Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 605554 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #550 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:19 am »
Actually I might go back and do the same one again, this time with a plot of the first stage of the pass band.
2 passive filter stages Bode plot example.
From previous:

This time we're using a total of three scope inputs, one for ref and two from the filter for the plot. As before in green for the full band pass filter and then another connection from the middle plotting just the high pass stage, now displayed in cyan.
No settings were changed although the Bode plot auto-ranging has changed the look of the plotted display.
3x BNC to croc clip leads used now, all I have. (for now)

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #551 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:31 am »
After nice bode plot examples by @Tautech

About aliasing and scope BW.

If we have 500MSa/s sampling and oscolloscope front end is nominally 200MHz or 100MHz and front ends do not have quite rare "brickwall" response we have mostly slowly decaying shape after nominal frequency limit (-3dB points). After then front end can still transfer more or less attenuated lot of higher frequency components to ADC input.
If they are included to ADC sampling they produce aliases if these components are over Nyquist frequency if we have ideal Sinc construction and infinite data. But we do not have. Depending about what level of accuracy we talk and depending Sinc function parameters etc we can say some rough thumb rule that mostly visually somehow acceptable limit is around 70 - 85% from Nyquist limit. Depending Sinc and depending also how critically we look this. But, if we need really example measure with higher accuracy risetimes we need throw away this kind of over simplified thumb rules.
No need now go dfeeper but who want, can easy find some calculation examples for find real needs related to needes risetime but also samplerate.

Back to main road.

This image is example what show that two scopes many ways same (same Sinc performance etc) and both 500MSa/s. Other front end is 100MHz and other 200MHz. It can clearly show that 100MHz BW can give some protection against aliasing. Naturally, because 100MHz model ADC (both have same ADC) see less these frequency components what go to area where aliasing start.

Both scopes get equal signal. All is equal exept front end before ADC. 
There is some possible that 100MHz model have also some differencies in signal handling after ADC but, once produced aliases can not remove by software and only what poroduce aliasing is ADC so around all what matters is what signal ADC see. (this have totally nothing to do with screen pixel "aliasing" so do not mix this alising here at all - it is only cosmetic for eye). THis test signal most important think is rise and fall time. Not so much its shape other way. These edges are these what are important for harmonics what go far over both scopes Nyquist frequency and very specially when sampolerate is 500MSa/s (SDS1202X-E both channels in use)

Images marked A,B,C and D show this effect.
This effect of course dissappear if I remove these high frequency components from signal before scope input. Example using slower rise times.

Here need note that this used signal is far over these both scopes performance. If you need accurately measure this kind of signal these both oscilloscopes are not suitable. They can not hadle well this kind of signals higher frequency components specially if sample rate is dropped to 500MSa/s. With 1GSa/s there is not so much aliasing but still signal rtise times are far over these both scopes. But with 500MHz Nyquist and even 400MHz (0.8 Nyquist) ADC do not see lot of these higher components due to front end attenuation also with 200MHz model)

If our signal do not exeed scope performance this problem (aliasing) do not exista. And here come this - is it really wise to hack BW up if it leads high or very extreme aliasing. If want better oscilloscope by own modifications, one good  place is analog front end before ADC and there making BW shape more like flat top and then very fast decaying so that  0.8 * Nyquist is highly attrenuated.
It is very different if we are talking oscilloscopes what do real repetitive aka equal time sampling for continuous signals. There we can tweak front end up without first hit aliasing problems.

There in image is last parts where oscilloscopes are in DOTS mode.
These oscilloscopes dots mode is not at all like repetitive sampling (equal time sampling) dots.
After scope and actual signal is in "aliasing position" this dots mode also is affected due to aliasing but it still looks like it draw only single line (sequential dots on the screen looks more or less like line depending dots density) but line is more or less bended (some times they may look very weird) but in some cases it do not give this warning about aliasing .. like lines display modes give due to lines "wobbling" areas. (some times you see only example corners very fat in lines draw mode (linear or sinc) but if signal itself do not have this wobbling it is always ign about aliasing what user need regognize as warning about possible aliasing.   But this dot mode do not give directly this warning. (exept if user have experience and know that there is now something wrong)
Of course wise user immediately check aliasing turning changing from dots mode to vector (lines) mode and then linear or Sinc.  Some cases linear is better for digital pulse/squarte type signals even if they are not so nice looking cosmetically. (not Sinc overshoot. Compare images marked A and C where A show lor of Sinc overhoot.)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:54:51 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #552 on: February 26, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »
Little, in fact only the mains supply cable for a standalone AWG and that'll be behind a unit anyway.
You still need to tether it by USB when in Bode plot mode for the scope to take charge of it. But that can be done behind both units as 1004X-E's have a rear USB-A just for this purpose. Standalone's have USB-B on the rear but both these scopes and SDG's come supplied each with a A-B USB cable.
So effectively if using a Siglent standalone and all rear cabling there is one less cable on the bench than with SAG1021.

Hi Tautech,

I've got the 1104 and the 1032 and was experimenting with the Bode mode.  In the manual, it states that the 1104 can connect to the AWG via LAN as well, however, I tried it (briefly) and I couldn't get it to work.  Are you saying that only the USB connection will work?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #553 on: February 26, 2018, 04:10:38 pm »
I've got the 1104 and the 1032 and was experimenting with the Bode mode.  In the manual, it states that the 1104 can connect to the AWG via LAN as well, however, I tried it (briefly) and I couldn't get it to work.  Are you saying that only the USB connection will work?

I can confirm that AWG control over LAN does not work with the current 7.6.1.20 firmware. Even worse, the AWG gets locked up and it takes quite some time until the scope finally reports that it failed to connect to the AWG.

I've already notified the responsible persons at Siglent.

EDIT: SDG device control over USB works.
EDIT 2: It turned out that it was a specific problem with my early pre-production unit of the SDS1104X-E, which was easily cured by sending just one command to the device.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:36:02 am by Performa01 »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #554 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:59 pm »

I can confirm that AWG control over LAN does not work with the current 7.6.1.20 firmware. Even worse, the AWG gets locked up and it takes quite some time until the scope finally reports that it failed to connect to the AWG.

Thanks for the quick confirmation, Performa01!  I actually did re-scan your review documents first before I posted (which are excellent by the way!)  I'm also running 7.6.1.20.  I guess it's USB connectivity for now...

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
« Reply #555 on: February 26, 2018, 05:02:02 pm »
After nice bode plot examples by @Tautech

About aliasing and scope BW.

Thanks for more valuable explanation, tests and infos than in Siglent  user manual rf-loop (Tautech, Performa01 and other contributors as well).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: February 26, 2018, 07:54:15 pm »

I can confirm that AWG control over LAN does not work with the current 7.6.1.20 firmware.

Oh dear.....all this Bode plot connectivity worked fine even in beta test units.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Siglent America

« Reply #557 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
Hi,
I've updated my SDS1104X-E with the new firmware but now I notice something strange on channel 4.
I can't see any signal with 50V/div, 5V/div, 1V/div, 200 mv/div (probe set to x10, with x1 the values are 5V, 500mV, 100mV, 20mV). To be more precise I can see the signal only for an instant after changing the V/div scale and then it disappears.
I never noticed this with the previous fimware so I think that is a firmware problem.

can someone check this? or can I try something to figure out what is going on?

Thanks

We are working on a fix for this right now and I expect to see a FW upgrade very soon.
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #558 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42:06 pm »

I can confirm that AWG control over LAN does not work with the current 7.6.1.20 firmware.

Oh dear.....all this Bode plot connectivity worked fine even in beta test units.  :-//

Ok, so I tried the USB connection from 1104->1032 and it works.  Then, for giggles, I went back and re-configured for LAN and it worked!  I then unplugged the USB cable just to make sure and it still works.  I don't know if I fat-fingered something the first time or what?  :-//

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #559 on: February 26, 2018, 11:30:36 pm »

Ok, so I tried the USB connection from 1104->1032 and it works.  Then, for giggles, I went back and re-configured for LAN and it worked!  I then unplugged the USB cable just to make sure and it still works.  I don't know if I fat-fingered something the first time or what?  :-//
I haven't checked lately but when I beta tested 1104X-E I had some little problems too until I got my head around proper LAN configuration. There were no English manuals back then and if you didn't do this sort of stuff everyday (I don't) it was a little battle so I'll check the latest manual when I have a mo to see if the connectivity instructions need any improvements.

Anyways, you're up and running now.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #560 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:24 am »
I made a similar filter as your last post, with similar results using the LAN configuration.  However, I think I might be running into the disappearing trace bug someone else mentioned that is confusing the plot when I use channel 4.  I'm still investigating, but my channel 4 trace disappears when vertical = 2V/ and 200mV/.   :wtf:

Yes,this is definitely the case.  The last pic shows the correct ch 4 trace on the bode plot when it's at 1V/.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:33:50 am by BillB »

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #561 on: February 27, 2018, 08:33:02 am »

2) I also noticed that sometimes the last saved screenshot is not saved on the USB drive. it might be a result of some caching and I am not sure how to handle properly  safe removal of USB drive since looks like 1204X-E does not provide any options for that.
There has never been provision for USB 'safe removal' in Siglent equipment. Instead a saving bar graph indicator lets you see progress of the Save. A USB stick with a read/write LED can be useful to let you see the drive is not working.

When the file is saved on the USB drive, there is a message on the 1204X-E screen saying that the file has been saved. And if in 5 minutes after the message has been shown the flash drive is removed and the file mentioned in the message is not saved on the drive then I don't see how a a read/write LED  can change it.
I wonder what kind of USB drives are supported by 1204X-E (I cannot find any info in the documentation). I have 4 different USB drivers ranging from cheap 4GB USB2.0 to expensive Samsung T1 USB 3.0 250GB and the only USB flash drive that works is the old and really slow 4GB USB 2.0. In all other cases after connecting a new USB flash drive nothing really happens (i.e. there is no message saying that the drive was connected) , but after 4-7 seconds  there is a message on the screen saying - " USB flash drive removed." - at this moment the USB flash is still connected to 1204X-E but obviously not recognized.
May be there is some file system type/ drive size / power consumption limitations that we should be aware of ?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #562 on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:31 am »

2) I also noticed that sometimes the last saved screenshot is not saved on the USB drive. it might be a result of some caching and I am not sure how to handle properly  safe removal of USB drive since looks like 1204X-E does not provide any options for that.
There has never been provision for USB 'safe removal' in Siglent equipment. Instead a saving bar graph indicator lets you see progress of the Save. A USB stick with a read/write LED can be useful to let you see the drive is not working.

When the file is saved on the USB drive, there is a message on the 1204X-E screen saying that the file has been saved. And if in 5 minutes after the message has been shown the flash drive is removed and the file mentioned in the message is not saved on the drive then I don't see how a a read/write LED  can change it.
I wonder what kind of USB drives are supported by 1204X-E (I cannot find any info in the documentation). I have 4 different USB drivers ranging from cheap 4GB USB2.0 to expensive Samsung T1 USB 3.0 250GB and the only USB flash drive that works is the old and really slow 4GB USB 2.0. In all other cases after connecting a new USB flash drive nothing really happens (i.e. there is no message saying that the drive was connected) , but after 4-7 seconds  there is a message on the screen saying - " USB flash drive removed." - at this moment the USB flash is still connected to 1204X-E but obviously not recognized.
May be there is some file system type/ drive size / power consumption limitations that we should be aware of ?
There certainly is but with a quick look through the documentation I can't find it.  >:(

But it's something like FAT 32, 8 Gb max.

rf-loop should know exactly............meanwhile I'll look some more.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: February 27, 2018, 09:46:30 am »

I have used Kingston data traveller 4Gb and Kingston DTSE9 8Gb and DTGE9 8Gb. All they have worked without any problems. Some may say they are slow. Ok they are but I can ask - is it any kind of problem. One PNG image is typically uder 20kb. It is transferred so fast that pressing image save ("Print") button is more slow. Then if save very huge .CSV. CSV building process is so slow that USB speed is not main bottle neck. (2Ch 14M acquistion saving to USB in  .CSV format takes lot of time and this time is not because USB speed imho.

Afaik USB flash stick need be in native Windows FAT32 format and some older time I remember I have read some information that it also need be in one partition. USB hard drives are not supported afaik.

Extra note: Never use any USB flash for FW update until you are absolutely sure this works with scope without any problem. Always compare downloaded and unzipped .ADS file with example CRC-32 and then after copied to USB check CRC-32 match.

https://www.siglentamerica.com/operating-tip/save-external-usb-sds-series-oscilloscopes/

Advice to Siglent:
I hope Siglent give exact full specifications about USB flash. What are accepted limits in size, speed and accepted allocation unit sizes. Why it is so difficult to tell things exactly. This is not like political debate, this is a technical thing and this  can define exactly and completely. Or is this some kind of fun game where player needs guesswork.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:04:06 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline MARCOS BR

« Reply #564 on: February 27, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
"Probes PP215".
I checked through the jpg "Probe Characteristics" that probe "PP215" has "200MHz" of "Bandwidth".
Please note that it is appropriate for the "Bandwidth" 100HMHz "SDS1104X-E" model, as it "exceeds the specifications" of this model ...
The model "SDS1204X-E" is for "200MHz" of "Bandwidth", and certainly needs a "probe" that "exceeds this specification".

Question: In the case of SDS1204X-E, should Siglent not supply with a "Probe" of at least "300MHz"?

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #565 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:28 pm »
Hello,

I am very curious about SPL1016 logic analyzer probe. Could someone, who already has it, publish an unbiased and detailed review of the device in order to help users like me to decide if it's worth getting it?

Thanks in advance!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2018, 01:34:30 am »
Hi,
I've updated my SDS1104X-E with the new firmware but now I notice something strange on channel 4.
I can't see any signal with 50V/div, 5V/div, 1V/div, 200 mv/div (probe set to x10, with x1 the values are 5V, 500mV, 100mV, 20mV). To be more precise I can see the signal only for an instant after changing the V/div scale and then it disappears.
I never noticed this with the previous fimware so I think that is a firmware problem.

Thanks
Now that the factory is back at work after Chinese new year hols and after checking they were aware of issues with v7.6.1.20, they've replied that they're trying to get a replacement firmware version out this later week.

I found a bug related to displaying long IC2 decoded packets, I am running the latest X.20 firmware.
Look at the first column in the table, we cannot see the row 9:
If they can fit it in they'll try and address this too but their immediate focus is to fix the problem in v7.6.1.20

Thanks guys.
The guys at the factory have a fix for v7.6.1.20.

New version.
Version: v7.6.1.20R1
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4071&tid=15

Changelog
1.Fixed a bug in 6.1.20 which maybe cause signal disappear after self-calibration for Channels?
2.Supported all of Siglent’s SDG instruments in Bode Plot
3.Add MSO/Logic functionality
4. Added automatic vertical scale (volts/div) in Bode Plot mode
5.Added USB WiFi support.
6.Optimized the WiFi GUI
7.Automatic Roll mode selection will be disabled if manually disabled once.
8.Renamed Runt-Trigger in German
9.Fixed a bug in the I2C triggering system of 7 bit Address& Data
10.Improved Auto Setup function with 1K compensation output
11.Improved waveform update when using sequence mode on long timebases
12.Optimize self-calibration for Channels
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #567 on: February 28, 2018, 07:27:47 am »
Hi,

Thanks
Now that the factory is back at work after Chinese new year hols and after checking they were aware of issues with v7.6.1.20, they've replied that they're trying to get a replacement firmware version out this later week.

I found a bug related to displaying long IC2 decoded packets, I am running the latest X.20 firmware.
Look at the first column in the table, we cannot see the row 9:
If they can fit it in they'll try and address this too but their immediate focus is to fix the problem in v7.6.1.20

Thanks guys.
The guys at the factory have a fix for v7.6.1.20.

New version.
Version: v7.6.1.20R1
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4071&tid=15

Changelog
1.Fixed a bug in 6.1.20 which maybe cause signal disappear after self-calibration for Channels?
2.Supported all of Siglent’s SDG instruments in Bode Plot
3.Add MSO/Logic functionality
4. Added automatic vertical scale (volts/div) in Bode Plot mode
5.Added USB WiFi support.
6.Optimized the WiFi GUI
7.Automatic Roll mode selection will be disabled if manually disabled once.
8.Renamed Runt-Trigger in German
9.Fixed a bug in the I2C triggering system of 7 bit Address& Data
10.Improved Auto Setup function with 1K compensation output
11.Improved waveform update when using sequence mode on long timebases
12.Optimize self-calibration for Channels

THANKS!
I'm going to it later today!

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #568 on: February 28, 2018, 01:29:04 pm »
That's great!  I'll also give v7.6.1.20R1 a spin tonight!  Though, from the changelog doc included with the firmware, it seems only the top two items are in .20R1 and the rest was already in .20...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:36:04 pm by BillB »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #569 on: February 28, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »
That's great!  I'll also give v7.6.1.20R1 a spin tonight!  Though, from the changelog doc included with the firmware, it seems only the top two items are in .20R1 and the rest was already in .20...

Yes.

1.Fixed a bug in 6.1.20 which maybe cause signal disappear
This was urgent fix for fatal error in 7.6.1.20
Also this fix was amazing fast if look this time when whole Siglent China have been vacation (Chinese major annual holiday "Spring festival holiday"

Whole list is there because FW7.6.1.20 is deleted and do not exist for download.

Offline MARCOS BR

« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
"Probes PP215".
I checked through the jpg "Probe Characteristics" that probe "PP215" has "200MHz" of "Bandwidth".
Please note that it is appropriate for the "Bandwidth" 100HMHz "SDS1104X-E" model, as it "exceeds the specifications" of this model ...
The model "SDS1204X-E" is for "200MHz" of "Bandwidth", and certainly needs a "probe" that "exceeds this specification".

Question: In the case of SDS1204X-E, should Siglent not supply with a "Probe" of at least "300MHz"?

The model "SDS1104X-E" may come with "STD" "4pçs PP510"; and "SDS1204X-E" and "SDS1202X-E" can come with "Probe PP215" ...
http://www.saelig.com/product/sds1204x-e.htm

But for the "200MHz Bandwidth" Oscilloscope models, it may be the Siglent "Probe" model fitting, the "Probe PP430" with "Bandwidth = 300MHz - 12pF".
However, Siglent has the "Probe" models: "PB925" (250MHz -16pF) and "SP2030A (300MHz - 12pF).

http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/DataSheet/SIGLENT%20%20Probe%20Datasheet%20V1.2.pdf

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:35 pm »
The PP510 and PP215 probes are perfectly fine for the scopes they ship with. Higher bandwidth specification does not automatically mean better performance.

The table below shows the bandwidth for -1, -3 and -6dB as well as the transition times for various probes on a 200MHz SDS1202X-E. The real important parameters are the -1dB bandwidth and the transition times. The only probe that actually performs a little bit better than the PP215 overall would be the Pico Tech TA131.

Probe Comparison 3

See the comparison here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1434665/#msg1434665
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:16:02 pm by Performa01 »

Offline MARCOS BR

« Reply #572 on: February 28, 2018, 07:58:22 pm »
The PP510 and PP215 probes are perfectly fine for the scopes they ship with. Higher bandwidth specification does not automatically mean better performance.

The table below shows the bandwidth for -1, -3 and -6dB as well as the transition times for various probes on a 200MHz SDS1202X-E. The real important parameters are the -1dB bandwidth and the transition times. The only probe that actually performs a little bit better than the PP215 overall would be the Pico Tech TA131.

Probe Comparison 3

See the comparison here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1434665/#msg1434665

Mr.  Performa01

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #573 on: February 28, 2018, 10:42:55 pm »
SDS1104X-E
No more disappearing traces with v7.6.1.20R1   :D

Bode plot seems to be working fine still with LAN connection to SDG1032X.

One thing I have been noticing, and perhaps I'm using it wrong, is that using the Update button on the scope web server doesn't seem to work.  I click the button, select the ADS file, and it tries to perform the transfer, then it reports this problem "FAIL: move file fail"

Offline sbrom

• Contributor
« Reply #574 on: March 01, 2018, 02:11:27 pm »
Anyone have an SDS1x04X-E on order, with a projected delivery date?

On Feb 11,  I ordered the 1104X-E from Saelig.  The next day they notified me of a projected late-MARCH ship date. 

FYI - there's nothing on Saelig's web site indicating the scope is out of stock.  They wait until you "buy" before telling you.   :-- ....a definite opportunity for improvement in customer service.   

Thanks,
sbrom

The following users thanked this post: the_grue

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf