stuff from Amazon for some piece of mind  ::) buying from authorized dealers will give you better support if yo should ever need it and likely update the firmware too before dispatch.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:51:33 am »

Welcome to the forum.

At best depending on which firmware version is installed Siglent in Ohio will share with you USB boot recovery files which should fix it and also update it to a later firmware version but not the latest which was released just a few days ago. Then you need to install the latest version and should have no further issues.
You can find it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg2798110/#msg2798110

Otherwise it needs go back to Siglent NA for more advanced recovery techniques or even mainboard replacement, all of which will be under warranty.

As much as I understand that buyers get stuff from Amazon for some piece of mind  ::) buying from authorized dealers will give you better support if yo should ever need it and likely update the firmware too before dispatch.

Thanks - it was running v5.01.01.05 already. But for kicks and giggles I updated it to 5.01.01.05R3.

I left it running overnight connected to my DC power supply just to see what happened and it worked fine. So the glitch/crash hasn't happened again. I'm going to run it a couple of days with the new firmware just to see what happens. Besides, Siglent USA isn't going to be open for the Thanksgiving holiday, so that gives it a chance to redeem itself.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 05:55:18 am »

Welcome to the forum.

You can find it here:

Thanks - it was running v5.01.01.05 already. But for kicks and giggles I updated it to 5.01.01.05R3.

I left it running overnight connected to my DC power supply just to see what happened and it worked fine. So the glitch/crash hasn't happened again. I'm going to run it a couple of days with the new firmware just to see what happens. Besides, Siglent USA isn't going to be open for the Thanksgiving holiday, so that gives it a chance to redeem itself.

OK, cool.
Version 5.01.01.03 allowed for USB recovery anyways so we could've helped if you got stuck.
Now you're on 5.01.01.05R3 there shouldn't be any further issues.
Sing out if you have any problems.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:06:55 am »
Update - it locked up again, but I think it's because it's stacked on top of a Siglent SDG1032x generator. When I turn the waveform generator off it doesn't lock up...

I think I need to work on some shielding. Quite unfortunate because the X series is supposed to be stackable.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 04:18:39 am »
I would send it back. It's either defective or defective by design. A multimeter should just work, always, under any normal circumstances. You should not have to fabricate your own shielding or modify anything to keep it from crashing. You have this problem now, what other problems will it have in the future?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 04:23:46 am »
Update - it locked up again, but I think it's because it's stacked on top of a Siglent SDG1032x generator. When I turn the waveform generator off it doesn't lock up...

I think I need to work on some shielding. Quite unfortunate because the X series is supposed to be stackable.
Hmmm, it really shouldn’t !
Did you have any USB or LAN connected ?
Has it happened more that once ?

Try stacking them the other way round to see if that makes a difference.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 12:23:22 pm »
I would send it back. It's either defective or defective by design. A multimeter should just work, always, under any normal circumstances. You should not have to fabricate your own shielding or modify anything to keep it from crashing. You have this problem now, what other problems will it have in the future?

I agree; but it sounds like you just got a lemon.  My SDM3045X and SDM3055 are rock solid, they stack just fine.     

Save yourself the trouble and don't waste any more time troubleshooting this, send it back to Amazon and just get a replacement. 

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:33:50 pm »

Hmmm, it really shouldn’t !
Did you have any USB or LAN connected ?
Has it happened more that once ?

Try stacking them the other way round to see if that makes a difference.

Full disclosure - I'm a ham (should be obvious based on the screen name) and there's RF all over in here. Half of me thinks "Just send it back" but as a ham I should be able to A) determine source of RF interference, and B) eliminate it with extreme prejudice!

I'm going to swap the two units around. Will also see if I have a ferrite choke or two for the power cord. Also have to admit my workbench is quite small. I have a new one coming in the next month or so, so more room for gear. Maybe more isolation? Who knows. I could always wrap it in aluminum foil...I used that trick once when the satellite receiver on my wife's TV went crazy every time I tuned up on 40 meters!

It's the journey, not the destination!

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:37:55 am »
Should be able to, yes, but shouldn't have to in this case. I'd be concerned that anything you do to correct the problem is simply masking a bigger issue which could come back to bite you later. Maybe there's a marginal component in there that is more susceptible to interference than it ought to be. Who knows.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 12:52:24 am »
Should be able to, yes, but shouldn't have to in this case. I'd be concerned that anything you do to correct the problem is simply masking a bigger issue which could come back to bite you later. Maybe there's a marginal component in there that is more susceptible to interference than it ought to be. Who knows.

Could be the signal generator for all I know. Just don't break the warranty seal ;)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 01:03:49 am »
Well it sounds like you're determined to follow this one through, keep us posted on the results and keep tabs on your window of opportunity to return and/or exchange it.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 01:13:22 am »
My vote would be to return it and get a different one.  Did you know that you can get an EEVblog discount when buying from Saelig.com?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 11:59:17 pm »
Greetings all!

Just an update - due to the COVID I got around to sending the Siglent 3045x in for warranty repair around 3/11/20. Let me first say their staff has been very good at returning emails and I understand that they are running on a skeleton crew due to the virus. They are running about 4 weeks behind on warranty repairs. They reflashed the OS and let it run over a weekend - no issues. I received it back around June 11th. On the first boot, it crashed, and again on the next two boots. It seemed to warm up and stabilize after that, but not acceptable.

I emailed them right away that night and got a response the next business day. This time they paid for the shipping both ways (not just return as the first one) and replaced the main board. Another 30 day turn around - just got it back today (July 10th)

It booted right up and seems to be stable. I've cycled it a few times and done some basic measurements with no crashes, so hopefully it was just a hardware issue that is now resolved. While the 30 day turn around sucks, it is what it is given our current circumstances.

I will give kudos to the Siglent NA team for being responsive and taking responsibility for shipping the 2nd time around. They did stand behind their warranty and I'm currently happy with the meter. Nice sized screen - I keep it about 18" above my work bench while working on radios, so it's almost at eye level. The 4 1/2 resolution is nice - I'm not someone who needs uber-accurate measurments to the umteenth degree.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 07:07:24 am »
Good evening,

Joe
KD9CJX
Hi if giant Amazon is not an authorized dealer, then what are they ? How do they get them for sale ? Amazon has it's own refund policy, at least short term, so I guess people aren't totally screwed.

I bought my Siglent gear from a Canadian store, I never asked if they are an authorized dealer or about warranty, I guess I better find out.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 07:13:52 am »
Hi if giant Amazon is not an authorized dealer, then what are they ? How do they get them for sale ? Amazon has it's own refund policy, at least short term, so I guess people aren't totally screwed.

I bought my Siglent gear from a Canadian store, I never asked if they are an authorized dealer or about warranty, I guess I better find out.
I believe Siglent NA have a store on Amazon however why put an intermediary between the buyer and Siglent's US branch ?
Something I never understood.  :-//

You can find all the NA dealers here:
https://siglentna.com/how-to-buy/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 06:44:41 pm »
I have two SDM3045X.

As a data point I can say they sometimes seem sensitive to static and I have seen them hang when changing leads and such - but only on dry days in my shop.  A power cycle has always recovered me to normal.

HTH...

The following users thanked this post: tautech, KD9CJX

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 01:11:46 am »
It sounds more like a manufacturing defect...Since they replaced the main board it has worked fine.

Offline gbo75000

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 03:01:48 pm »
Hello,
sorry for my bad english. I have an SDM3045X which freezes on the splash screen. This problem seems to happen a lot with this model ... My multimeter is no longer guaranteed, so I would love to try and troubleshoot it without sending it back to Siglent. I did not receive a response from Siglent Europe when I requested a restoration kit.
By reading this topic, I understood that this kit exists. Can you help me ??
Thank you very much.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 06:29:20 pm »
Hello,
sorry for my bad english. I have an SDM3045X which freezes on the splash screen. This problem seems to happen a lot with this model ... My multimeter is no longer guaranteed, so I would love to try and troubleshoot it without sending it back to Siglent. I did not receive a response from Siglent Europe when I requested a restoration kit.
Thank you very much.
Welcome to the forum.

Yes a SDM3045X recovery package does exist.
Send me a PM with your email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: gbo75000

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 03:28:54 pm »
Hello,
Thank you very much.

Please inform what date and how you have tried contact or just what Siglent email address you have used exactly when you try contact Siglent EU office  without answer.
This very important to know for find why you have not get any answer. No one can develop these support things if problem is unknown.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:34:54 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline gbo75000

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 09:56:58 am »
Thanks a lot !!!! It's alive  :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you very much tautech  :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 10:12:04 am »
Thanks a lot !!!! It's alive  :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you very much tautech  :-+
No worries glad to help.  :)

Please send me mail as I have a question.
TIA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline AlexDel

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 12:44:27 pm »
Hi,

I have an SDM3045X with the same problem -  OS crashes, freezes on splash screen.
Can you help me?
Thank you very much.

Offline AlexDel

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:12 am »
Thanks for your support, Rob (from Tautech )!
The recovery was successful and my multimeter is now working.

Offline johandm_be

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2021, 12:46:57 pm »
Hi,

My name is Johan, and I live in Belgium. I am the proud owner of Siglent SPD3303X-E, SDG2042X and SDM3045X.

The latter: SDM3045X no longer boots. The symptoms are exactly the same as described in this thread: when i power it on, I get the "Siglent" splash screen, but it does not boot further.

Would it be possible to help me get the firmware recovery package?

Thanks in advance - best regards,
Johan.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2021, 07:05:53 pm »
Hi,

My name is Johan, and I live in Belgium. I am the proud owner of Siglent SPD3303X-E, SDG2042X and SDM3045X.

The latter: SDM3045X no longer boots. The symptoms are exactly the same as described in this thread: when i power it on, I get the "Siglent" splash screen, but it does not boot further.

Johan.
Welcome to the forum.

Sure, send me a PM with your email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline JohnInHK

• A long time electronics engineer and enthusiast.
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 05:01:34 am »
Hi from Hong Kong.

I'd also like to warmly acknowledge Rob (TauTech) and his excellent support in helping to bring my SDM3045X back to life which was also stuck at the bootup Siglent screen.  Mine was an early model(?) bought February 2018 and didn't respond to front panel USB update. Required the internal SD card recovery.

Thank you very much Rob.

Cheers,
John

Offline kortatus

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »
Hi,

I have an SDM3045X with an big problem! -  OS crashes, freezes on splash screen...when i power it on,
I get the "Siglent" splash screen, but it does not boot, can you help me would it be possible to help me get the firmware recovery package?
Thank you very much.

Sorry for my bad english.

kortatus.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 08:11:51 pm »
Hi,

I have an SDM3045X with an big problem! -  OS crashes, freezes on splash screen...when i power it on,
I get the "Siglent" splash screen, but it does not boot, can you help me would it be possible to help me get the firmware recovery package?
Thank you very much.

Sorry for my bad english.

kortatus.
Welcome to the forum

PM sent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: kortatus

Offline kortatus

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 10:24:54 pm »
its alive!, its alive!, its alive, again!!!  :)

Thank you very much Mr. Rob.!

Thanks for your support.

Thanks in advance - best regards

kortatus.

Offline Loulou2323

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 04:18:03 pm »
My DM3045X no longer starts. The symptoms are exactly the same as described in this thread: when I turn it on, I get the "Siglent" boot screen, but it doesn't boot further.

Thank you in advance, truthfully yours,

Offline Ted toto

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2023, 08:14:48 am »
Hello,

I have an SDM3045X with the same problem - the operating system freezes, freezes on the home screen.
Please help me
Thank you very much.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2023, 08:20:03 am »
Hello,

I have an SDM3045X with the same problem - the operating system freezes, freezes on the home screen.
Please help me
Thank you very much.
Welcome to the forum.

Received your PM, please check yours.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Wlandy

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2023, 04:34:53 pm »
Hi,

Unfortunately I also have the problem that my SDM3045X gets stuck in the start logo. But luckily there is this forum where some people have already been able to fix the problem with the FW recovery package. It would be very nice if someone could provide me with the package.
Thank you very much
Andreas

Offline Rams

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2023, 03:42:15 am »
Hello everyone,

I recently got a used Siglent SDM3045X as a gift from a friend. After I tried to turn it on, the screen only shows the Siglent logo without any changes. I think the problem is like others on this forum. For information according to the serial number my DMM was produced in spring 2019 (code No.8: C3).
I would really appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance
Best regards,

Rams

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2023, 06:41:44 am »
Hello everyone,

I recently got a used Siglent SDM3045X as a gift from a friend. After I tried to turn it on, the screen only shows the Siglent logo without any changes. I think the problem is like others on this forum. For information according to the serial number my DMM was produced in spring 2019 (code No.8: C3).
I would really appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance
Best regards,

Rams
Rams, send me a PM with your email address.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Rams

Offline Tabz

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2024, 12:20:11 pm »
Hello, I'm from France and I'm a new member of the club of those having a SDM3045 stuck at boot screen.
I've mailed Siglent at this site :
https://siglentna.com/contact-us/
but no response after two weeks.

I'll send a PM to tautech to beg his help...
Tabz

Offline Tabz

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2024, 10:48:32 am »
Hello.
Tautech sent me files and saved my multimeter. A great thanks to him.
For info, I've used a very old 512 Mo USB 2.0 stick, originaly FAT32 formatted, for recovery and update.

Tabz

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2024, 11:28:34 am »
Hello, I'm from France and I'm a new member of the club of those having a SDM3045 stuck at boot screen.
I've mailed Siglent at this site :
https://siglentna.com/contact-us/
but no response after two weeks.

That's poor service from the NA subsiduary. Also, this seems to be such a common problem that the Siglent mothership should have issued a technical bulletin, along with the necessary rescue instructions and software, all available for download as and when required. That said, Keysight are the masters of NAND corruption and they just give you the bird if you're out of warranty, or not a business.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf