Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 605530 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #725 on: May 26, 2018, 08:32:07 pm »
I fully agree too.

0x at the beginning of the string to remind it's hex, and the rest using just 2 hex-digit pairs.

By the way, I'm fitting my hobby lab with the full range of Siglent equipment (PSU, Scope, SA, Meter, FuncGen), and noticed a few bugs/issues for example on the SA32xx. Is this forum a good way to let Siglent know about those issues in the hope they will profide fixes?
Certainly, some members here have close contact with Siglent and have been/are beta testers for their products.
There are primary threads for any of their products that forum Search can find and they're the best place to ask.
The SSA's are a complex instrument for the hobbyist and many users produce results they have trouble understanding but some study of this often linked KS AN gives good guidance for SSA use:
Keysight AN-150
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5952-0292.pdf

Main SSA thread that maybe you can find the problem you see already discussed.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: kerouanton

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #726 on: May 27, 2018, 02:34:00 am »
After installing FW 25R1 and a post by Performa01 about the updated Webserver I'd better take a look at it.
Mentioned here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1555936/#msg1555936

What an improvement, it was not bad before but now it rocks.  :)
You're first greeted with a welcome homepage that lists scope model, SN#, FW series, IP and some further info.
From this webrowser tab welcome landing page select the 'Instrument control' icon to see this:
Captured from the browser Screen Save icon:

It fills ~1/2 the page and near the frequency counter there's a small tab/icon arrow to expand or retract a virtual front panel UI to the page and allow full remote control for the instrument. (see top image)
A second small icon near the lower right of the display sets only the scope display to full screen and will serve as a perfect means to get the display onto a projector or big screen for classroom or conference usage.
You can see both the tabs/icons in the first image.
ESC returns the display to the normal browser tab view. In full screen mode on this Win7 laptop there's no UI, borders or task bar....nothing but the scope display.

The scope-PC and PC-scope control/display/update latency is quite low.....blink and you've missed it and at almost real time. Monitoring link usage (WiFi) reveals normal BW usage of ~3MB/s with peaks to 5 MB/s.

Overall it looks like an excellent cheap solution for scope based demos, presentations or group usage on a big display

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:15:01 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #727 on: May 27, 2018, 03:09:13 am »
:palm: The A stands for 'Acknowledge' of the I2C bus. There will probably an 'N' or '~A' for not-acknowledge .

That's true, so what? My crystal ball is broken therefore I am not good at guessing today. But what I know for sure is this:  the previous version of the firmware did not use 'A' for 'ACK' simply because it did not. The I2C data flow decoded by the previous version of the firmware:

People who know that I2C 'ACK' is can clearly see if it is present in the last packet, I zoomed in on purpose. I don't see any 'A' or anything wrong other than missing data in the table and kind of confusingly incomplete bottom line displaying the decoded data (I think it is kind of hard to implement it right do to several reasons but doable).

Now look at this picture, the same I2C data flow is decoded by the latest firmware: the difference is big, right?

And if Siglent, all of a sudden, decided to use 'A' for 'ACK' ok, fine they have to tell us about it or there will be misunderstanding. But I would not vote for that because 'ACK' will be seen most of the time and showing nothing if 'ACK' is present (the prev. firmware) tells the user as much as the added the suffix 'A' to each byte.

Just my 0.2 cents

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #728 on: May 27, 2018, 03:31:53 am »
What happens if you zoom out? Is the bottom decoder line still misaligned and/or truncated?

Zooming does not fix the problem with the bottom decoder line.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #729 on: May 27, 2018, 08:26:10 am »
I really like this scope but there are 2 things that I find a little strange..

1- why I can see only 4 measurements?? to me it's not enough especially on a 4ch scope. I know that I see all the measurements at the same time, but I can't see 4 measure of 2 channels at the same time for example.
2- when I hit the circle button on the left for hiding the menu why also the measures disappears? can't we use the menu buttons space for more measurements when the menu is hidden?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #730 on: May 27, 2018, 09:42:30 am »

1- why I can see only 4 measurements?? to me it's not enough especially on a 4ch scope. I know that I see all the measurements at the same time, but I can't see 4 measure of 2 channels at the same time for example.
2- when I hit the circle button on the left for hiding the menu why also the measures disappears? can't we use the menu buttons space for more measurements when the menu is hidden?
In the Measure menu, select Statistics and then adjust Transparency in the Display menu for best viewing.
This way you can display many parameters without impacting on the displayed waveform/s.
The Stats list will also jump down into the Menu space at the foot of the display when menus are hidden.

Eg:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #731 on: May 27, 2018, 03:23:35 pm »

In the Measure menu, select Statistics and then adjust Transparency in the Display menu for best viewing.
This way you can display many parameters without impacting on the displayed waveform/s.
The Stats list will also jump down into the Menu space at the foot of the display when menus are hidden.

Eg:

in this way, only 5 measurements and relative statistic are showed. why not show the classic measurements in this window like? 4 rows, one for each channel and 5-6 selectable measurements per channels?

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
« Reply #732 on: May 27, 2018, 09:12:30 pm »

The SSA's are a complex instrument for the hobbyist and many users produce results they have trouble understanding but some study of this often linked KS AN gives good guidance for SSA use:
Keysight AN-150
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5952-0292.pdf

Thanks for the link, good document.

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #733 on: May 28, 2018, 12:42:36 pm »
After updating to the latest firmware and os version I can no longer connect to the remote panel/control interface.
I can connect to the instrument main web page, but when I click the Instrument Control icon a get a black page with a red error: WebSock error: [object Event]

Tested in Linux with both Firefox and Chrome (latest versions available).

Anyone experiencing the same problem?  :-//

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #734 on: May 28, 2018, 01:59:31 pm »
Just noticed the information in the main web page are wrong/missing... I guess my update didn't go as expected  :o
Is there any way to force a full system factory reset? Maybe resetting all options to default could solve the problem...

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #735 on: May 28, 2018, 09:18:13 pm »
I'm thinking in buying this scope but, in the meantime, a couple of questions:  ;)

- Has anyone upgraded from 100Mhz to 200MHz by software?
- Is there any menu where we can insert license codes?

Anyone interested can have a look at the latest version's decrypted ZIP file: on request

sds1000b.app is an .ELF that everyone can look at. Plenty of identifiable functions  ;D .

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:01:14 am by tv84 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #736 on: May 28, 2018, 09:33:38 pm »
I'm thinking in buying this scope but, in the meantime, a couple of questions:  ;)

- Is there any menu where we can insert license codes?

Yes, in the Utilities menu and then the Options sub menu, then Install menu where 16 digit hexadecimal permanent licensing code is installed for each option.
They are all already active for 30 free trial usages.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #737 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22:15 am »
Anyone interested can have a look at the latest version's decrypted ZIP file: SDS1004X_E_6.1.25R1.ZIP

"An error occurred during a connection to cld.pt. You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information: Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number. Error code: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL"

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #738 on: May 29, 2018, 09:56:08 am »
Yes, in the Utilities menu and then the Options sub menu, then Install menu where 16 digit hexadecimal permanent licensing code is installed for each option.

Please share a printscreen of that menu.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #739 on: May 29, 2018, 12:01:28 pm »
"An error occurred during a connection to cld.pt. You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information: Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number. Error code: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL"

I've just checked and I have no problem downloading the zip. Anyone else has the prob? The link is perfectly valid.

I've just downloaded it and everything is fine. Thank you!

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #740 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
Anyone interested can have a look at the latest version's decrypted ZIP file: SDS1004X_E_6.1.25R1.ZIP

I just downloaded it and scanned it with Norton. Everything A OK. Thanks. Now I just need to buy the scope :)  It is my primary choice right now, but still looking as I am in no particular rush.

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #741 on: May 29, 2018, 06:44:25 pm »
"An error occurred during a connection to cld.pt. You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email
I've just checked and I have no problem downloading the zip. Anyone else has the prob? The link is perfectly valid.

I think it is a firewall related problem.

I am pretty much sure that the bandwidth is software controlled parameters because I will not be surprised if one finds something like  "xxx_bandwidth_update_license", "xxx_app_pro_bw_if_license_match_bw", etc.

Most likely, one can also finds the references to the files
/usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/options_awg_license.txt 
/usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/options_wifi_license.txt 
/usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/options_mso_license.txt

And I will not be surprised if those files also attracts someone's attention

/usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/options_awg_times.txt
usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/options_wifi_times.txt
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/options_mso_times.txt

There are might be also some bizarre strings in the license checking code like  "XXNEr:PRODuction:MODE"  which may imply that there is some sort of  testing mode unlocking everything and used for testing during production.

Just saying. And a question just out of curiosity.  Let's say one would want to try this unpacked firmware on the real hardware, how he would do that? As far as I know the builtin update procedure accepts only ads files.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #742 on: May 29, 2018, 08:22:02 pm »
Just saying. And a question just out of curiosity.  Let's say one would want to try this unpacked firmware on the real hardware, how he would do that? As far as I know the builtin update procedure accepts only ads files.

That I'm aware of, at least, some people can repack Siglent .ADS packages. That's not an issue.

And this one is specially simple since you only have to encode a ZIP file.

But I expect that since one has telnet access to the equipment the changes could be done through telnet. At least for investigation purposes.

Just saying...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:04:04 am by tv84 »

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #743 on: May 29, 2018, 11:13:52 pm »
I have a strange feeling  that Siglent most likely will not to behave like Rigol and tolerate 'customization' of the firmware. I will not be surprised if they properly obfuscate their code as soon as an opportunity presents itself. And as a result one will not find any of those self explanatory strings in the next build of the firmware.
At the same time I do hope that they will have time and ability to fix the I2C decoder instead of being distracted by the necessity to deal with the aforementioned modifications.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #744 on: May 30, 2018, 07:26:28 am »
Just noticed the information in the main web page are wrong/missing... I guess my update didn't go as expected  :o
Is there any way to force a full system factory reset? Maybe resetting all options to default could solve the problem...

Sorry to hear you're having some troubles. Have you been able to sort it out by now?

I have no idea what's going wrong here, but if the System Status in the UTILITY menu shows the correct software version 7.1.6.1.25R1, then I would suspect that the problem is located outside the scope (LAN connection, browser).

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #745 on: May 30, 2018, 07:50:21 am »
Sorry to hear you're having some troubles. Have you been able to sort it out by now?

Thanks  ^-^   I've sent a report of the problem to the Italian seller an they promptly forwarded it to Siglent  :-+
I'll keep the forum updated for sure.

then I would suspect that the problem is located outside the scope (LAN connection, browser

Was my first thought too, but the result is the same on different browsers in linux and windows.
Also the fact that in the instrument information web page does not show serial number and software version lets me suspect that it could be
a filesystem issue.
Maybe a corrupted lighttpd configuration file or something similar. The fs used is ubifs, which is the de-facto standard for reliability and
and stability for embedded linux systems. But it has a really long dirty files commit time, so sometimes if you poweroff the system before all files
where flushed it could truncate/delete that file. I'm guessing some configuration was auto generated at first boot and was not saved
before I powered off the scope.
But those are only my personal speculations based on my experience with that type of fs.

Let's see what Siglent will say

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #746 on: May 30, 2018, 08:57:05 am »

Please share a printscreen of that menu.
For you pleasure.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tv84

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:37 am »
I've seen the same info missing but only when the IP in the scope isn't properly configured.

Try these steps.
For Windows, run cmd then command ipconfig for your PC's IP address.

Scope:
DHCP OFF
Enter the Gateway IP and Subnet Mask into the IP Set in the scope.
Choose an IP for the scope within the range of valid addresses on your network.(top/first IP box)
Eg 192.168.0.53
Save all.
Use this last IP entered as the address for/in your browser to connect to the scope.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:09:43 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #748 on: May 30, 2018, 10:29:18 am »
I've seen the same info missing but only when the IP in the scope isn't properly configured.

Tanks for the info. Didn't mention it but I already tried disabling DHCP and setting a never-used IP outside of my DHCP scope.
Same result, missing info and error message in control page.

I've also tried to update the scope again with the same OS update, although I don't know if it was really applied or skipped due to same version.

I guess I can also try to downgrade and re-upgrade the OS but I think I'll wait Siglent response.
Thankfully all other functions of the scope seem unaffected and I can live without remote control for now.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #749 on: May 30, 2018, 11:42:48 am »
I guess I can also try to downgrade and re-upgrade the OS but I think I'll wait Siglent response.
Thankfully all other functions of the scope seem unaffected and I can live without remote control for now.

Not sure whether you've got a response already. Just in case you have not:

I've asked the status of the issue (figured my direct contacts should work quicker than the distributor + tech support chain) and learned the following:

Siglent have identified the problem. The new version isn't compatible with all the previous ones. There will be a new package release soon that will fix that.

The following users thanked this post: Gabri74

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf