Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607675 times)

Offline Willem2018

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1500 on: October 14, 2019, 04:09:37 pm »
Strange.
I tried again and my .bmp files are around 750 KByte.
In  .jpg format they are 120kByte. Both formats are 800 x 480.

I try to send the 3 screenshots in .jpg format.
I hope things are going well now

---------------------------------------------------------------
I see: now the images are oke. :)
For completeness I append my original questions

I have made some I2C experiments with my nice SDS 1104X-E scope (software version 6.1.33) and have a question about the record length of I2C data.
I send I2C data from an Arduino Pro Mini to a MPC4725 12 bit DAC on slave address 0x64 followed by the update command byte 0x40. After each update 0x40 follow 2 bytes DAC data from 0x00/0x00 to 0x26/0x26  (total 117 bytes, from 0Volt to approx. 0.5V) .
If I decode this data on my SDS 1104X-E  I can see only the first 66  bytes in the Long Data window, please see screenshot_1.
Question: is 66 the maximum I2C record length?

Another I2C question I have is about the data in the bottom (blue) data line, please see screenshot_2. Here the time base for the same data is 200usec/div.
As you can see the bottom data line is a fragment of the long data window. If I turn the Y-position to the left to see more data the complete data suddenly disappear, see screenshot_3.
Is this a bug in the scope software?

Many thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:14:28 pm by Willem2018 »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1501 on: October 14, 2019, 04:53:12 pm »
The SDS1104X-E decodes what is in the screen, so if you are pushing the i2c start condition out of the screen, it will not decode.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1502 on: October 14, 2019, 07:49:43 pm »
The SDS1104X-E decodes what is in the screen, so if you are pushing the i2c start condition out of the screen, it will not decode.
The workaround is to Decode in Zoom mode but with the main timebase as slow as possible (not ROLL mode) and then examine the decoded data in the zoomed window.
Then in Zoom we can walk the H pos over some 100's of ms of data without problems and still see where we are in relation to the decode trigger position.

The strong clues to this are mem depth on top right of the display, slow timebase settings offer the most memory available where when in Zoom mode we then have a large field to study.
Like with any DSO, the more data we have captured the more we have to inspect.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1503 on: October 14, 2019, 09:03:21 pm »

Yes, it decode always full currently used acquisition memory length *) and decoders are software based (so it can decode also from history waveform buffer and from sequence mode saved acquisitions)

*) Acquisition length = display width, always. Whole memory length is always exactly same as display width, independent of if capture length is 7 pts or 14Mpts. There is no overlap part of trace outside of screen. 

(there is more explanations etc., but only by finnish)

Max amount of IIC messages is 1000 (2 independent IIC decoders, both 1000 messsages max). Independent of if message length is 1 or 32bytes. I have not tested with longer than 32byte messages.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:03:13 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Willem2018

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: October 14, 2019, 10:08:36 pm »
Strange.

FYI not all file types can be uploaded directly to the forum:
Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, jpeg, pdf, png, txt, zip, tar, c, h, hex, bas, xls, odt, asm, wav, aiff, wma, mp3, flac, asc, ods, xlsx, py
Many file types can be converted to the allowed types with various programs like MS Paint or uploaded with a false file extension like .txt and add a note to remove the .txt so they can be used in their native/correct format.

All SDS****X-E models export screenshots in .png to USB and are only some 30-70 KB depending on the scope settings.
If your scope settings have been changed and now not exporting screenshots in .png use the Default button to return it to factory settings.

Later so to not have similar issues use the Save/Recall menu to change/set the behavior of the Default button where you can set your own default settings like V/div, active channels, timebase etc, etc.
You can also reset the Default to factory settings if you make some mistake or change your personal default settings later.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Willem2018

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1505 on: October 15, 2019, 08:48:35 am »
There is no need to change extensions in the forum. Just zip the "strange" file to .ZIP and you get an official .ZIP file that one can upload. Anyone can download it and store it like that and, later, any program/OS will know how to deal with it. It's a simple operation and involves no "patchings".

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:35 am »
P60 seems still broken, so...

I posted roughly the following on page 60 of this thread:

With the recent onslaught of new firmware versions for Siglent equipment, most notably the sds1xx4X-E and the sdg2000X, Siglent's published User Guides (and Service Manuals) have become inaccurate in some respects and parts, and in a few cases just wrong

Is anyone working on documenting these changes, perhaps updating manuals or writing addendi?

Is Siglent addressing this issue?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1507 on: October 15, 2019, 09:43:47 am »
what part of the manual are you after, what commands or controls?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: October 15, 2019, 09:46:05 am »
P60 seems still broken, so...

I posted roughly the following on page 60 of this thread:

With the recent onslaught of new firmware versions for Siglent equipment, most notably the sds1xx4X-E and the sdg2000X, Siglent's published User Guides (and Service Manuals) have become inaccurate in some respects and parts, and in a few cases just wrong

Is anyone working on documenting these changes, perhaps updating manuals or writing addendi?

Is Siglent addressing this issue?
If not they’re about to have a discussion about just that, whether they want to or not....spent some good time today on an email to those that can change things.

Yes this has been bugging me too and the issue doesn’t just affect SDS1000X-E documents, as you’ve noticed others too.  >:(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #1509 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:09 am »
Right now documentation is their weakest point.

The fate of our times, on the other hand. Poorer documentation and mostly silly videos instead.

Offline Willem2018

• Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: October 15, 2019, 10:08:30 am »
Strange.

FYI not all file types can be uploaded directly to the forum:
Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, jpeg, pdf, png, txt, zip, tar, c, h, hex, bas, xls, odt, asm, wav, aiff, wma, mp3, flac, asc, ods, xlsx, py
Many file types can be converted to the allowed types with various programs like MS Paint or uploaded with a false file extension like .txt and add a note to remove the .txt so they can be used in their native/correct format.

All SDS****X-E models export screenshots in .png to USB and are only some 30-70 KB depending on the scope settings.
If your scope settings have been changed and now not exporting screenshots in .png use the Default button to return it to factory settings.

Later so to not have similar issues use the Save/Recall menu to change/set the behavior of the Default button where you can set your own default settings like V/div, active channels, timebase etc, etc.
You can also reset the Default to factory settings if you make some mistake or change your personal default settings later.

Thanks for your quick response!

No big issue but after pressed the Default button and saved the same scope screenshot with all the possible extensions:
.png  751kB
.bmp 1501kB
.jpg  43kB

A very big difference in size.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:13:09 am by Willem2018 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: October 15, 2019, 10:20:35 am »

No big issue but after pressed the Default button and saved the same scope screenshot with all the possible extensions:
.png  751kB
.bmp 1501kB
.jpg  43kB

To USB stick ?

Tip, use the blue Print button to save directly to a USB stick. Much faster than using the Save/Recall menu path.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Willem2018

• Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: October 15, 2019, 10:32:42 am »

.png  751kB
.bmp 1501kB
.jpg  43kB

To USB stick ?

Tip, use the blue Print button to save directly to a USB stick. Much faster than using the Save/Recall menu path.

No I saved it via USB and EasyScopeX on my PC. Then in the Virtual Panel right-click and Save As --> the png is 750kByte
But your suggestion 'blue Print button to save directly to a USB stick' did it!
Now the .png file is only 26kB.
Again: no big issue but rather odd and this big EasyScopeX .png perhaps caused the upload problems on page60?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: October 15, 2019, 10:51:45 am »

.png  751kB
.bmp 1501kB
.jpg  43kB

To USB stick ?

No I saved it via USB and EasyScopeX on my PC. Then in the Virtual Panel right-click and Save As --> the png is 750kByte
OK, now instead of EasyScope use the scopes inbuilt webrowser.
Utility>I/O>LAN>IP
Turn DHCP ON to get an IP address from your modem then turn OFF.
Enter this IP into your browser bar and hit enter.
Have fun, much more fun !  :)

But your suggestion 'blue Print button to save directly to a USB stick' did it!
Now the .png file is only 26kB.
:-+
Again: no big issue but rather odd and this big EasyScopeX .png perhaps caused the upload problems on page60?
Possibly, something we need to check out.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1514 on: October 15, 2019, 12:22:24 pm »
For capturing data, the web interface really shines, you can just rapid fire off image captures and they download via your browser skipping the usb step entirely, I believe you can also grab channel data this way, but I've been off on site for a few weeks so I'm working from memory.

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1515 on: October 15, 2019, 02:06:10 pm »
I investigated the averaging script to see whether it is really possible to extract more signal details.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/automated-wave-capture-for-siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-dsos/

To test this I created a arbitrary waveform with 2 sines superimposed on each other. One only 0.5% of the main sine and 50x the freq. That's sine way "played" at 1000 hz and a 5 V amplitude.

When using the averaging script 0.08V std deviation noise was added, via the combine function C1=C1+C2 on the AWG.

The signal was fetched with 202 segments, which where averaged and plotted in Excel.

In the high res image the second sine can clearly be seen. I think this shows that for a repeating signal this method allows to extract details, without losing the oversight of the signal.

The scripting tool now doesn't use the VISA com-wrappers anymore, but instead uses the Visa32/Visa64 dll directly. Which means USB connection does now work. (The com wrappers where faulty using them). After running some more tests I'll upload the new tool and scripts.

(B.t.w. the screenshots the script takes in PNG format are around 20 kB.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:58:14 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1516 on: October 15, 2019, 03:15:55 pm »
I wondered if it was possible to clean up the imperfections the noise may add to the signal. To do that I captured the noise with another channel and calculated a new average signal, with subtracting the average noise of each sample.
The difference between the two can be seen in the image. The noise (of the noise) can indeed be taken away a bit further. Important to mention is that these details are less than the dac step size.

There're other ways to lower/lift the signal to get sub-step size resolution, but these involve following the scope acquisition cycles. So adding noise is probably the easiest way.
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1517 on: October 31, 2019, 06:56:03 pm »
I see quite a lot of lag on the screen of my SDS1204X-E with the 6.1.33 firmware when measurements are active. Looks like the trace is paused for maybe a hundred milliseconds while it's taking a measurement and updating the screen. Is this expected? I couldn't find any post in this thread when searching for "lag".

I've filmed the scope to demonstrate. Video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zeJAm1xtiRL67nXrLH39QUYI-IuTzVd4/view

1. The video starts with measurements off. The trace moves smoothly.
2. I click the measure button, with the "all measure" option on, and movement quickly starts to lag. There is a noticeable pause in the trace every time measurements are updated on the screen.
3. I turn off the "all measure" option. Lag is now much much worse, even though there are no measurements visible on the screen, only the trace.
4. I enable the "all measure" option again. Lag only happens when updating measurements on the screen again, like #2.
5. I click the measure button to get out of measure mode. The trace moves smoothly, like #1.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »
While it should not be the case, does the behavior change if you reduce your sample memory size?

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1519 on: October 31, 2019, 07:52:31 pm »
While it should not be the case, does the behavior change if you reduce your sample memory size?

I just tested, and reducing the memory depth to 1.4M fixes the lag and makes the measurements appear much more often.
Going back to 14M reintroduces the lag instantly.

Am I the only one seeing this behavior?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: October 31, 2019, 09:51:27 pm »
Am I the only one seeing this behavior?
No, you're certainly not.

Everyone who is analysing signals at slow timebases on a DSO with long memory and deep measurements will experience some lag - and the SDS1000X-E entry level DSOs are certainly not the worst in this regard, even when compared to instruments that cost 10 times more.

Automatic measurements on the SDS1000X-E analyze the full record length up to 14Mpts. This means that you get the full signal analysis capabilities of a modern DSO, as you can measure e.g. the period, duty cycle and rise/fall times of a PWM signal with good accuracy all at the same time even at a slow 1ms/div timebase.

Some other DSOs use a much shorter secondary buffer for math and measurements, and some are even limited to just the screen buffer, which sets them back to the capabilities of an analog scope where you need to zoom in for meaningful transition time measurements and cannot get even remotely accurate period or duty cycle measurements at all.

The following users thanked this post: blurpy

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1521 on: November 01, 2019, 06:50:49 am »
Thanks for the explanation, Performa01! It's good to know that it's not something wrong with my scope.

From an ignorant users standpoint, the behavior does look like a bug to me. I can definitely understand that it's processing a lot of data, and presenting that data will not always be real time. But as I could clearly see, presenting the data is not a bottleneck in itself, as it's quite fast when the memory length is shorter.

So the fact that the trace lags when updating measurements makes it look like the classic "doing background work on the ui thread" issue. Usually solved by doing time consuming work in the background and updating the ui when done. There could be good reasons for doing it the current way, including technical difficulties or complexity, accuracy (though since it only updates once a sec anyway it's not really representing any current state), or they don't worry about it since no one has complained.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: November 01, 2019, 08:15:55 am »
Thanks for the explanation, Performa01! It's good to know that it's not something wrong with my scope.

From an ignorant users standpoint, the behavior does look like a bug to me. I can definitely understand that it's processing a lot of data, and presenting that data will not always be real time. But as I could clearly see, presenting the data is not a bottleneck in itself, as it's quite fast when the memory length is shorter.

So the fact that the trace lags when updating measurements makes it look like the classic "doing background work on the ui thread" issue. Usually solved by doing time consuming work in the background and updating the ui when done. There could be good reasons for doing it the current way, including technical difficulties or complexity, accuracy (though since it only updates once a sec anyway it's not really representing any current state), or they don't worry about it since no one has complained.
Try this and this observed behavior is somewhat different:
A faster timebase
Another channel using the same ADC.

As Performa01 points out, it's indicative of the sample size processed and additional active channels and/or a different timebase will result in smaller sample size to be processed.
Not all use cases will be impacted.......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: blurpy

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: November 01, 2019, 08:48:53 am »

I understand what you're saying - and I also can only speculate about the reasons.

On the other hand, I had quite some discussions with Siglent R&D about measurements and I know that they do care - even though quite often I am the only one complaining about something ;)

The fact that it works smooth with 1.4Mpts record length (which you generally should not take for granted) shows that the implementation in the Siglent DSOs isn't that bad after all. Manufacturers usually don't specify the max. data length for math and measurements, but you can bet not many will actually analyze up to 14Mpts. There is one particular (expensive) brand whose DSOs are infamous for getting unresponsive as soon as they have anything demanding (like math or measurements) to do. I'm not sure you'd like such an approach better?

The bottleneck is certainly processing and bus transfer speed as well as the (limited) size of fast internal memory, and embedded platforms (even with the pretty powerful Xilinx Zynq) cannot be compared to a modern PC (which is what upper-midrange and high-end DSOs are based on). We cannot acquire and display new data while analyzing the sample memory at the same time, because the analyzed data need to remain consistent during analysis. With 14Mpts record length, there are "only" 3 records in the history (42Mpts total per channel pair!), hence the currently analysed record gets overwritten by the acquisition process much faster than the CPU can analyse it to get all the measurements. As a consequence, the acquisition process has to be halted until analysis is complete.

A 4 channel SDS1004X-E has a total of 28Mpts sample memory (up to >100Mpts in History and Sequence mode). If we were able to take a "snapshot" of the sample memory, i.e. copy the entire 28Mpts to some internal memory of the ARM CPU (on a separate memory bus) and then analyse it locally in the background, then the interruptions of the acquisition and consequently display process could certainly be much shorter and would most likely not be noticable at all even with 14Mpts record length. But my guess would be that there is just no local memory on a separate bus that is as big as the maximum record length for all channels together (at least 28MB) ...

To cut a long story short, neither the UI nor the display is blocked by the measurements, it is actually the acquisition that needs to be briefly paused in order to prevent it from corrupting the data just being analysed. With shorter record lengths (either by limiting it in the Acquisition menu or selecting a faster timebase) this problem eases pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:51:46 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, blurpy

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1524 on: November 01, 2019, 09:03:59 am »
I think you resumed it pretty well.

Just want to add that with the new development toolchains available to these new embedded procs, there is a tendency to have more overhead in all of the code (the tradeoff of faster time-to-market...). This overhead also penalizes the speed.

These equipments are no more compatible with fully Assembly development project (optimized to the extreme).

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf