Author Topic: Siglent sds1104x-e build quality  (Read 1526 times)

Online derreeTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent sds1104x-e build quality
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:10:37 pm »
Hi everyone.

I am studying the entry-level market of DSOs to buy my first private scope.

Almost everything I want and need comes together in the Siglent sds1104x-e.
Almost every review goes through the performance of the device, and Davids teardown
has shown the (for me at least) solid looking construction of the scope.

In comparison to the low-end contenders, aka Rigol ds1054z and GWinstek GDS-1104B, the physical build quality was never really commented.

So my question is, how is the physical quality of the Siglent 1104x-e, and how is it compared to the rivaling products from Rigol and GWinstek?
Especially, how do the rotary encoders and buttons feel? How are the bnc-connectors mechanically connected to the chassis, are they snug?

Thanks in advance

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent sds1104x-e build quality
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:34:53 pm »
BNC's are fastened to the chassis with nuts so to provide robust mounting and reduce the chance of microphonics.
Dave did a video testing a few scopes for microphonics and the Siglent fared quite well.

Here I've had just 1 warranty claim for SDS1104X-E of the many dozens sold and that was for a fan that intermittently squealed. Siglent replaced it no worries.

Encoders are quite OK however the multipurpose one is not detented so requires care with use in that you need use it a particular way to make precise selections. Those in a menu list can also be selected by the dedicated menu button which negates use of the encoder.
In my view a larger knob on this encoder would help immensely with better control however too large might obscure the encoder 'active' LED that lights to indicate when to use the encoder.
That said, I don't have trouble making selections with it if I take a little care.

In the time these have been released the acceleration algorithm has become quite polished however a press of the control reveals a virtual keypad where you can enter units instead of using the encoder to migrate to the settings required.
The pre-production unit I received for beta testing I still have and use and had it apart a couple of times for various inspections and IMO it's well put together.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:51:43 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 09:38:57 pm »
Hello tautech,

Thank you very much for your fast reply and your help. That sounds good!

The Siglents not only have the best specs for the money, they do look very nice. Looks like the took some design hints from Keysight.

Whatever, I saved up for a 1104x-e, and I am going to buy one.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 10:53:49 pm »
Hi,

I got the rigol and the siglent once, at our R&D department we still got both, so I could directly compare the rotary encoders "tomorrow"..

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 06:38:13 am »
Hi Martin72,

That would be very nice.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 07:23:33 am »
I cannot contribute first-hand information on the SDS1104x-e but I had been into some Siglent and a lot of Rigol gear, and the general impression is that Rigol's instruments are mechanically a good bit more beefy than what Siglent has to offer. Rigol uses press-fit nuts and brass inserts in plastic moldings throughout the whole range of instruments, even in places that are rather unlikely to be unscrewed ever again. In Siglent's gear, I've seen self-tappers that hold front panels to the internal metal structure and in general, less beefy moldings (probably still good enough for the purpose).
Rigol's extendable feet in the entry level range instruments are crap and tend to become more hard to extend with age. Eventually, they may snap (there had been a topic on that recently). Siglent's counterparts are crap as well. They extend easily but collapse just as easily if moving a face-heavy instrument (like a spectrum analyze with a big shielded assembly inside) from place to place with feet extended.
But the general impression is that Rigol uses just that bit more metal in their gear which makes a difference especially if the gear is heavy, i.e. their PSUs.
This doesn't mean to cover any performance-related characteristics which may be guiding you into a totally different direction.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 08:12:20 am »
Hello Turbotom,

In the (Dave Jones) teardowns of both 1104 and 1054 I've seen, that the rigol had no brass inserts for the back cover, as where the siglent had two of them.

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:18:50 am »
You are correct about the DS1000Z, just re-checked on my own. For some reason I erroneously believed this one had the inserts as well. It's been a long time ago that I had my DS1000Z apart and since I more recently modified my DG4000 AWG which has basically the same casing and has the inserts, I must have believed it's the same on the DS1000Z scopes. Anyway, it seems that Rigol's more recent instruments show consistent quality regarding this, even the bottom-of-the-barrel ones (DG800 for example).

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 01:51:57 pm »
Just got a SDS2104X Plus and a drink was spilled into the scope  :palm: Had to disassemble the entire scope to clean it thoroughly and was impressed by the design and built quality. If I didn't know this was a Siglent I would have thought it was a Keysight, it's that good :-+

The sheet metal work is the best I've ever seen, using inserts & bolts no sheet metal screws. The main PCB is beautiful and mounts to a large rigid sheet metal frame which then mounts to the front case, this does use self tappings screws common to plastic case attachment. The input BNC connectors mount directly to the frame for secure attachment. The power supply is equally well done and mounts onto the metal rear shield and has a separate metal cover, and connects with a single nice cable with protective shield and large connector which plugs into the main PCB.

The front panel PCB has a nice large flexible silicone membrane for the pushbuttons and the rotary devices have large mounting flanges for secure mounting to the panel PCB. The plastic back panel secures with 6 bolts, 2 around the handle and 4 additional bolts around and the feet where the front plastic panel has 4 inserts. Overall this make for a very secure mounting between the front and back plastic panels and to the enclosed case.

Siglent may have had mechanical/electrical issues with other equipment, I can't say, but the SDS2102X Plus is absolutely superbly designed and constructed...and survived the spilled drink test  :phew:

This experience led to the purchase on the SDG2042X AWG, which looks to also be very well done (haven't taken it apart yet).

Anyway, this is my experience with Siglent the past month.

Best,

Mike
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 01:57:03 pm »
I cannot contribute first-hand information on the SDS1104x-e but I had been into some Siglent and a lot of Rigol gear, and the general impression is that Rigol's instruments are mechanically a good bit more beefy than what Siglent has to offer.

Yep. The first thing you think when you pick up a DS1054Z is "wow, this feels beefy..."

Siglent is more famous for having rusty metal in their interiors. Dave's seen it multiple times in his Siglent teardowns.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Siglent+rust

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-rust/

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:58:38 pm by Fungus »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 06:58:49 pm »
That was yesterday... ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf