Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607520 times)

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1025 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:20 am »
I seem to remember better WiFi performance but in the intervening time since receiving my beta unit we've changed WiFi hardware.............but all our other devices still work OK.  :-//
While not a full match to symptoms (other devices would need to show some issues, too), and quite unlikely reason, there are some reports of certain new mobile phones causing problems with some wifi-routers, especially causing frequent disconnects with quick reconnects, even to other devices connected with that same router. Not going to go into details about that. But it gives an idea that as a means to remove some variables from the testing, perhaps temporarily relocate/turn off all other wifi devices.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1026 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:49 am »
I seem to remember better WiFi performance but in the intervening time since receiving my beta unit we've changed WiFi hardware.............but all our other devices still work OK.  :-//
While not a full match to symptoms (other devices would need to show some issues, too), and quite unlikely reason, there are some reports of certain new mobile phones causing problems with some wifi-routers, especially causing frequent disconnects with quick reconnects, even to other devices connected with that same router. Not going to go into details about that. But it gives an idea that as a means to remove some variables from the testing, perhaps temporarily relocate/turn off all other wifi devices.
Yes thanks, that path is certainly worth pursuing.
Right now I've got a rock solid stable WiFi connection with zero drop outs mostly due to assigning a correct subnet, gateway and full Save. DHCP OFF.

But still something's not right .............maybe an IP clash.  :-//
I'll crack it sooner or later ! Grrrr
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1027 on: November 15, 2018, 09:23:21 am »
And why DHCP need be on in Oscilloscope? For what?
DHCP client for obtaining an IP automatically.

I know my scope IP exactly. When I set scope IP I know it and it do not change until I change it and changing it need really heavy reason nost just because some automatic is "fun".
Routers are other things...  this is single oscilloscope standing alone and it have IP, known IP. Period. (in my case. ;) )
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #1028 on: November 15, 2018, 10:52:18 am »
I needed to set my IP address rather than use DHCP (client). I did not understand from your posts if you were using DHCP or not in the settings.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: November 15, 2018, 11:20:25 am »
If you specify an IP address that's in the range of the ones that the DHCP server issues, isn't that a source of problems?  What's the recommended best practice?

I have the ability in my (Comcast-provided) router to reserve IP addresses for specific MAC addresses so that they always get given the same IP address.  When a scope that has DHCP set as default is given an IP address, I just log on to my router and tell it to reserve the IP address that it gave to my scope.

DHCP seems the preferred way to go.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: November 15, 2018, 12:40:13 pm »
I needed to set my IP address rather than use DHCP (client). I did not understand from your posts if you were using DHCP or not in the settings.

It was told indirectly in my previous message (now underlined).

I know my scope IP exactly. When I set scope IP I know it and it do not change until I change it and changing it need really heavy reason not just because some automatic is "fun".
Routers are other things...  this is single oscilloscope standing alone and it have IP, known IP. Period. (in my case. ;) )

ETA: For clarify:
When oscilloscope DHCP is Enabled (Off) then there can not manually set IP so it push human as slave.   
If  DHCP Disabled (off) then I can manually set IP, SubnetMask and Gateway. And with this I'm master who command what is IP and what not and no one else.
(because I'm more wise than perhaps somehow clever machines  :-DD )

Perhaps next generation humans can give master to machines but as long as I live I give commands and take control over these machines what are under my control....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:43:14 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1031 on: November 15, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »
ETA: For clarify:
Perhaps next generation humans can give master to machines but as long as I live I give commands and take control over these machines what are under my control....

Then who decided to write in small font?? You or the machine?

Offline bugmenot

• !
    • Jihosoft 4K Video Downloader
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:48:07 am by bugmenot »
Jihosoft 4K Video Downloader- Download Videos from Any Site

https://www.jihosoft.com/free-video-downloader.html/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: November 18, 2018, 06:50:33 am »
If anyone's got a memory dump from their SDS1000X-E and is interested in parsing it for license keys, I've written a simple Python function to do it. It works with all dumps from my 'scope (1104X-E), but I only have one. It'd be great to hear if it works for others.

Code: [Select]
import re
import string

def getkeys(scopeid, serialno, memdumpfile):
    """
    Parse a memory dump from a Siglent 1000X-E oscilloscope and return a dict containing
    licence keys for bandwidths and options. The 'activebw' key is the one that is currently
    active in the 'scope (e.g. if the value of '100M' is the same as the value of 'activebw',
    the oscilloscope is software locked to 100 MHz bandwidth)
    """
    if len(scopeid) == 16 and set(scopeid) <= set(string.hexdigits):
        scopeid = scopeid.lower().encode('utf-8')
    else:
        raise ValueError('Scope ID must be 16 hexadecimal characters (remove dashes).')

if len(serialno) == 14 and set(serialno) <= set(string.ascii_letters + string.digits):
        serialno = serialno.upper().encode('utf-8')
    else:
        raise ValueError('Serial number must be 14 alphanumeric characters.')

f = open(memdumpfile, 'rb')
    data = f.read()
    f.close()

regex_bw = re.compile(scopeid + b'.*?'+ scopeid + b'.*?([0-9A-Z]{16}).*?([0-9A-Z]{16}).*?([0-9A-Z]{16}).*?([0-9A-Z]{16}).*?([0-9A-Z]{16})', re.DOTALL)
    regex_opt = re.compile(serialno + b'.*?' + serialno + b'.*?([0-9A-Z]{48})', re.DOTALL)

key_bw = list([n.decode('utf-8') for n in re.findall(regex_bw, data)[0]])
    key_opt = re.findall('.{16}', re.findall(regex_opt, data)[0].decode('utf-8'))

keys = {}
    key_labels = ('100M', '200M', '50M', '70M', 'activebw', 'awg', 'wifi', 'mso')
    keys.update(zip(key_labels, key_bw + key_opt))

return(keys)

The easiest way I've found to get a dump to parse is to run cat /dev/mem > /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/memdump.bin at a root prompt with a USB drive connected.
There's a thread dedicated to these things with others that have done similar:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlocking-siglent-sds1104x-e-step-by-step/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bugmenot

• !
    • Jihosoft 4K Video Downloader
« Reply #1034 on: November 18, 2018, 07:48:39 am »
There's a thread dedicated to these things with others that have done similar:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlocking-siglent-sds1104x-e-step-by-step/

Thanks, I've moved it there.
Jihosoft 4K Video Downloader- Download Videos from Any Site

https://www.jihosoft.com/free-video-downloader.html/

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: November 18, 2018, 11:35:08 am »
And why DHCP need be on in Oscilloscope? For what?
DHCP client for obtaining an IP automatically.

I know my scope IP exactly. When I set scope IP I know it and it do not change until I change it and changing it need really heavy reason nost just because some automatic is "fun".

What use is a (fixed) IP address on a single standalone oscilloscope, i.e. not connected to any network?
On my local network I prefer to use DNS names instead IP addresses and pre-allocate IP address and DNS name based on MAC address. More flexible and less maintenance intensive when making any (testing) changes to the network, only requires a single central change on DNS server (router) instead of individually on each device.
When mobile (and not bringing your own network) the oscilloscope's IP will have to be changed anyway because IP settings are different per network.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:20:24 pm by bluejedi »

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: November 18, 2018, 11:44:40 am »
A hands up please of those using the Siglent WiFi adapter TL‐WN725N.
Some reports on your experiences and range with this USB adapter please.

Regarding WiFi: Very unfortunately @Siglent still has not fixed the WiFi shared key bugs described in below linked post, while the issues should be very simple to fix.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1708814/?topicseen#msg1708814

Would it be possible to configure WiFi settings manually via SSH (on an enabled scope) and be able to successfully set a WPA2 PSK longer than the current (GUI?) limit of 20 characters (which is a bug)?

---===### SECURITY IS ESSENTIAL ###===---
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:02:03 pm by bluejedi »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1037 on: November 18, 2018, 12:21:43 pm »
It is fun but whole web is full of different but still somehow similar things and it looks more like total mess than just alone Siglent problem. Yes it is problem but where are this problems real root causes is ... just (linux?)mess.

Just Random sample quote  from some place (and bit duckducking and can easy find tons of)

I bought a TP-Link wireless nano USB adapter (TL-WN725N V2) to replace a malfunctioning PCI wireless card on my desktop computer. When I plug the USB adapter, the system recognizes all available networks, but it won't connect. It asks me for my password, start connecting... and then my password again, as if I'd put a wrong one. But I'm sure the password is ok.

The PCI card has been removed.

I use Lubuntu 16.04.02, and have a dual boot with Windows 7. In windows the adapter works fine.

Where are evidences that makes Siglent guilty to this mess.

But, so or so, of course this need attention and solution.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:25:55 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1038 on: November 19, 2018, 05:55:56 am »

Regarding WiFi: Very unfortunately @Siglent still has not fixed the WiFi shared key bugs described in below linked post, while the issues should be very simple to fix.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1708814/?topicseen#msg1708814

Would it be possible to configure WiFi settings manually via SSH (on an enabled scope) and be able to successfully set a WPA2 PSK longer than the current (GUI?) limit of 20 characters (which is a bug)?

This is a constraint of the PSK type in the TP Link software Siglent has used for WiFi support in the SDS1kX-E models.
While researching my own WiFi issues I found this in the TP Link TL‐WN725N PDF users manual:

As for Key Index, you can select ASCII or Hexadecimal format from the drop-down list.
ASCII_64 - Please enter 5 ASCII characters.
ASCII_128 - Please enter 13 ASCII characters.
Hexadecimal_64 - Please enter 10 Hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, a-f, A-F, excluded space).
Hexadecimal_128 - Please enter 26 Hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, a-f, A-F, excluded space).

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1039 on: November 19, 2018, 06:38:08 am »

This is a constraint of the PSK type in the TP Link software Siglent has used for WiFi support in the SDS1kX-E models.
While researching my own WiFi issues I found this in the TP Link TL‐WN725N PDF users manual:

As for Key Index, you can select ASCII or Hexadecimal format from the drop-down list.
Hexadecimal_64 - Please enter 10 Hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, a-f, A-F, excluded space).
Hexadecimal_128 - Please enter 26 Hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, a-f, A-F, excluded space).

But this is for WEP (old, extremely poor security, nearly like postcard)
If you’re still using WEP then you are nearly as vulnerable to wireless hacking as you would be without having any encryption because WEP is easily cracked by even the most novice hacker using freely available tools found on the Internet.

WPA2-PSK is very different

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #1040 on: November 19, 2018, 08:12:44 am »

Also, if it expects users to input hexadecimal (which indeed don't need spaces) for obsolete protocols, then the input field should still allow 26 characters/digits, not just 20. As bluejedi mentioned in that linked message, WPA2 PSK key length is 8-63 printable ASCII characters (passphrase), or 64 hex digits (PSK directly), so it should be even longer than 26.

I used to have longer than 20 character keys in my wifis. I got fed up typing them in my small mobile devices so now they are "only" 15 characters on the guest wifis. My "secure" wifi networks (for work laptop and such) 'might' still have longer keys, much longer ;)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1041 on: November 19, 2018, 08:41:11 am »
This happens to me every time, ive even tried hot spotting my phone :(
OK I think I have this WiFi stuff sorted.

1. Your IP settings must be known and correctly set and SAVED; IP, Subnet and Gateway.
2. Or, DCHP can be ON and let router provide the IP info and then SAVE it.
3. If there is still difficulty in getting a wireless connection revert to a wired LAN so a connection can be obtained so in the webrowser Welcome page LAN settings that are elsewhere not accessible can be changed for trouble free and instant connection.

In the webrowser LAN settings you can have DCHP ON or a static IP configuration that must be set in the Modify Settings page. Just be sure to double check webserver IP settings match the scope IP settings.

For some stupid reason I had a part of an IP in the Modify Settings page and it caused all sorts of problems and unreliability of WiFi.
Now it's rock solid.   :) :clap:

About the PSK, oh yes WPA2.  :-[
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: patman27

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: November 20, 2018, 09:59:01 pm »
What makes it even worse is that WiFi is a paid option on these scopes. A paid option that currently sucks in 2 areas:
(I repeat:)
  • Only 20 characters can be used for WPA2 PSK key ('passphrase') which is only 31% of the specification (63 characters)!
    This cripples security of your whole WiFi network, not just the scope (if you want to be able to use the scope on your WiFi network).
    And when mobile you are not in command of others' WiFi passphrase. You can use it but not change it, or not use WiFi at all (NoGo) if their passphrase is longer than 20 characters (which is not uncommon).
    e.g. "I'm sorry but I am unable to use this fine scope for the presentation because the scope does not work with your standards compliant WiFi network..."

• The scopes blatantly presents the WiFi passphrase (which is the WiFi network password) in clear text to ANY user.
    Come on Siglent, this is 2018 not 1999.
Above issues are a clear example of why IoT security often sucks and they should be fixed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:24:21 pm by bluejedi »

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:31 pm »

IIRC I have used the same TP-Link adapter on a Linux system and WiFi WPA2 passphrase longer than 20 characters.
It's difficult to believe that actual TP-Link hardware or software would not comply with common WiFi standards because that is essential for their core business.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:40:03 pm by bluejedi »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:12 pm »
What makes it even worse is that WiFi is a paid option on these scopes. A paid option that currently sucks in 2 areas:

Security is something that should be built-in. Not an add-on. So, free or paid the full functionality should exist. Period!

Having said that, a 20-char passphrase should be more than enough to ensure your security. When you are able to crack a 20-char password, WPA-PSK will be long dead.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1045 on: November 20, 2018, 10:45:13 pm »

IIRC I have used the same TP-Link adapter on a Linux system and WiFi WPA2 passphrase longer than 20 characters.
It's difficult to believe that actual TP-Link hardware or software would not comply with common WiFi standards because that is essential for their core business.
Hmmm, one can only suspect the WiFi dongle coding Siglent has injected into their OS has been character # limited and in an email just sent I've asked them for info on any changes they are planning to address the issue you are having. Most of us don't need/want a long PSK but let's see what Siglent will reply about this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: bluejedi

Offline bluejedi

• Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: November 20, 2018, 10:50:07 pm »
Having said that, a 20-char passphrase should be more than enough to ensure your security.

That's your opinion. A clause that many might argue and disagree with. This is why the specification defines a max length of 63 characters.
(Statements like above are the opposite of a motivation for Siglent to fix it).

The scope's WiFi security related limitations should not dictate how security settings on your standards compliant WiFi network should be set.
It should work on any standards compliant WiFi network but it currently does not, because it lacks compliance with basic WiFi standards (passphrase length).

My 2¢
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:13:14 am by bluejedi »

Offline lvz

« Reply #1047 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:54 am »

The 20 character password limit does appear to be a Siglent GUI issue. I was able to work around this issue by modifying the underlying config file, and making the file immutable:

• Telnet as root into the scope over Ethernet

• Go to the wifi config directory:

cd /usr/bin/siglent/usr/wifi

• (Optional) Backup the original wifi config file:

cp wpa.conf wpa.conf.bak

• Modify wpa.conf:

network={
            ssid="my-ssid-here"
            psk="my-long-password-here"
    }

• Make wpa.conf immutable so the file can't be overwritten:

chattr +i wpa.conf

• From the scope panel, change the net interface to WLAN, and reboot the scope

To revert the change, make wpa.conf mutable again:

chattr -i wpa.conf

I'm running firmware version 7.1.6.1.26, and this worked with both the TP-Link TL-WN725N (0bda:8179) and Logic Supply UWN200 (148f:7601) WiFi dongles.

The following users thanked this post: patman27, sdt, bluejedi, Dundarave

Offline Bakerboy

« Reply #1048 on: November 23, 2018, 09:17:48 am »
Hey Thanks, That was the issue, didnt think it would be an issue in 2018

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: November 23, 2018, 09:22:03 am »
Hey Thanks, That was the issue, didnt think it would be an issue in 2018
What was ?

Reply does not add the post you're replying to, for that you have to use the Quote button.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf