Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E: Bode plot with a non-Siglent AWG  (Read 37037 times)

Offline 4x1mdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
At a certain point after getting the SDG1204X-E oscilloscope I started to wonder if it might be possible to use the Bode plot function with a non-Siglent waveform generator. After some hours of researching and reverse engineering I wrote this Python program. It is a small server which emulates Siglent arbitrary waveform generator connected to LAN.

While drawing a Bode plot, the oscilloscope sends the commands to PC instead of the AWG and my program is what makes the oscilloscope think that it communicates with a genuine Siglent signal generator. The program extracts the commands sent to the generator, parses them and translates to the commands, which can be understood by the connected to the PC non-Siglent generator.

The program is written in Python. I tested it only under Linux. Later I'll test it under Windows too.

The source code and the explanations about running it are located here:

https://github.com/4x1md/sds1004x_bode

Here is a video which shows how the program works:

You are welcome to discuss the program here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:44:21 pm by 4x1md »

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E: Bode plot with non-Siglent AWG
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:52:26 pm »
At a certain point after getting the SDG1204X-E oscilloscope I started to wonder if it might be possible to use the Bode plot function with a non-Siglent waveform generator. After some hours of researching and reverse engineering I wrote this Python program. It is a small server which emulates Siglent arbitrary waveform generator connected to LAN.

While drawing a Bode plot, the oscilloscope sends the commands to PC instead of the AWG and my program is what makes the oscilloscope think that it communicates with a genuine Siglent signal generator. The program extracts the commands sent to the generator, parses them and translates to the commands, which can be understood by the connected to the PC non-Siglent generator.

Do you have any plans to add support for the MHS-5200A?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mhs-5200a-serial-protocol-reverse-engineered/

Except for the UI and max. frequency the MHS-5200A looks functionally similar to the JDS6600 (but I'm unaware if their interface command language / format is similar).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:03:08 pm by bluejedi »

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:18:24 pm »
Currently I support only the devices I have. I'll add one more model which is very similar to BK4075.

It would be nice to add more generators but currently I have no idea how to do it without having the specific model. Maybe I'll have to work together with somebody who has it and can test my code.

Offline xenganier

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:56:57 pm »
Thanks for doing this.  I have it working with an RPi3 running Dietpi and it works well except for a few glitches.  Especially on medium and high resolution modes the JDS6600 goes to zero frequency once in awhile, maybe three times on a 20-20k sweep.   In your video near the end on high res yours does it too.  I tried raising Sleeptime in steps up to 100ms but it didn't seem to make a difference.  Any idea what might be going on? 

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:20:47 pm »
Thanks for doing this.  I have it working with an RPi3 running Dietpi and it works well except for a few glitches.  Especially on medium and high resolution modes the JDS6600 goes to zero frequency once in awhile, maybe three times on a 20-20k sweep.   In your video near the end on high res yours does it too.  I tried raising Sleeptime in steps up to 100ms but it didn't seem to make a difference.  Any idea what might be going on?
No. I'll try to understand when I have free time.

Offline ltwin8

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
Would be cool to just add a RPi into the JDS6600 Case and use LAN of it, but without display etc. is that possible? and yes how?

I have a RPi B, would it be enough?

thanks for the answers

Offline Dundarave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 03:08:12 am »
Excellent work making the non-Siglent AWGs work with the SDS1004X-E!  :clap:  It's been fun to play with: I loaded the script up on a Raspberry PI and it worked brilliantly with the scope and my AWG.

Following your JDS6600.py driver file as a template, I've managed to modify it to support the FeelTech FY6600 AWG using a copy of the FY6600 comm protocol that I found somewhere on the net.  It works pretty well, but I had to crank the inter-command Sleeptime up to 500ms in order to reliably pass your test script:  It doesn't seem to affect anything with the actual Bode plotting activity, as the commands from the scope come relatively slowly.

I've tested it as much as I could, and I'd now like to make the driver file available to all: Can I email it to you for inclusion in your Git repository? Or is there a better way to make it available?  Note - Jan. 27/19: Added fy6600.py & the FY6600 comm protocol here per a reader request.

Cheers -
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:36:08 am by Dundarave »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 04:47:58 am »
Excellent work making the non-Siglent AWGs work with the SDS1004X-E!  :clap:  It's been fun to play with: I loaded the script up on a Raspberry PI and it worked brilliantly with the scope and my AWG.

Following your JDS6600.py driver file as a template, I've managed to modify it to support the FeelTech FY6600 AWG using a copy of the FY6600 comm protocol that I found somewhere on the net.  It works pretty well, but I had to crank the inter-command Sleeptime up to 500ms in order to reliably pass your test script:  It doesn't seem to affect anything with the actual Bode plotting activity, as the commands from the scope come relatively slowly.

I've tested it as much as I could, and I'd now like to make the driver file available to all: Can I email it to you for inclusion in your Git repository? Or is there a better way to make it available?

Cheers -
Welcome to the forum.

How large is it ? Up to 1 Mb you can attach it to a reply/post even if it's not a permitted file type by just adding .(dot)<permitted type> and mentioning to remove .dot<permitted type>.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 06:51:01 am »

I've tested it as much as I could, and I'd now like to make the driver file available to all: Can I email it to you for inclusion in your Git repository? Or is there a better way to make it available?

Cheers -
My script is open source. You can open a pull request on GitHub and I'll merge the changes with the main repository. If you don't want to deal with GitHub you can just send me your version of the script and I'll add your changes myself.

The only thing I'll ask you is to test your driver as good as possible, because I don't own a FY6600 and therefore I'm not able to test it myself.

Thanks for your work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:47:10 pm by 4x1md »

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 06:54:22 am »
Would be cool to just add a RPi into the JDS6600 Case and use LAN of it, but without display etc. is that possible? and yes how?

I have a RPi B, would it be enough?

thanks for the answers
It seems possible. You'll have to connect its UART to the JDS6600. If you want to work directly with the scope without using the LAN, the RPi must also run a DHCP server. You'll also need a power supply which can provide enough power to both AWG and RPi.

Offline ltwin8

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »
Can someone post a guide on facebook on how to run this on a raspberry and how to connect? (unidentified AWG, unable to connect to AWG) I dont get my scope to connect to the Raspberry.

Maybe someone can upload an image of the SD card for the raspberry? I have no experience in raspberry and linux with respect to this task.

Would be very lucky if someone could help me. Thanks

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E: Bode plot with a non-Siglent AWG
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:46 pm »
I uploaded the FY6600 driver to the main repository on GitHub. Sorry for such a long delay.

Dundarave, thanks for your contribution.

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 09:34:26 am »
Is this good also for FY6800 AWG model?

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:33 am »
Is this good also for FY6800 AWG model?
I'm not familiar with FY6800. You can try to run the awg_tests.py and see if it works.

Offline gamerpaddy

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 01:24:40 pm »
Could this be ported onto a Microcontroller with networking?
Like a Arduino with Network shield or ESP8266/32 over wifi?
<i may have asked this a while ago on one of your youtube videos, cant remember>

Unfourtainly i lack the skills to do this, but it seems more cost effective than using a raspberry pi.

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 08:51:03 am »
Could this be ported onto a Microcontroller with networking?
Like a Arduino with Network shield or ESP8266/32 over wifi?
<i may have asked this a while ago on one of your youtube videos, cant remember>

Unfourtainly i lack the skills to do this, but it seems more cost effective than using a raspberry pi.
It may be possible but I can't say anything about ESP8266/32 because I've never worked with them and I don't know if they have enough ROM and RAM for such program.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 09:02:30 am »
Defiantly can be emulated, you just need to emulated a few commands, Basicwave, Output and IDN

For the IDN String you can look into the earlier python project for converting the commands for another brand AWG,

The scope uses output to turn on the AWG output, then justs broadcasts basicwave with different fixed frequencies for each measurement step.

I should also mention you don't need anything as grand as a VI library to deal with SCPI messages, just treat them like standard packets
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:04:01 am by Rerouter »

The following users thanked this post: 4x1md

Offline gamerpaddy

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 07:09:12 am »
there's certainly enough ram/flash available for this kind of stuff.
i tried my best but after 6 hours and headache im only halfway there, but at the most inefficient way possible. i bet this gets the worst code 2019 award.

I managed to make the "test connection" thing succeed and the siglent allready sent me some AWG parameters.
im using a arduino leonardo with a Ethernet shield, LAN cable directly into the scope.

Offline MrTick

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 11:26:55 am »
Hi this is my very first message on eevblog, so hello everybody! :)

I've just recently got my hands on SDS1104X-E and I was looking for the solution to connect it to FY6800 AWG.
Thanks 4x1md for reverse engineering the Siglent communication protocol and your very nice solution.
But as I think using pc/raspberry to just translate the messages is an overkill, I've implemented similar code for ESP8266.

FY6800 has a nice uart connector on the back, the logic levels are 3,3V, the VCC is 5V however, so you need to find some way to drop it to 3.3V.
(I've realized that just when writing this post, fortunately my ESP-01 survived all tests fed directly from 5v. Currently I just soldered yellow LED in series, it seems to be dropping the voltage to ~3.2V)

I've used the simplest ESP-01 module.

Currently only FY6800 is supported, FY6600 and clones should work also.

https://github.com/PanKaczka/espBode

To compile the code I'm using the standard Arduino-ESP library: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

To use it in your own environment you need to edit esp_config.h, so WiFi mode, network name and password matches your network configuration.

The following users thanked this post: 4x1md, MikeLud

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 11:44:29 am »
Hi this is my very first message on eevblog, so hello everybody! :)

Hi ho

I've implemented similar code for ESP8266

cool, dzieki/thanks Jakub
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 06:09:15 pm »
I've just recently got my hands on SDS1104X-E and I was looking for the solution to connect it to FY6800 AWG.
Thanks 4x1md for reverse engineering the Siglent communication protocol and your very nice solution.
But as I think using pc/raspberry to just translate the messages is an overkill, I've implemented similar code for ESP8266.

FY6800 has a nice uart connector on the back, the logic levels are 3,3V, the VCC is 5V however, so you need to find some way to drop it to 3.3V.
(I've realized that just when writing this post, fortunately my ESP-01 survived all tests fed directly from 5v. Currently I just soldered yellow LED in series, it seems to be dropping the voltage to ~3.2V)

I've used the simplest ESP-01 module.

Currently only FY6800 is supported, FY6600 and clones should work also.
Welcome and thank you very much for sharing this project.

It can be a good idea to develop a small PCB with a simple circuitry for voltage and logic level conversion. It can even be made like a plug which fits the rear connector of the AWG.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 06:42:23 pm »
Would it be possible to create following setup:
- ESP8266 module
- DDS 0-60MHz 2Vpp out, wired to the ESP module
and use it with 1104X-E as the AWG?

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 06:44:47 pm »
Would it be possible to create following setup:
- ESP8266 module
- DDS 0-60MHz 2Vpp out, wired to the ESP module
and use it with 1104X-E as the AWG?
I think yes. 2Vpp out must be defined in Bode settings of the oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 06:46:10 pm »
The PCB I'm speaking about can be something like this one but with a female header connector which can be plugged directly into FY6600/JDS6600.

The following users thanked this post: helloitsme

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 03:35:52 am »
I just ordered some ESP-01 and goodies to see if I can get my FY6800 and SDS1104X-E play nice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:56:43 am by MikeLud »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 03:57:28 pm »
I have only had my 1104x-e a week now so still feeling my way along. Right now my best AWG is my Analog Discovery 2. While limited in frequency, it's other controls are pretty versatile. This has me wondering about the possibility to interface these two...

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 06:39:47 pm »
I have only had my 1104x-e a week now so still feeling my way along. Right now my best AWG is my Analog Discovery 2. While limited in frequency, it's other controls are pretty versatile. This has me wondering about the possibility to interface these two...
It may be possible but I'm not familiar with this device so I can't tell you more.

The following users thanked this post: commongrounder

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 04:18:32 am »
I modified an ESP-01 Adapter as shown in photos below and I am having issues with communication. It work for about 30 seconds to a minute then I get the error shown in photo below. I tried several delay settings but had no luck. Does anyone know how to get it to work.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 04:28:07 am »
MrTick

I added a Pull Request to fix a compile issue I had.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:58:08 am by MikeLud »

The following users thanked this post: MrTick

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 01:48:20 am »
I figured out what was causing my communication issues. It was having the scope set to DHCP, once I set the scope to a static IP it works like a charm. Below are some photos of the final setup.

4x1md & MrTick,

Thanks for all of your hard work on this great non-Siglent AWG hack. :-+

Mike
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:15:20 am by MikeLud »

The following users thanked this post: 4x1md, aimc

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 05:01:03 pm »
Has anybody tried my code with Bode Plot II from the new FW 6.1.33?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:03:33 pm by 4x1md »

Offline MrTick

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 09:43:25 am »
Has anybody tried my code with Bode Plot II from the new FW 6.1.33?

Hi, thanks for the heads up, I've just upgraded my SDS.
I've tested only my ESP SW, though it communicates exactly same like your implementation.
It still works without any problems, no additional AWG verifications were introduced :)

I'm attaching sample sweep output from a diy 40db attenuator.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 04:07:03 pm »

Hi, thanks for the heads up, I've just upgraded my SDS.
I've tested only my ESP SW, though it communicates exactly same like your implementation.
It still works without any problems, no additional AWG verifications were introduced :)

I'm attaching sample sweep output from a diy 40db attenuator.

If look your image it looks weird. Exept it tell your AWG is working with Siglent what was perhaps main thing.

But then, your setup and settings are possible totally mess.

What signal goes to reference channel (Ch1)

First make sure your signal source (AWG) output go  to your DUT (in your case your selfmade attenuator) input and exactly same signal goes to Ch1 (as long as you have not defined other channel for reference).
Then your DUT (device under test - your attenuator) output goes to Ch2 (because in your image you have selected it (or it is just as scope default).

First it need be sure these signal connections are ok.

Then need look about your BodePlot II settings are right if need.

Basic signal connections (user can free select channels including what is ref channel)

You have measured attenuator but your display show "40 - 60dB" amplifier.

In attached image Ch4 is selected for DUT out but scope factory default is Ch2
(Ch4 is selected for main DUT out in image related to other things = with 1 in 1 out system can keep 1GHz samplerate but also Ch4 is far from Ch1 so it may crosstalk with strong reference signal bit less than Ch2 if need get all out from dynamic range = in basic works just forget this and happy use Ch1 Ch2 pair)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:14:14 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline MrTick

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2019, 06:20:20 pm »
If look your image it looks weird. Exept it tell your AWG is working with Siglent what was perhaps main thing.

But then, your setup and settings are possible totally mess.

You are totally right.

First I've swapped CH1 and CH2, so the reference was connected wrongly to a CH2 instead of CH1.
That's why all results should be basically multiplied by -1 (or - better, the connection should be fixed and measurements done again).

Second: calling my device a 40dB attenuator is an insult for attenuators :)
It's just bunch metalized resistors soldered together and clamped into a BNC connector, it behaves correctly up till ~10MHz, then it's good only for testing Bode plots :)

The following users thanked this post: bicycleguy

Offline aimc

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 12:51:39 am »
This looks very interesting. I am wondering though if the scopes communication protocol is the same for serial USB? Did you try to communicate with the Arduino? I am thinking along the line of using one USB (to the scope) and the simple serial connection to the FY6800. The Leonardo (32U4) would be suitable as it has 4 UART's that can be used with the serial(1...n) library. Do you think that is a doable approach? I have worked successfully with asynchronous handshakes between a Leonardo and an ESP, so it would require some changes to your code and of course hardware. Even with USB to the FY6800 (in which case you may need a second MCU for the USB chip) I think this could be a better solution since you don't need to depend on a WiFi connection in your local network. The extra cable and PSU plug pack should not be a problem.

Let me know what you think.
cheers

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 05:59:12 am »
This looks very interesting. I am wondering though if the scopes communication protocol is the same for serial USB? Did you try to communicate with the Arduino? I am thinking along the line of using one USB (to the scope) and the simple serial connection to the FY6800. The Leonardo (32U4) would be suitable as it has 4 UART's that can be used with the serial(1...n) library. Do you think that is a doable approach? I have worked successfully with asynchronous handshakes between a Leonardo and an ESP, so it would require some changes to your code and of course hardware. Even with USB to the FY6800 (in which case you may need a second MCU for the USB chip) I think this could be a better solution since you don't need to depend on a WiFi connection in your local network. The extra cable and PSU plug pack should not be a problem.
Is may be a good idea. As far, as I know, these Chinese AWGs can provide 5V on their rear header connector. It means that you'll not need an additional PSU for the external USB-AWG connection board. It will be interesting to try but the problem is that I'm not familiar with USB protocols. I'd be happy to work together with somebody on this.

Offline MrTick

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 09:47:03 am »
Handling the USB using AVR devices was always a tricky issue.
USB signals can reach dozens of Mbps that frequently is hard to handle for 16MHz CPUs.
https://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html is a good place to start.
Another thing would be to connect Siglent AWG to PCs USB and see what kind of device shows up. It's possible that it's just another serial-usb COM port, then the direct USB-AWG interface should be doable on a AVR.

Another thing, if you don't want to use external WiFi network you may use 8266 in an access-point mode, where the scope would connect directly to the network generated by AWG and no additional routers/networks is necessary.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:58 am »
The scope shows up as a test and measure device, the AWG as a class I have not seen before.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:07:21 am by Rerouter »

Offline MrTick

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 09:57:24 am »
Both the scope and the AWG show up as USB class SCPI devices.
That sounds promising. SCPI is basically a text protocol often exchanged via more or less exotic serial implementation. I'll try to connect some arduinos to the scope when I'm back at home.

Would it be possible for you to share the USB Vendor/Device IDs of the Siglent AWG? (We'll probably need that to mimic the AWG with Arduino)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 10:06:44 am »
For the scope its
USB Test and Measurement Device
VID: F4EC
PID: EE38
REV: 9999

For the AWG its
USB Serial Bus Devices
Description: SAG1021
VID: F4ED
PID: EE3A
REV: 0100
Manufacturer: Shenzhen Siglent Co., Ltd.
Device Instance Path: USB\VID_F4ED&PID_EE3A\SAG10DAQ1R0000 (zero'd out my serial number)

If you need anything else, just ask, as i would be interested in knowing how to drive the thing from windows.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:12:48 am by Rerouter »

Offline aimc

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2019, 03:28:54 pm »
I am also thinking along using the build-in USB FTDI of any Arduino board to communicate with the scope. Especially then the simple serial RS232 library could be used. Downside is that debugging via this port is no longer available, but this could be temporarily managed by alternative means (e.g. via a I2C LCD Display). More importantly is the question if this serial <-> USB FTDI can be used on the scope at all, and what parameters (baud rate etc.) are appropriate? Did anyone here experiment with this? The scope's USB accepts any PC connection and WiFi dongle, but what does it do with the FTDI that requires a driver on a PC? Also then the USP could power the Arduino board and all levels to the FeelTech remain 5V TTL. Only concern is the connection of the scope and AWR grounds, that where we all know might be problematic with the FeelTech. But then again this will happen anyways via the grounds of the DUT. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Offline aimc

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 08:14:08 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I opened a pull request on your GIT repo - adding the STL's for a enclosure - if you are interested that is... Otherwise the fork is available at https://github.com/AimcLsc/espBode. (sorry for the crudity, I am new to GIT...)

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2020, 07:26:49 am »
I want to thank MrTick for the ESP code he put on GitHub. I downloaded to and modified it to work with an ESP32 that I had already. I haven't fully tested it yet. But go it to communicate with the scope and it isn't complaining when I run a fake bode plot without any input or outputs.

The ESP32 has 3 serial ports so I used one for debug output and another for talking to the FY6900. I had change some code because a member function availableForWrite() doesn't exist for the ESP32 libraries.

/* availableForWrite() doesn't exist for esp32 so we do differently

while(!client.availableForWrite());
        client.write((uint8_t*)&response, sizeof(rpcresp_getport));

*/

changed to:

while (sizeof(rpcresp_getport) != client.write((uint8_t*)&response, sizeof(rpcresp_getport)))
   DEBUG("ERROR: client.write2");
;

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

changed to

#include <esp_wifi.h>

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 06:11:07 am »
Just noticed the waveforms were distorted, had jitter in timing and amplitude. Turns out powering an ESP32 from the 5V output on the back is drawing too much current. After I disconnecting the 5V wire the waveforms were now as before.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:31:41 pm by BlackICE »

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 11:30:58 pm »
Using the bode II stimulus in units other than amplitude (eg. dBV, dBu) doesn't work. I looked at the code and those commands are not being handled. The FY6900 I have doesn't have those units either but it should be strait forward to convert from dB units to amplitude to get the desired results, although the FY6900 display will show volts. Any interest for me to do so and to post the code back to GitHub?

Offline ewaller

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2020, 09:49:24 pm »
I have been playing with 4x1md's code and have expanded on it quite a bit. And have ported it to Python 3.

I now have a full blown CLI program that controls an FY6800 allowing control of both channels for waveform, amplitude, offset and duty cycle.  It can control modulation, VCO and counter functions, and can upload wave forms to the instrument.  I used 4x1md's code to provide the a server that emulates a Siglent generator so this can be used as an external source for Bode plots (works great, by the way).   

The major difference is that I use a Raspbery-pi running ser2py to expose the USB-serial instrument to a TCP/IP network to permit streaming via TCP socket.

And, still a bit hackish, wrote some code to covert black and white graphic images from raster to vector format, and generate waveform files that can be uploaded to the instrument as X channel and Y channel wave forms that are then displayed on an XY scope.

If there is any interest, I can clean this up and put it on Github.  I would like to give 4x1md a chance to review it first as well.   Here is a screen shot of this morning's hack session:

The following users thanked this post: tautech, tv84, nikitasius

Offline ewaller

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2020, 09:51:21 pm »
Another example

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius, maskedviperus

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »
Yes, I'd like to see the improvements and merge them to the master branch. I think, that now, thanks to the coronavirus, I'll have free time for code maintenance.

Offline cdc3oo

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2020, 07:44:06 am »
Yes, I'd like to see the improvements and merge them to the master branch. I think, that now, thanks to the coronavirus, I'll have free time for code maintenance.

Hello

First time poster.

First of all, I want to warmly thank you for sharing your code.

I tried to run master on WIN and had issues with Python 2.7 or 3.7 raising errors. Also, wireshark showed oddities in some RPC replies payload.
I decided to fix these, simplified the server code a little bit and worked on the statements giving errors at runtime.

Actually connectivity test is working like a charm with 6.1.33 while protocol is OK according to wireshark
I have to check it works well end to end with the Feeltech (no other AWG here) and also to do non-regression tests on a *nix machine.

If interested, I can send you the diff once I'm done with this.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:49:18 am by cdc3oo »
awful newbie

Offline acugnini

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2020, 05:51:34 pm »
Is it possible to upload a waveform to the SDS1202X-E?  I know downloading is possible, using either EasyScopeX or by opening an IP socket, but what about the reverse?  (I want to upload a waveform and then perform an FFT on the data.) --agc
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:37:32 pm by acugnini »

Offline cdc3oo

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2020, 06:00:57 am »
Using the bode II stimulus in units other than amplitude (eg. dBV, dBu) doesn't work. I looked at the code and those commands are not being handled. The FY6900 I have doesn't have those units either but it should be strait forward to convert from dB units to amplitude to get the desired results, although the FY6900 display will show volts. Any interest for me to do so and to post the code back to GitHub?

Hello I missed your post before writing my first one...

Unless you already did it, here is the code which should work with others AWGs:

elif args[n] == "AMPDBM":
                 self.awg.set_amplitude(channel, 0.77459*2.82843*pow(10,float(args[n+1])/20))
                 n += 2

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:36:09 pm by cdc3oo »
awful newbie

Offline timkoers

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 01:10:38 pm »
Hi all!

I am planning to buy a AWG that is supported by this awesome hack.

Is there any list with (un-)officially supported AWG's, with their development status?

At first I looked for the JDS6600 but now I'm leaning towards the FY6800 or FY6900.

Offline aljordan

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2020, 04:31:25 pm »
Thank you very much for creating this script and making it available. It works great with a Koolertron signal generator, which appears to be a re-branded jds6600 available on Amazon. I first tried running it from my laptop running Manjaro Linux, but the oscilloscope wouldn't connect. Maybe the ports were locked down. Instead I installed pip and pyserial on a Raspberry Pi running Diet Pi and had no issues connecting and running plots.

Thanks again.

Offline ptype

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 04:16:46 pm »
I tried this today with a FY2300 and it worked the first attempt with no problems.  Thanks!

For those who would rather not open a port as root, there is a built-in way to do internal NAT (port forwarding) in Linux.

First open up awg_server.py

and change

RPCBIND_PORT = 111
  VXI11_PORT = 703

to

RPCBIND_PORT = 8000
  VXI11_PORT = 8001

next run this at the commandline to set up the port forward

sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 111 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8000

Now you can run bode.py as an unprivileged user (no sudo needed):

python bode.py <awg_name> <serial_port> <baud_rate>

clean up the port forward at any time with a reboot.  There are also iptables commands to delete the port forward but that seemed like TMI for this post.

The following users thanked this post: arvidb

Offline Archades

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2020, 05:48:37 am »
Has anyone tried this with a Uni-T UTG962?

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
Will this work with a FeelTech 6900?
I.e. will the code for the 6800 also work for the 6900?

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »
Hi Mike,
This is *really* cool.
I would love to create such a slick setup for my FeelTech 6900, but I am unsure of the details.
Would it be possible to summarize what you did, including:
1. What hardware/boards for the microcontroller as well as the UART & WiFi
2. What if any hardware hacking was needed?
3. What software version you used?
4. How you programmed the microcontroller?
5. How do I know if it's working? :)

I am a bit of Newbie here so would appreciate any help as it has been hard for me to glean the details from the various posts on this thread.

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2020, 04:38:23 pm »
I figured out what was causing my communication issues. It was having the scope set to DHCP, once I set the scope to a static IP it works like a charm. Below are some photos of the final setup.

Yes, there seems to be a bug with DHCP on the Siglent 1104/1204-X-E whereby it connects/disconnects intermittently but is rock stable with static IPs.

Here is a post on eeVblog where I did some troubleshooting on when/where the error occurs.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-bode-plot-with-non-siglent-awg/

Offline JamesLynton

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2020, 02:54:00 am »
Has anyone tried this with a Uni-T UTG962?

I'd like to see it done too, got one of these on the way as well as its a nice compact source for debugging stuff on the move; and with a nice ui to boot.

Having dug abit in the pc control software manual for it, it uses the USBTMC (USB Test and Measurement Class) protocol for remote control and editing, it shouldn't be too difficult to sniff those usb packets on sending those commands from the software to see exactly what it'd expect to implement similar.

Sigrok (the bus sniffer software project) links to the documentation for this standard here:
https://sigrok.org/wiki/USBTMC
and links to code used for working with the USBTMC SCPI protocol here:
https://sigrok.org/gitweb/?p=libsigrok.git;a=blob;f=src/scpi/scpi_usbtmc_libusb.c

Offline jbaribeault

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 03:40:16 am »
I just picked up a UNI-T UTG962E as well. Ready/willing to run anything required to help with the effort - this is a nice little unit and would go AWESOME with my SDS1204X-E....

Offline timkoers

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2020, 07:11:19 pm »
I updated the code of espBode to include the FY6900. I also opened a merge request but that doesn't seem to get merged any time soon.

https://github.com/timkoers/espBode

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2020, 11:17:17 pm »
I updated the code of espBode to include the FY6900. I also opened a merge request but that doesn't seem to get merged any time soon.

https://github.com/timkoers/espBode
Thanks! I have ordered my 1104x-e, so now that i can connect it to my fy6900 👍👍

Offline jbaribeault

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2020, 05:19:59 pm »
How fast does the signal gen need to react to the commands from the scope? Myself and a few others managed to get python sending commands to the UNI-T 962G but the only thing they've implemented is button pushes and on a single one at a time - fastest we seem to be able to set a new waveform is about 0.85 seconds. Is this going to be fast enough or do the waveforms need to change faster than that?

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:28 am »
ESP-01 (espbode) + FY6900 works perfectly!
Love it!
Thanks for your work!
In past i've used microchip mcu where you had only few KB of flash and some byte of ram, it's incredible how powerful is this esp-01 little thing 😱

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 09:02:25 pm »
I think that there must be a bug on the esp code (both forks), I'm trying to set a sweep with center frequency 20MHz, 5MHz wide, and the esp hang, also stop responding to ping (seem stuck in a loop). I've still not attached the logic analyzer to see what's going on...
Little question, as i'm not familiar with arduino projects... How can be debugged this thing? The tx/rx pins are connected to the awg so i can't output anything   :-BROKE

Offline vfxsoup

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2021, 07:31:44 pm »
To the OP, this works with the FY6900 just fine* using the FY6600 code.

*I had to hack the second channel to turn on alongside channel 1 on the FY6900 (in fy6600.py), as the SDS1104X-E needs a direct connection from the AWG along side the output from the DUT as a reference, otherwise the Bode plot is just a mess of spurious data points. For some reason the scope wasn't requesting channel 2 to switch on, so I just told it to enable channel 2 as per channel 1 and everything worked fine (all other settings are sent to channel 2 of the FY6900).

Thanks for writing this code!

Offline nichrist

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2021, 09:39:52 am »
Hi
I am considering buying the SDX1204 and I would like to known if it would be possible to use it in conjunction with a Rigol AWG DG1062 which I already have, for drawing Bode plots.

Thank you in advance

Offline TechieTX

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2021, 10:15:50 pm »
I have a FY2300 coming on a slow boat from China (is it a coincidence it's called a Junk?)  ;D

I'm going to mod the FY2300 board to put switched 5V on the USB connector, and hook it to an ESP8266 D1 Mini clone board.  I'll let ya know how it goes, masterx81.  From the earlier comment by ptype, it's likely to work.  I have the programming manual for the 2300 and also for the 6600/6800/6900.  They look the same, but there may be a couple of gotchas I can fix.
"No matter where you go, there you are." ~BB

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2021, 12:02:00 am »
I've been reading through this thread with interest (thank you everyone who has contributed!), having recently bought a new 1104X-E (and made it into a 1204X-E with all options - thanks also to those people!) and having ordered an FY6900.
So I have a simple question, the answer to which is clearly inferable from this thread, but not stated anywhere I can see - which suggests there may be something I am missing.
It appears from this thread that communication between the CRO and the FY6900 is via WiFi. My Siglent manual clearly states that the AWG connects via USB, and doesn't suggest any options.
What am I missing?  Where does the magic happen?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:36 am »
I've been reading through this thread with interest (thank you everyone who has contributed!), having recently bought a new 1104X-E (and made it into a 1204X-E with all options - thanks also to those people!) and having ordered an FY6900.
So I have a simple question, the answer to which is clearly inferable from this thread, but not stated anywhere I can see - which suggests there may be something I am missing.
It appears from this thread that communication between the CRO and the FY6900 is via WiFi. My Siglent manual clearly states that the AWG connects via USB, and doesn't suggest any options.
What am I missing? Where does the magic happen?

What are missing. You have missed to read the User manual.

Here attached, rest you find yourself.
If you have old User manual, first update it. https://www.siglenteu.com/download/10068/

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2021, 08:27:09 am »
Thanks, rf-loop, the manual you pointed at UM0101E-05A is a lot more comprehensive than the one I downloaded (-03A) from the Siglent site when I received my CRO just three months ago. Never imagined that the versions would move so fast. The old version doesn’t mention this configuration function, but of course the new one does.
So now I know ...
Thanks again.
I love this site and really appreciate all the help you guys give!

EDIT: I've spent a bit of time looking more closely at both versions of the manual. The bit about WiFi connection to the AWG is indeed in the "old" manual, in the section called "Bode Plot" (replaced in the "new" manual with a more comprehensive "Bode Plot II"). In both manuals, however, the preamble to the AWG section still refers to USB only. So you were correct, I simply didn't read hard enough!
But one significant difference I did find is that the new manual drops the (OT - unrelated to AWG) statement "SDS1000X-E has full BW with all V/div settings including 500uV/div to 2mV/div." Off to look at other threads to see what this is about....

Edit#2: Ah, so I was kinda wrong and kinda right after all. It seems that WiFi connection to the AWG is only available for BodeII, and the manual is correct. The "broader" AWG functionality appears to require the AWG connection via USB, otherwise the AWG simply isn't detected and the AWG menu button is greyed out. I guess this is mentioned somewhere above...sorry for the repeat, if so.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:57:49 am by Roman oh »

Offline mTron47

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2021, 02:47:02 pm »
This being my first post I say Hi to everyone  :)

And many thanks to all contributors to this helpful, inspiring, awesome thread.  :clap: It did help me connect my time-proven "Synthesized Function Generator" DS345 built by Stanford Research Systems some time in the Nineties to my newly acquired Siglent SDS1104X-E for doing Bode Plots.

I used an ESP32 which I am familiar with, and took BlackICE's port (post #97 - Thanks, also to MrTick!) as a starting point.  I wrote a class cds345 in which I put all the specifics of the DS345 generator. Some minor modifications to the function handleWriteMsg() in file esp_parser.cpp were necessary and the correction of a bug in function sendReadResponse() in file esp_network.cpp which led to heap corruption from time to time. So everything seems to work now and might be a starting point for other generator types beyond FX6800, FY6900 and DS345.

Usually I do controller software development using Platformio which has a much more sophisticated user interface compared to the classic Arduino IDE. The differences in code are minimal - e.g. an additional line #include <Arduino.h> is necessary. So this should not be a significant obstacle to understandability.

This said, I want to share my little contribution with you, but I don't know how.  :-[ I do not have a github account. Any suggestions?

Offline DEV001

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2021, 05:51:48 pm »
I believe Github would be the best medium to use for sharing your code and it is pretty easy to sign up. Once you sign up, you create a new 'repository' via the + in the right corner of their site and upload the files. You can use their web interface and drag and drop the files into a git repository directly.

If you don't want to upload it to Github you can attach a zip archive of the source to a post here as well.

https://docs.github.com/en/github/managing-files-in-a-repository/adding-a-file-to-a-repository

https://github.blog/2016-02-18-upload-files-to-your-repositories/

Offline mTron47

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2021, 09:11:16 am »
@DEV001: Thank you for your help.

So here comes a zip-file to the entire project linking an SDS1*04X-E scope to an SRS signal generator DS345. Included is the file platformio.ini defining the build process under Platformio.

If you prefer the classic Arduino environment, just copy all files (without platformio.ini) from all subdirectories into a new directory esp32Bode, then rename esp32Bode.cpp into esp32Bode.ino. That's it!

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2021, 02:16:07 pm »
I am struggling to get the Bode plot thing happening with  a Siglent 1104X-E and FY6900. The software is running OK on an ESP8266; CRO reports successful connection to AWG, and pumps out the messages I would expect as observed on the Serial out of the ESP8266 (although it appears to send each message twice??).
But the 6900 does not respond to the message stream when it's connected to the Rx pin on the 8 pin connector on the back panel. I can "see" the traffic with a CRO, so it's definitely there.  When I send messages manually (using PuTTY) to the 6900 via its USB connector,  it responds correctly. When I send those same messages in via the RxD and TxD pins on the back panel (using USB to serial converter) there is no response from the 6900.

The circuit diagram appears to show a CH340G with its RxD and TxD lines simply wire-OR'ed with the back panel connections (using limiting resistors) but does not show any connection between this circuit element and the FY6900's "processor" FPGA. Since the USB is working, I guess the CH340 is OK, and beyond that it's just a couple of resistors.

Tomorrow I'll open the box - AGAIN! - and check those resistors, but I think it's far more likely to be something trivial I've overlooked.

Can anyone help?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2021, 06:20:30 pm »
But the 6900 does not respond to the message stream when it's connected to the Rx pin on the 8 pin connector on the back panel.

The circuit diagram appears to show a CH340G with its RxD and TxD lines simply wire-OR'ed with the back panel connections (using limiting resistors) but does not show any connection between this circuit element and the FY6900's "processor" FPGA. Since the USB is working, I guess the CH340 is OK, and beyond that it's just a couple of resistors.
I had the similar problem...
RxD and TxD goes to MCU (4pin cable)
Now they use CH340N  >:(, it looks like this shit IC makes LOW level (i.e. ground) on signal pins (when USB not connected)...
so you just simple get resistor divider by 2!!!
So instead of 3.3V signals there was less than 1.6V, what was not enough for MCU and therefore it not respond.

The following users thanked this post: Roman oh

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2021, 12:26:38 am »
Thanks, unisoft. I didn’t get that the MCU was actually on the front panel pcb. That helps a lot. I know what to do now, I think. Did you find a fix?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2021, 07:34:12 pm »
Did you find a fix?
I just reduced the resistance of the resistors coming from the TTL connector ...

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2021, 12:02:24 pm »
Yes, it’s clearly a (nother!) design fault. They have a 2K2 resistor at R20 (unnecessarily) isolating the CH340 Tx pin instead of at R19 isolating the Rx pin, so the input on the TTL connector sees a 300 ohm to 300 ohm divider, instead of a 300 into 2200, which would have worked. The simplest “fix” would be to swap R19 and R20. However,  their design also feeds nominal 5V to the 3.3v MCU and appears to rely on the resistors to limit the current into the MCU pin. The MCU has had its ID ground off, so I can’t know whether the inputs are 5V tolerant; the voltage at the pin is about 3.9v which is one diode drop above the 3.3V rail. Don’t know if this is good or bad.

I went a bit more complex and made up a simple 4-transistor 3-input gate/level-shifter (I want a 3rd input because I envisage putting the 8266 inside the box, and may want to also “play” with the TTL inputs some time.

All working now.

Offline Geeboh

• Audio Enthuthiast - EE Noobs
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2021, 09:08:05 pm »
Hi guys, After following this thread including Mr. tick's esp01 bode plot github code.

Problem :
When trying to hook up my 1104x-e to fy6900 via ESP01s, my scope will gone completely freeze while attempt connect with the ESP01 and in the same time the ESP01 also will restart in this process.

Until now i try so many things get it work even personally pm mr tick through youtube and yet seems that i cant find the solution.

Anyone here can guide me on how to connect esp01 with 1104x-e.

Thank you in advance
Just started get into Electronic engineering as a hobbyist. I'm just a noobs. Any tips or test gear donation will accept at open heart ... Just kidding

Offline duckman

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2022, 08:16:12 pm »
I found the cause and solution to the problem.
You have to downgrade esp8266 boards library to 2.7.4.
I had installed the 3.0.1 library which caused erroneous writing to the esp8266 memory. Now everything works as it should😁

The following users thanked this post: ceut

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2022, 05:55:12 pm »
If I understand the architecture of the code correctly, if I wanted to add an HP GPIB device to the drivers, I would copy one of your drivers, change the serial interface (to the signal generator) to for instance, PYGPIB or VISAPY (can't remember what it is called) and then translate the commands in the class to the correct output over GPIB?

I was thinking of just coding the VXI using VISA in VB.net but this would be easier.

Thanks

Jerry

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2022, 09:09:25 am »
I read thru the code and it looks like I can use PYGPIB and/or PYVISA in the awg driver but I can't get either working on this one machine.  I have another exactly like it, in fact I cloned this one to make the other, both are dual socket with 32GB of memory, etc, and it works fine, go figure, this one wont open GPIB devices no matter how many time I reinstall, etc.  Looking at the awg driver, I wrote a function in vb.net that sends commands to the HP8904 generator through a console application.  So the awg driver will call the console app until I get PYVISA working on this machine.

I'd like to note for those following this project that the author wrote a ton of code for this application.  The OP did a very complete job, all the class functions seem clean and simple and adding the driver concept so that you can call a specific driver for each external generator makes it expandable.

Thanks!

Jerry

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2022, 01:07:40 am »
I wrote the basic driver for the hp8904.  I have a few errors, one I bypassed having to do with checking the class of the driver. I thought I set that up correctly in awg_factory.py having followed the example.

The code then sits waiting for a bind request from the scope.  When I hit run/stop or connection test, the PC code gets the request but then fails:

Code: [Select]
Incoming connection from 192.168.165.128:43969.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\user-1\Downloads\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode\bode.py", line 50, in <module>
    server.start()
  File "C:\Users\user-1\Downloads\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode\awg_server.py", line 104, in start
    self.main_loop()
  File "C:\Users\user-1\Downloads\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode\awg_server.py", line 115, in main_loop
    res = self.process_rpcbind_request()
  File "C:\Users\user-1\Downloads\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode\awg_server.py", line 135, in process_rpcbind_request
    procedure = self.bytes_to_uint(rx_data[0x18:0x1c])
  File "C:\Users\user-1\Downloads\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode-master\sds1004x_bode\awg_server.py", line 353, in bytes_to_uint
    num = ord(bytes_seq[0])
TypeError: ord() expected string of length 1, but int found

The code looks like it is expecting a port address there.  I dumped the rx_data and it is port 3 (00000003) as expected.  I have a feeling the bytes_to_uint function might be working differently under windows.  I also looked at the next statement where it checks if the data is coming from VXI-11 Core (395183) and that data looks correct 0607af.  I changed the function instead of (ord( to ord(chr(
as in num = ord(chr(bytes_seq[0])) and got past that error and it is now trying to send the bind response and having the inverse of that problem building the reply into bytes.

I could recode it but I don't know python all that well and would hate to have to change everything when one simple config change is all it needs.

If there is an interest in fixing this, I'll get the code running for the HP8904 and a few other HP generators that I have.  I ordered a 1032x but it would be nice to have the HP8904 running as it is a decent, multichannel generator with a relatively clean output. 

I think getting past the bind is pretty key.  This is running under windows, by the way.  I communicate to the 8904 with gpib using a console application that just funnels the translated commands to it.

Thanks

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:35:02 am by cncjerry »

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2022, 10:08:18 am »
For those, if any, who :=\ are interested, this is a great foundation for using non Siglent generators.  The primary issue though, is using it on windows and specifically, using python3.  Python3 has a number of explicit changes, and in addition to having to change all the print statements, byte arrays and strings that were somewhat the same prior to python3 now throw errors when they are concatenated using the "+" sign.  Again, python isnt my first language, but I got it working to the point where it has to reply to the ID request. This is one of the responses that has a string embedded in byte arrays (e.g. the ID of the siglent generator it spoofs) so I have to look at it more closely or just hard code all the responses since after that they are just null.

Bottom line is that I havent given up.  I figure once i get this HP8904 working it will be a nice setup for audio work.  I've used it in the past with my distortion analyzer as they are compatible. I have 4 or 5 HP generators for which I can write gpib drivers.

But since the scope is just measuring the voltage during a sweep, one could just as easily send gpib commands to the generator, query the scope and just dump the data into excel.  I was impressed with RF-loop's bode dissertation though, enough to order a sdg1032x.

More to come.

Jerry

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2022, 10:46:43 am »
For those, if any, who :=\ are interested, this is a great foundation for using non Siglent generators.  The primary issue though, is using it on windows and specifically, using python3.  Python3 has a number of explicit changes, and in addition to having to change all the print statements, byte arrays and strings that were somewhat the same prior to python3 now throw errors when they are concatenated using the "+" sign.  Again, python isnt my first language, but I got it working to the point where it has to reply to the ID request. This is one of the responses that has a string embedded in byte arrays (e.g. the ID of the siglent generator it spoofs) so I have to look at it more closely or just hard code all the responses since after that they are just null.

Bottom line is that I havent given up.  I figure once i get this HP8904 working it will be a nice setup for audio work.  I've used it in the past with my distortion analyzer as they are compatible. I have 4 or 5 HP generators for which I can write gpib drivers.

But since the scope is just measuring the voltage during a sweep, one could just as easily send gpib commands to the generator, query the scope and just dump the data into excel.  I was impressed with RF-loop's bode dissertation though, enough to order a sdg1032x.

More to come.

Jerry

Yeah, FRA from Siglent (the one in the scope that you use with Siglent AWG) is not only measuring voltage.
It's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.
So if you can make a gateway device that will make 3rd party gen properly respond to commands from scope and make it properly emulate Siglent AWG then you're good.
Otherwise it will be easier just to buy cheapest Siglent  AWG than to write proper FRA application..

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2022, 11:38:41 pm »
so I went back and installed python2.7.18 on my windows machine after playing with linux all day.

Test connection is successful and the commands come over when I press run.  I just have to clean-up some of the HP8904 command conversions to set the amplitude and frequency.

Pretty cool.  I wish I would have just install python 2.7 prior to ordering the SDG1032x, ha!

I'll post the HP8904 code after I clean it up.  Then I am going to do my 8648D, 8350, and a couple others I have as they all use the same gpib format and the commands are close.

Jerry

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2022, 05:23:48 am »
update:

I have both the HP8648 and HP8904 working thru gpib.  It's a little tricky because I had to use a VP.Net console program to drive the GPIB until I get PYGPIB or PYVISA working on this stupid machine that just refuses to work...

I then started thinking about this little AD9910 generator I have that sits on an Arduino Mega2560 as a shield.  There are a bunch out there made by "GRA&AFCH" originally. The AD9910 is very clean for a DDS with ≤ −125 dBc/Hz @ 1 kHz offset (400 MHz carrier) and 80dB SFDR.  The nice thing about it is that it is small and can run off USB. It only has +4dBm output so it needs an amp on it.  I also had to change the code so that it took a 10Mhz reference as an input.

I have a 1032x coming and I am going to try to trace the USB setup and commands, most likely it presents as an HID compliant device and I've coded that before. But in the meantime, the AD9910 board I have can connect to the OP's code as a serial device using a VCP.  The AD9910 board didn't have serial commands until I just added them.  I only added Frequency and Amplitude, On and Off as I think that is pretty much all the scope sends of importance.

If anyone is interested in any of this, drop me a PM.

Jerry

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 06:38:42 am »
update:

I have both the HP8648 and HP8904 working thru gpib.  It's a little tricky because I had to use a VP.Net console program to drive the GPIB until I get PYGPIB or PYVISA working on this stupid machine that just refuses to work...

I then started thinking about this little AD9910 generator I have that sits on an Arduino Mega2560 as a shield.  There are a bunch out there made by "GRA&AFCH" originally. The AD9910 is very clean for a DDS with ≤ −125 dBc/Hz @ 1 kHz offset (400 MHz carrier) and 80dB SFDR.  The nice thing about it is that it is small and can run off USB. It only has +4dBm output so it needs an amp on it.  I also had to change the code so that it took a 10Mhz reference as an input.

I have a 1032x coming and I am going to try to trace the USB setup and commands, most likely it presents as an HID compliant device and I've coded that before. But in the meantime, the AD9910 board I have can connect to the OP's code as a serial device using a VCP.  The AD9910 board didn't have serial commands until I just added them.  I only added Frequency and Amplitude, On and Off as I think that is pretty much all the scope sends of importance.

If anyone is interested in any of this, drop me a PM.

Jerry
Looking forward to the comparison Bode plot screenshots from your 4 signal sources.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2022, 08:20:38 am »
It will be interesting to see how the much source impacts the plot.  I didnt think of running a comparison.

The source I`m excited about is that little DDS board.  It generates clean signals up to at least  1Gig.   I have a few broadband amps I can use after it and then I can make the power adjustment in the driver ( for the amp).  I plan to make a box with a splitter in it to have the dual outputs for phase.  Sort of like the external box they sell.  I'm not suggesting this board as an alternative, but if you have it, I think it will, work great as a source.

Jerry

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2022, 06:28:27 pm »
Here's some interesting findings, at least to me :-DD.  I was measuring a Microchip SLP-27+ DC low pass filter used on the references for my phase noise measuring system.

The AD9910 seems to have a level issue below 10Mhz.  I have to look into that.  I know it is transformer coupled.  So in order to use it for this application it would need to have an amp and lookup table that would be written into the driver.  Then again, it only costs around $110, but it is a very clean DDS.

I also had to add a 1 second delay between frequency changes, maybe it can be reduced with faster serial settings, I was using 115200.

I then ran it using and HP8648C.  You can see the output on the low end of the amplitude scale is pretty flat.  I tried it with and without a delay in the code, without much change, if any:

And with a delay.

Sorry, the images are sequentially listed below.  Don't know why they didn't insert.

My SDS1032x comes tomorrow and I'll try that out as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:31:03 pm by cncjerry »

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2022, 06:45:31 pm »
Here's something I don't understand.  If you check above, the image from the 8648c is pretty flat across, slightly above 29dB.

I ran it again and now it is displaying as slightly above 26dB yet the voltage, as displayed on the line above the buttons, is roughly the same as the previous run, ~735mv.
Any idea what would be causing this?  Nothing changed, just went out and back into the Bode plot function.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2022, 06:54:42 pm »
Has anyone tried to do Bode plotting with a Rigol DG811/DG992?  Is it feasible?

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2022, 02:38:19 pm »
Wondering whether it would be possible to rewrite the code in say bash script and then run the code directly on a rooted Siglent 1104.
The reason I say bash is so as not to have to load python and all its libraries and dependencies in the Siglent flash -- and while kludgy, bash is pretty powerful as a scripting language.
If so, then presumably the code could be written to Siglent flash, triggered from a web page and then you would just need a USB cable from the Siglent to the external signal generator.

This would make it as good (presumably) as the native version that controls a Siglent AWG.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2022, 04:27:35 pm »
Wondering whether it would be possible to rewrite the code in say bash script and then run the code directly on a rooted Siglent 1104.
The reason I say bash is so as not to have to load python and all its libraries and dependencies in the Siglent flash -- and while kludgy, bash is pretty powerful as a scripting language.
If so, then presumably the code could be written to Siglent flash, triggered from a web page and then you would just need a USB cable from the Siglent to the external signal generator.

This would make it as good (presumably) as the native version that controls a Siglent AWG.

Sounds cool but:
how do you connect from scope to that internal service? TCP/IP ?
Over loopback?  On same 111 and 5024 and 5025 ports scope is already using for itself?

Why do all that crap to the scope when RaspberyPi is so cheap? It makes no sense to me...

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2022, 05:33:15 pm »

Sounds cool but:
Over loopback?  On same 111 and 5024 and 5025 ports scope is already using for itself?

Why do all that crap to the scope when RaspberyPi is so cheap? It makes no sense to me...

I already have a Raspberry Pi Zero connected (and I power it from the my FY6900 signal generator using the pins on the back that give 5v & ground output).

Why? Because it would be a cool hack and would eliminate the need for another piece of hardware and cables.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2022, 05:48:38 pm »
I'm doing it with an esp01 module placed on the back of the FY6900, powered from the AWG. I think that a Rasp.Pi is a bit an overkill for that task.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2022, 05:58:17 pm »

Sounds cool but:

I already have a Raspberry Pi Zero connected (and I power it from the my FY6900 signal generator using the pins on the back that give 5v & ground output).

Why? Because it would be a cool hack and would eliminate the need for another piece of hardware and cables.

Your scope is already using same TCP ports for scope remote control...

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2022, 10:52:50 pm »
I'm doing it with an esp01 module placed on the back of the FY6900, powered from the AWG. I think that a Rasp.Pi is a bit an overkill for that task.

Well I already have a (small) RPI Zero powered off the back of my FY9600 that I use to create a USB over Ethernet -- which allows me to remote control from a distance. So I could use the same RPI to also do Bode plots...

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2022, 03:18:54 pm »
Hello everyone  :)

After having bought a SDS1104X-E (with some advices from Tautech I thanks  ;) )  I found this topic.
So I have bought an EPS8266 with an USB programmer.
I have never used this little card, even never heard of it  :(  (in France, I find that we are a little too late with technology, and it is getting worse :-[ )

So after flashing the ESP Bode, my ESP8266 is connected successfully  to my Asus router (merlin fw 8) ) in client mode, I have put it in DHCP and get the IP in the Asus  :-+

But I was having freezes with my brand new DSO many times, until I saw @duckman post, so I downgrade the library to 2.7.4 and no freeze at all now , thanks ! :D

The only problem is that I have a JDS6600, and I think the command translation is not for this AWG..Because my Siglent tries to do some graphics but the JDS doesn't change its output  :-\
So I would like to know if someone has modded the ESPBode to be compatible with the JDS command ?

Thanks !  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:38:39 pm by ceut »

Offline ExHamHack

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2022, 02:33:28 am »
Hi cent,

I have done some work getting this to work with a JDS2800. I suspect it may have a similar command structure to the JDS6600. It is not perfect and my coding ability is not great. I have it working, however I do get a few glitches occasionally. I suspect the JDS2800 gets overrun with the commands some times and misses one every so often, may be local network related too. I Let it run a couple of times and I usually get a clean sweep. 

In my situation I needed a fixed IP address and a pull up resistor on the ESP8266 module Tx pin.
If you point a web browser at the module IP address you should be able to see if it is working and what it is outputting even if its not compatible with your WaveGen

I have posted my updates to a Github fork at  https://github.com/Hamhackin/espBode/blob/master/JDS2800.md , it follow work done by others SQ6SFO and TimKoers.

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2022, 09:25:37 am »
Hi cent,

I have done some work getting this to work with a JDS2800. I suspect it may have a similar command structure to the JDS6600. It is not perfect and my coding ability is not great. I have it working, however I do get a few glitches occasionally. I suspect the JDS2800 gets overrun with the commands some times and misses one every so often, may be local network related too. I Let it run a couple of times and I usually get a clean sweep. 

In my situation I needed a fixed IP address and a pull up resistor on the ESP8266 module Tx pin.
If you point a web browser at the module IP address you should be able to see if it is working and what it is outputting even if its not compatible with your WaveGen

I have posted my updates to a Github fork at  https://github.com/Hamhackin/espBode/blob/master/JDS2800.md , it follow work done by others SQ6SFO and TimKoers.

Hello,
Thank you very much for your work !  :-+ :-+
I will try this later this day, as I have removed ESP and all from my JDS :-\

Edit: I have compared your "esp_jds2800.cpp" and the JDS6600 Communication Protocol PDF: it seems you have right  ;)
All commands starts with "w" and a number to, then, set the right value
Will post the result  :-+

Edit2: It works !
My JDS6600 seems to receive the good command, I have checked the voltage in Vpp and Vrms mode, and also frequency  :-+  It seems that this happens at about 1 time per second ?
Now I have to learn how to use it correctly and try to check a Focal speaker filter  :D

Also, I have not find any webserver on the ESP IP, so I don't know how to check the output ? ???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:24:10 pm by ceut »

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2022, 08:38:50 pm »
Here is my integration on the back of my JDS6600.
My router is at about 4 meters, but the signal is weak, the integrated antenna is very small, I think I have to mod that now :-\

Maybe some of you have some (simple) ideas for modding this little PCB antenna ?  ???

Edit: I have switched my wifi to channel 13 and I have a lot better response from the ESP now  :-+
(from the ping cmd)
I will check but I think I don't have to mod the antenna now  8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:16:12 pm by ceut »

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2022, 07:40:29 pm »

Hello
Does anyone have experience with a Bode plot between the SDS1104X-E and the PSG9080?
Thanks

Offline NickKUK

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2022, 12:38:57 pm »
Hi,
I have used the 1104x-e bode plot with a standard Apple Mac mini phono jack before using a software AWG I wrote as an extension to a GitHub python project. I've dug out the python code and attached to the post. I suspect the same mechanism can be used to connect to any sound card and let the scope control the pitch (sorry no amplitude or other swanky features). On the Mac mini 2019 this worked from 5Hz to 20KHz before the active filters hit the sound.

I've since got a SDG1032X hacked to 60MHz so I've not used it for a bit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 12:40:35 pm by NickKUK »

Offline OsciX

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2023, 02:06:56 am »
Do you think that support for the Sony/Tektronix AWG2021 can be added? I understand this is a bit older than some of the generators here, so I'm mainly wondering if it's *technically* possible. I've done a fair bit of SCPI, and I wouldn't mind forking it to add my function generator :)

Offline istvan

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2023, 06:32:10 pm »
Hello, I read your post, I also have a jds6600 signal generator, and a siglent sds 2202x-e oscilloscope, I try to write the sketch on esp=01 (esp8266) via usb programmer, but every time a compilation error appears. can you help me, I don't know where I'm going wrong. how did you proceed step by step I'm not familiar with programming and I don't know where I'm going wrong. I followed the steps posted by Tim
here is massage: In file included from C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\esp_parser.h:5,
                 from C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\esp_network.cpp:4:
C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\esp_fy6800.h:91:8: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive [-Wendif-labels]
   91 | #endif _ESP_FY6800_H_
      |        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\espBode.ino:4:
C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\esp_fy6800.h:91:8: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive [-Wendif-labels]
   91 | #endif _ESP_FY6800_H_
      |        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\espBode.ino: In function 'void loop()':
C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\espBode.ino:54:43: warning: 'WiFiClient WiFiServer::available(uint8_t*)' is deprecated: Renamed to accept(). [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
   54 |         rpc_client = rpc_server.available();
      |                                           ^
In file included from C:\Users\dell\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.1.2\libraries\ESP8266WiFi\src/ESP8266WiFi.h:40,
                 from C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\espBode.ino:1:
C:\Users\dell\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.1.2\libraries\ESP8266WiFi\src/WiFiServer.h:85:14: note: declared here
   85 |   WiFiClient available(uint8_t* status = NULL) __attribute__((deprecated("Renamed to accept().")));
      |              ^~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\espBode.ino:64:43: warning: 'WiFiClient WiFiServer::available(uint8_t*)' is deprecated: Renamed to accept(). [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
   64 |         lxi_client = lxi_server.available();
      |                                           ^
In file included from C:\Users\dell\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.1.2\libraries\ESP8266WiFi\src/ESP8266WiFi.h:40,
                 from C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\espBode.ino:1:
C:\Users\dell\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.1.2\libraries\ESP8266WiFi\src/WiFiServer.h:85:14: note: declared here
   85 |   WiFiClient available(uint8_t* status = NULL) __attribute__((deprecated("Renamed to accept().")));
      |              ^~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\dell\Downloads\espBode-master (1)\espBode-master\espBode\esp_network.cpp: In function 'uint8_t handleVxi11(uint8_t*, WiFiClient)':
esp_network.cpp:222:1: error: control reaches end of non-void function [-Werror=return-type]
  222 | }
      | ^
cc1plus.exe: some warnings being treated as errors
exit status 1
control reaches end of non-void function [-Werror=return-type]

Offline jemarro12

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2023, 07:26:30 pm »
As some users said previously, i'd like to use RIGOL DG911 as AWG.
I know some basic C from the programming course in University but certainly i´m really lost in pthon.
Could a more advanced programmer if it will be possible nor difficult to do that?
Thanks guys!

Offline switchleg

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2023, 12:32:37 am »
For anyone using a JDS6600 I have fixed the 0hz bug where the AWG does not take the desired frequency causing spikes in the bode plot.  Also supports ESP32 boards.

https://github.com/Switchleg1/espBode

Offline bigpriap

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:09 pm »
2008274-02008280-1 [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ]  If you are like me, attracted by the idea of controlling FY6900-60M with Siglent,, as many succeeded, beware of the new models! bought one SDS1104X-E SW V 6.1.37R10, Uboot-OS V 8.3, FPGA V 2021-11-08 HW V 09-06 and one FeelElec FY6900-60M Version V1 .5 .5 .1. 3.I tried many versions of the espbode codes from Github, none works. Voltage settings are OK but if I set frequency, to say, 28Hz on Siglent the AWG is interpreting as 20 Mhz! So I can only run Bode plots betewwn 1 to 60 MHz., not exactly audio domain 😊
I believe is the same problem as I read about FY6900-100M, maybe a frequency digit more that its not backward compatible. I was trying to divide the frequency output on ESP sketch with no results. I am not good enough to modify the software without help but I am ready to test any ideas. Thank you.
P.S. Using the code posted in the previous post by by: switchleg  decimals works, so maybe THIS IS THE WAY. Thank U @by: switchleg!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:02:45 pm by bigpriap »

Offline switchleg

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2024, 04:16:51 pm »
You are very welcome. Yes, I fixed multiple bugs and cleaned up the code a bit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf