Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607475 times)

Offline theoldwizard1

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2018, 06:13:56 am »
I do hope Siglent is listening and they have their engineers working OT fixing these bugs !

Glad to see someone challenging Rigol !

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:58 pm »
Hi,
I've updated my SDS1104X-E with the new firmware but now I notice something strange on channel 4.
I can't see any signal with 50V/div, 5V/div, 1V/div, 200 mv/div (probe set to x10, with x1 the values are 5V, 500mV, 100mV, 20mV). To be more precise I can see the signal only for an instant after changing the V/div scale and then it disappears.
I never noticed this with the previous fimware so I think that is a firmware problem.

can someone check this? or can I try something to figure out what is going on?

Thanks

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2018, 08:31:50 pm »
I've had the same problem on channel 1 and 4.

I downgraded the firmware to 7.6.1.12 and problem went away, but returned when I upgraded again. Though a second self calibration after the upgrade made it work correctly. I haven't tried it today to see if the problem has returned.

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2018, 10:56:30 pm »
I've had the same problem on channel 1 and 4.
I downgraded the firmware to 7.6.1.12 and problem went away, but returned when I upgraded again. Though a second self calibration after the upgrade made it work correctly. I haven't tried it today to see if the problem has returned.

It looks like there is some problem. They have perhaps changesd something related to calibration data.
I have boted this. (Ch2 in my case) but then I did selfcal after selfcal and so far the problem has not been repeated (at least not yet).

At this time whole Siglent is vacation (Chinese new year aka spring festival) so I need wait before I can contact head office in China.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:27 am »
I have updated the firmware last weekend and did an extensive regression test for all the issues I had ever reported to Siglent since the first beta release. There were no such issues but I had some initial problems too.

This is an excerpt of what I wrote to Siglent with regard to the new 7.6.1.20 firmware:

After the new firmware was decompressed and the scope restarted, it took a little while until the familiar user interface appeared and the correct firmware version was displayed on the Utility Status screen. I performed a self-calibration immediately after that, but when it was finished, nothing seemed to work as expected. The SDS1104X-E would not even stably trigger on a plane sine wave. Only after another restart, the scope worked normally again.

From this experience, it appears that the scope needs another restart after the firmware has finally been installed. If so, this should be clearly stated in the update instructions.

So maybe this is the same issue and can be cured either by performing another self-cal or a simple restart. If anyone who has not yet updated reads this and encounters issues like described in the previous postings after the update, I would be grateful if they would try just another restart and report back if that cures the problem.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #480 on: February 16, 2018, 12:49:39 am »
I have updated the firmware last weekend and did an extensive regression test for all the issues I had ever reported to Siglent since the first beta release. There were no such issues but I had some initial problems too.

This is an excerpt of what I wrote to Siglent with regard to the new 7.6.1.20 firmware:

After the new firmware was decompressed and the scope restarted, it took a little while until the familiar user interface appeared and the correct firmware version was displayed on the Utility Status screen. I performed a self-calibration immediately after that, but when it was finished, nothing seemed to work as expected. The SDS1104X-E would not even stably trigger on a plane sine wave. Only after another restart, the scope worked normally again.

From this experience, it appears that the scope needs another restart after the firmware has finally been installed. If so, this should be clearly stated in the update instructions.

So maybe this is the same issue and can be cured either by performing another self-cal or a simple restart. If anyone who has not yet updated reads this and encounters issues like described in the previous postings after the update, I would be grateful if they would try just another restart and report back if that cures the problem.
This I can confirm similar behavior in my early beta unit. I have no other units in stock currently to check and new units due in a week or so are most likely to have the new 7.6.1.20 firmware.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #481 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:02 am »
I've done another self cal and all seems to work fine until a reboot. after that i have the same problem on ch.1 and 4.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2018, 07:31:21 am »
I've done another self cal and all seems to work fine until a reboot. after that i have the same problem on ch.1 and 4.
Please perform a Factory Default (NOT user set Default) and report result.
TIA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #483 on: February 16, 2018, 07:56:26 am »
how can i do that?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #484 on: February 16, 2018, 08:19:13 am »
how can i do that?
Default button, front panel.

This Default button has two possible UI settings; Factory or User defined*.

It returns all DSO settings to the base setting you select, factory or your preferred settings.

I'm only checking that some setting in your DSO is not affecting the problem you see, and best way to do this is reset to Defaults.

* Described earlier in this thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #485 on: February 16, 2018, 10:16:05 am »
I did a Factory Default reset the first time I had the issue, and then a self calibration, the problem still existed.

(For me) It seemed the signal disappears when the relays kick-in to change some of the ranges. Going back up, or down one more range, then the signal would return.

Increasing the input signal amplitude would not restore it, neither changing any timebase or trigger settings.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2018, 12:18:14 pm »
YES..
same issue after a reset to default.
the problem disappear after a self cal but comes back after reboot.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2018, 12:41:32 pm »
YES..
same issue after a reset to default.
the problem disappear after a self cal but comes back after reboot.
Please one more check.

Reinstall 7.6.1.20 firmware, just straight over itself again.
Follow instruction with care and leave USB stick installed when asked to reboot. Then remove after reboot and do self cal. (after warm ~20 mins total)

If this fails your scope will need to go for a trip back to your supplier.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:34 pm »
i'll check later... but.. it's not only my issue. i'l check also with the previous firmware

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2018, 01:00:43 pm »
i'l check also with the previous firmware
Why ?
We want to look forward not back. I checked my SDS1104X-E for problems like yours, there are none visible with 7.6.1.20.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2018, 01:08:38 pm »
because with the previous firmware this issue was not there.

if the issue disappears with the previous firmware this could confirm that the problem is in the new firmware. Only in this forum page we are in 3 with this issue and it's strange that all 3 are defective units.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2018, 01:13:46 pm »

if the issue disappears with the previous firmware this could confirm that the problem is in the new firmware. Only in this forum page we are in 3 with this issue and it's strange that all 3 are defective units.
OK, yes.
If I had units in stock I could check but only demo until another week or two.

Shame as the new FW fixes a lot of bugs for me.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2018, 03:40:23 pm »

I have seen this 3 times with 7.6.1.20.

First time when I first update previous. Then I did many kind of other things (test images etc) with scope using many functions and suddensly I note that Ch2 disappear when 10mV or 5mV/div. First what I did I reboot. Same. Then I selfcal. Then ok. Later, same again but Ch1 and at this time I can not be sure if scope was booted because it was nearly whole day I did many things  and then just suddenly I see same issue but Ch1 and it disappear after selfcals.
Now I reboot, run selfcal, reboot, run selfcal and after then, no issue what ever I do and including many boot ups..

Until I think I do really all kind of mad things like "what ever to get it visible". Reboot with flashing buttons, encoders etc... many ways... no issue. Until then I roll back to FW .12  (and heavy try for get this issue visible with this .12 version but I can not see it) and after this then upgrade again to .20

After then with many "random play and boot etc" trying I finally get this issue again with Ch1. And I do not know what exatly tricks issue on. (only I want proof it can exists and take images)

Attached image where can see  Ch1 signal is <-50mV. Also with vert pos adj it can not move at all.
There is nothing connected inputs.

After then I did not try so much many things (it IS time consuming...  my boot counter show now over 500!)
Without knowing if this is nessessary or not, I run selfcal, boot, selfcal, boot and after then I have not any luck to pop up this issue. Not even with boot time rapid fire Math and not with many kind of use. Just working normally. But, it is proofed it is there in some situation after FW from .12 to .20 so I hope Siglent find what it is and fix it

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:42:35 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2018, 06:15:38 pm »
report:

reinstalled the .20 firmware and self cal, same problem but with different V/div settings. Downgraded to  .12, self cal and all works fine even after reboot

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #494 on: February 17, 2018, 09:03:37 pm »
Just found the problem has returned (on .20 firmware), though at lower V/Div settings than before.

Signal is fine at 200mV, then disappears at 100mV and 50mV, but with fine tuning set, it will re-appear at 102mV and 99mV. The same can be reproduced around the 50mV setting.

EDIT: Problem has gone after a self calibration.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:13:23 pm by tubularnut »

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2018, 06:18:00 am »
Hi,
Somehow I thought that 1204X-E has 2 totally independent ADCs. But if one uses 3 channels (1,2,3)  then  the channel 3 will also use 500 GSa/s and 7 Mpts max although only one channel is used.

SPI decoding works in  the latest firmware (.20) fine. It was a nice surprise that it is possible to use zoom for quick data examination of the decoded signal.

The source:

The decoded result:

Triggering on the byte 0x81:

Triggering on the byte 0x1:

UART decoding works as well. Max speed that I had tested was  921600 bauds.
The source:

The result:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:21:37 am by 17_29bis »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2018, 06:38:29 am »
Somehow I thought that 1204X-E has 2 totally independent ADCs. But if one uses 3 channels (1,2,3)  then  the channel 3 will also use 500 GSa/s and 7 Mpts max although only one channel is used.

it probably depends on how the ADC sampling clock is generated, maybe there is only one path?

It was a nice surprise that it is possible to use zoom for quick data examination of the decoded signal.
a decoder that don't allow it is a shitty decoder.

Offline 17_29bis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2018, 07:21:38 am »
Hello,

Does anybody know what "Power On Line" option means? It is located on the page 4 in the menu "Utility". Documentation says nothing about it.

Offline kvd

• Contributor
« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2018, 07:25:23 am »
Hello,

Does anybody know what "Power On Line" option means? It is located on the page 4 in the menu "Utility". Documentation says nothing about it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: February 19, 2018, 07:48:04 am »
Hi,
Somehow I thought that 1204X-E has 2 totally independent ADCs.
Oh but it does !
See #1 post in this thread.

But if one uses 3 channels (1,2,3)  then  the channel 3 will also use 500 GSa/s and 7 Mpts max although only one channel is used.
Yes, this is normal behavior in a DSO with 2 ADC's.
Only using 1+3 or 2+4 gives max sample rates. (or any one channel combination from each ADC)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:49:55 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf