Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607552 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1100 on: December 09, 2018, 06:50:22 am »
What that code does is appear on the network as a siglent signal generator, the scope then sends it commands as it would to an actual device, the PC then converts these commands and spits it back out to the other brand device in the correct format for that device, over USB or ethernet.

The scope pretty much sends commands like "Generate a 10Hz Wave", measure for 1 acquisition period, "Generate a 12Hz Wave, measure... etc,
In the video this is the "C1:BSWV FREQ,10" line where you see the number counting up. I "think" the device then grabs the same value as "C1:PAVA? PKPK" to plot amplitude, and C1-C2:MEAD? to plot phase. 

I've been playing with the SAG1021 to better learn its limits, And at this point I am starting to think up how I might script it, but would still be nice to have commands for it
I know.  ;)
Emails sent and questions asked. Gimme a day or two.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1101 on: December 10, 2018, 11:33:12 am »
What i was after was a command that would put it in a bode plot mode with the parameters exposed so I could set the center, span, etc via scpi,
Officially; Bode plot SCPI command set: totally unsupported at this time.

Rerouter would like it, please raise hands who else.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Webserver doesn´t start
« Reply #1102 on: December 10, 2018, 04:42:29 pm »
Hi,

I bought my SDS1204X-E a few months ago .... and so far I´m absolutely happy with it.
Since I just use it when I use it there was not much wishing for remote control ... and the first tests via USB and easyscope were not that promising either.
There was the wish though to have a larger display and yesterday I discovered the Webserver-video of Jason on Youtube.
Today I rigged up a Switch (dlinkgo GO-SW-8G by D-Link) and connected my computer and the Oscilloscope to it and to the router.
I then followed the instructions in the video and could connect to the webserver.
I get the same home display and can send the *IDN? command and get back the same response as in the video.
When I the click on instrument Control the black background appears immidiately and the address http://192.168.251.1xx/Instrument/novnc/vnc_auto.php.
Right after that a red line appears below the address field and a note saying WebSock error: [object Event] .... nothing else.
Does anybody have an idea what micht be wrong and how to get the webserver going?

Thanks in advance
Calvin

..... it builds character!

Offline katagia

Re: Webserver doesn´t start
« Reply #1103 on: December 10, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »
When I the click on instrument Control the black background appears immidiately and the address http://192.168.251.1xx/Instrument/novnc/vnc_auto.php.
Right after that a red line appears below the address field and a note saying WebSock error: [object Event] .... nothing
I had the same issue when I did a firmware upgrade but missed the software upgrade.

After doing the software update everything is fine.

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #1104 on: December 10, 2018, 06:15:56 pm »
Hi,

my software revision is indeed the 7.0.6.1.26 .... so I downloaded the OS zip-file.
Now I just need to get me a 8G or 32G USB stick.

Thanks alot and I´ll report if that solved my prob.
Calvin

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Re: Webserver doesn´t start
« Reply #1105 on: December 10, 2018, 06:17:27 pm »
Right after that a red line appears below the address field and a note saying WebSock error: [object Event] .... nothing
I had the same issue when I did a firmware upgrade but missed the software upgrade.

After doing the software update everything is fine.
Correct, there were issues with the early webserver but later with the new OS update and V7.6.1.25R2 firmware, the webserver was changed to a better format and connection problems fixed.
So ensure the OS update is not overlooked.....all you need is to put the OS files in the root of a USB stick and allow the X-E to find them at boot.
Then update to the latest firmware too, version 26.
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds1000x-e-series

Hi,

my software revision is indeed the 7.0.6.1.26 .... so I downloaded the OS zip-file.
Now I just need to get me a 8G or 32G USB stick.

Thanks alot and I´ll report if that solved my prob.
Calvin
:-+
Yep, that should fix any issues.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jorgecam

« Reply #1106 on: December 11, 2018, 05:13:13 am »
Hello, I have purchased a SDS1204X-E 4CH oscilloscope and I have the following problem:

I place a 36 MHz 3 cycles burst in channel 1 and everything works ok until I enable channel 2. In that moment the trigger becomes erratic, randomly jumping between the first and the second edge of the signal.

The problem coincides with the fact that the oscilloscope changes the sampling rate from 1 Gs/s to 500 Ms/s when I enable channel 2.

The same happens when I have only channel 1 enabled (1Gs/s) but the signal has more than 72 MHz.

You can see the problem here: https://youtu.be/stSIxn6YvJU

I updated firmware from SDS1004X-E_6.1.25R2_EN to SDS1004X-E_6.1.26_EN and the problem persits.

best regards,

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1107 on: December 11, 2018, 07:40:37 am »
Hello, I have purchased a SDS1204X-E 4CH oscilloscope and I have the following problem:

I place a 36 MHz 3 cycles burst in channel 1 and everything works ok until I enable channel 2. In that moment the trigger becomes erratic, randomly jumping between the first and the second edge of the signal.

The problem coincides with the fact that the oscilloscope changes the sampling rate from 1 Gs/s to 500 Ms/s when I enable channel 2.

The same happens when I have only channel 1 enabled (1Gs/s) but the signal has more than 72 MHz.

I updated firmware from SDS1004X-E_6.1.25R2_EN to SDS1004X-E_6.1.26_EN and the problem persits.

best regards,
With difficult to trigger non-repetitive signals Trigger Holdoff can make all the difference and allow for 'rock solid' triggering.
Holdoff is default to Close (80ns) so lengthen it to just greater than the length of the burst and if needed you can extend it to a max of 1.5s.
Tell us if that works.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1108 on: December 11, 2018, 08:12:17 am »

You can see the problem here: https://youtu.be/stSIxn6YvJU

best regards,

Nice finding. It looks like bug in trigger engine programming. And finding bugs are important. Without it, they can not repair.

I have repeated this same situation and it really looks like bug.
(and it happen also with other signal and other settings)

This bug can not jump over using normal trigger settings for burst type signals like example most easy (or is it better say, traditional when there was not better) trigger holdoff or more advanced example interval trigger for burst signals or example AM mod. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:42:13 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1109 on: December 11, 2018, 12:30:39 pm »
Tautech, even if they only fix the virtual key commands I would be happy, as I could still access it.
My best guess based on where "VirtualKey" is positioned in the program, is that the command is being forwarded to the AWG device even through it should be handled by the scope.
(Still very much a beginner at assembler, much less arm assembler)

Other typo's to add to the list

C4:TRACE has a question mark for its command
Digital_Measure_Status is missing a question mark
HISTORY_LIST is missing a Question mark for its query,
DI:LOW8_SWICHT bit of a spelling Error
Channel 5 apparently exists for a coupling option  :P

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #1110 on: December 11, 2018, 05:42:50 pm »
Hi,

my webserver problem is solved.
Unzipped the OS files onto a new 32GB Verbatim USB stick, dated the scope and voila.
The scope returned Rev. 7.1.6.1.26 and connected immidiately.
Response is not as quick as in Jason's video ... app. half a second or more delay between scope and monitor ... but at least working seemingly without flaws.

Thanks again for Your help
Calvin

Offline jorgecam

« Reply #1111 on: December 11, 2018, 11:41:05 pm »

best regards,
With difficult to trigger non-repetitive signals Trigger Holdoff can make all the difference and allow for 'rock solid' triggering.
Holdoff is default to Close (80ns) so lengthen it to just greater than the length of the burst and if needed you can extend it to a max of 1.5s.
Tell us if that works.

Hi, thanks for the comment. I tried increasing the Trigger Holdoff but it didnt work.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: December 12, 2018, 05:01:25 pm »
I'm finding quite a few weirdness "features" of this scope and beginning to wish I wouldn't have bought it.

When you save a setup to an internal memory location (i.e, #1) and then recall it, the v/Div does not recall properly if you were using fine scale, and also if the Trigger level was set for -150 volts (using a 100:1 probe) the trigger level recalls as -250volts when the setup file is recalled.  That is very frustrating, but for I use it for, my control software easily compensates for that.

There are a number of programmically control commands that do not work or are not documented correctly in the programmers guide. 

I've emailed Jason Chonko yesterday and today for technical support and have not heard back yet.  Like Agilent, he is good at answering one, or two, questions maximum per email.  If there are more questions in the same email, they are over-looked.  Anyway, he is usually pretty good at response.  I can only assume, he is not in.

I don't know if it would do you any good, but please email jason.chonko@siglent.com  at Siglent.  If this is a bug, it needs forwarded to their software development team.  I often use trigger 1,2 or 3 sine-waves too, but typically not above 20MHz.  When I get a chance, I will try to duplicate your issue with my SDS1204X-E.

Dave

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1113 on: December 12, 2018, 09:51:17 pm »
Davyk what commands are not working. And for saved setups is it only those parameters?

At this point in time if you have a desired scpi command i can likely tell you how it works. I am slowly putting togrther documentation for every command I have been able to find for these scopes.

My previos posts have had every valid command. And yes some of the stuff in the documentation is not actually able to be used. But instead is present under a different name.

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #1114 on: December 13, 2018, 05:51:01 am »
Hi,

while trying out the webserver control I got an issue.
When doing history at first the monitor picture updated as its supposed to do, but when I switched to full screen it stopped.
From then on even with new starts of the webserver and the scope the picture didn´t update history frames at all.
All else -the normal scopeing via webserver- worked ok.
The scope´s own controls worked fine also .... so its just the history mode which seems to have issues.

regards
Calvin

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1115 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:03 am »
Hi,

while trying out the webserver control I got an issue.
When doing history at first the monitor picture updated as its supposed to do, but when I switched to full screen it stopped.
From then on even with new starts of the webserver and the scope the picture didn´t update history frames at all.
All else -the normal scopeing via webserver- worked ok.
The scope´s own controls worked fine also .... so its just the history mode which seems to have issues.

regards
Calvin

FW version?

Then, please can you explain exactly including every single step by step so that it can reproduce situation exactly 1:1. Yes I know, perfect documenting is boring...but...
Starting from turn on scope and every single step until problem exist. All. 
Here, for this kind of things telepathy does not work very reliably.

I just play some time with normal and history mode, zoomed and not zoomed, all controlling using scope using web and also web server on but controlling using scope front panel. I have not met any single problem at all.
PC is running "best possible windows" (win 7-64 pro) and browsers tested: firefox 64.0. and Chrome 71.0.3578.98.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #1116 on: December 13, 2018, 09:09:25 am »
Hi,

it happened at my company´s.
I´ll check first if I experience the same behaviour at home to see if its a network related problem.

regards
Calvin

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1117 on: December 14, 2018, 04:35:15 am »
So I have been having trouble connecting my scope to my wifi network.  I have correctly entered in all software keys so that the wifi option is enabled.  I have also updated to the most recent firmware version 7.1.6.1.26.  I am using the siglent official TP-Link TL-WN725N wifi adapter and the device recognizes this adapter when it is plugged in (the little green LED also blinks).  My DHCP setting is turned on.  Evidence for all of this can be seen in the image below:

When I enter in the wifi network name and password (which I have verified are both correct many times), it says "connecting" and then it will fail to connect with the message "WLAN connection failed".  Figuring that maybe it was a bad wifi adapter, I plugged it into my desktop and successfully connected to that same WIFI network without problems.  Evidence for this can be seen in the image below:

I have no idea what to do next.  I have tried resetting my router, changing the name of the wifi network, changing the wifi network password, reflashing the firmware on the scope, and a number of other things.  What should my next step be?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:36:46 am by SMB784 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: December 14, 2018, 07:37:54 am »
So I have been having trouble connecting my scope to my wifi network.  I have correctly entered in all software keys so that the wifi option is enabled.  I have also updated to the most recent firmware version 7.1.6.1.26.  I am using the siglent official TP-Link TL-WN725N wifi adapter and the device recognizes this adapter when it is plugged in (the little green LED also blinks).
That all sounds OK.

My DHCP setting is turned on.

This is where I had trouble as DHCP ON doesn't always negotiate a valid IP so I found it best to leave DHCP OFF and to enter the IP, Subnet and Gateway manually and Save them.

When I enter in the wifi network name and password (which I have verified are both correct many times), it says "connecting" and then it will fail to connect with the message "WLAN connection failed".  Figuring that maybe it was a bad wifi adapter, I plugged it into my desktop and successfully connected to that same WIFI network without problems.
Yes, initially when the IP configuration is incorrect, it appears to get a connection and then it's quickly lost.

I have no idea what to do next.  I have tried resetting my router, changing the name of the wifi network, changing the wifi network password, reflashing the firmware on the scope, and a number of other things.  What should my next step be?
Ensure your SSID and PSK are correct first.
Ensure you have all your LAN IP details correct and insert them into the scope manually, it's quite quick to do using the multipurpose control with a twist and press to enter and lock in the correct digits. It auto jumps to the next field for the next entry.
Be sure to enter them correctly and just as your DOS box 'ipconfig' (or whatever your PC OS uses) 'find IP' command returns for them.
So say your gateway is 192.168.1.1.......enter this in the Gateway field and for the scope IP set a higher #, say 192.168.1.75
Subnet is normally but not always 255.255.255.0
Save.
Did you hear me say Save !

Now settings will be all visible in LAN settings......leave them as they are and DHCP OFF.

Tips
Do initial tests close to your WiFi router....I've had some WiFi range issues and you'll drive yourself around the bend trying to figure out what the hell is going on so by working close in initially you'll remove any possible range issues from the connection hassles/equation until you get a rock solid WiFi connection.
Write your settings down.
Consider re-siting your WiFi router if range is an issue.
Further info in Reply #1043.

Let us know how you get on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1119 on: December 14, 2018, 04:15:59 pm »
I have performed all of the aforementioned tasks suggested by tautech while sitting right next to my router and still no luck.

Is it possible that the problem is that my SSID has spaces in it?

EDIT: changing SSID to have no spaces, special characters, and less than 20 characters did not fix the problem.

EDIT #2: I have finally connected via WiFi. The SSID cannot have any spaces or special characters, in my case.  The PSK also cannot have any spaces or special characters, and must be less than 20 characters long. Also the IP address must be set manually.

That is a pretty ridiculous set of demands for this device, and hamstrings it's utility in a commercial/research environment where the user does not necessarily have such tight control over the SSID or PSK that they use to connect to WIFI. This definitely needs to be addressed in an update.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:27:02 pm by SMB784 »

Online plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1120 on: December 14, 2018, 04:53:14 pm »
I have seen it mentioned a number of times that the latest software/firmware is 7.1.6.1.26.

I purchased a SDS1104X-E in November in Australia and it has the following:

software version: 8.1.6.1.26
fpga version: 2018-07-26
hardware version: 01-03

I have not done any updates. Not sure what the "8." signifies in the software version instead of "7.". Perhaps it is related to the hardware version rather than the operating system or software?

Anyway just posting this as additional information.

(EDIT: corrected software version numbers)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:46:56 am by plurn »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50:15 pm »

EDIT #2: I have finally connected via WiFi. The SSID cannot have any spaces or special characters, in my case.  The PSK also cannot have any spaces or special characters, and must be less than 20 characters long. Also the IP address must be set manually.

That is a pretty ridiculous set of demands for this device, and hamstrings it's utility in a commercial/research environment where the user does not necessarily have such tight control over the SSID or PSK that they use to connect to WIFI. This definitely needs to be addressed in an update.
:phew: Good, you got there.

Other comments;
Our WiFi router has been changed by our new provider and it's also administered by them ....so without access to it I don't know exactly how it's been configured so my offered advice has been developed so to connect without fail.

Should others have trouble please report them here so we can build a picture of problems that need addressing in future firmware.
TIA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline photomankc

• Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: December 14, 2018, 08:30:28 pm »
I have performed all of the aforementioned tasks suggested by tautech while sitting right next to my router and still no luck.

Is it possible that the problem is that my SSID has spaces in it?

EDIT: changing SSID to have no spaces, special characters, and less than 20 characters did not fix the problem.

I'd agree, for being something you have to pay for as an add-on that is a pretty repugnant set of requirements even for a home LAN.  Changing the SSID and PSK for everything else I have working would not even be an option I would entertain in my low-stress home environment.  Certainly no corporate network is going to do that.  Our security team will not entertain a wireless PSK of less than 24 characters.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: December 14, 2018, 10:48:02 pm »

software version: 8.0.6.1.26

Interesting...  ::)

Can you send me a copy of the .app file?

Online plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: December 15, 2018, 03:03:01 am »

software version: 8.0.6.1.26

Interesting...  ::)

Can you send me a copy of the .app file?

I would but - I have not put on the cracked operating system as I did not want to risk downgrading it to 7.1. I was going to wait until siglent releases another newer operating system. So I don't think I have a way to access the .app file. I am assuming I need telnet access to the device to access the .app file.

Oh and sorry - I typed the wrong numbers in my earlier post. Should have had "1" as the second digits instead of "0" like this:

I have seen it mentioned a number of times that the latest software/firmware is 7.1.6.1.26.

software version: 8.1.6.1.26

I have now corrected this in the earlier post. Sorry for any confusion there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf