Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E vs. Rigol DS1054Z Advice?  (Read 107985 times)

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E vs. Rigol DS1054Z Advice?
« Reply #375 on: September 06, 2018, 03:36:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  We support our customers.  We want all of our customers to have the best possible experience.  This is a core value of our company. We are sorry you feel that you did not have a great customer experience. 

We had numerous chats with this customer on a ds1054z over the issue of a free bandwidth upgrade that the customer promised we offered.  There is no such upgrade available for sale.  When the customer said we promised this upgrade over the phone we looked for this phone call but found no such call.  The customer also wanted to know why hacking a unit might void a warranty.  We answered this question many times as it kept getting asked.

I stand behind how we supported this customer.  I personally was able to chat about this upgrade and clearly explained the options for this unit. The unit was returned missing accessories so a restocking fee was charged.  We will refund the restocking fee to support this customer.

We then received multiple negative reviews on many different channels.  While we value the feedback in some of the reviews it said we are liars. I have reviewed our interaction and believe we have been very honest.  This too is a core value of our company.  We want to do the right thing to make an excellent customer experience.  As stated above the restocking fee will be waived for this order.

Feel free to call me at 732-222-7077 x555 if I can be of any assistance.

Best Regards,
Evan Cirelli

Vice President
TEquipent.NET

The following users thanked this post: tv84, Fungus, Momchilo, Jacon

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #376 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:08 pm »

at one point during that chat, he told me to google his name. :palm:

Last note I did want to explain this.  This is true.  I did do this after the customer said they wanted to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about. 
The answer to the customer's question was accurate and correct. I am sorry if that came off condescending but you were trying to say we didnt know what we were talking about when in fact we did. 

Thanks again for the feedback.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:56:59 pm by tequipment »

Offline KungFuJoshTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #377 on: September 06, 2018, 06:46:34 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  We support our customers.  We want all of our customers to have the best possible experience.  This is a core value of our company. We are sorry you feel that you did not have a great customer experience. 

We had numerous chats with this customer on a ds1054z over the issue of a free bandwidth upgrade that the customer promised we offered.  There is no such upgrade available for sale.  When the customer said we promised this upgrade over the phone we looked for this phone call but found no such call.  The customer also wanted to know why hacking a unit might void a warranty.  We answered this question many times as it kept getting asked.

I stand behind how we supported this customer.  I personally was able to chat about this upgrade and clearly explained the options for this unit. The unit was returned missing accessories so a restocking fee was charged.  We will refund the restocking fee to support this customer.

We then received multiple negative reviews on many different channels.  While we value the feedback in some of the reviews it said we are liars. I have reviewed our interaction and believe we have been very honest.  This too is a core value of our company.  We want to do the right thing to make an excellent customer experience.  As stated above the restocking fee will be waived for this order.

Feel free to call me at 732-222-7077 x555 if I can be of any assistance.

Best Regards,
Evan Cirelli

Vice President
TEquipent.NET

You can start by getting me my full refund, which I still haven't received. I haven't received any refund yet. You're very good at ignoring my actual complaint in your response. Typical :bullshit:
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #378 on: September 06, 2018, 07:26:35 pm »
The full refund was already processed today.  If you do not get it by tomorrow please send me a message.

Best Regards,
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #379 on: September 06, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »
The full refund was already processed today.  If you do not get it by tomorrow please send me a message.

Best Regards,
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

We'll see. I still haven't received any confirmation email with the details of any refunds. I'll take your word for it until tomorrow. So you understand, having to put this much effort in to get a refund that i was promised in the first place, is not good customer service. Customer service doesn't end the moment you receive payment.

EDIT: Holy crap, I finally got an email. Still waiting on the refund.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:49:10 pm by KungFuJosh »
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: September 07, 2018, 03:41:01 am »

Best Regards,
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

We'll see. I still haven't received any confirmation email with the details of any refunds. I'll take your word for it until tomorrow. So you understand, having to put this much effort in to get a refund that i was promised in the first place, is not good customer service. Customer service doesn't end the moment you receive payment.

EDIT: Holy crap, I finally got an email. Still waiting on the refund.
Do keep in mind, that banks take funds out of an account in a fraction of a second, but like to putter around when depositing a refund IME.  :palm:

As per TEquipment, I've never run into any issues like this at all. They've always treated me well over multiple orders. The only issue I ever ran into was an order being split into multiple packages due to various bits coming out of two different warehouses. Not a huge deal, but in a critical case, would mean calling them first to be sure of receiving it all at the same time. And they're not the only company that I've run into this with. A rather common occurrence actually.

But I digress.

It's not in their best interest to try and keep your money (they've done a fair amount of business with EEVBlog members), so just keep an eye on your account.  ;)

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #381 on: September 07, 2018, 11:45:31 am »
Do keep in mind, that banks take funds out of an account in a fraction of a second, but like to putter around when depositing a refund IME.  :palm:

It's not in their best interest to try and keep your money (they've done a fair amount of business with EEVBlog members), so just keep an eye on your account.  ;)

My issue is with taking a week to do what they said would be a couple of days; lying about it; charging me a restocking fee; only removing the restocking fee after I complained; lying about that; the run-around; conveniently only processing the refund after filing a PayPal dispute; the lack of communication. It's been a crappy experience.

I did finally get my refund. Thankfully PayPal isn't as slow as normal banks. I won't be shopping there again, obviously.

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #382 on: September 07, 2018, 01:00:54 pm »
And it seems that both of them haven't got a real time clock (Rigol for sure and Dave's teardown shows that the correcponding locations on the SDS1104X-E's PCB are left unpopulated). If this is still the case with the "Curr."  ;)  production models is soemthing that needs to be figured out. Scopes with RTC usually also memorize the file designation counters in the battery-backed CMOS ram. It's also big "Plus(es)" to be able to sort stored waveforms / screenshot via the file date.

Absolutely agree! There should be a timestamp on the screenshots and the filename in my opinion.

I made suggestions for adding date/time support here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1756706/#msg1756706

While a real (battery backed-up) RTC seems missing it is still possible to periodically obtain date/time via the network and maintain it locally in software. Precise timing of signals is already performed on the scope so maintaining actual time with a resolution of fractions of a second is probably feasible.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #383 on: September 07, 2018, 01:56:59 pm »
Even if there was no RTC, even a running counter (and storing the last value in non-volatile space with all the rest of saved settings/configs) would do wonders. I think this was mentioned somewhere already, along with the example of how many cameras name the photo files (running counter, and not missing the counting even if turned off and card changed). And of course should have a way for the user to reset the counter when desired.

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #384 on: September 07, 2018, 02:07:32 pm »
Even if there was no RTC, even a running counter (and storing the last value in non-volatile space with all the rest of saved settings/configs) would do wonders. I think this was mentioned somewhere already, along with the example of how many cameras name the photo files (running counter, and not missing the counting even if turned off and card changed). And of course should have a way for the user to reset the counter when desired.

Maybe they can come up with a USB RTC for $300 and firmware update with a $200 "Option" to make it work. :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2018, 03:35:57 pm »
I've been using Pico TA131 probes with the Siglent, and they're great. My only complaint is that they have the crap round rubber instead of form-fitted rubber on the ground clip. I pulled out the Siglent probes, and surprisingly, they have the form-fitted rubber on them. So I swapped 'em out and put them on the Picos, and now I'm much happier. The Siglent ground leads fit fine in the Pico probes. Pictured left is obviously the Pico, and right the Siglent ground clips.

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »
I had Amazon exchange my BK PR2000B for another one. This is what the new one looked like out of the box, without adjustment. I'm going to go ahead and say the first one was definitely defective (or at least needed compensation beyond the screw).

Offline Sparrow

« Reply #387 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:58 am »
Siglent Pros:
hackable to 200Mhz
Higher multi-channel sampling
1M FFT
No side buttons = more screen space for waveforms
Front panel not as ugly (to me)
LXI/LAN speed
400VDC input (vs 300VDC) (yes, I know it doesn't matter, but a plus is a plus and mistakes happen)
Optional extras that aren't worth the money especially thanks to toys like the AD2
Compatible with Siglent standalone AWGs without the stupid option upgrade
Works with the $10 WiFi dongle

Although this was mentioned earlier on in the thread, you didn't seem to pick up on it as a positive.
Then there are a few other differences, the bode plotting looks great, probably better with a dedicated signal generator than the optional one for the scope, but still not great as it has many limitations. ...
The Siglent's Bode Plotting ability could be useful to you when looking at guitar amps.
Even if it isn't, surely it has to go on the list of Siglent Pros.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:03:17 am by Sparrow »

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #388 on: September 21, 2018, 10:54:18 am »
The Siglent's Bode Plotting ability could be useful to you when looking at guitar amps.
Even it is isn't, surely it has to go on the list of Siglent Pros.

For you, maybe. But it's only on the list of pros if you have a Siglent AWG, which I don't. How would the bode plotting be helpful with guitar amps? Teach me. ;)

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #389 on: September 21, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »
Even it is isn't, surely it has to go on the list of Siglent Pros.

For you, maybe. But it's only on the list of pros if you have a Siglent AWG, which I don't. How would the bode plotting be helpful with guitar amps? Teach me. ;)

Someone here on the message board wrote some code that lets you do bode plotting with a non-siglent AWG, and demonstrated that it can be used with the bode plotting feature

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2018, 01:37:21 pm »
Someone here on the message board wrote some code that lets you do bode plotting with a non-siglent AWG, and demonstrated that it can be used with the bode plotting feature

I saw that, but it still requires having an AWG and a use for bode plots. I still don't know how bode plots benefits me with guitar amps?

I use a simple Tenma 72-505 audio generator for my guitar amps. I would love the excuse to buy an AWG, but currently don't have one.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2018, 02:46:34 pm »
I still don't know how bode plots benefits me with guitar amps?

To make sure you don't have a nice clean output?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:03:26 pm by Fungus »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »
A bode plot expects the DUT to behave linearly (amplitude-wise) -- and that's exactly what you don't want in case of a "classic" guitar amp (not the guitar, the amp that is...). So it's true, the bode plot won't be that useful to you. But the AWG may be useful anyway since you can load samples of guitar chords or even short riffs or whatnot and have that exactly reproducible and accessible on top of your work bench. I'm nut too sure how useful this will be for your work but you may consider it.

Cheers,
Thomas

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »
I still don't know how bode plots benefits me with guitar amps?

To make sure you don't have a nice clean output?

:-DD exactly.

A bode plot expects the DUT to behave linearly (amplitude-wise) -- and that's exactly what you don't want in case of a "classic" guitar amp (not the guitar, the amp that is...). So it's true, the bode plot won't be that useful to you. But the AWG may be useful anyway since you can load samples of guitar chords or even short riffs or whatnot and have that exactly reproducible and accessible on top of your work bench. I'm nut too sure how useful this will be for your work but you may consider it.

Cheers,
Thomas

Oh, now that is an interesting idea. I mean, I could do that with a looper pedal too (of course I already have a couple of those), but doing that with an AWG sounds interesting. I don't know how useful it would be either, but it sounds fun! ;)

What AWG models support loading audio samples like that? Or would I have to fake it by generating it from a computer or something?

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #394 on: October 24, 2018, 03:24:45 am »
I have the Siglent 1104x-e. I got it mainly because I putter with mixed signal work, and I wanted the Web UI so if my back was bothering I could use it from my computer.

But given what you do, I think the Rigol sounds like a great tool for you. 

If you ever need a logic analyzer, you can pick up an 8 channel one off amazon for $10 and use it with sigrok.
So the 1104 can be hooked to a PC and displayed that way too ?

I should really invest in 1 of these, it's worth the extra $200 for me I think. I just wish the sds1204 wasn't almost 2x the price of the sds1104

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #395 on: October 24, 2018, 03:28:21 am »
I have the Siglent 1104x-e. I got it mainly because I putter with mixed signal work, and I wanted the Web UI so if my back was bothering I could use it from my computer.

But given what you do, I think the Rigol sounds like a great tool for you. 

If you ever need a logic analyzer, you can pick up an 8 channel one off amazon for $10 and use it with sigrok.
So the 1104 can be hooked to a PC and displayed that way too ?
I'm sure I've linked this in this thread.....maybe not.
SDS1104X-E wireless to laptop display also with external 18" monitor.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2018, 03:32:13 am »
Pretty good response time. Looks like a bad case of VVS, though. What's VVS?

;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2018, 03:46:57 am »
Yep, ditching the phone for vids  :horse:  and bought a cheap digital camera. Gotta see how the audio pans out.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2018, 03:50:09 am »
Oh, hope the audio is OK. Of course, you can just rotate the phone. ;)

Even though it's been around a while, I still love that VVS video. There's even a G-rated version of it now.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2018, 11:18:44 am »
Yep, ditching the phone for vids

You know phones can be rotated in space, right?

It's a hidden feature of many physical objects that they actually keep on working after rotation (as long as you restrict the rotation to 3D space)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:20:15 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf