Author Topic: Siglent SDM3055 - stuck on boot screen  (Read 30651 times)

Offline petardfrancois

Re: Siglent SDM3055 - stuck on boot screen
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2023, 10:18:57 am »
Bonjour  :)

I have this problem which appeared on my SDM3045x.
At first, the screen was stuck on the Siglent logo, I called the after-sales service of the distributor who sent me by email with the recovery file (for version 5.01.01.03 or more)

I used a 4G USB key but the boot didn't do anything, so suddenly I used an 8G micro SD card to attempt to boot from the main board PCB socket... and now the multimeter turns on with a black screen.

- the LED of the analog card flashes 2x per second.
-The microprocessor LED is on.

I also noticed that the label of the analog card is noted "SDM3055X-E"
the serial number of my SDM3045X is SDM34FAD2R1804 and the 3 year warranty has expired.

1: Is the recovery file corrupted or not at the correct version ?

2: Does the recovery file have to be different between a USB key and a µSD card ?

3: Is it the main board that is dead ?  :'(

I contacted SIGLENT France for an estimate of the cost of an intervention and I am waiting.

Thanking you.
Cordially

Offline petardfrancois

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2023, 02:34:54 pm »
Hello

Problem solved !!

Thanks to Rob! it's really the GOAT :-+ to resuscitate an SDM 3xxx !!
For my SDM3045, it was necessary to boot the µSD card and believe me: YOU MUST PUT ANYTHING IN THE SD READER WITHOUT HAVING THE SD BOOT INSTRUCTIONS!!
Fortunately for me, my mistake was superficial.. ::)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ns5zv17AMNzxlxVrZ_Dfdbfj0VCNR81m/view?usp=sharing

MERCI ENCORE ROB !

Christophe.

Offline HamDancer

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2023, 07:40:03 pm »
I've restored my Serial Number after a failed U-Disc recovery (ended up doing a SD U-Disc Recovery!), but the Info Screen now doesn't show 'Production ID : SDM3055' anymore, the line just isn't there! So, I'm wondering where that is stored in the system files.

[...]

Also, My calibration file is empty:

Hi - I had the exact same problem you did. My U-disk recovery failed and left me with an SDM3055 with no model number, a serial number of 0123456789, and no calibration. I'm still waiting for Siglent technical support to give me any useful information. How did you get your model number and serial number back? Were you ever able to get the device recalibated?

Thanks!
-HD

Offline sjb

• Contributor
    • Altointegra Ltd.
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2023, 08:37:05 pm »
@HamDancer, post #12 in this thread shows you how to add/restore the Serial Number and Model Number.

The calibration for my SDM3055 was supplied to me by the Siglent tech team after a conversation with them. They supplied it as a .bin file (from their production records). They also supplied a modified version of the latest firmware that allows the calibration .bin to be loaded in the same way you would import a firmware update file. Not sure why this can't be standard feature or at least give the user the ability to backup/restore this info up to/from a USB drive! I guess they need some work for the support team to do!

My SDM3055 is now back to a good state with correct factory calibration.  :)

The following users thanked this post: HamDancer

Offline HamDancer

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2023, 09:21:32 pm »
@HamDancer, post #12 in this thread shows you how to add/restore the Serial Number and Model Number.

The calibration for my SDM3055 was supplied to me by the Siglent tech team after a conversation with them. They supplied it as a .bin file (from their production records). They also supplied a modified version of the latest firmware that allows the calibration .bin to be loaded in the same way you would import a firmware update file. Not sure why this can't be standard feature or at least give the user the ability to backup/restore this info up to/from a USB drive! I guess they need some work for the support team to do!

[Edited...]

OK it took some searching but I found at least one telnet ADS file for the SDM3055 over in the "Siglent .ads firmware file format" thread that let me login as root without a password. With a little experimenting I was able to remount the firmdata0 filesystem RW and update the model and serial numbers. Now if only I had kept a backup of the calibration file!

Thanks for the help.
-HD

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 03:15:19 am by HamDancer »

Offline HamDancer

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2023, 07:07:54 pm »

This is the message I got from Siglent NA tech support:

I talked with the factory and they said the USB recovery does not cause calibration data loss but the SD card recovery does.

Also they said they do not store the calibration data. We can perform calibration in our office. The cost for the SDM3055 calibration is $195.00.

Obviously they are wrong about the SD card recovery.

@sjb - Can you give me more information on how you got the calibration file? Was the file specific to your unit or a generic one? Who did you talk to?

I took the calibration file from the firmdata0 dump earlier in this thread and installed it in my unit. The measurements are pretty good now; I don't have accurate enough equipment to determine whether or not they're perfect. So I'm wondering if each unit is individually calibrated or if there is a single factory calibration for all of them.

-HD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2023, 08:08:11 pm »
So I'm wondering if each unit is individually calibrated or if there is a single factory calibration for all of them.
Check your emails.

Every unit is individually calibrated.
Follow the User Cal links in the OP here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline petardfrancois

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2023, 11:51:14 am »
Hello,

For my part, I use the "user" calibration using Defpom's excel solver (https://www.thedefpom.com/siglent_sdm_calibration.php).

I made the adjustment with the help of a JF187 and a power supply connected to a multi-turn potentiometer.
It worked fine, except for the 2-wire and 4-wire ohmmeter (Errror in recalibrated mode or range).
It's a pity that the calibration format for capacitances is missing on Defpom's website.

Have a good day

Offline HamDancer

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2023, 07:36:35 pm »
Hello,

For my part, I use the "user" calibration using Defpom's excel solver (https://www.thedefpom.com/siglent_sdm_calibration.php).

I made the adjustment with the help of a JF187 and a power supply connected to a multi-turn potentiometer.
It worked fine, except for the 2-wire and 4-wire ohmmeter (Errror in recalibrated mode or range).
It's a pity that the calibration format for capacitances is missing on Defpom's website.

Have a good day

What is a JF187? I can't find that anywhere on the internet related to instrumentation.

Isn't the whole issue that you need a meter that is already more precise than the SDM3055 in order to do the calibration? Not to mention a power supply that can go to 1000V. That's not equipment that most people have available.

And why didn't the resistance calibrate properly? That seems like a major problem...

Thanks!
-HD

Offline petardfrancois

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2023, 09:23:03 am »
Hello,

JF187 is a John Fluke 187, it has the same resolution as the SDM3045x, a basic accuracy of 0.025% (0.02 for the SDM3045x) and with up-to-date metrological control.
For poor man's calibration  ;)

I made an electronic voltage booster assembly for the 200v (the 1000v, I will do it later).
For the resistance and capacity calibration file, I will ask SIGLENT France (perhaps Defpom can pass it on to me) if they do not have a manual because it is a user function and it is not normal not to not have user information for that.

In March, I have a metrology team that comes to my workshop for two months for checks and calibrations, I would ask them if they know the calibration protocol in GPIB with a Fluke 5522A for the SIGLENT brand, for try to recover a factory calibration (Calibration.xlsx file).

Offline Ruediger

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2023, 10:14:40 am »
Hello,

I have the same problem as you with the SDM3045x at work.
According to a colleague, who unfortunately no longer works for us, the method with the USB stick was not successful.

I have been waiting for an answer from Siglent support for 1.5 weeks now.

Could someone send me the data and a short guide to the SD card method?

thanks advance

Ruediger

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2023, 11:21:32 am »
Hello,

I have the same problem as you with the SDM3045x at work.
According to a colleague, who unfortunately no longer works for us, the method with the USB stick was not successful.

I have been waiting for an answer from Siglent support for 1.5 weeks now.

Could someone send me the data and a short guide to the SD card method?

thanks advance

Ruediger
USB recovery is very dependant of correct format of the USB stick.
It must be 8GB max and formatted in FAT32 with 4k clusters.
Nothing else can be guaranteed to work.

Please try again a time or 2 and then contact me via PM with your email if necessary.
Be sure to get it updated to the latest firmware from here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=25
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Ruediger

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2023, 07:47:21 am »
Hello,

Have a good day

I just stumbled upon this comment, I am now working to add capacitance mode calibration, it will be untested and as such it may not work.

I have very limited information from Siglent about the calibration files, and even suspect some to not be correct, I only have the SDM3065X so that is all I can test with, capacitance mode isn't even included in the user cal files for the SDM3065X, but I do have it for the 3045X/3055 so it will be based upon that, it MIGHT work.

It is interesting that the resistance calibrations didn't work for you, I will have to look at that more closely to see if I can figure out why.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2023, 09:17:37 pm »
I have just posted another thread for tracking the use of the calibration file generator, could you please post there any successes or failures of using the files: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/help-wanted-to-test-siglent-sdm-calibration-files/msg4732277/#msg4732277
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline Gabriele.M84

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2023, 05:49:18 pm »
Hello to all,

I have the same problem with my Siglent sdm3055. It is blocked on the boot screen with the Siglent logo. I'm working at Rome University (Italy).

I'll thank you in advance if you can help me somehow.

Offline tobi1024

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2023, 08:31:46 pm »
Hello,

my SDM3055 is now also stuck on the boot screen all of the sudden. It's a bit more than 3 years old now and of course out of warranty. Installed firmware should be V1.01.01.25.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Offline catsgsm

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2023, 09:03:28 pm »
Hello,

Today, my SDM3055 also stays at the start logo...
A few months ago it was updated to 1.01.01.25.
Can someone help me with the recovery file?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2023, 09:18:34 pm »
Hello,

Today, my SDM3055 also stays at the start logo...
A few months ago it was updated to 1.01.01.25.
Can someone help me with the recovery file?
Welcome to the forum.

Send me a PM with your email address and we'll have you up and running again in no time then you can install the later 1.27R2 firmware.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Machtl

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2023, 05:08:14 pm »
Hello tautech!

All of a sudden i ran into the same problem today with my SDM3055. It booted normally a few days ago,
but today it hangs at the bootscreen. I can't remember that i ever did a fw upgrade, it worked well all the time.
Can you maybe help me with this problem?

Best regards from Austria, Martin

Offline ozzy

« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2023, 11:03:54 pm »
Hello,
I have the same problem with my sdm3055 I hope you can help me too thanks

Offline paulc_6969

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2023, 05:03:45 pm »
Looking at the SDM3055 as a bench MM, but after reading so much about the "SDM3055 stuck", I see the solution:
BUY A RIGOL!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2023, 06:46:12 pm »
Looking at the SDM3055 as a bench MM, but after reading so much about the "SDM3055 stuck", I see the solution:
BUY A RIGOL!
Right, so to put the record straight, all problems are due to old FW and poor NAND management.
With recent FW this is no longer an issue.

Even Keysight had their problems with NAND management in DSO's worth much more than any of these SDM models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2023, 08:13:11 pm »
BUY A RIGOL!

You might be shocked to know that early firmware versions of Rigol DMMs also had boot issues. It's Mind blowing to think that outdated firmware might have bugs on any brand. 🙄

I've never had any issues with my Siglent DMMs.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline vitalff

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2023, 09:39:26 am »
Hi.
I also have a problem with boot SDM3055 (screen - siglent logo). Version after last update SDM3055_1.01.01.20R2.
Please help me. Thx.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2023, 09:49:22 am »
Hi.
I also have a problem with boot SDM3055 (screen - siglent logo). Version after last update SDM3055_1.01.01.20R2.
Please help me. Thx.
Welcome to the forum.

PM received and returned.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf