Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E: What does hardware version mean?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline LinwoodTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SDS1104X-E: What does hardware version mean?
« on: February 15, 2023, 02:16:37 am »
Just got this.

It came with a sort of recent software, R8 (late 2021 I think) and I upgraded to R9, however the hardware version (shown on the status screen not the web screen below) is 01-05.

I've searched and seen all sorts of numbers including some seemingly much larger, for example 09-06.

Is there a meaning to the hardware version, specifically could this be one sitting around for years when Siglent may have updated the hardware in any substantive way?

I bought it from Amazon (direct, not marketplace), which claims to be an authorized distributor from their response on the amazon site, but is not listed on the Siglent site.  Did I screw up?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Online Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E: What does hardware version mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 08:11:45 am »
I bought my SDS1104X-E back in June 2022 from an authorized distributor that is indeed listed on the Siglent site and it's also HW Version 01-05. This is a photo from its very first boot:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:13:21 am by Calambres »

Offline noisyee

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 08:55:38 am »
Their firmware release notes may answer the question.
V6.1.37R8: Be Compatible with a new VGA chip
V6.1.37R9: Fixed the problem: The skew of the two ADCs is not accuracy for hardware of 09 version (System Status shows Hardware Version: 09-xx). The other hardware version has no this problem.

It seems they changed VGA chips, and do not drop the old one yet. Consider chip supply shortage in the last 2 or 3 years, it makes sense.
May be they use MSB to distinguish the two VGA but displayed as decimal. That's why the number jumps from 01 to 09. :-DD

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 09:28:57 am »
I'm pretty sure somebody posted (not too long ago) some information about what the Siglent serial numbers mean (date, version, etc...)

Got mine from an authorised  distributor about a year ago and the hardware version is 01-05 and FPGA Version: 2021-11-08

Whatever these numbers mean....

I also had (have?) some thoughts that the scope had been sitting around for a few years. Oh well...

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 09:56:38 am »
Is there a meaning to the hardware version, specifically could this be one sitting around for years when Siglent may have updated the hardware in any substantive way?

When they change the hardware it's usually to make it cheaper/easier to manufacture.

It's not because they want to make it "better" or "faster" or anything like that.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 11:16:23 am »

When they change the hardware it's usually to make it cheaper/easier to manufacture.

It's not because they want to make it "better" or "faster" or anything like that.

Lately hardware revisions are mostly driven by semiconductor market status...

Even if you need to change something as trivial as LDO regulator with different footprint, that will be new PCB revision.

Hardware revisions are mostly there for manufacturer support... As long as they keep same model number it is all the same to customer...

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, mwb1100

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 11:17:44 am »
I'm pretty sure somebody posted (not too long ago) some information about what the Siglent serial numbers mean (date, version, etc...)

Got mine from an authorised  distributor about a year ago and the hardware version is 01-05 and FPGA Version: 2021-11-08

S/N are simply related with dates of production and model version. Although, as some HW is common to several models, one can have a model with a S/N that was originally destined to another model (a crossflash done at factory :) ).

AFAIR, HW version is related with PCB board, (?) CPLDs programming...

That FPGA version is simply the date when the bitstream was produced.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 12:38:06 pm »
I think network device manufacturers are most guilty of this for some reason...   If you ever go to hunt for firmware updates, you really need to pay attention to the hardware version of your device.  Netgear seems to have at least 3 different hardware versions of every product they sell, with firmware unique to each revision.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 12:43:31 pm »
That's reassuring.  Thanks guys.

I am still curious why there are many places on the Amazon site saying they are an authorized distributor, they have warranty information posted, etc.  And one comment from "Manufacturer" saying they are also authorized.

But not on Siglent site.

Just odd.

Anyway, thanks again for the reassurance -- it was the 09-xx -> 01-xx that disturbed me, looked like a big jump back in time, but apparently time and digits are not in parallel.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 07:37:36 pm »
That's reassuring.  Thanks guys.

I am still curious why there are many places on the Amazon site saying they are an authorized distributor, they have warranty information posted, etc.  And one comment from "Manufacturer" saying they are also authorized.

But not on Siglent site.

Just odd.
Well it's only natural Siglent NA want to offer some confidence to buyers that their Amazon shop is their authorised distributor ....but from arms length so to not piss of their real bricks and mortar authorised distributors whom toes they have stepped on setting up their Amazon shop years ago..

Smart buyers will give their funds to their local authorised dealer for any support they might require in the future.
In NA you can find these dealers here:
https://siglentna.com/how-to-buy/

Anyway, thanks again for the reassurance -- it was the 09-xx -> 01-xx that disturbed me, looked like a big jump back in time, but apparently time and digits are not in parallel.
As others explained HW versions indicate component/PCB changes over the years these have been in production.
Occasionally a firmware revision might be required to accomodate how a component change interacts with the design.
An analysis of how Siglent SN#'s work is here:
https://www.siglenteu.com/operating-tip/siglent-serial-number-format/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 08:43:37 pm »
Smart buyers will give their funds to their local authorized dealer for any support they might require in the future.

Interestingly there is an authorized dealer about 90 minutes from me, except their web sites Siglent only had one product (SNA5000A) and their "Shop" had what looked like a default web site "TestRack Product Demonstration".  A key thing I was looking for (after price) was availability and shipping speed, not a word. Oddly, no street address either, just city and state.

But yes, I would have loved to drive over and pick one up, even if it costs the same or a bit more.  I buy all my (at least two orders of magnitude more expensive) camera gear in a shop in the same town (Bradenton, FL), and never order mail order.  But it's a real local store, with real people, and real products in the store.  This looked completely fake, probably people working from their homes, drop shipping product at best.  Maybe not even that .

Amazon has a huge advantage in fast shipping and online availability info, but I prefer local.  And I did actually try to buy local, just... that strange web site scared me away.  It's the only "local" I cold see.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 10:28:01 pm »
Smart buyers will give their funds to their local authorized dealer for any support they might require in the future.

Interestingly there is an authorized dealer about 90 minutes from me, except their web sites Siglent only had one product (SNA5000A) and their "Shop" had what looked like a default web site "TestRack Product Demonstration".  A key thing I was looking for (after price) was availability and shipping speed, not a word. Oddly, no street address either, just city and state.

But yes, I would have loved to drive over and pick one up, even if it costs the same or a bit more.  I buy all my (at least two orders of magnitude more expensive) camera gear in a shop in the same town (Bradenton, FL), and never order mail order.  But it's a real local store, with real people, and real products in the store.  This looked completely fake, probably people working from their homes, drop shipping product at best.  Maybe not even that .

Amazon has a huge advantage in fast shipping and online availability info, but I prefer local.  And I did actually try to buy local, just... that strange web site scared me away.  It's the only "local" I cold see.
Think you need look a bit harder at Test Rack Inc as they seem to have multiple locations covering 7 SE states with multiple sales reps responsible for different territories.
FL = Rich Muro and all his contact details are here:
https://www.testrack.com/sales-representatives/?v=1d20b5ff1ee9

Certainly worth a phone call to check what stock he actually has.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 11:29:00 pm »
Think you need look a bit harder at Test Rack Inc as they seem to have multiple locations covering 7 SE states with multiple sales reps responsible for different territories.

Fair enough, though to to your original point, it does not appear it is a local company, even if they have a local rep, and you said to spend money at my "local" dealer.

Nonetheless, it is done now. I did not mean to pick a fight over their abilities and should have hidden the name from the example.  My point was I bought from Amazon after trying to buy "locally" and deciding not to.

Online Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 09:37:40 am »
An analysis of how Siglent SN#'s work is here:
https://www.siglenteu.com/operating-tip/siglent-serial-number-format/

To the OP: my 01-05 SD1104X-E was made in spring 2022. As I stated here before, I bought it in june 2022 so it was quite fresh  :)

Thanks for the link, Tautech.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:40:26 am by Calambres »

The following users thanked this post: Linwood

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 08:53:22 pm »
To the OP: my 01-05 SD1104X-E was made in spring 2022. As I stated here before, I bought it in june 2022 so it was quite fresh  :)
Thank you for that link, mine was Winter 2022, so reassuringly.  Now I know what that "new oscilloscope smell" smells like.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf