Author Topic: Siglent SDS 1102CML+ Oscilloscope Time and day setting  (Read 1258 times)

Offline NHSATopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent SDS 1102CML+ Oscilloscope Time and day setting
« on: June 23, 2021, 11:47:49 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone found out how to set Date and Time for the SDS 1102CML+ Oscilloscope.

There is the possibility to save pictures of the screen but looking at the files the Date and time are always the same fixed on 31/12/1979 23:00 hours ...   :-//

At least the numbering does work.  :-+

Or has this never been implemented ?

regards Rainer

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS 1102CML+ Oscilloscope Time and day setting
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 12:14:56 am »
There is no date or time setting. I add the date to the BMP folder name while it's at the PC, "BMP210624", the next time the usb stick comes from the scope the latest saves are in the new "BMP" folder with no date.
To save the screen I just press the print button near the bottom of the screen.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 12:16:53 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 06:19:39 am »
So that's another product that was released with an alpha version firmware?
At least if the hardware was open sourced (which should be a requirement when companies are selling products in development stage) users could try to write their own software.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 07:04:21 am »
There is NOT real time clock inside this hardware. This is reason why it is not implemented in FW. And there is lot of other scopes also without real time clock. Do you name all these as published with alpha version firmwarfe.

Open this and open that...  I have never seen any really well designed, well working open source oscilloscope and I believe never come, least in my lifetime. Here in forum was one open source oscilloscope thread. If it is any day even halfway ready it is totally obsolete. These are not so simple things as many are dreaming. These are whole day work things and there is not free lounges, never. Yes if try something like fnirsi toys, it can, but then can ask is it worth of this all work at all...
Whole hype about that open source open this and that solve some problems is just like one kind of religion and dreaming.

I have seen around 10-20 year many kind of talking and dreaming some open this and that oscilloscope.... where are these. No where. And never come.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 07:10:40 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 07:34:53 am »
Well... If there's no RTC in the machine I must admit to being wrong there isn't any solution to date a file without convenient hardware. Odd choice for the default date though.

True there are plenty of buggy open source projects around developed for free on peoples spare time. In many cases free but not fantastic. All the same I'd say that projects like Sigrok and the AVR transistor checker are open-source successes.
On the other hand there are also plenty of buggy closed-source products sold, in which case you're not really getting what you pay for iMHO.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 02:39:19 pm »
Well... If there's no RTC in the machine I must admit to being wrong there isn't any solution to date a file without convenient hardware. Odd choice for the default date though.

True there are plenty of buggy open source projects around developed for free on peoples spare time. In many cases free but not fantastic. All the same I'd say that projects like Sigrok and the AVR transistor checker are open-source successes.
On the other hand there are also plenty of buggy closed-source products sold, in which case you're not really getting what you pay for iMHO.

1979/12/31 is somehow special  day in computers.
it is computers worlds last day.... before...

...  MS-DOS  time start 1.1.1980. (but Mr MSDOS was poor boy and die to this happen computer words perhaps most bad mistake... there was at this time available also others, lot of more advanced at this time but Mr BG did not have money for these. But all we know, best do not always win... more popular may win.)

UNIX time (as also inherited to child of UNIX aka Linux) have start 1. January 1970 00:00 UTC  (its value is zero, from this point UNIX time tics up. Just now when I am writeing this (not message time stamp what is later), current Unix epoch time is  1624545423

btw, some of us remember one  old trick with Siglent spectrum analyzer and fooling its system time...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:54:47 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline NHSATopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 03:26:18 pm »
Thanks everybody

Rainer

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 03:48:41 pm »
Some nitpicking: the fact that there isn't a RTC inside doesn't prevent the equipment from trying to obtain a date/hour from a NTP server, if it was implemented in the software (and, of course, web-connected).

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 02:46:29 pm »
So that's another product that was released with an alpha version firmware?

Could be with the CML+ :)
I got it 7 months after it's release date, I don't think having no time/date on a cheap scope is a big problem.

Someone who's happy to just keep pressing AUTO SETUP might never see a problem. In all the years I've never once seen anyone else using the ETS mode, DOTs mode, or even Persistence, I use them all them time. :)
Noise, BW, and most of the time the triggering is fine.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf