Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E: Bode plot with a non-Siglent AWG  (Read 37748 times)

Offline cdc3oo

Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E: Bode plot with a non-Siglent AWG
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2020, 06:00:57 am »
Using the bode II stimulus in units other than amplitude (eg. dBV, dBu) doesn't work. I looked at the code and those commands are not being handled. The FY6900 I have doesn't have those units either but it should be strait forward to convert from dB units to amplitude to get the desired results, although the FY6900 display will show volts. Any interest for me to do so and to post the code back to GitHub?

Hello I missed your post before writing my first one...

Unless you already did it, here is the code which should work with others AWGs:

elif args[n] == "AMPDBM":
                 self.awg.set_amplitude(channel, 0.77459*2.82843*pow(10,float(args[n+1])/20))
                 n += 2

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:36:09 pm by cdc3oo »
awful newbie

Offline timkoers

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 01:10:38 pm »
Hi all!

I am planning to buy a AWG that is supported by this awesome hack.

Is there any list with (un-)officially supported AWG's, with their development status?

At first I looked for the JDS6600 but now I'm leaning towards the FY6800 or FY6900.

Offline aljordan

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2020, 04:31:25 pm »
Thank you very much for creating this script and making it available. It works great with a Koolertron signal generator, which appears to be a re-branded jds6600 available on Amazon. I first tried running it from my laptop running Manjaro Linux, but the oscilloscope wouldn't connect. Maybe the ports were locked down. Instead I installed pip and pyserial on a Raspberry Pi running Diet Pi and had no issues connecting and running plots.

Thanks again.

Offline ptype

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 04:16:46 pm »
I tried this today with a FY2300 and it worked the first attempt with no problems.  Thanks!

For those who would rather not open a port as root, there is a built-in way to do internal NAT (port forwarding) in Linux.

First open up awg_server.py

and change

RPCBIND_PORT = 111
  VXI11_PORT = 703

to

RPCBIND_PORT = 8000
  VXI11_PORT = 8001

next run this at the commandline to set up the port forward

sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 111 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8000

Now you can run bode.py as an unprivileged user (no sudo needed):

python bode.py <awg_name> <serial_port> <baud_rate>

clean up the port forward at any time with a reboot.  There are also iptables commands to delete the port forward but that seemed like TMI for this post.

The following users thanked this post: arvidb

Offline Archades

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2020, 05:48:37 am »
Has anyone tried this with a Uni-T UTG962?

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
Will this work with a FeelTech 6900?
I.e. will the code for the 6800 also work for the 6900?

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »
Hi Mike,
This is *really* cool.
I would love to create such a slick setup for my FeelTech 6900, but I am unsure of the details.
Would it be possible to summarize what you did, including:
1. What hardware/boards for the microcontroller as well as the UART & WiFi
2. What if any hardware hacking was needed?
3. What software version you used?
4. How you programmed the microcontroller?
5. How do I know if it's working? :)

I am a bit of Newbie here so would appreciate any help as it has been hard for me to glean the details from the various posts on this thread.

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2020, 04:38:23 pm »
I figured out what was causing my communication issues. It was having the scope set to DHCP, once I set the scope to a static IP it works like a charm. Below are some photos of the final setup.

Yes, there seems to be a bug with DHCP on the Siglent 1104/1204-X-E whereby it connects/disconnects intermittently but is rock stable with static IPs.

Here is a post on eeVblog where I did some troubleshooting on when/where the error occurs.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-bode-plot-with-non-siglent-awg/

Offline JamesLynton

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2020, 02:54:00 am »
Has anyone tried this with a Uni-T UTG962?

I'd like to see it done too, got one of these on the way as well as its a nice compact source for debugging stuff on the move; and with a nice ui to boot.

Having dug abit in the pc control software manual for it, it uses the USBTMC (USB Test and Measurement Class) protocol for remote control and editing, it shouldn't be too difficult to sniff those usb packets on sending those commands from the software to see exactly what it'd expect to implement similar.

Sigrok (the bus sniffer software project) links to the documentation for this standard here:
https://sigrok.org/wiki/USBTMC
and links to code used for working with the USBTMC SCPI protocol here:
https://sigrok.org/gitweb/?p=libsigrok.git;a=blob;f=src/scpi/scpi_usbtmc_libusb.c

Offline jbaribeault

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 03:40:16 am »
I just picked up a UNI-T UTG962E as well. Ready/willing to run anything required to help with the effort - this is a nice little unit and would go AWESOME with my SDS1204X-E....

Offline timkoers

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2020, 07:11:19 pm »
I updated the code of espBode to include the FY6900. I also opened a merge request but that doesn't seem to get merged any time soon.

https://github.com/timkoers/espBode

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2020, 11:17:17 pm »
I updated the code of espBode to include the FY6900. I also opened a merge request but that doesn't seem to get merged any time soon.

https://github.com/timkoers/espBode
Thanks! I have ordered my 1104x-e, so now that i can connect it to my fy6900 👍👍

Offline jbaribeault

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2020, 05:19:59 pm »
How fast does the signal gen need to react to the commands from the scope? Myself and a few others managed to get python sending commands to the UNI-T 962G but the only thing they've implemented is button pushes and on a single one at a time - fastest we seem to be able to set a new waveform is about 0.85 seconds. Is this going to be fast enough or do the waveforms need to change faster than that?

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:28 am »
ESP-01 (espbode) + FY6900 works perfectly!
Love it!
Thanks for your work!
In past i've used microchip mcu where you had only few KB of flash and some byte of ram, it's incredible how powerful is this esp-01 little thing 😱

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 09:02:25 pm »
I think that there must be a bug on the esp code (both forks), I'm trying to set a sweep with center frequency 20MHz, 5MHz wide, and the esp hang, also stop responding to ping (seem stuck in a loop). I've still not attached the logic analyzer to see what's going on...
Little question, as i'm not familiar with arduino projects... How can be debugged this thing? The tx/rx pins are connected to the awg so i can't output anything   :-BROKE

Offline vfxsoup

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2021, 07:31:44 pm »
To the OP, this works with the FY6900 just fine* using the FY6600 code.

*I had to hack the second channel to turn on alongside channel 1 on the FY6900 (in fy6600.py), as the SDS1104X-E needs a direct connection from the AWG along side the output from the DUT as a reference, otherwise the Bode plot is just a mess of spurious data points. For some reason the scope wasn't requesting channel 2 to switch on, so I just told it to enable channel 2 as per channel 1 and everything worked fine (all other settings are sent to channel 2 of the FY6900).

Thanks for writing this code!

The following users thanked this post: 4x1md

Offline nichrist

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2021, 09:39:52 am »
Hi
I am considering buying the SDX1204 and I would like to known if it would be possible to use it in conjunction with a Rigol AWG DG1062 which I already have, for drawing Bode plots.

Thank you in advance

Offline TechieTX

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2021, 10:15:50 pm »
I have a FY2300 coming on a slow boat from China (is it a coincidence it's called a Junk?)  ;D

I'm going to mod the FY2300 board to put switched 5V on the USB connector, and hook it to an ESP8266 D1 Mini clone board.  I'll let ya know how it goes, masterx81.  From the earlier comment by ptype, it's likely to work.  I have the programming manual for the 2300 and also for the 6600/6800/6900.  They look the same, but there may be a couple of gotchas I can fix.
"No matter where you go, there you are." ~BB

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2021, 12:02:00 am »
I've been reading through this thread with interest (thank you everyone who has contributed!), having recently bought a new 1104X-E (and made it into a 1204X-E with all options - thanks also to those people!) and having ordered an FY6900.
So I have a simple question, the answer to which is clearly inferable from this thread, but not stated anywhere I can see - which suggests there may be something I am missing.
It appears from this thread that communication between the CRO and the FY6900 is via WiFi. My Siglent manual clearly states that the AWG connects via USB, and doesn't suggest any options.
What am I missing?  Where does the magic happen?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:36 am »
I've been reading through this thread with interest (thank you everyone who has contributed!), having recently bought a new 1104X-E (and made it into a 1204X-E with all options - thanks also to those people!) and having ordered an FY6900.
So I have a simple question, the answer to which is clearly inferable from this thread, but not stated anywhere I can see - which suggests there may be something I am missing.
It appears from this thread that communication between the CRO and the FY6900 is via WiFi. My Siglent manual clearly states that the AWG connects via USB, and doesn't suggest any options.
What am I missing? Where does the magic happen?

What are missing. You have missed to read the User manual.

Here attached, rest you find yourself.
If you have old User manual, first update it. https://www.siglenteu.com/download/10068/

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2021, 08:27:09 am »
Thanks, rf-loop, the manual you pointed at UM0101E-05A is a lot more comprehensive than the one I downloaded (-03A) from the Siglent site when I received my CRO just three months ago. Never imagined that the versions would move so fast. The old version doesn’t mention this configuration function, but of course the new one does.
So now I know ...
Thanks again.
I love this site and really appreciate all the help you guys give!

EDIT: I've spent a bit of time looking more closely at both versions of the manual. The bit about WiFi connection to the AWG is indeed in the "old" manual, in the section called "Bode Plot" (replaced in the "new" manual with a more comprehensive "Bode Plot II"). In both manuals, however, the preamble to the AWG section still refers to USB only. So you were correct, I simply didn't read hard enough!
But one significant difference I did find is that the new manual drops the (OT - unrelated to AWG) statement "SDS1000X-E has full BW with all V/div settings including 500uV/div to 2mV/div." Off to look at other threads to see what this is about....

Edit#2: Ah, so I was kinda wrong and kinda right after all. It seems that WiFi connection to the AWG is only available for BodeII, and the manual is correct. The "broader" AWG functionality appears to require the AWG connection via USB, otherwise the AWG simply isn't detected and the AWG menu button is greyed out. I guess this is mentioned somewhere above...sorry for the repeat, if so.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:57:49 am by Roman oh »

Offline mTron47

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2021, 02:47:02 pm »
This being my first post I say Hi to everyone  :)

And many thanks to all contributors to this helpful, inspiring, awesome thread.  :clap: It did help me connect my time-proven "Synthesized Function Generator" DS345 built by Stanford Research Systems some time in the Nineties to my newly acquired Siglent SDS1104X-E for doing Bode Plots.

I used an ESP32 which I am familiar with, and took BlackICE's port (post #97 - Thanks, also to MrTick!) as a starting point.  I wrote a class cds345 in which I put all the specifics of the DS345 generator. Some minor modifications to the function handleWriteMsg() in file esp_parser.cpp were necessary and the correction of a bug in function sendReadResponse() in file esp_network.cpp which led to heap corruption from time to time. So everything seems to work now and might be a starting point for other generator types beyond FX6800, FY6900 and DS345.

Usually I do controller software development using Platformio which has a much more sophisticated user interface compared to the classic Arduino IDE. The differences in code are minimal - e.g. an additional line #include <Arduino.h> is necessary. So this should not be a significant obstacle to understandability.

This said, I want to share my little contribution with you, but I don't know how.  :-[ I do not have a github account. Any suggestions?

Offline DEV001

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2021, 05:51:48 pm »
I believe Github would be the best medium to use for sharing your code and it is pretty easy to sign up. Once you sign up, you create a new 'repository' via the + in the right corner of their site and upload the files. You can use their web interface and drag and drop the files into a git repository directly.

If you don't want to upload it to Github you can attach a zip archive of the source to a post here as well.

https://docs.github.com/en/github/managing-files-in-a-repository/adding-a-file-to-a-repository

https://github.blog/2016-02-18-upload-files-to-your-repositories/

Offline mTron47

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2021, 09:11:16 am »
@DEV001: Thank you for your help.

So here comes a zip-file to the entire project linking an SDS1*04X-E scope to an SRS signal generator DS345. Included is the file platformio.ini defining the build process under Platformio.

If you prefer the classic Arduino environment, just copy all files (without platformio.ini) from all subdirectories into a new directory esp32Bode, then rename esp32Bode.cpp into esp32Bode.ino. That's it!

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2021, 02:16:07 pm »
I am struggling to get the Bode plot thing happening with  a Siglent 1104X-E and FY6900. The software is running OK on an ESP8266; CRO reports successful connection to AWG, and pumps out the messages I would expect as observed on the Serial out of the ESP8266 (although it appears to send each message twice??).
But the 6900 does not respond to the message stream when it's connected to the Rx pin on the 8 pin connector on the back panel. I can "see" the traffic with a CRO, so it's definitely there.  When I send messages manually (using PuTTY) to the 6900 via its USB connector,  it responds correctly. When I send those same messages in via the RxD and TxD pins on the back panel (using USB to serial converter) there is no response from the 6900.

The circuit diagram appears to show a CH340G with its RxD and TxD lines simply wire-OR'ed with the back panel connections (using limiting resistors) but does not show any connection between this circuit element and the FY6900's "processor" FPGA. Since the USB is working, I guess the CH340 is OK, and beyond that it's just a couple of resistors.

Tomorrow I'll open the box - AGAIN! - and check those resistors, but I think it's far more likely to be something trivial I've overlooked.

Can anyone help?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf