Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 605591 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1975 on: March 26, 2021, 03:02:48 am »
I bought an 1104X-E recently and am so far very pleased. It came with manual -E03A which I now see has been updated and current manual is -E05A. So I quickly scanned through for "what has changed?" (Unfortunately, the manuals don't reference specific firmware versions, etc).

Some differences I noted which might be significant.

1. The new manual drops the statement "SDS1000X-E has full BW with all V/div settings including 500uV/div to 2mV/div." which appeared in the old. (mine is 6.1.35R2; maintains tr, tf at around 1.4nS (rebirthed as 1204X-E!) at 500uV/div OK)
2. The new manual drops the statement, with respect to triggering, “No matter whether the input of the channel selected is enabled, the channel can work normally.” (Mine does not; If the channel is deselected, it does not appear as a trigger source option.).
3 The new manual drops the statement “SIGLENT provides passive probes for the oscilloscopes. For detailed technical information of the probes, please refer to the corresponding Probe User’s Guide.”  (Mine certainly came with probes).

So the question is - why the changes?
To accommodate the very similar but slightly different new model SDS1104X-U.
These new DSO's now share the the same manual.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Roman oh

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1976 on: March 26, 2021, 03:43:20 pm »
I'm just looking for my first scope, and some days ago I said I wasn't considering DS1000Z+ "'cause it's outdated". Do you hear that? It's just me eating my own words right now. How the ignorant dares...

Two ways of looking at maturity:  It's just old or 'all the bugs have finally been squashed'.  It took Rigol a couple of years to do this and several firmware upgrades.  I have no idea where 'bugs' stand with Siglent.  You can chase this down or just figure that it should be pretty good by now, it's getting fairly mature as well.  What you don't want to do is buy the 'Thursday Model', recently released whiz-bang scope.

The big complaint with the Rigol is the poor responsiveness of the controls.  This isn't just grousing, it's a very real issue.  Whether it matters is a different question.  If I spend 2% of my scope time twiddling knobs, how much time do I save if the GUI is twice as fast?  OTOH, why buy in to a GUI that is known to be slow when the Siglent is purportedly much more interactive.  And, unlocked, twice the bandwidth.

A less responsive GUI isn't a joy to use so one of my goals in considering the Siglent upgrade to my Rigol is the performance of the GUI.  The other is bandwidth, more is always better.  I'm considering, not actually spending money.

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1977 on: March 29, 2021, 06:08:10 am »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, I see that the -05 manual includes references to the -U version. If your comment is an answer to my question, does that imply that the -U does not have full BW at 500uV/div range and does not come with probes? Strange way to address model differences if so :D Or is Siglent keeping its options option wrt a possible future downgrade of the -E package?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1978 on: March 29, 2021, 06:16:27 am »

Yes, I see that the -05 manual includes references to the -U version. If your comment is an answer to my question, does that imply that the -U does not have full BW at 500uV/div range and does not come with probes? Strange way to address model differences if so :D Or is Siglent keeping its options option wrt a possible future downgrade of the -E package?
X-U max sensitivity is 1mV therefore cannot operate at 500uV....yes this Chinglish is a little confusing.
Of course both X-E and X-U come with probes.

X-U is the downgraded X-E and its $100 less price reflects this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Roman oh

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1979 on: March 29, 2021, 06:24:51 am »
Differences, including also info about probes.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech, AmnevaR, Mortymore, SMB784, Roman oh

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1980 on: March 30, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »
Differences, including also info about probes.

Thanks for this handy comparison. I suppose the comparison for WIFI capabilities is a bit less rosy for the SDS1104/1204X-E than advertised, considering that it's impossible to use in a situation where you can't change the SSID name or password to fit the restrictions imposed by the scope's wifi firmware. The duration of this handicap would lead one to believe that it's more a feature rather than a bug.

Offline khutch004

• Contributor
« Reply #1981 on: April 08, 2021, 06:30:42 pm »
I have a suggestion to Siglent, if they listen here. I have an SDS1104X-E and an SDG2042. They work well together to do Bode plots. The process is very slow however. The function is great for making measurements but useless for tuning a radio IF, for example, in real time. It is fairly easy to make real time swept measurements with the pair by having the generator sweep at the desired rate and setting the scope sweep time to match. You can even have the second channel generate a sync pulse. There is a sync output on the back of the generator that works fine too. The front panel connector for channel 2 is just more convenient to use!

The display you see on the scope is the envelop of the test signal as it is swept through the pass band of whatever it is that you are testing/tuning. It is perfectly useable as it is. It would that much nicer, however, if you could set the vertical display of the scope to give you the log of the output voltage, a dB scale in other words. I realize that there are mathematical issues with doing this on a signal that passes through zero but there are reasonable things you could do about that. Just setting a minimum displayed level for the current sensitivity setting for example.

Of course you can do much the same thing with an external log amp and I have one on order. It just seems to me that the scope firmware could do this sort of thing and make the external amp unnecessary....

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1982 on: April 09, 2021, 03:47:34 am »
I have a suggestion to Siglent, if they listen here. I have an SDS1104X-E and an SDG2042. They work well together to do Bode plots. The process is very slow however. The function is great for making measurements but useless for tuning a radio IF, for example, in real time. It is fairly easy to make real time swept measurements with the pair by having the generator sweep at the desired rate and setting the scope sweep time to match. You can even have the second channel generate a sync pulse. There is a sync output on the back of the generator that works fine too. The front panel connector for channel 2 is just more convenient to use!

The display you see on the scope is the envelop of the test signal as it is swept through the pass band of whatever it is that you are testing/tuning. It is perfectly useable as it is. It would that much nicer, however, if you could set the vertical display of the scope to give you the log of the output voltage, a dB scale in other words. I realize that there are mathematical issues with doing this on a signal that passes through zero but there are reasonable things you could do about that. Just setting a minimum displayed level for the current sensitivity setting for example.

Of course you can do much the same thing with an external log amp and I have one on order. It just seems to me that the scope firmware could do this sort of thing and make the external amp unnecessary....

Perhaps you have found it works some amount faster if you turn ALC off. (Channel Gain Auto/Hold, select Hold) But in this case you need manually first check what is maximum level and manually set channel V/Div so that signal do not clip.
Naturally maximum dynamic range is now limited and not anymore up to even 140dB.

Still it is quite slow. I have not now available SDS1000X-E for check, I am far away from my homeland.
But I just tested using SDS2000XPlus and one case, simple 3 xtal 11MHz ladder, 20kHz span swept with 250Hz steps. ALC off, 17s and ALC On  51s.  SDS2000XPlus also slows speed down when ALC On and signal  out from DUT is very weak, near noise.

Attached this test image when measured 17.1s  sweep repeat interval.  And yes it is still slow. But not hopeless slow even for fine tuning filter. For rough preliminary adjust no need even this freq resolution.
Depending case and what we are adjusting, rough steps do not need high freq resolution so it can speed up and then use higher resolution when do some fine adjustments. Here was used 250Hz resolution. Maximal with 20kHz span is 40Hz.

Naturally analog sweeper and analog scope can be much faster, but even then, if filter is enough narrow, there need reduce speed. In history I have used analog scope and sweeper quite lot, but in history also special instruments like example ancient R&S  SWOB.
Just same reason why sweeping spectrum analyzer slows down sweep when RBW is more narrow. Now our "RBW" is this filter under test. Some usual IF filters are of course so wide and not extremely steep,  it is not reason for this slow speed in scope BodePlot. But, it need also remember that DUT is unknown and PB need handle it even if there is very steep edge.

Now when BodePlot sweep, it can not know what is next step, it can be just up to full dynamic range step. It need keep speed so slow that even this is possible. Because DUT is unknown. It can not predict DUT response and adjust optimal speed. it need use worst case speed and then of course time what need command SDG and wait it settle and give also time to DUT for settle. And if ALC is On, then adjust optimal input channel V/div.  And after all ready then start measurement. Plot data to primary table and after then go to next step. Bode plot display is secondary, it only draw to display what data is in primary full resolution table.
Lets hope some day it is possible that also user can adjust this bode plot step delay and also turn it to wide mode. (as we know it listen only this frequency what it have asked from SDG, it works like frequency selective level receiver... in some cases, when DUT do freq conversion (simplest example, mixer), we need full span wide level "receiver" *if we can not adjust offset, (if offset is known and constant.))

SDS2kX+  is not same as 1kX-E but also there is difference in speed when ALC on/off
20kHz span, 250Hz freq steps. ALC Off aka Input Channel Gain:Manual  17s sweep interval (Image)
20kHz span, 250Hz freq steps. ALC On aka Input Channel Gain: Auto   51s sweep interval (no separate image, only bottom right corner have less noise.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:51:49 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: nez, khutch004

Offline nez

• Contributor
« Reply #1983 on: April 09, 2021, 05:55:36 am »
Perhaps you have found it works some amount faster if you turn ALC off. (Channel Gain Auto/Hold, select Hold) But in this case you need manually first check what is maximum level and manually set channel V/Div so that signal do not clip.
Naturally maximum dynamic range is now limited and not anymore up to even 140dB.

Thanks for the tip on that!  I like the increased speed if I know I don't need the dynamic gain.

Although, when I just tried BodePlot II on my SDS1104X-E with Channel Gain set to Hold, it seemed to leave the SDG2042X AWG in a weird state where front panel was locked/unresponsive after I stopped the plot.  After starting another plot on the scope after setting Channel Gain back to Auto, the AWG problem went away.

I didn't have time to look much into it, so I can check it out again later if no one else has the issue.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:57:21 am by nez »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1984 on: April 09, 2021, 07:10:46 am »
Although, when I just tried BodePlot II on my SDS1104X-E with Channel Gain set to Hold, it seemed to leave the SDG2042X AWG in a weird state where front panel was locked/unresponsive after I stopped the plot.  After starting another plot on the scope after setting Channel Gain back to Auto, the AWG problem went away.

I didn't have time to look much into it, so I can check it out again later if no one else has the issue.
Thing is nez, when a SDG is connected to your scope and it's in Bode plot mode it's not yours anymore as the scope owns it !
Turn Bode plot to OFF and you can have it back.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:30:21 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline khutch004

• Contributor
« Reply #1985 on: April 09, 2021, 06:48:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, rf-loop, I will keep that in mind!

I've got plenty of ways to do the job. The Bode plot, a traditional swept signal measurement with or without a log amp, a nanoVNA, and perhaps I will get a SSA3021X Plus soon with its built in tracking generator!

It just occurred to me that this would be a useful option to have on the vertical axis and that it is already implemented in some fashion in the Bode software so maybe not too hard to make available all the time. I don't know if it would have any use beyond the one I envision but even with just that one application it might further endear their customers to Siglent products and what business doesn't love that!?

I'm using my test gear to restore old tube radios. Keeping it all safe when connected to circuits that run on 400 VDC is my biggest challenge!!  ;D

Offline nez

• Contributor
« Reply #1986 on: April 09, 2021, 10:28:43 pm »

Thing is nez, when a SDG is connected to your scope and it's in Bode plot mode it's not yours anymore as the scope owns it !
Turn Bode plot to OFF and you can have it back.  ;)

For my combo of SDS1104x-e and SDG2042x, the AWG front panel doesn't get locked during Bode plots (that's totally ok with me, I don't need it locked).

However, it turns out the issue is a little different than I thought at first.

Test setup:
- Unlocked SDG2042x CH 1 and 2 connected to unlocked SDS1104x-e CH 1 and 2.
- AWG channel coupling on, both channels enabled.
- Bode plot sweep from 10 Hz to 120 MHz.
- Tested with Channel Gain set to 'Auto' first, then 'Hold'.
- Latest firmwares on scope and AWG.

When set to 'Auto' for Channel Gain (i.e. default setting), the Bode plot progresses at a consistant rate as expected.

When set to 'Hold' for Channel Gain, the Bode plot progresses much quicker early on, but later on slows down a lot and progresses in noticable bursts of activity with lag time in-between bursts.  The overall rate of progression becomes much slower.
After reaching the end of the sweep, it resets back to the start of the plot for another sweep as expected but has a very short amount of time at the faster rate before slowing down again into the bursty lagged progression.  This pattern repeats each time the Plot restarts at the beginning for the next sweep.

For another angle of analysis, if I stop the Bode plot (including exiting BodePlot II completely), if the Channel Gain was in 'Hold' mode where the problem above was described, the AWG front panel is unresponsive for ~20 to 60 seconds.  It's not actually locked -- If I hit a button or turn the knob to change something, it will make a single beep immediately, then 'hang' for that 20-60 seconds, after which the first button/knob press (that beeped) takes affect. Any subsequent button presses while in the 'hanging' state don't take affect (not queued).

My best guess is that there is a bug that's expressed in Channel Gain 'Hold' mode that floods some kind of command buffer in the SDG2042x, which takes significant time for it to process through, and once this buffer is full the SDS1104x-e scope isn't able to send any more commands till there is space in the AWG buffer, hence causing the 'bursty' slow progression of the Bode plot.

Likewise the front panel operations don't get processed until after the other buffer is cleared (completely?), so the first button press beeps and hangs for a while.

Maybe the SDS2000XPlus series scopes avoid this issue.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:34:00 pm by nez »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline KC6Q

« Reply #1987 on: April 27, 2021, 05:28:15 am »
Given that SDS1104X-E can be unlocked to have 200 MHz bandwidth (this is still possible with newer copies of the scope, right?), is there any reason to buy the considerably more expensive SDS1204X-E over SDS1104X-E?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1988 on: April 27, 2021, 08:07:36 am »
Given that SDS1104X-E can be unlocked to have 200 MHz bandwidth (this is still possible with newer copies of the scope, right?), is there any reason to buy the considerably more expensive SDS1204X-E over SDS1104X-E?
Welcome to the forum.

The current firmware that permits improvements is over a year old therefore little has changed.  ;)
4x PP510 probes vs 4x PP215 probes account for $40 of the current price difference where a while back it was double when PP510 was cheaper however PP215 are a slightly better match for higher frequencies although this matters little for general use.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: HerbTarlek, KC6Q

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1989 on: May 28, 2021, 08:01:17 pm »
SDS1000X-U firmware v1.1.5R6

This is for PRODUCT_ID 17001.
The only product in the X-U range, SDS1104X-U has its own thread and yes that FW came out a couple of weeks back.  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-1120-new-sds1104x-u-4-channel-100mhz-1gsas-economy-oscilloscope/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #1990 on: June 20, 2021, 08:16:30 pm »
Is SDS1000X-E still supported? Are any firmware updates expected?

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1991 on: June 21, 2021, 05:06:19 pm »
I finally decided to reach out directly to Siglent over the whole "wifi doesn't connect to networks with spaces and/or special characters in the SSID/PSK" issue:

Code: [Select]
I have owned a Siglent SDS1104X-E for a few years now, and I cannot connect the unit to my wifi. I do not control the SSID or password for the wifi
I use, and I have discovered that the unit cannot connect to the wifi if the SSID possesses as space or a special character (e.g. -, &, +, etc), nor can
it connect if the wifi password has either spaces or special characters in it.

This is a severel imitation, I need my unit to be able to connect to this wifi so that I can automate my measurements. I have spent money on the wifi
dongle for this purpose, but in this situation it is useless. What can I do to make this unit work with this wifi network, given that I cannot control
either the SSID or the password?

Here is their response:

Code: [Select]
Hi SMB784,

Jason @ SIGLENT North America here. Thank you for writing.

Engineering is aware of the limitation regarding the current situation with the XE firmware being incompatible with SSIDs and PSKs that have spaces or special characters.

The current solution is to only use the WiFi on networks that have SSIDs and PSKs that do not have spaces or special characters.

Engineering is working on a firmware enhancement that will allow special characters and spaces, but it has not been released yet. I do not know when it will be released.

My recommendation would be to sign up for our monthly newsletter. We send out notifications for FW changes in each issue, so when it is fixed, you can quickly receive that information:

https://siglentna.com/orbital-care/

NOTE: The WiFi option does not work with Mesh networks. If you wish to use the device on more complex networking configurations, then this may be an appropriate option:

https://siglentna.com/operating-tip/wifi-performance-is-slow-or-does-not-connect-well-to-my-network/

J

So basically the gist is that they are aware of this problem, they are trying to fix it, but they have no idea when that fix will be ready.  Also, the things don't work with mesh wifi networks unless you have a different dongle (see link in response), which may explain some of the slow remote responses some people are experiencing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:09:27 pm by SMB784 »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1992 on: June 28, 2021, 08:19:02 pm »
Is SDS1000X-E still supported? Are any firmware updates expected?
They no longer reply to issues/bug reports so I guess low priority or no longer of interest.

Read the post directly above yours.

I messaged them about the firmware issue regarding the Wifi SSID name, and they responded, and said they are working on it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1993 on: August 24, 2021, 02:56:51 pm »
New firmware and optional OS update for SDS1104 and 1204X-E models.

Version V6.1.37R2
8.7 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.37R2_EN.zip

Release notes
Added data logger featuring Sample  and Measurement Logger functions
Added counter function
Added Labels
Added NTP (Network Time Protocol) and Time Zone. Also requires OS update to SDS1xx4X-E_OSV2 which is located on the SIGLENT product webpage. The OS Update Instructions is also included SDS1xx4X-E_OSV2.zip
Modified negative or positive of horizontal delay: Time zero is in trigger. Before trigger, time position is -time (negative delay relative to trigger) and after trigger is +time  (positive delay relative to trigger)
Fixed a bug with Bin2CSV for ROLL mode
Rebuilt Bin2CSV to File Converter which can also convert data logger file to CSV.
Fixed a bug: some case there is a blue line on decode bus
Fixed a bug with saving hex MSO CSV file
Fixed a bug: After rebooting , Bode Plot cursor can’t be moved
Fixed a bug: fine adjusting with customer probe
WiFi supported Spaces and Special Characters

OS V2
17.8 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_OSV2_EN.zip

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:35:59 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: MT, tubularnut, 4x1md, SMB784, bdunham7, blurpy

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1994 on: August 24, 2021, 06:22:54 pm »
New firmware and optional OS update for SDS1104 and 1204X-E models.

Very nice!  Trying the data logger now.  What are labels?

Will the OS update affect the, um, "upgrades"?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1995 on: August 24, 2021, 08:38:10 pm »
Hi Tautech,

thank you for the infos about the updates.

I performed both updates and now, the wifi settings are not in the I/O menu, or anywhere I looked.

:-//

When I plug in the wifi dongle, the scope displays "wireless adapter detected"

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places for the settings?

Chris
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:43:52 pm by Ringmodulator »

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1996 on: August 24, 2021, 09:45:41 pm »
I downgraded to SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.35R2_EN and wifi is working again.

Chris

Offline DEV001

• Contributor
« Reply #1997 on: August 24, 2021, 09:59:34 pm »
I downgraded to SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.35R2_EN and wifi is working again.

Chris

I guess I will hold off updating then as I purchased this model based back in 2019 (TL-WN725N).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU/

So you are running the newer OS on the .35R2 firmware?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1998 on: August 25, 2021, 01:50:23 am »
I upgraded firmware only, not OS.  WiFi is now not working.

I just found my dongle.  If I press the NET INTERFACE button with it out, I get a 'wireless adapter not detected' message.  If I insert the dongle, I get 'wireless adapter detected', but the NET INTERFACE indicator remains on LAN.  If I press the button, it just sits there and does nothing.

Awaiting further instructions.

The data logging is basic but good.  Allows sample or measurement logging with 4 channels of one or the other, but not any combinations.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1999 on: August 25, 2021, 02:53:09 am »
For sure it seems WiFi is broken and can confirm others findings.  :(
Reported.

The OS and FW install resets most everything including loss of any previous LAN settings.
The new FTP Date/Time and Counter features do appear as valuable additions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf