Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607595 times)

Offline Foaly

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1575 on: January 18, 2020, 10:34:40 am »
Hi,

Following advice on this forum I've recently bought an SDS110X-E as my first scope and I love it, so thank you!

After playing with it for the last week, I have a "maybe-newbie" question, there is something I thought I would be able to do based on the description but it doesn't seem to work. Can you tell me if this is a limitation of the scope or if I simply didn't find the right way to do it? I'm running FW 6.1.33 which appears to be the latest version.
I am looking at the signal integrity on a digital line with short bursts of data with large spaces between them. I'm using the Sequence mode to record the data frames at high sampling rate while discarding the useless spaces. Some of these frames have poor rising and falling times and I would like to use the Search feature to automatically find the frames where the slope is longer than a defined threshold, without having to scroll through the 2000 recorded sequences manually (even though the Navigate mode is handy). Unfortunately, it looks like the scope is only searching in the current sequence, so it is useless in this precise situation.
Any ideas? I admit it's not a deal-breaker, but it's a bit frustrating because I think combining the Sequence and Search features could be really useful.

Also, I found some (very minor) bugs : when the menu is Off, most buttons automatically bring back On to display the corresponding menu, but some (Navigate and Search for example) do not. However I guess there is no point in reporting such benign bugs to Siglent.

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1576 on: January 18, 2020, 10:45:01 am »
Using SCPI commands a script could do this. If you're comfortable with programming that could give you an arsenal of advanced data processing capabilities.

The selected waves could then be plotted using something similar like this:
https://github.com/HendriXML/XMLScripts-Project-WaveCapture
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:20:28 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1577 on: January 18, 2020, 07:37:43 pm »
Hi,

Following advice on this forum I've recently bought an SDS110X-E as my first scope and I love it, so thank you!

After playing with it for the last week, I have a "maybe-newbie" question, there is something I thought I would be able to do based on the description but it doesn't seem to work. Can you tell me if this is a limitation of the scope or if I simply didn't find the right way to do it? I'm running FW 6.1.33 which appears to be the latest version.
I am looking at the signal integrity on a digital line with short bursts of data with large spaces between them. I'm using the Sequence mode to record the data frames at high sampling rate while discarding the useless spaces. Some of these frames have poor rising and falling times and I would like to use the Search feature to automatically find the frames where the slope is longer than a defined threshold, without having to scroll through the 2000 recorded sequences manually (even though the Navigate mode is handy). Unfortunately, it looks like the scope is only searching in the current sequence, so it is useless in this precise situation.
Any ideas? I admit it's not a deal-breaker, but it's a bit frustrating because I think combining the Sequence and Search features could be really useful.
I think you can do this but not for both rising and falling edges together.
See this example:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1370717/#msg1370717

Also, I found some (very minor) bugs : when the menu is Off, most buttons automatically bring back On to display the corresponding menu, but some (Navigate and Search for example) do not. However I guess there is no point in reporting such benign bugs to Siglent.
The factory is on holidays but I'll confirm and write something up to send to them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: frogg

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1578 on: January 19, 2020, 04:57:01 am »
Hi,

See this example:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1370717/#msg1370717

If I understood right he want search directly through all stored segments!   Afaik this is not possible.

Sidenote what I also remember now... you can not save all stored segments at once to USB.  Only individual segment.
Also there is STILL lacking play segments with trace stacking to screen (direct overlay or user selected waterfall, all or example user defined amount when playing back) to display.. for easy hunt differences between segments. These may rise usability lot. It collect data nicely but there is lot of lack of tools for handling acquired data... ;)  These are small, simple and cheap things. Lack of these is not catastroph...we can also buy better tools if need but... Perhaps designers do not have so much real experience and knowledge about oscilloscope as daily tool in working. Also it is nice if can use mask test to stored segments and collect to memory these segments what violate mask etc. Specially when max segments are tens of thousands it also need tools for handling and analyze these. These are tools, not salesmen checkbox features in product sales brochures.

It was years ago I give tip to Siglent. Please read as many old HP journals as possible. Not  for circuits, they are now museum, but mainly for learn product developing thinking and design culture what is now chinese developers Achilles heel due to chinese school system what nearly destroy creative independent thinking what is needed if develop something own. It is company what now need also develop intuitive creative design and "do it better" culture for design and do with own brains clever but also wisely without copycatting. How to do it if system works as "do not think, follow the boss/commander" Schools do only simplest teaching methods: follow teachers teaching and after then they think they can design something new. If someone tell you do wrong they shut door and window and ears and eyes. It is changing but looks like big boat turns too slowly.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Foaly

• Contributor
« Reply #1579 on: January 19, 2020, 10:06:16 am »
Using SCPI commands a script could do this. If you're comfortable with programming that could give you an arsenal of advanced data processing capabilities.

Thanks for the link. I've also bookmarked the project by @ewaller in #1573. I'm comfortable with programming but I've not yet studied the protocoles used to communicate with the scopes (SCPI? VISA? ...?), this is something I plan on doing later and indeed it looks like it opens a whole new world of possibilities. For instance, I need to look into whether these protocoles could be used to synchronize the scope and an external AWG (such as the SDG2042X, not the small AWG addon) and generate Bode plots, IV curves and things like that.

See this example:
Thanks for the suggestion, however as @rf-loop pointed out this doesn't use the Sequence mode. The problem I have with this is that if I don't use segments I have to set the horizontal setting to a large value to record all the data frames at the same time, but then the sampling rate is too low to record details in the slope of each bit. The Sequence feature is perfect to solve this problem, and using it in conjunction with the Search feature would be awesome.

Sidenote what I also remember now... you can not save all stored segments at once to USB.  Only individual segment.
Also there is STILL lacking play segments with trace stacking to screen (direct overlay or user selected waterfall, all or example user defined amount when playing back) to display.. for easy hunt differences between segments. These may rise usability lot. It collect data nicely but there is lot of lack of tools for handling acquired data... ;)  These are small, simple and cheap things. Lack of these is not catastroph...we can also buy better tools if need but... Perhaps designers do not have so much real experience and knowledge about oscilloscope as daily tool in working. Also it is nice if can use mask test to stored segments and collect to memory these segments what violate mask etc. Specially when max segments are tens of thousands it also need tools for handling and analyze these. These are tools, not salesmen checkbox features in product sales brochures.

Indeed, I didn't mention it but I also try to find the faulty slopes by turning Persistence to Infinite and scrolling through the segments (manually or with the animated way) but that didn't work either. I didn't try saving to USB or using masks though.
As far as I understand how the scope works (I may be wrong), adding Search and Persistence support to the Sequence mode shouldn't be very difficult to do in the firmware so it's a shame that this wasn't implemented, and as you say @rf-loop it would be very useful to track down spurious events which is what these features are advertised for (even though I completely agree that we already get a lot of value for a $500 scope).

I'm new to this game but do the scope manufacturers take feature requests and does Siglent still develop firmware updates for this model?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1580 on: January 19, 2020, 10:11:26 am »
Hi,

You could use slope trigger, to directly capture only those frames that have offending slopes...

The following users thanked this post: HendriXML

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1581 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:38 am »

Thanks for the link. I've also bookmarked the project by @ewaller in #1573. I'm comfortable with programming but I've not yet studied the protocoles used to communicate with the scopes (SCPI? VISA? ...?), this is something I plan on doing later and indeed it looks like it opens a whole new world of possibilities. For instance, I need to look into whether these protocoles could be used to synchronize the scope and an external AWG (such as the SDG2042X, not the small AWG addon) and generate Bode plots, IV curves and things like that.
I like the case you presented: "software triggering". So I'll add a script which handles a similar situation. It will not only export the data, but also screenshots of matching segments. It will then also be easy to find the segments by number on the scope. The idea behind the scripts and libraries is that the communication (SCPI) is encapsulated by object classes.

Edit - the slope trigger can already discriminate between fast and slow slopes so there's not much benefit to redo this in a script. Will try to think of a different case that is worth the effort.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:43:02 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1582 on: January 19, 2020, 08:32:16 pm »
You could use slope trigger, to directly capture only those frames that have offending slopes...
Nice feature, seems like that meets the requirement!

Offline Foaly

• Contributor
« Reply #1583 on: January 19, 2020, 09:04:36 pm »
Indeed, that's what I did at the beginning, but with Sequence and a simple Edge trigger it is useful to have the bad frames in the context of the whole transaction and to be able to scroll through them (with History) to debug the issue. In the end, it was easier to keep the Sequence mode with Edge trigger and scroll through the frames manually to find the bad ones than to use the Slope trigger and have results out of context.
Again, I know I'm nitpicking here :) It's just that I was a bit surprised to see that the Search feature didn't search into all the segments so I thought I'd ask in case I was missing something.

Thanks for the help

I like the case you presented: "software triggering". So I'll add a script which handles a similar situation. It will not only export the data, but also screenshots of matching segments. It will then also be easy to find the segments by number on the scope. The idea behind the scripts and libraries is that the communication (SCPI) is encapsulated by object classes.

Edit - the slope trigger can already discriminate between fast and slow slopes so there's not much benefit to redo this in a script. Will try to think of a different case that is worth the effort.
I think it's still an interesting idea for the reasons above. I don't know how SCPI works, would it be possible to save a snapshot of the waveform in realtime each time the scope triggers?
Thinking about it, I guess it would also be possible to write custom decoders for unsupported protocols (maybe it already exists). I will look into that in the future.

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1584 on: January 19, 2020, 09:32:49 pm »
I think it's still an interesting idea for the reasons above. I don't know how SCPI works, would it be possible to save a snapshot of the waveform in realtime each time the scope triggers?
Thinking about it, I guess it would also be possible to write custom decoders for unsupported protocols (maybe it already exists). I will look into that in the future.
It is indeed possible to repeatedly fetch the scopes waveforms.
One could even use it as an high precision multimeter  :-+.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/battery-charging-using-a-siglent-sds1104x-and-spd3303x/msg2864724/#msg2864724
But there will be gaps during "stopped acquisition, fetching data and trigger ready" when the measurements are halted for a moment. It would be nice if it could use rotating buffers or other techniques to keep the measurements continuous. But that's me nit-picking :-+ Also waiting for a trigger to be met without polling would be a nice feature.
I haven't much experience with different scopes, but I guess the more high models might be even better suited for automation. But still a lot is possible in a reliable way.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:46:46 pm by HendriXML »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1585 on: January 19, 2020, 09:57:16 pm »
But that's me nit-picking :-+ Also waiting for a trigger to be met without polling would be a nice feature.

I don't think this would ever be possible with SCPI.

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1586 on: January 19, 2020, 10:38:24 pm »
But that's me nit-picking :-+ Also waiting for a trigger to be met without polling would be a nice feature.
I don't think this would ever be possible with SCPI.
It's not entirely SCPI, but I have a SRQ callback working with my DMM. From documentation I know some scopes support this too. The Siglent SDS1104X-E's have some rudimentary functionality which points in the right direction. But I think it's legacy stuff that does not work anymore. My investigation on it ended with:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg2850962/#msg2850962
The visa api on my DMM opens an incoming tcp/ip port on the client app which is used by the DMM to send SRQ's to the client app. The scope however does not connect to such a port, which would be one of the steps to make bidirectional communication happen. (So at least 2 dead ends)
(This is not a requirement of tcp/ip which can be bidirectional on only one port, but VISA solves it with 2 ports so it seems.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:35:03 am by HendriXML »

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1587 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:04 pm »
I eventually gave it a shot in:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/automated-wave-capture-for-siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-dsos/msg2879132/#msg2879132

Below a screenshot of a segment that violates the specified rise/fall time.

The following users thanked this post: Foaly

Offline frogg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1588 on: January 21, 2020, 02:41:01 pm »
I just recently bought an SDS1104X-E (after wrangling for days about spending the extra $150 over a Rigol 1054Z or Instek 1054B) and I'm pretty pleased.

The feature that I really love the most is the native web interface. I'd wager that it's worth at least half the extra cost of the 1104X-E, if I had to put a dollar value on it.

The "Screen Save" "Waveform Save" and "Bin to CSV Tool" buttons are pretty awesome.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 02:56:06 pm by frogg »

Offline kvd

• Contributor
« Reply #1589 on: January 23, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »
Hi,

I just discovered two more errors in the otherwise _excellent_ SDS1202X-E oscilloscope. Firmware version = 1.3.26.

One has to do with REF traces created from the FFT, and the other bug is a freeze of the scope, which I cannot completely reproduce with 100% certainty yet. So let me start with the REF trace issue. I think it has not been published before. Bear with me if it has been.

The bug can be shown in one screenshot. See the first screenshot. In this screenshot you see REF A and REF B, which have been created from FFT. The labels for REF A and REF B show the time/div as used for trace 1 and 2, instead of the Hz/div for the FFT. This is wrong. REF A and REF B do show the right vertical units however (dBm). For the first screenshot it is essential that the traces for channel 1 and 2 are shown as well as the FFT traces. If trace 1 and 2 are not shown, the labels for REF A and B are not shown (which you may also call a bug).

This bug has a follow up bug in cursors. If we put trace cursors on REF A and REF B, X1, X2 and ΔX show time units, instead of a frequency unit. This can be shown in the second screenshot.

Note: the FFT traces are max-hold traces, and to create the screenshots I changed the FFT display to normal instead of max-hold to be able to show REF A and REF B better.

Greetings,
Koen
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:47:12 pm by kvd »

Offline Foaly

• Contributor
« Reply #1590 on: January 25, 2020, 09:30:22 am »
I eventually gave it a shot in:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/automated-wave-capture-for-siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-dsos/msg2879132/#msg2879132

Below a screenshot of a segment that violates the specified rise/fall time.
It looks nice, I will give it a shot!

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1591 on: January 29, 2020, 06:09:15 pm »
I have a question: is the FW version displayed on 4/5 positions in your oscilloscopes? I made an update to 6.1.33. Then I updated the operating system to version 1. But I still have 6.1.33. Is it supposed to be this way?

The second problem is with the web server. It doesn't update my screen preview. Only one image appears and there is no continuous preview. I tried different browsers but with no effect. What could be the problem?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:25:47 pm by diodak »

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1592 on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:36 pm »
Some new information. Uploading version 6.1.26 and re-uploading version 6.1.33 has fixed the problem with the webserver. The image refreshes in the browser.

When it was version 6.1.26, "System status" provided information about version -> 7.1.6.1.26. When I uploaded 6.1.33, the full information is still not displayed, only "6.1.33" as in the previous screenshot.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1593 on: February 01, 2020, 08:58:42 pm »
Let’s assume a single channel active at a 1ms/div timebase. With 14Mpts of acquisition memory, we still
maintain a 1GSa/s sample rate and the record length is 14Mpts, so it fills the entire memory. Yet when we
look at the history, we will find 3 records stored there, so there is actually a total  42Mpts of memory
available. Since this is the same for both channel groups in an SDS1104X-E, we could even claim to have
a total of 84Mpts of memory, but Siglent thankfully does not take the numbers game that far.

1.00ms - 1.00GSa/s -14.0Mpts     - 3   screens on history     ( 14Mpts    x 3 =  42Mpts)    per ADC
500us   - 1.00GSa/s -7.00Mpts    -  7   screens on history    ( 7.00Mpts x 7 =   49Mpts)    per ADC
200us   - 1.00GSa/s -2.80Mpts    - 19  screens on history    ( 2.80Mpts x 19 = 53.2Mpts) per ADC
50us    -  1.00GSa/s -700Kpts     -  80 screens on history     ( 700Kpts x 80 =  56Mpts  )  per ADC   BINGOOOO 56Mpts per ADC 
Siglent SDS1104X-E have 2 ADC X 56Mpts = 112Mpts

Where is the truth. Why is Silent silent about this?
sds1104x-e is a 56M oscilloscope per ADC

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:38:55 pm by ganevson »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1594 on: February 02, 2020, 04:26:55 am »
Let’s assume a single channel active at a 1ms/div timebase. With 14Mpts of acquisition memory, we still
maintain a 1GSa/s sample rate and the record length is 14Mpts, so it fills the entire memory. Yet when we
look at the history, we will find 3 records stored there, so there is actually a total  42Mpts of memory
available. Since this is the same for both channel groups in an SDS1104X-E, we could even claim to have
a total of 84Mpts of memory, but Siglent thankfully does not take the numbers game that far.

1.00ms - 1.00GSa/s -14.0Mpts     - 3   screens on history     ( 14Mpts    x 3 =  42Mpts)    per ADC
500us   - 1.00GSa/s -7.00Mpts    -  7   screens on history    ( 7.00Mpts x 7 =   49Mpts)    per ADC
200us   - 1.00GSa/s -2.80Mpts    - 19  screens on history    ( 2.80Mpts x 19 = 53.2Mpts) per ADC
50us    -  1.00GSa/s -700Kpts     -  80 screens on history     ( 700Kpts x 80 =  56Mpts  )  per ADC   BINGOOOO 56Mpts per ADC 

Where is the truth. Why is Siglent silent about this?
Welcome to the forum.

It's outlined in the Key features on the websites  ;)
History waveform record (History) function, the maximum recorded waveform length is 80,000 frames

You do the maths......oh that's right, you already have.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1595 on: February 02, 2020, 06:09:24 am »

50us    -  1.00GSa/s -700Kpts     -  80 screens on history     ( 700Kpts x 80 =  56Mpts  )  per ADC   BINGOOOO 56Mpts per ADC 

Where is the truth. Why is Silent silent about this?

Yes and no. ;)
Even when there is more memory for history buffer and fast segmented (sequence)
IMportant factor is one acquisition maximum memory length and it is 14M with one exception what is 17.5M and this number can not use for marketing. It can tell sequence and wfm history buffer is up to this and that but due to common peractice... max freq, max samplerate and max one acquisition memory length.
And truth is 100 and 200MHz BW depending model, 1GSa/s and 14Mpts in interleaved mode and 500MSa/s and 7M in non interleaved mode. (acquisition length is same in both cases if we thing time instead of count of samples. If think this, 14M with 1GSa/s equals to 140Mpts with 10GSa/s. This need also think and not look only Mpts without thinking further realities with time axis)

Here can find SDS1x04X-E old table about this. Note, not all combinations and also note older FW version and there perhaps is some minor marginal differences. Even when it is checked with older FW and it is bit obsolete (mainly in slow timebases) I do not yet set table status fully obsolete. Waiting some FW update more and after then correct whole table. Note that some numbers may be bit better in FW 6.1.33 where is also many major improvements.

Siglent do not "stretch all out" for marketing... given that place of honors to example Keysight et al.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:03:25 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline ArcticPhoenix0

• Contributor
  • If it looks like I know what I'm doing, just wait.
« Reply #1596 on: February 06, 2020, 02:58:34 am »
Is there a way to save this image so that I can pull it up later on the screen without the signal going into it?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1597 on: February 06, 2020, 11:48:35 am »
You can save them as reference signals

Offline kvd

• Contributor
« Reply #1598 on: February 20, 2020, 01:38:58 pm »
Hi,

I found another bug in the SDS1202X-E oscilloscope. Firmware version is 1.3.26.

The attached screenshot shows the problem. It shows the trigger point has been moved to the left (delay = -5.06ns). Tracking cursors on channel 1 and 2. The ∆X is calculated correctly (count #divisions * 1ns/div). But the reference point to which X1 and X2 are calculated is 5ns to the left of X1. This does not make sense. It should be either at X1 (so X1 = 0), or at the origin of the screen (so X1 would be -5ns then). X2 should be shifted accordingly.

Koen

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
« Reply #1599 on: February 28, 2020, 08:10:03 am »
Hi,
Is it possible to calibrate the internal time base or frequency display? my SDS 1104X-E always shows only 9.99995 MHz at an exact frequency (10MHz GPSDO)!

regards
Dieter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf