Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607497 times)

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #900 on: July 18, 2018, 05:13:36 pm »
Just revisiting my wifi WPA2 issue.

does anyone have their wifi adapter working with WPA2 (not WPA)
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #901 on: July 21, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »
Just revisiting my wifi WPA2 issue.

does anyone have their wifi adapter working with WPA2 (not WPA)

Yes. Just got mine working with the gold body TP Link, and I am running WPA2 Personal with PSK. My encryption type is AES/CCMP. I don't have any spaces or special characters in either my SSID or my password

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #902 on: July 22, 2018, 12:26:48 am »
Very interesting. I'll see if I can run a test with a simple password.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: modoran

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #903 on: July 22, 2018, 01:09:34 am »
Thanks and if you can then add a space into it like when you had problems earlier.
I've emailed tech support but haven't heard anything back.  :-//

Thanks for looking deeper into this.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline youthsonic

• Contributor
« Reply #904 on: July 22, 2018, 01:31:31 am »

Probably worth noting that I'm running the latest official firmware/software, PLUS the firmware that changes the root pw.
My WiFi is Ubiquiti Unifi series, too, just for more information.

I'm a lifelong IT guy, so can help in any way you need

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #905 on: July 23, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »

Probably worth noting that I'm running the latest official firmware/software, PLUS the firmware that changes the root pw.
My WiFi is Ubiquiti Unifi series, too, just for more information.

I'm a lifelong IT guy, so can help in any way you need
:) same here lastest fw / root pw, and I'm a and old IT guy ..

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #906 on: July 23, 2018, 10:37:17 pm »
Some suggestions to Siglent about messages and captions on the screen.

1. The captions on the screen should be in front of the waveforms and not transparent or almost not transparent. Currently they often become unreadable when they are crossed by waveforms.
2. I think it will be better if the cursors data moves to the upper right corner. Currently any waveform in the center of the screen makes them unreadable.
3. There is a caption which is shown when adjusting a waveform offset or vertical resolution. It will be better if the color of its text will follow the color of the waveform.
4. It looks like on the screenshot with the vertical resolution adjustment the caption must be "500mV/div" and not "500mv/".

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #907 on: July 24, 2018, 03:24:47 am »

Is it possible to modify files in the RFS to allow third party wifi dongles without having the official software key?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #908 on: July 24, 2018, 05:43:08 am »

Is it possible to modify files in the RFS to allow third party wifi dongles without having the official software key?
Bob Sava worked around this by adding an external WiFi module connected to the LAN port.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cheap-wifi-for-sds1000x-e/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #909 on: July 27, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »
On the WIFI front - I found I needed to turn DHCP on to grab an IP (which I then set in my router) and then turn it off to keep those settings - otherwise the 1104XE was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting for some reason. Rock solid once DHCP turned off and the IP saved.

Would be nice if they had supported a 5/2.4 dongle - dont like having to have a 2.4 network just for the scope... Feels so... 2010!?

The following users thanked this post: patman27

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #910 on: July 28, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »
The forum software is quite a PITA when you need to search the thread...

I have gone through almost all the pages, but it is not clear if anyone made progress towards a software unlock of some of the features. The SSA from Siglent use the same underlying Linux OS and licensing system. If time permits I can reverse engineer ELF executables and libraries involved, if someone zips them up for me.

At the moment, what is the status of hacking these to unlock options? ex. AWG, Wifi module support.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #911 on: July 28, 2018, 05:59:51 pm »

At the moment, what is the status of hacking these to unlock options? ex. AWG, Wifi module support.

Yeah, it isn't the most user friendly.  The convention has usually been a thread on the device then a separate thread for the hacks to the device.  Check here for the answers you seek:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-hack-to-200mhz-and-full-options/msg1664507/#msg1664507

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #912 on: July 28, 2018, 06:13:02 pm »

Yeah, it isn't the most user friendly.  The convention has usually been a thread on the device then a separate thread for the hacks to the device.  Check here for the answers you seek:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-hack-to-200mhz-and-full-options/msg1664507/#msg1664507

Thanks Bill, I move over there.

BTW, I own an actual SDS1204X-E... I do want to open up the options but I can't find the firmware for the 204 anywhere.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #913 on: July 28, 2018, 06:55:03 pm »
Thanks Bill, I move over there.

BTW, I own an actual SDS1204X-E... I do want to open up the options but I can't find the firmware for the 204 anywhere.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had the 1204.  You are correct, all the hacks are the same but the firmware is different.  I don't know if a hacked version of that is available.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #914 on: July 28, 2018, 07:47:08 pm »
Don't understand the confusion.

The SDS1x04X-E range has all the same FW.  (product_id 13501)

The SDS1202X-E is product_id 13000.

See my parsings in
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1335892/#msg1335892

The following users thanked this post: BillB

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #915 on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:21 pm »
Don't understand the confusion.

The SDS1x04X-E range has all the same FW.  (product_id 13501)

Doh!   :palm:  You're right, of course.  I don't know what I was thinking.  :-/O

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #916 on: July 29, 2018, 02:47:55 pm »
[Bug] [Security] SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E WiFi WPA2 PSK

There are annoying BUGS related to Wifi (WPA2/AES) passwords:

WiFi: WPA2 PSK has a max length of 63 characters but SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E truncates PSK to 20 characters. :palm: :rant:
My PSK is longer than 20 characters. I do not want to lower the security by using a PSK of max 20 characters so the WiFi option currently is a nogo. Please comply with official WiFi specs.

Also the PSK is displayed in clear text in the WiFi Settings menu. This is fine while entering the PSK but this is not fine once the settings are confirmed.
When the WiFi Settings menu is re-opened the PSK is displayed in clear text again so everyone with access to the scope can see the WiFi key which is not good. :scared:

I hope that Siglent will address these security issues in a firmware update.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:55:41 am by bluejedi »

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #917 on: July 29, 2018, 03:02:17 pm »
[Suggestion] for new SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E features

Use channel's color as accent color (where relevant):
  • When changing channel settings via the menu buttons, selected options are shown in blue accent color (independent of the selected channel).
    It would be nice if the color (yellow, pink/red, blue or green) of the currently selected channel would be used as accent color. This makes it easier to see for which channel the settings are changed (e.g. for channel 1 use yellow as menu accent color, for channel 2 use pink/red as menu accent color etc.).

• Similarly: when multiple channels are displayed in a listbox (e.g. Measure / Source selection), display each channel in its own channel color instead of displaying each channel in the same (blue) color.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:09:32 pm by bluejedi »

The following users thanked this post: 4x1md, photomankc

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #918 on: July 29, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »
[Suggestion] for new SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E features

Add 'Selected' channel for measurements:
  • For Measurements: in addition to channels CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4 add an additional channel named Current Selected.
    Selected is the currently selected channel (selected via the Channel Buttons).

This way Measured Items can be simply displayed for each channel by simply switching the currently selected channel via the channel buttons, without having to change the source and having to add items for that source each time.

• Similarly, when setting Source to Selected and selecting 'All Measure On', it should display all measured items for the 'currently selected channel' (the channel selected via the channel buttons).
    This makes it possible to quickly switch the source channel via the channel buttons, without having to change the channel via 'Source' in the menu (which is slow and does not allow to quickly switch between measurements per channel).

2018-07-31 updated: Changed Current to Selected.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:09:53 pm by bluejedi »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Hydron, 4x1md

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #919 on: July 31, 2018, 07:38:04 am »
[Suggestion]
Suggestion for new SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E feature:

For Measure: in addition to channels CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4 add an additional channel named Current.
Current is the currently selected channel (selected via the Channel Buttons).

This way Measured Items can be simply displayed for each channel by simply switching the currently selected channel via the channel buttons, without having to change the source and having to add items for that source each time.

Similarly, when setting Source to Current and selecting 'All Measure On', it should display all measured items for the 'currently selected channel' (the channel selected via the channel buttons).
This makes it possible to quickly switch the source channel via the channel buttons, without having to change the channel via 'Source' in the menu (which is slow and does not allow to quickly switch between measurements per channel).
Very good idea.  :-+
All 3 of your suggestions have been forwarded to the X-E product manager.

If Selected was used instead of Current there could be less resultant confusion.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Hydron, bluejedi

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #920 on: July 31, 2018, 07:53:05 am »
If possible would be great to have more than 4 measure element at the same time without using the all measure on feature.

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #921 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:40 am »
Very good idea.  :-+
All 3 of your suggestions have been forwarded to the X-E product manager.

If Selected was used instead of Current there could be less resultant confusion.

Thanks.  :)

I agree. Using Selected instead of Current is more to the point, more clear and will prevent possible confusion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:56:06 am by bluejedi »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #922 on: July 31, 2018, 08:28:31 am »
If possible would be great to have more than 4 measure element at the same time without using the all measure on feature.
This has been asked about before and I have given some thoughts.
Siglent has always tried to keep the main display area clean and uncluttered (All Measure excluded) so to display 4+ could go against what they have tried to maintain, a clean clear display for the most part.

So how to display more than 4 ?
I think a solution might be to enable 4+ only when the Menu is hidden so the addition measurements can be placed into the vacant Menu area.

I have not discussed this with Siglent yet so I ask for your support for Siglent to fully consider a method to display 4+ measurements.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #923 on: July 31, 2018, 08:37:27 am »
Siglent has always tried to keep the main display area clean and uncluttered (All Measure excluded) so to display 4+ could go against what they have tried to maintain, a clean clear display for the most part.

I think a solution might be to enable 4+ only when the Menu is hidden so the addition measurements can be placed into the vacant Menu area.

I have not discussed this with Siglent yet so I ask for your support for Siglent to fully consider a method to display 4+ measurements.

A possible way to implement this could be to add a kind of 'remote measurements display', similar to the current remote web interface but only (or additionally) displaying the measurements.
Using the (W)LAN interfaces (and possibly USB).
A remote measurements display could display many parameters and values without cluttering the scope display.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:40:54 am by bluejedi »

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #924 on: July 31, 2018, 08:38:34 am »

yes.. using the menu area for displaying 4+ measures would be great in particular because when the menu is hidden that space is always free

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf