Author Topic: Video Review & Teardown: Siglent SDM3055A (SDM3055) 5.5-Digit Multimeter  (Read 17379 times)

Offline VE7FM

Rust or no rust the slow response of the continuity tester is enough for me to rule it out as my next potential bench meter(and I am in the market for one).
Deep in the heart of the state of the art

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
I wonder how many US made products don't meet their specifications and promise? I think you know the answer. Is the rust a problem? I don't know but usually it progresses. Is it progressing and will it affect the performance? I don;t know neither. I seem to remember many US made cars rusting to nothing...

Really, stop making noise here and contact Siglent directly. They answered me and took care of me. Maybe they are a bit slow in responding but they did help me. IMHO, Siglent is not the stereotypical crap company operating behind the Great Wall. Like I said, I do not like this meter and would not buy it based on this review.

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
  • Computer Engineering Student
Really, stop making noise here and contact Siglent directly.
Why, am I exposing something? It's not like my unit is the first one in Siglent history to have rust. It's a known problem and is still ongoing. I don't think Shahriar's unit had rust, so there was a crucial factor missing in a complete review. It's hard to objective when the stereotypes keep being reinforced.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Why, am I exposing something? It's not like my unit is the first one in Siglent history to have rust. It's a known problem and is still ongoing. I don't think Shahriar's unit had rust, so there was a crucial factor missing in a complete review. It's hard to objective when the stereotypes keep being reinforced.

I think you are perfectly justified in continuing to discuss the obvious rust on your unit in this thread. Seems like quite a suitable place for such information. Future prospective buyers will likely read this thread looking for objective info on the device.

When I saw Dave's review of the Siglent SDG5082 with rust, it left me with serious apprehensions about the brand. Rust is ridiculously unprofessional, especially in multiple units, as this means the QA system or supply chain is just not concerned about rust/moisture.

So I posted this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-rust/

As I never heard a follow-up as to the rust situation. As you can read there, many told me the rust issue was long fixed.

It does indeed seem that this is not the case.

Is Rust a big deal? I don't know, but I won't (knowingly) buy a product that is already rusting from the factory. So perhaps it is a big deal, as it gates at least my purchasing decisions. Others may think likewise?

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
Thanks for the comment. In the thread you linked, the rep said that there is no more rust in their equipment. To me that seems like a blatant lie. I have two recently purchased products from Siglent, and both of them have rust.

The rust itself isn't the only problem. It's the first thing you notice when you open the unit. If something like that passed quality control, what else was ignored? I'm not buying a used 20 year old piece of test equipment off eBay, I'm buying a newely made product. It's unacceptable for it to have issues like rust, especially when the problem was brought to Siglent's attention years ago.

The unit that was reviewed in the video did not have such problems. It is unfair for future customers to not receive what they saw in a review. I'm fine with being a guinea pig for this product (lesson learned), but I won't let my purchase go in vain and not warn others.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po

I was trying to say that you won't get much help without contacting Siglent. I am happy that you are letting others know of the quality control problem they seem to have. it is just that repeating it here is less useful than contacting them, and possibly pointing them to this thread.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
As this thread is related to Shahriar's review, I would have been interested to see how the unit responded to Min/ Max/ Probe Hold readings with voltages applied to get an indication as to what level of variation was necessary for the unit to record a change in the reading. His tests indicated that a variation of 5 Ohms or more was required in resistance mode before the unit recorded the change but at what level would it require for voltage, maybe I missed it.

Also I wondered what if any delay was incurred between a triggered event and the actual firing of the trigger output which to my understanding is somewhat user configurable, this may be of importance for anyone intending to utilise the unit for basic sorting or pass/fail applications.

It's a shame that we dont have a Batronix here because they were offering a 30 day trial on the unit and I do have the page saved on the other computer, I can assure you that I would have taken a month off work if necessary to rigorously put one of these units through a number of torture tests, fortunately others are now doing it for us.

Many thanks to Shahriar for another fantastic journey.... :-+

Muttley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:57:37 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I was trying to say that you won't get much help without contacting Siglent.
Done.  ;)
See post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-rust/msg714775/#new
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
I didn't expect this to become such a heated discussion!  :scared:

I think the biggest issue with this unit is the speed at the moment. Imagine if it was 10 times faster then we would probably be a lot more forgiving of its other shortcomings. Either way as consumers we can provide feedback, buy what we think is best for us and manufactures can chose to either respond to our voices and choices, or not.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
All else aside it does have a cat rating for 600 pats and 1000 purrs.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:04:09 pm by Muttley Snickers »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
I didn't expect this to become such a heated discussion!  :scared:

I think the biggest issue with this unit is the speed at the moment. Imagine if it was 10 times faster then we would probably be a lot more forgiving of its other shortcomings. Either way as consumers we can provide feedback, buy what we think is best for us and manufactures can chose to either respond to our voices and choices, or not.
I'm wondering whether the sluggishness is because of the slow ADC, lack of processing power, inefficient software or a combination of all of them...

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
I'm wondering whether the sluggishness is because of the slow ADC, lack of processing power, inefficient software or a combination of all of them...

The "slow", "middle" and "fast" settings control the number of power line cycles as mentioned in the video. The ADC takes 5, 50 or 150 readings respectively. I don't think this has anything to do with how fast the multimeter displays a new value on the screen. If you look at some of the higher end meters like the new Keysight, it can take up to 50,000 readings per second, and the new Keithley can take up to 1,000,000 readings per second. Imagine the screen updating at that speed. You would not be able to process any of the individual values. And since the LCD screen has a limited refresh rate, it would be a blurry mess. On the other extreme, the ADC can sample at 1 time per second but the screen update at 5 times a second. It would just display the single value 5 times. The screen update rate could be a function of the nplc setting that is set in the firmware, meaning it can be adjusted for speed. I'm guessing this is how it works but maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

The following users thanked this post: TUMEMBER

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf