Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104x-e has problems after changing from averages mode ?  (Read 1499 times)

Online MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
In the Acquire menu, I like to use the averages mode for getting much cleaner looking signals, like now I was on 50 or 20ms, looking at 4ch's. And when when I changed the time base to 20 or 10ms, no signal was being show on screen, so after a few moments still nothing o screen at all, so  go back to back to normal acquisition mode, and I get this, changing every few seconds, mostly the displaying the noisy image, (which it does look like, that's why I used average mode, it's a small noisy signals from my DMM I'm working on).

I have hacked my scope to 1204, and with latest firmware, it says it's still 1204, so IDK if that's an issue.

the last image is more or less what average mode looked like

This happened a few times, where I had this scope start just showing points, either when changing time base on average aqq. mode, and/or when I went back to normal aqq. mode, I can't remember.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:56:10 pm by MathWizard »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104x-e has problems after changing from averages mode ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 03:20:06 pm »
It looks like it could be the triggering to me, the -1.2V trigger level might be better with the trigger on DC coupling.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:42:03 pm »
It looks like it could be the triggering to me, the -1.2V trigger level might be better with the trigger on DC coupling.
Yes most likely.
There are only rare occasions when AC trigger coupling is required and IIRC Dave did a video showing examples why some years back.

MW, set the Trigger coupling to DC then press the Level control to set trigger level to 50%.
That's our most common trigger coupling setting.

ERES in the Acquire menu is sometimes better for cleaning up noisy traces so have a play around and find what works best for you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:01:23 pm »
Ok thanks I'll try that next time. Also in the past when it happened, it seemed like back on average mode, the level of the signal kept jumping voltage, mid sweep, making it look choppy, spliced together. I think auto-setup fixed it, but just turning it off was easier and didn't erase my settings.

There's a lot of features on here, like in the Aqquire menu, the interpolation X or sinX/X ?

What about in FFT, when I look at a noisy cap for example, using the 1x or 10x probe, and what load impedance am I supposed to choose ? Is it the 1Meg of the probe ? And what if I was on 10x ?

There's a lot of settings I'm new to.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 12:40:47 am »
Ok it was gone bonkers again, only showing choppy sweeps now and again, but not points, .......when I went from DC triggering off 2Vref , and then put the probe on a dirty AC point, and indeed once I changed the trigger to AC, the scope went back to normal. And now I can set the trigger back to DC if I please, and the sweeps are still normal.

Thanks tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:00:30 am »
If you can find settings where we can replicate what you see please post them and if proved to be some bug it will get reported for a fix.

Sometimes it's wise to hit Default so the scope starts from a known point with hidden settings returned to a factory setup.
I know that can be a little frustrating losing all your settings for probes etc but you can set your own Defaults to keep your fav settings intact.
First I recommend using Factory Default then enter your fav settings, then in Save/Recall there is an option to save your fav settings to Default.
Some menus are deep and a little complex at first but extremely powerful to allow the scope to be set just as you want it.

Another useful setting is in Utility P4/Reference Pos that allows for fixed vertical and horizontal  positions regardless of V/div or timebase settings.
Eg, we can set the horizontal trigger position anywhere on the display and it stays there regardless of the timebase setting and just this simple adjustment allows for behavior like a CRO which might suit some users better if it is all they have known.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 01:12:41 am »
Ok next time I use average mode, I'll check the trigger. Just now I hadn't used it after turned on.

Just playing withe the FFT of a single shot, that's really cool. I can't wait to use it on something besides regular noise.

As for a suggestion on buttons, the intentisty/adjust button, I don't like having it as the "mouse click" /to push it in, it too easy too rotate.

Personally I think a thumb button right next to it, or just above it somewhere would be nice, at least for the way I reach at it right-handed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:29:17 am by MathWizard »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 01:26:51 am »
Waveform averaging averages away the random noise you see on the screen traces, but the trigger itself still has to work from the noisy version. Any mis triggering, or at those slow speeds AUTO triggering will average away your wanted signal.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf