Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607533 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #925 on: July 31, 2018, 08:51:31 am »
If possible would be great to have more than 4 measure element at the same time without using the all measure on feature.
This has been asked about before and I have given some thoughts.
Siglent has always tried to keep the main display area clean and uncluttered (All Measure excluded) so to display 4+ could go against what they have tried to maintain, a clean clear display for the most part.

So how to display more than 4 ?
I think a solution might be to enable 4+ only when the Menu is hidden so the addition measurements can be placed into the vacant Menu area.

I have not discussed this with Siglent yet so I ask for your support for Siglent to fully consider a method to display 4+ measurements.

yes.. using the menu area for displaying 4+ measures would be great in particular because when the menu is hidden that space is always free
No, not always as it can be taken by Decoding when the Menu is hidden.
But the engineers can have Decode override Measures when it is active.......so we can't have everything.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #926 on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:28 am »
If possible would be great to have more than 4 measure element at the same time without using the all measure on feature.
This has been asked about before and I have given some thoughts.
Siglent has always tried to keep the main display area clean and uncluttered (All Measure excluded) so to display 4+ could go against what they have tried to maintain, a clean clear display for the most part.

So how to display more than 4 ?
I think a solution might be to enable 4+ only when the Menu is hidden so the addition measurements can be placed into the vacant Menu area.

I have not discussed this with Siglent yet so I ask for your support for Siglent to fully consider a method to display 4+ measurements.

yes.. using the menu area for displaying 4+ measures would be great in particular because when the menu is hidden that space is always free
No, not always as it can be taken by Decoding when the Menu is hidden.
But the engineers can have Decode override Measures when it is active.......so we can't have everything.  :(

can we use measure and decoding together? never tried... but in this case decoding can override measures.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #927 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:55 am »
Have a fiddle with your scopes guys and tell us what suits you all best.
The engineers will look at suggestions and decide on the best way to implement it.
But the more and better info they get always helps.

Thanks.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #928 on: July 31, 2018, 11:38:59 am »
[Suggestion] for new SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E features

The readability of text overlays is poor. Here are suggestions to FIX it:

Improve the readability of overlays (e.g. 'All Measure On'):
  • Increase maximum overlay background transparency from 80% to 100%.
    The current 80% limit is limiting usability.

• Add an option for selecting a black overlay background (currently only white overlay backgrounds are used).
    A black overlay background gives better readability (see below picture).
    Note that a black overlay background will require a lower minimum transparency (around 2%) than the current 20% limit used for white.

• There are multiple options for adding support for a black overlay background:

1. Add an option to switch overlay background color between white and black.

2. Combine black background, white background and different transparency levels into a single transparency range.
        Advantage: The user can select all background color and transparency level combinations with the adjustment knob in one single action.

Adjustment range: (knob turned fully left) black background, transparency 2% <--> black/white background, transparency 100% <--> white background, transparency 20% (knob turned fully right)

3. Allow user to set an arbitrary value for the overlay background color.
        This is the most flexible option. Some colors may give very nice results while others could make things more unreadable (user's responsibility).
        For this option background transparency levels should be adjustable from at least 2% to 100%.

Information like 'All Measure On' is displayed as overlay on top of the channel signals.
The overlay text consists of light colors and is currently displayed on a white transparent background.
Transparency of the white overlay background can currently be adjusted from 20% to 80%.

When using light overlay text a black overlay background provides better readability than a white background.
With a black overlay background the underlying picture (the channel signals) becomes (a bit) darker but the overlay text and overall picture are better readable.
Below picture demonstrates this (see black background with 40% and lower transparency levels.)

The picture shows examples of black and white overlay backgrounds with different transparency levels. The four colored lines simulate the channel signals.
(For a better impression download to see in full resolution.)

Picture created with GIMP. Opacity values are as used by GIMP.

Last updated: 2019-01-08
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:52:30 am by bluejedi »

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #929 on: July 31, 2018, 11:44:13 am »
Have a fiddle with your scopes guys and tell us what suits you all best.
The engineers will look at suggestions and decide on the best way to implement it.
But the more and better info they get always helps.

Please see the following messages:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1695410/#msg1695410

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1678100/#msg1678100

One contains suggestions and one is about a bug in Bode plot.

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #930 on: July 31, 2018, 12:04:25 pm »
To me this could be one solution:
4 rows one for each channel with selectable parameters. the first row in the same position as now so can be visible also with the menu activated, the others rows visible only if there's no active menu.

i like also the bluejedi's solution

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #931 on: August 01, 2018, 05:20:23 pm »
[Suggestion]
Suggestion for new SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E feature:

For Measure: in addition to channels CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4 add an additional channel named Current Selected.
Selected is the currently selected channel (selected via the Channel Buttons).

This way Measured Items can be simply displayed for each channel by simply switching the currently selected channel via the channel buttons, without having to change the source and having to add items for that source each time.

Similarly, when setting Source to Selected and selecting 'All Measure On', it should display all measured items for the 'currently selected channel' (the channel selected via the channel buttons).
This makes it possible to quickly switch the source channel via the channel buttons, without having to change the channel via 'Source' in the menu (which is slow and does not allow to quickly switch between measurements per channel).

2018-07-31 updated: Changed Current to Selected.
I agree with tautech that this is a very good idea, have stolen (quoted) it as a suggestion in the R&S thread too. Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: bluejedi

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
How do i capture data over time
« Reply #932 on: August 02, 2018, 04:41:58 pm »
On my SDS1104X-E I want to capture 3 channels over time and plot the results.
I want to capture frequency on one channel and DC voltage on the other two.
I want to plot the results at about a 1 min resolution over a few hours.

how can I do this?

Thanks
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

nemail

« Reply #933 on: August 02, 2018, 11:05:53 pm »
Hi

I've got that weird WebSock error: [object Event] problem when trying to access the Instrument control. I have upgraded my firmware version to 7.0.6.1.25 R2.
IP address is configured statically, neither chrome nor internet exploder works...

any idea?

Thanks!

nemail

« Reply #934 on: August 02, 2018, 11:28:56 pm »
nvm, had to update the OS as well... version is now 7.1.6.1.25 R2 instead of 7.0.6.1.25 R2.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #935 on: August 02, 2018, 11:42:45 pm »
nvm, had to update the OS as well... version is now 7.1.6.1.25 R2 instead of 7.0.6.1.25 R2.
All OK now ?
The OS update is an important one and the web browser and remote command UI's have been updated.
Let us know if you're still having problems.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
Re: How do i capture data over time
« Reply #936 on: August 04, 2018, 02:16:27 am »
On my SDS1104X-E I want to capture 3 channels over time and plot the results.
I want to capture frequency on one channel and DC voltage on the other two.
I want to plot the results at about a 1 min resolution over a few hours.

how can I do this?

Thanks

well kinda answered my own question here.
best i can tell the only way to do data logging is write your own script...
which i did.  8) python and python-vxi11 logging it to a csv file!  :-+

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #937 on: August 19, 2018, 10:33:01 am »
[Suggestion] for new SDS1104X-E/SDS1204X-E features

Add Time and Date support:
  • Get time and date from a NTP server when connected to a network .
    User should be able to enter server URL and update frequency.

• Use proper datetime stamps when creating files, e.g. screen captures and setups.

• Add an option to use time and date for filename of screen captures instead of sequence number.

• Add an option to display time and date on screen (small). This is very valuable for screen captures.

These scopes appear not to have a hardware RTC but it is still possible to get the actual time and date via the network.
For future models a hardware RTC with battery backup could be added to be independent of a network.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:06:31 pm by bluejedi »

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline Rene72

« Reply #938 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:27 pm »
Hi,

I am new here ;-)

Just wondering about this new firmware:

I got myself a SDS1204X-E last week, but I can't find firmware 6.1.25R2 for this model.

Do all 4-channel models share the same firmware? I.e. can I use the firmware for model SDS1004X-E for
my SDS1204X-E, or will this brick my scope?

Regarding firmware and OS upgrading: is it important to upgrade firmware first and then OS? Or OS first
and then firmware? Or is the order of upgrading not critical?

Thanks.

Offline SaKhan

• Contributor
« Reply #939 on: August 19, 2018, 01:25:02 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum. The 2 models 1104X-E and 1204X-E share the same firmware and OS. The latest firmware can be downloaded from here: https://www.siglenteu.com/download/6110/ and the OS update from here: https://www.siglenteu.com/download/5934/. I updated first the firmware after which the system info showed 7.0.6.1.25 and then the OS, which bumped the version to 7.1.6.1.25. The instructions are also straightforward.

Offline Rene72

« Reply #940 on: August 19, 2018, 01:37:55 pm »
Thanks, Sakhan.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The 2 models 1104X-E and 1204X-E share the same firmware and OS.
 The latest firmware can be downloaded from here: https://www.siglenteu.com/download/6110/ and the OS update from here: https://www.siglenteu.com/download/5934/.

But those links refer to 1004X-E firmware and OS. Is this the same as 1104X-E and 1204X-E software?

Edit: Oh wait, there is no model 1004X-E, right?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 01:45:40 pm by Rene72 »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor

Offline Rene72

« Reply #942 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »

nemail

« Reply #943 on: August 25, 2018, 09:25:51 am »
All OK now ?
The OS update is an important one and the web browser and remote command UI's have been updated.
yeah all good now, thanks! one probe seems to be defective, though. already got an RMA confirmation from batronix.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #944 on: August 25, 2018, 09:36:17 am »
All OK now ?
yeah all good now, thanks! one probe seems to be defective, though. already got an RMA confirmation from batronix.
Great.  :)
Bad 1x, 10x switch ?
PP510 or the PP215 ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

nemail

« Reply #945 on: August 28, 2018, 06:09:24 am »
Bad 1x, 10x switch ?
PP510 or the PP215 ?

If I recall correctly, it is the PP510. Bad contact at the BNC connector. Most of the time I have to fiddle around to get a contact and then, when I touch the connector while it is connected to the scope, it sometimes loses contact and the signal is lost. Other probes work flawlessly on that channel so I suspect the probe to be defective (i.e. the BNC connector of the probe).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #946 on: August 28, 2018, 09:39:17 am »
If I recall correctly, it is the PP510. Bad contact at the BNC connector. Most of the time I have to fiddle around to get a contact and then, when I touch the connector while it is connected to the scope, it sometimes loses contact and the signal is lost. Other probes work flawlessly on that channel so I suspect the probe to be defective (i.e. the BNC connector of the probe).

Happens to me with PP215 too. Always have to move/touch the bnc connector to get a stable signal.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #947 on: August 28, 2018, 06:30:19 pm »

Happens to me with PP215 too. Always have to move/touch the bnc connector to get a stable signal.
Have you tried swapping which channel it's connected to ?
Same result ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

nemail

« Reply #948 on: August 28, 2018, 06:52:43 pm »
sure

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #949 on: August 28, 2018, 07:04:47 pm »
sure
I know,  :) I can see that in your post.
I was just checking about Gabri74's probe.

If we have poor probes supplied to Siglent then we need to know, see some pattern and confront the probe manufacturer about a possible problem.
I have pointed Siglent managers to past/other probe problems and they are monitoring the situation.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf