Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E In-Depth Review  (Read 112799 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E In-Depth Review
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2018, 11:22:18 pm »
Interesting, thanks.
So no apparent input attenuation indicator added into the channel tab.  :-//

Can you share any discussion with R&D as to why that wasn't considered after we've discussed that in detail ?

Sorry, but I cannot remember that I'd ever been involved in such a discussion, hence cannot know if and what has been considered by Siglent R&D.

It sounds like you have requested something, but then I would rather expect you to know the status. What am I missing?
It was WRT 1202X-E but applies to all Siglent models and I thought you'd seen all this.....yes we've emailed about a few things but didn't discuss this in detail.
Starts here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/msg1373837/#msg1373837
On same issue here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/here_s-how-bad-siglent_s-(sds1104x-e)-gui-is/msg1471679/#msg1471679

In actual use it's not so necessary as when you hit a channel button to enable control with this multiplexed setup the input attenuation is plainly visible in the selected channel menu.
However for documentation, screenshots could offer much more info if the input attenuation was visible on all channel tabs. This would be a great improvement to all Siglent models that run the V2 FW and with careful implementation input attenuation could be shown on each channel tab.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Bob Sava

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2018, 05:46:01 am »
The most impressive thing is the new web server though. We now get a playful Teletubby-like user interface, but much more importantly a real time update for the DSO screen. This works really well and allows true remote operation. The screen refresh rate appears quite high and it actually feels like looking at the real DSO screen – just bigger.

Screen Save now stores in PNG format, which is very welcome.

SDS1004X-E New Web Server

Thanks for the update here. I've just ordered a unit with the MSO option, and some of these things will come in handy. One place where a larger screen can be great is when working with multiple digital signals + analog channels, where you need the extra resolution.
Is the resolution of the remote display identical to physical scope screen or is it higher (lower?)?
Does it keep all the front panel control active while using this remote control program?
What interface are you using for the control? LAN/USB/wifi?
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2018, 05:56:55 am »
Does it keep all the front panel control active while using this remote control program?
Yes.
What interface are you using for the control? LAN/USB/wifi?
Any of the above can control the scope but the webserver is accessible only to LAN and WiFi.
It's as simple as configuring the IP address.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2018, 06:29:06 am »
thank you.

any idea about the resolution of the display in this mode?
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2018, 08:01:51 am »
thank you.

TBH we'd all be guessing until this new FW is released publicly.
Just checked the 3 Siglent sites I use and it's only on the Chinese one as yet.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:33 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Performa01Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2018, 09:28:50 pm »
thank you.

Resolution is the same as the scope. The web server does not do anything different than what the scope does when operated and viewed locally.

Yet depending on screen size and resolution, the DSO screen usually appears enlarged on the PC (I'm using 27" @ 1920 x 1080).

The following users thanked this post: toli

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2018, 03:15:51 pm »
Someone was interested in getting a TESTEC TT-HV250 probe and after reading my reply #62

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1435196/#msg1435196

could not believe that there actually was no means for a proper ground connection at the probe-tip end.

The following photos are intended to show what I have. First with the condom fitted  :)

TESTEC TT-HV250 01

And without:

TESTEC TT-HV250 02

It should be immediately obvious, that neither the supplied probe BNC adaptor nor a ground spring (not supplied) could make a contact here- The white part is non conductive and too small in diameter on top of that.

I’ve purchased this probe a long time (>5 years) ago, so maybe the probe design has changed since then.

It might also well be that I just got a lemon.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:17:53 pm by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: Strat_84

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2018, 03:46:44 pm »
I have same probe but sold as Hameg  HZ53..

You can pull the outer black plastic tube all the way... This is how it should look..

Regards,
Sinisa

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2018, 04:16:00 pm »
I have same probe but sold as Hameg  HZ53..

You can pull the outer black plastic tube all the way... This is how it should look..

Regards,
Sinisa

Thanks for that. Yes, that makes more sense. That metal sleeve is definitely missing on my probe, as can be seen in my picture. I've already suspected something like that...

Offline Strat_84

« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »
The Hameg HZ53 is rated for a much lower voltage (1.2kV vs 2.5kV), it looks the same as the TT-HV150 even though specifications differ.

I'm starting to wonder if they just didn't hide the grounded part in the 2.5kV version for safety reasons. Maybe a risk of arcing at high voltage ? On Testec 600V probes the metal part goes down to the black plastic next to the tip, on the 1.5kV probe it doesn't go as low and there's some white plastic in between, and on the 2.5kV one it's all covered.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2018, 06:27:15 pm »
The Hameg HZ53 is rated for a much lower voltage (1.2kV vs 2.5kV), it looks the same as the TT-HV150 even though specifications differ.

I'm starting to wonder if they just didn't hide the grounded part in the 2.5kV version for safety reasons. Maybe a risk of arcing at high voltage ? On Testec 600V probes the metal part goes down to the black plastic next to the tip, on the 1.5kV probe it doesn't go as low and there's some white plastic in between, and on the 2.5kV one it's all covered.

I think you're right, definitely creepage distance will be different. But anyway, that means that Performa1's probe cannot be used with coaxial converter or ground spring...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:40:22 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2018, 08:14:13 pm »
Neither of my 100x probes have ground springs but the metal sleeve comes all the way to near the tip like any other probe.
http://www.pintek.com.tw/product_detail/landersound/img.php?Company_SN=6002&case=19272

The 1000x 8KV one I have has a long fixed reference lead and NO grounding anywhere near the tip:
http://www.pintek.com.tw/product_detail/landersound/img.php?Company_SN=6002&case=127265

Here's the 1kx on the Probe Cal SDS1104X-E

Normal acquisition

Averages engaged
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:27 pm »
The 1000x 8KV one I have has a long fixed reference lead and NO grounding anywhere near the tip:
http://www.pintek.com.tw/product_detail/landersound/img.php?Company_SN=6002&case=127265

Yes, but we can forgive it that since it's only rated for 40MHz.

The TESTEC TT-HV250 on the other hand, has a specified bandwidth of 300MHz, which is totally unrealistic without proper HF grounding at the probe end.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2018, 09:30:55 am »
RE the testec probe, if you take off the black plastic sleeve (just pull firmly) then the red plastic clip guide thing, you can put the black plastic sleeve back on with enough clearance to fit the BNC adapter. Spring clip would need the sleeve to be left off entirely. If you're poking around with the spring then you're probably using it for the low capacitive loading rather than high voltage so having a metal bit exposed to touch is less of an issue.

As for performance, I've tested these with a very fast rise time source and they behave rather well. Couldn't get the compensation 100% perfect in my setup (dead flat top of the waveform was elusive) but it was still a pretty good performance, especially for the price. Biggest downside I see is the friction fit spring clip - is a bit of a "how ya doing" way to retain it and they can come off easier than they should, especially as they get used a bit.

Offline bullonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2018, 05:19:27 pm »
Amazing details about 1104X. I ended up buying 1 last in stock :) and cancelled Rigol 1052

Offline Willem2018

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »
Hello SDS1104X-E users!
I use this scope (software version 7.0.6.1.25R2) for a while and put my scope images on an USB-stick.
But to transfer the images to a document on my PC is time consuming and besides of this: they haven't a date/time stamp (because the scope hasn't an real time clock).

Is there a better/simpler way to transfer scope images to the PC?

Many thanks!

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2018, 12:28:57 pm »
Hello SDS1104X-E users!
I use this scope (software version 7.0.6.1.25R2) for a while and put my scope images on an USB-stick.
But to transfer the images to a document on my PC is time consuming and besides of this: they haven't a date/time stamp (because the scope hasn't an real time clock).

Is there a better/simpler way to transfer scope images to the PC?

Many thanks!

Can you connect the scope to your ethernet network?  It has a built-in webserver that you can remote control the scope and capture images.  You can also use the EasyScope software that Siglent provides.

The following users thanked this post: Willem2018

Offline tefe

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2018, 12:33:15 pm »
Connect the box to your PC via LAN, set its IP, open the web browser(better chrome) on your PC and type the IP to address, you'll see the screen. Hope you success!
second hand eqip : sa, vna, scope, rf gen, dmm.

Offline Willem2018

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »
Thanks BillB and tefe!

Is it also possible by connect it via the backside USB Type-B connector?
I have tried this USB connection but I haven't any response on my PC.
And do I have to install the SDS1004X-E Operating System software on the scope?
The function of this Operating System software is not clear to me.  :(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:41:01 pm by Willem2018 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2018, 07:22:35 pm »
And do I have to install the SDS1004X-E Operating System software on the scope?
The function of this Operating System software is not clear to me.  :(
The new OS update includes the updated webserver so yes you need to install it to take advantage of the features it offers.
To use the webserver the IP on the scope must be set and then you enter this IP into a browser and get a landing page where you then select the webserver. Then expand the UI with the small blue X and use the buttons at the bottom to manage file saves and screen shots.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2018, 01:01:59 am »
So... is it fair to say that the SDS1104X-E is the best bang for the buck scope for $500 USD and under? Or are we still recommending the Rigol 1054Z?
For my needs, I don't really know what I need. I like to tinker with electronics, and want to start fixing things that break instead of just buying new.
I also want to start building audio amplifiers, and Raspberry Pi hats for audio devices. I am happy to pay the difference, but is the Siglent worth the extra money for my use?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2018, 01:12:47 am »
Thanks BillB and tefe!

Is it also possible by connect it via the backside USB Type-B connector?
I have tried this USB connection but I haven't any response on my PC.

To use the USB connection, you would need to install the EasyScope and NI VISA software.

So... is it fair to say that the SDS1104X-E is the best bang for the buck scope for $500 USD

With the bandwidth hack, I think it becomes a very good deal for the money.  :)  Since you aren't sure what you need, and if you are willing to spend the money initially, it will give you a lot of capability to experiment and room to grow.     
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:18:40 am by BillB »

The following users thanked this post: Willem2018, youthsonic

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2018, 01:21:09 am »
So... is it fair to say that the SDS1104X-E is the best bang for the buck scope for $500 USD and under? Or are we still recommending the Rigol 1054Z?
For my needs, I don't really know what I need. I like to tinker with electronics, and want to start fixing things that break instead of just buying new.
I also want to start building audio amplifiers, and Raspberry Pi hats for audio devices. I am happy to pay the difference, but is the Siglent worth the extra money for my use?
Welcome to the forum.

In short, yes.
But let's look at why:
Dual ADC's permit higher sampling rates with 3 or more channels active.
No need to hack for 100 MHz BW. (plus also recent found hack to 200 MHz BW)
It's a fuller featured DSO with additional optional functionality to 'grow into' if and when needed.

4 channels will cover all bases while ability and knowledge develops but that's not to say the bit cheaper SDS1202X-E couldn't also suit your immediate needs.
Good luck with your hunt.

Bill sums it up quite nicely.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: MT, Willem2018, youthsonic

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2018, 01:26:28 am »
If you don't really know what you need in a scope, it is going to be impossible for anyone to tell you what is the best bang for the buck scope for you. These two scopes have their differences and have been openly examined in many threads. You need to study the two scopes in detail and understand what each has as strong points and weak points, then look at your needs and see if there is a fit. This is a tall order for a beginner, which I am one and why I have not bought a DSO besides the Analog Discovery. My guess is that at this point it may be too soon for you to buy a scope and hope to get the best deal on exactly what you need. All you can do really is study and learn,  and when you cannot wait any more, make a decision on what you have learned. That's what I am doing :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf