Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 614785 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1450 on: July 21, 2019, 08:32:09 pm »
Nope, it can only use one or the other not both at once.

Yes, but through one interface you can "see" the other...

Which poses a problem: if you have all the network configured with DHCP, connected to the scope only via WIFI, but you have a static IP in  the scope's ETH interface (as seems to be the case), one can have a problems of collision between IPs. Must choose DHCP pool with care or have both scope's interfaces configured with DHCP.
It might seem so but what you cannot see from MikeLud's pics when in webserver mode, only the settings relevant to the active connection type selected on the instrument (WiFi or LAN) can be seen. To see the other it must be selected, working and active.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1451 on: July 21, 2019, 09:05:51 pm »
I don't want to insist, tautech, but the fact is he can ping both interfaces at the same time and reach the webserver via both IPs at the same time .

Offline Illusionist

• Regular Contributor
  • Why is the rum gone?
Odd display glitch on SDS1104X-E
« Reply #1452 on: July 29, 2019, 08:32:26 pm »
A few days ago I was watching the separation of some pulses, and started getting very odd display glitches. They lasted for around three seconds and repeated at a similar interval. They continued to repeat until I adjusted the trigger level, just a touch. Then things would be fine for a while (10-15 minutes) but the glitches returned. I'm certain there was nothing like the display in my signals! I made no other adjustments the whole while and wasn't doing anything 'clever' with the 'scope.

It hasn't happened like that since, although I do see an occasional (every few minutes or so) very quick glitch, as if a single frame of the display has gone a bit haywire. Blink and you miss it.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm a bit concerned my new 'scope is faulty.

This is the sort of display I was watching, with the edges moving relative to each other:

798009-0

And this is what the glitches looked like. That first one's a killer:

798027-1

798021-2

798015-3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:37:35 pm by Illusionist »
Agilent 34410A, GW Instek 8251A, Thurlby 1905A, Siglent DS1104X-E(unlocked), SDG1032X(unlocked), Micsig DP10013 MX, LeCroy PP008 500MHz Probes, Fluke 179

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1453 on: July 30, 2019, 05:47:01 pm »
someone here with SAG1021 and 6.1.33 Firmware installed?

When i try to import wave from my SDS1204X-E, in EasyWave error popups and the wave is corrupted:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:48:27 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1454 on: August 01, 2019, 11:08:27 am »
Another interessting behaviour is, i can save waves created in EasyWave in SDS Memory, they can be selected later from the read/send wave menu in EasyWave. I can see them over Telnet in usr Directory as well. Sure, they can't be selected from menu on SDS, nor deleted, but they has been stored and can be still selected with SCPI or EasyWave after SDS has been rebooted.

Based on Performa01 review "There is just no writeable permanent memory in this device, so we need to use an USB stick to store the waveform on the PC." -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1432667/#msg1432667

and Siglent's not very clear Statement -> https://www.siglentamerica.com/operating-tip/waveform-capture-regeneration-using-easywave-software-siglent-oscilloscope-awg-option/

i thought one can't save waves with EasyWave on SDS, but that seems to be not the case, at least with 6.1.33 Firmware.

To read them via SCPI call

STL? user

which returns for the two i saved "STL WVNM,wave,User", where "wave" and "User" are wave names created in Easy Wave

To call such user created wave from SDS Memory via SCPI one have to call it via:

C1:ARWV NAME, User

or

C1:ARWV NAME, wave

and the wave will get selected

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

The following users thanked this post: BillB

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1455 on: August 22, 2019, 01:55:11 am »
How awesome is the new FFT in firmware version 6.1.33? Answer = very awesome.
Yep.

Just revisiting FFT to set the scope up properly for an upcoming industry display.

Signal= SSG3021X LF output 1MHz 0dB terminated into a Tek 50 ohm BNC feedthrough.

SDS1104X-E FFT with full Marker table ON. All 8 markers used.
Note the fundamental (marker 2) @ 0dB via unknown BNC cable and Tek termination is just 25 mili dB down.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1456 on: August 25, 2019, 04:06:02 pm »
What does the first marker display?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1457 on: August 25, 2019, 08:20:25 pm »
What does the first marker display?
0Hz.

I only did it like that to show the FFT span was from 0-10 MHz while we all know the first marker wouldn't be sitting @ -22dB if the sweep had started at 100 Hz as there wouldn't be such a peak.
You can just see the frequency graticules across the top of the plot.
Markers were manually placed but if selecting Peak Markers from the FFT menu they all will be pushed right one peak and 0 Hz wouldn't have a marker on it.

Make sense ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #1458 on: September 09, 2019, 04:37:26 pm »
When will there be a firmware release update that fixes the lack of a trigger point in the data file?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:50:38 pm by graybeard »

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #1459 on: September 10, 2019, 02:51:33 pm »
When will there be a firmware release update that fixes the lack of a trigger point in the data file?

I am happy with the scope except for this fundamental flaw in the data file structure.

Offline helloitsme

« Reply #1460 on: September 15, 2019, 02:23:24 pm »
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum.
I have a doubt with my new 1204X-E oscilloscope. Can somebody please check if, with the probe set at 1X, probing the internal square wave reference generator, the wave shown in the screen is totally wrong and the verical position knob stops working, when setting vertical sensitivity 100mV/div and higher, due very likely to overload, since if I switch the probe to 10X everything works fine?

Thank you in advance
Luca
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 02:28:27 pm by helloitsme »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1461 on: September 15, 2019, 02:37:29 pm »
I have a doubt with my new 1204X-E oscilloscope. Can somebody please check if, with the probe set at 1X, probing the internal square wave reference generator, the wave shown in the screen is totally wrong and the verical position knob stops working, when setting vertical sensitivity 100mV/div and higher, due very likely to overload, since if I switch the probe to 10X everything works fine?

Thank you in advance
Luca
The signal is distorted but the vertical knob works just fine.  Why would you set the vertical sensitivity to overload?  What is the use case?

Offline helloitsme

« Reply #1462 on: September 15, 2019, 04:40:59 pm »
Hy TK, yes for sure it's no use. But I have just purchased my scope used, and wanted to make sure that it is ok. May you please have a look at the attached pictures and tell me if they look "normal" to you? Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:46:35 pm by helloitsme »

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #1463 on: September 15, 2019, 04:46:09 pm »

Thank you in advance
Luca

By driving the waveform way off screen you are hard clipping in the amplifier chain and driving it into a regime it was not designed to operate.  The resultant waveform you see is the amplifier recovering from the operator abuse.  Keep the entire waveform on screen and it will work correctly.

Offline helloitsme

« Reply #1464 on: September 15, 2019, 05:06:18 pm »

By driving the waveform way off screen you are hard clipping in the amplifier chain and driving it into a regime it was not designed to operate.  The resultant waveform you see is the amplifier recovering from the operator abuse.  Keep the entire waveform on screen and it will work correctly.
[/quote]

Sure. Just wanted to make sure it was simply due to dynamic limitation. Because the difference from 200mV/div to 100mV/div is rather abrupt.
That must probably be due to the fact that when switching from 200mV/div to 100mV/div a preamplifier kicks in.
May be it's me being more used to analog scopes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:08:05 pm by helloitsme »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1465 on: September 15, 2019, 05:38:58 pm »
Hy TK, yes for sure it's no use. But I have just purchased my scope used, and wanted to make sure that it is ok. May you please have a look at the attached pictures and tell me if they look "normal" to you? Many thanks.
Yes, they look "normal" to me.  My unit does the same.

The following users thanked this post: helloitsme

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #1466 on: September 15, 2019, 05:40:11 pm »
Sure. Just wanted to make sure it was simply due to dynamic limitation. Because the difference from 200mV/div to 100mV/div is rather abrupt.
That must probably be due to the fact that when switching from 200mV/div to 100mV/div a preamplifier kicks in.
May be it's me being more used to analog scopes.

If you drive an analog scope hard enough it will do something similar.

The following users thanked this post: helloitsme

Offline helloitsme

« Reply #1467 on: September 15, 2019, 06:28:04 pm »
Yes, I'm asking too much to that poor front end.
Thank you guys  :-+

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #1468 on: September 15, 2019, 06:36:32 pm »

The front end good enough for it's designed purpose.   There is nothing poor about it. It works.
I have, use, and have used many scopes; from old Tek tube scopes, HP, Agilent, R&S, and even Keysight 33 GHz real time scopes.  The Siglent is an excellent scope for the price and I am very happy with mine.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1469 on: September 15, 2019, 08:15:19 pm »

The front end good enough for it's designed purpose.   There is nothing poor about it. It works.
I have, use, and have used many scopes; from old Tek tube scopes, HP, Agilent, R&S, and even Keysight 33 GHz real time scopes.  The Siglent is an excellent scope for the price and I am very happy with mine.
I dont think helloitsme is saying it is a poorly designed front end. He says it is poor because he is overloading it

Offline helloitsme

« Reply #1470 on: September 15, 2019, 08:50:40 pm »
In fact, that's exactly what I was meaning to say. "Poor" is because I was abusing it, not a judging statement of any kind. Besides, I am happy to have also your confirmation that I made the right choice purchasing this scope.

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #1471 on: September 28, 2019, 05:09:21 pm »
[ BUG ]
I found an interesing bug. The vertical cursor lines are aligned to the grid lines and the horizontal are not. It happens on all the channels with different vertical scales.

Attached the screenshots and zoom in on the cursor lines.

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1472 on: September 28, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »
Nice catch! Makes you wonder what's true, grid or cursor.
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1473 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:54 pm »
The vertical cursor lines are aligned to the grid lines and the horizontal are not. It happens on all the channels with different vertical scales.

Let´s see if I could confirm it on monday, we got a siglent on work.

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #1474 on: September 28, 2019, 08:50:02 pm »
[ BUG ]
I found an interesing bug. The vertical cursor lines are aligned to the grid lines and the horizontal are not. It happens on all the channels with different vertical scales.

Attached the screenshots and zoom in on the cursor lines.
BTW, the background of the window with cursors data is still awful because the text inside is often unreadable. I think it's not the first time I mention it but it seems that I'm the only one whom it annoys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf