Author Topic: Multimeter turn off after 15 minutes WHILE using it???  (Read 16735 times)

Offline malgitobiTopic starter

Multimeter turn off after 15 minutes WHILE using it???
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:01:07 pm »
Hello!
I'm Margaret and this is my first post here.
So i bought a multimeter (my first one) because I just started to study electronics in University. The multimeter beeps 3 times after 14 minutes, and after one more minute just turn off. I guess this is auto turn off feature but the problem is the meter turn off WHILE I'm using it, in middle of measurement, not in Idle. Is this normal for multimeter or just mine is defective?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Multimeter turn off after 15 minutes WHILE using it???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:02:40 pm »
Certain models have the feature to turn it off or even change the auto off delay, read the manual.

The following users thanked this post: malgitobi

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:13:52 pm »
Thanks, I know it's really stupid but I completely forgot I have a manual... it says "the Meter automatically turns off if you do not turn the rotary switch or press any button for around 15 minutes. The meter can be activated by pressing the SELECT button or turning the rotary switch." There is no option to turn off this feature completely but at least now I know my meter is good and not defective.
Thank you so much!

There is another thing... when I opened my meter I found some yellow/orange dried liquid on continuity buzzer. Is this a problem and can it be cleaned?
Here is a picture:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:24:05 pm by malgitobi »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:33 pm »
Sounds like a UNI-T.
You can disable the auto-poweroff feature once by holding one of the buttons when turning it on.

I'm not sure if it will power-off whilst measuring high voltage. Flukes will not turn off when the lightning symbol is on the screen.

The following users thanked this post: malgitobi

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:24:13 pm »
Thanks, I know it's really stupid but I completely forgot I have a manual... it says "the Meter automatically turns off if you do not turn the rotary switch or press any button for around 15 minutes. The meter can be activated by pressing the SELECT button or turning the rotary switch." There is no option to turn off this feature completely but at least now I know my meter is good and not defective.
Thank you so much!
Are you sure you cannot turn off the auto poweroff? Try turning the meter on while pressing the SELECT button. Is there a last line to the Auto power-off section of the manual that describes how to do this?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 12:32:37 pm »
Quote from: Jeroen3
Sounds like a UNI-T.
You can disable the auto-poweroff feature once by holding one of the buttons when turning it on.

I'm not sure if it will power-off whilst measuring high voltage. Flukes will not turn off when the lightning symbol is on the screen.

Quote from: amspire
Are you sure you cannot turn off the auto poweroff? Try turning the meter on while pressing the SELECT button. Is there a last line to the Auto power-off section of the manual that describes how to do this?

Thank you, I tried to hold SELECT button while switch the rotary but it's not working and there is no extra line for turning it off in the manual. I guess because it's cheaper model of Uni-T. It's not really a problem, I was just worried if my meter is defective. I'll just press the SELECT button when I hear the warning 3 beeps after 14 minutes, and everything will be okay.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 01:19:15 pm »
With some models of Uni-T, if you turn on while holding the BLUE button, it does disable the auto-poweroff. Strange if it doesn't work with your model - I thought it was standard to provide some method to have the meter permanently powered.

I guess for some cheaper meters, they are stuck with the features built into the chipset they are using.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 01:39:42 pm »
when I opened my meter I found some yellow/orange dried liquid on continuity beeper. Is this a problem and can it be cleaned?
Looks like ordinary oxidation/corrosion.  As long as the beeper continues to operate properly, probably not something to worry about.

I also have been annoyed by meters auto-power-down while I was using them.  But I guess we have to balance the option of coming back to a dead meter because we forgot to turn it off.   :-//

Offline Decoman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 03:07:26 pm »
On the front of my UNI-T UT61E multimeter, it says for the 10A + COM:

"EACH 15 min MAX 10 sec"

I have yet to use my multimeter and I haven't yet figured out what that means, but perhaps relevant to OP's question I wonder.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 03:16:21 pm »
"EACH 15 min MAX 10 sec"
It means that during a 15 minute period you can flow 10A for a maximum of 10 seconds. The multimeter needs to cool down between the 10 second tests.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »
UT61E doesn’t turn itself off.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 04:42:44 pm »
"EACH 15 min MAX 10 sec"
It means that during a 15 minute period you can flow 10A for a maximum of 10 seconds. The multimeter needs to cool down between the 10 second tests.

The current probe should be removed from the meter or device for ~15 mins. It's worth noting that just switching the meter off will not stop the current shunt from being wired in circuit.

You can carry on using the meter in volts, ohm or low current modes, but leave the high amp socket unused for a few minutes so the shunt can cool.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf