Author Topic: Siglent SDM3055 - stuck on boot screen  (Read 30621 times)

Offline ODJeetje

Re: Siglent SDM3055 - stuck on boot screen
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2023, 06:31:58 pm »
Hello forum,

I ran into trouble with my SDM3055 at work. It's an early model with the old type rubber corners.
Up till recently it took all the firmware updates without any problems. (Latest uploaded version was V1.01.01.25)
When I tried to update to the newer version V1.01.01.27R2 it did not detect the USB stick, although it's the stick I have been using before.
After some failing attempts I tried to update bij putting the .ADS file onto a uSD card and used the slot on the main board.
I wish I hadn't done that...

Now the unit won't even boot anymore.
I'm left with a black screen, a blinking LED on the mainboard and a blip from the piezo every few seconds...

Is there a way to bring this one to life again?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2023, 06:35:45 pm »
Hello forum,

I ran into trouble with my SDM3055 at work. It's an early model with the old type rubber corners.
Up till recently it took all the firmware updates without any problems. (Latest uploaded version was V1.01.01.25)
When I tried to update to the newer version V1.01.01.27R2 it did not detect the USB stick, although it's the stick I have been using before.
After some failing attempts I tried to update bij putting the .ADS file onto a uSD card and used the slot on the main board.
I wish I hadn't done that...

Now the unit won't even boot anymore.
I'm left with a black screen, a blinking LED on the mainboard and a blip from the piezo every few seconds...

Is there a way to bring this one to life again?
Welcome to the forum.

I too wish you hadn't done that.  :palm:
But we can fix it.
Send me PM with your email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rooduction

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2023, 07:56:32 am »
Dear Forum

I found all your entries searching for the same topic on the web, and I think I am in the right place.
Beeing a hobby electronics guy, I work on some projects from time to time only.
During the last years I rarely touched my equipment and as I wanted to fire up my osciloscope yesterday it was stuck on the boot screen.

I already tried the Math-Button-Trick, and it changed the lighting of the buttons, in combination with some internal relay switching.
It is a "SIGLENT SDS 1102CML+" and when stuck it shows the logo on screen and the LEDs of the Channel 1-, Utility- and Run/Stop-Button glow. (Probably some kind of error code?)
What other information do I need to provide for proper analysation?

Can somebody probably help me with this?

Greetings from Austria
Yours, Robert

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2023, 07:59:23 am »
Dear Forum

I found all your entries searching for the same topic on the web, and I think I am in the right place.
During the last years I rarely touched my equipment and as I wanted to fire up my osciloscope yesterday it was stuck on the boot screen.

I already tried the Math-Button-Trick, and it changed the lighting of the buttons, in combination with some internal relay switching.
It is a "SIGLENT SDS 1102CML+" and when stuck it shows the logo on screen and the LEDs of the Channel 1-, Utility- and Run/Stop-Button glow. (Probably some kind of error code?)

Greetings from Austria
Yours, Robert
Welcome to the forum.

Not really the correct thread but nevermind.
Send me a PM with your email address.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: rooduction

Offline dfharman

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2023, 07:00:14 pm »
Hi,

I have an SDM3055 and turned it on this morning to get the dreaded stuck on boot screen issue!  I've my SDM3055 for a couple of years, use it every few weeks, but haven't updated the firmware on it for a good few months - I think I last updated it to 20R2.

Help! Would it be possible to get the recovery file please??

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2023, 07:05:28 pm »
Hi,

I have an SDM3055 and turned it on this morning to get the dreaded stuck on boot screen issue!  I've my SDM3055 for a couple of years, use it every few weeks, but haven't updated the firmware on it for a good few months - I think I last updated it to 20R2.

Help! Would it be possible to get the recovery file please??
Welcome to the forum.

More than a couple of years as 20R2 is from late 2019 !
Send PM with your email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline dfharman

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2023, 07:17:48 am »
Thanks Tautech, pm sent.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2023, 07:27:26 am »
Thanks Tautech, pm sent.
Email returned.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline maralb

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2023, 11:39:23 am »
Forgive me if this is already asked before: is this problem related to certain hardware revisions or firmware versions or can this happen to all SDM3055's?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2023, 06:06:11 pm »
Forgive me if this is already asked before: is this problem related to certain hardware revisions or firmware versions or can this happen to all SDM3055's?
It's a NAND management issue like HPAK had with their DSO's.
Latest firmware versions solve these issues.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: maralb

Offline dfharman

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2023, 07:19:22 pm »
Thanks Tautech, all sorted!  :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline ds_user

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2023, 02:16:37 pm »
Thanks for sharing info about the SDM3055 firmware issue. I did get "5.5 digital DMM USB recovery and instruction.zip" but it does not work on a 2GB, 8GB flash drive, freshly formatted to FAT32 and copied the 8 files (no matter with or without the instruction PDF). I also tried a 8GB micro sd card. Not working either.

Then I tried to open the case and push the microsd into the internal card slot. Still doesn't work. Did I do anything wrong?

Also I tried to prevent the bug from happening on another SDM3055, presumably the same batch. It shows:
SW Version ID: 1.01.01.19
HW Version ID: 03-00-00-13-00

But the meter does not show any thing when I plug flash drive in the front, nor will it be recognized as a hardware on computer from the USB on the back with a cable, how can I update firmware on that?

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2023, 02:22:56 pm »
Thanks for sharing info about the SDM3055 firmware issue. I did get "5.5 digital DMM USB recovery and instruction.zip" but it does not work on a 2GB, 8GB flash drive, freshly formatted to FAT32 and copied the 8 files (no matter with or without the instruction PDF). I also tried a 8GB micro sd card. Not working either.

Then I tried to open the case and push the microsd into the internal card slot. Still doesn't work. Did I do anything wrong?

Also I tried to prevent the bug from happening on another SDM3055, presumably the same batch. It shows:

But the meter does not show any thing when I plug flash drive in the front, nor will it be recognized as a hardware on computer from the USB on the back with a cable, how can I update firmware on that?

Try formatting your flash drive with this first: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

For your other 3055 that still works, just update the normal way to the latest firmware.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2023, 02:38:56 pm »

AFAIR the software for the USB is not the same to put in the internal slot. @tautech is better to explain.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2023, 06:31:45 pm »
I did get "5.5 digital DMM USB recovery and instruction.zip" but it does not work on a 2GB, 8GB flash drive, freshly formatted to FAT32 and copied the 8 files (no matter with or without the instruction PDF). I also tried a 8GB micro sd card. Not working either.
From whom ?

Yep, big time.
Contact NA HQ to return it and be properly recovered.

Only the front USB is used with USB sticks and the GUI should flag when a USB stick is inserted with the USB symbol. Access to the FW update menu is within the Utility menu.

Download this latest firmware, unzip and study the update instructions for any special steps required to update from this now very old 1.01.01.19 firmware.
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/A_multimeter/SDM3055_V1.01.01.27R2_EN.zip

Download any other versions required from here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=26
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rooduction

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2023, 08:38:55 pm »
Dear Forum

Greetings from Austria
Yours, Robert
Welcome to the forum.

Not really the correct thread but nevermind.
Send me a PM with your email address.

Thank you, tautech - Recovery worked like a charm - Thank you very much for all your help!
Please keep up the great work.

Greetings from Austria
Yours, Robert

Offline ds_user

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2023, 09:09:21 pm »
I did get "5.5 digital DMM USB recovery and instruction.zip" but it does not work on a 2GB, 8GB flash drive, freshly formatted to FAT32 and copied the 8 files (no matter with or without the instruction PDF). I also tried a 8GB micro sd card. Not working either.
From whom ?

Yep, big time.

Only the front USB is used with USB sticks and the GUI should flag when a USB stick is inserted with the USB symbol. Access to the FW update menu is within the Utility menu.

Download this latest firmware, unzip and study the update instructions for any special steps required to update from this now very old 1.01.01.19 firmware.
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/A_multimeter/SDM3055_V1.01.01.27R2_EN.zip

Thanks for your detailed reply, I got recovery from siglentna.com. And it doesn't work in my case.

Also unfortunately the USB drive does not show anything in the working unit. I tested there are 5V on USB port and steady 0.0022V on D+ and D-, through a new USB extension cable. So it shouldn't be a connection issue. Maybe that unit also need to be shipped back for repair?   

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2023, 09:13:22 pm »
Also unfortunately the USB drive does not show anything in the working unit. I tested there are 5V on USB port and steady 0.0022V on D+ and D-, through a new USB extension cable. So it shouldn't be a connection issue. Maybe that unit also need to be shipped back for repair?

Did you try formatting a USB drive with the formatter I linked above?

It sounds like your flash drives are either incompatible, or more likely, poorly formatted. Or you might need to wait longer for the DMM to register the USB drive.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2023, 10:16:04 pm »
From whom ?

Yep, big time.

Thanks for your detailed reply, I got recovery from siglentna.com. And it doesn't work in my case.
If the FW was 1.01.01.19 it will work but it seems instructions from NA were not detailed enough.  ::)

Also unfortunately the USB drive does not show anything in the working unit. I tested there are 5V on USB port and steady 0.0022V on D+ and D-, through a new USB extension cable. So it shouldn't be a connection issue.

With latest firmware ?
Maybe that unit also need to be shipped back for repair?
If you're struggling with FW updates you should and maybe get the Cal checked too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ds_user

« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2023, 10:47:28 am »

Did you try formatting a USB drive with the formatter I linked above?

It sounds like your flash drives are either incompatible, or more likely, poorly formatted. Or you might need to wait longer for the DMM to register the USB drive.

Thanks for sharing the tool. Unfortualy it did not work in my case. I tried the tool, format in win11, format in Ubuntu, nothing works.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2023, 02:31:09 pm »
1. Change USB disk.
2. Format in linux.
3. Try flashing FW.
4. If still doesn't work, go to Step 1.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2023, 03:19:00 pm »
What tv84 said. If flashing with that utility or in Linux doesn't work, the drive is very likely the problem.

Offline CobblePro

« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2023, 03:17:16 pm »
I have the same problem. Started 2 days ago.  I wonder if there was a bad batch of meters that all started failing in the last few months?

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2023, 12:19:32 pm »
+1
I bought my 3055 end of 2020.
Since then I did some FW updates, last was most probably SDM3055_V1.01.01.27R2_EN from April 2023.

After that , the 3055 has been in use several times without any problem.

Today it stucks on boot screen after power on.     :scared:
Power off/on does not help.

Do I need to contact Siglent, or is there a more efficient way to solve the issue?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2023, 12:44:57 pm »
Wait until Tautech is back online and read your post. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf