Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607558 times)

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1725 on: September 28, 2020, 10:48:05 am »
Has already someone botherd to exchange the Intensity/Adjust encoder with a detented encoder?

I've been wondering the same thing.  :popcorn:

I have done it right after purchasing bc this non-detent encoder was driving me nuts - pretty weird design decision given that they have detented ones for vertical/horizontal anyway.
In fact, I've even taken the photos to dump here, but I'm a lazy arse so that never happened.  :-[
I can't remember the P/N of the original non-detented one, but it turned out to be some sort of Chinese unobtanium. After searching a bit through what ALPS/Bourns/Omron offer, the closest I was able to find dimension-wise was Bourns PEC12R-4220F-S0024.
To my taste it has a bit too much detent force, otherwise it has been working absolutely fine for the last half year.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

UPD:
I still have the original part, it has no P/N, but LJV embossed on it.

Thank you, that was the information, I was looking for!

I have done such a mod to my 2 other scopes and the only regret was, not doing it in the fist place.

Chris

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1726 on: September 29, 2020, 03:14:39 am »
Has already someone botherd to exchange the Intensity/Adjust encoder with a detented encoder?

I've been wondering the same thing.  :popcorn:

I have done it right after purchasing bc this non-detent encoder was driving me nuts - pretty weird design decision given that they have detented ones for vertical/horizontal anyway.
In fact, I've even taken the photos to dump here, but I'm a lazy arse so that never happened.  :-[
I can't remember the P/N of the original non-detented one, but it turned out to be some sort of Chinese unobtanium. After searching a bit through what ALPS/Bourns/Omron offer, the closest I was able to find dimension-wise was Bourns PEC12R-4220F-S0024.
To my taste it has a bit too much detent force, otherwise it has been working absolutely fine for the last half year.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

UPD:
I still have the original part, it has no P/N, but LJV embossed on it.

Thank you, that was the information, I was looking for!

I have done such a mod to my 2 other scopes and the only regret was, not doing it in the fist place.

Chris

Later after I'm back in my homeland and enough time I will open one SDS1000X-E and carefully look if there is possibility to do "hard core" mechanical (and possible circuit) modification for higher class Grayhill optical encoder least for this multipurpose encoder. Yes front panel PCB need of course mod and perhaps more... Least it is fun to investigate...

There are three names for good encoders... Grayhill  and  Grayhill and then also Grayhill.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 03:24:49 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1727 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:13 am »
There are three names for good encoders... Grayhill  and  Grayhill and then also Grayhill.

Jeez, those are expensive  :-\

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1728 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:58 pm »

Jeez, those are expensive  :-\

Cheap shit in important place may kill or be astronomic amount more expensive. It depends....

But naturally High-End or "state of art" grade expensive ones are overkill in cheap scope...  ;)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1729 on: September 30, 2020, 01:44:27 pm »
If one is looking for optical encoder variants, I believe the CTS Electrocomponents 291V1022FX24ABB is the closest they come to fitting the bill.  Overall it's about 1/4 inch too tall (~7mm) but that may not matter depending on available clearance (I havent measured inside the unit).  It does have the right number of pins, as well as 24 PPR with push button and detents and operates at 5V.  If you can configure a pin adapter to get the correct pin orientation (if height turns out not to be a problem), it might be worth considering if you absolutely need an optical encoder.  I'm not too sure on the difference between incremental quadrature and 2-bit quadrature output, maybe someone can educate me (if there is indeed any difference at all).

If anyone can come up with a better detented optical encoder that will fit the bill let me know because I'm definitely interested
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:48:32 pm by SMB784 »

Offline bodzio_stawski

• Contributor
« Reply #1730 on: October 01, 2020, 07:17:59 am »
I like my unit very much. It was a very good investment in my home lab. In general it has a good hardware with software and UI/UX which can be much improved. During the lockdown in March I used it for working at home and the results I got were as good, as the results I got from much more expensive Tektronix and Keysight scopes I use at work. Still, compared to Tektronix and Keysight I have at work, it feels cheaper but you get what you pay for.
Are new firmware versions still produced for 1104x-e? It's almost 3 years of that scope being on the market. I read that some issues (for example: bode plotting) are not solved yet. But Performa01 did a lot of work to help to improve that model (and what Siglent did with that work?). Or maybe hardware issues exists too and that is a problem (maybe Siglent tried to repair hardware faults by firmware updates and they only masked some problems).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1731 on: October 01, 2020, 08:00:35 am »
I like my unit very much. It was a very good investment in my home lab. In general it has a good hardware with software and UI/UX which can be much improved. During the lockdown in March I used it for working at home and the results I got were as good, as the results I got from much more expensive Tektronix and Keysight scopes I use at work. Still, compared to Tektronix and Keysight I have at work, it feels cheaper but you get what you pay for.
Are new firmware versions still produced for 1104x-e? It's almost 3 years of that scope being on the market. I read that some issues (for example: bode plotting) are not solved yet. But Performa01 did a lot of work to help to improve that model (and what Siglent did with that work?). Or maybe hardware issues exists too and that is a problem (maybe Siglent tried to repair hardware faults by firmware updates and they only masked some problems).
Welcome to the forum.

Last FW version was back in March.
You can read the Release notes here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=12

There are some frequency step issues with Bode plot that mainly originate from very wide sweeps where relays switch between ranges. This should be self explanatory to the experienced user.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bodzio_stawski

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1732 on: October 01, 2020, 07:23:05 pm »
Today, we want to save a signal as matlab file to usbstick.
To be more precisely, the FFT.
Unfortunately, it saves only the channel, not the mathfunction from it - Did we miss something to do ?
Or couldn´t do the sds1104X-E it in general ?

Any ideas ?

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1733 on: October 01, 2020, 07:25:34 pm »
Hello, Sir :)

I've noticed that you are a happy user of a 1104x-e oscilloscope from Siglent :) Could you tell me, how your work looks with it? Is there something you love about it or something you hate in that scope? I am asking because I am very interested in it personally. Nevertheless, despite the not-so-large selection of oscilloscopes in a similar class (Rigol, GWInstek etc.), I still have some doubts. Mainly due to the first Performa01 user tests, when he found a lot of bugs (also hardware errors). It would be nice to hear your own thoughts from you.

Regards!

bodzio_stawski

Since bodzio_stawski is a new member and cant yet receive personal messages, I will respond to his above question in this thread:

I have been very happy with my siglent scope.  I think you will need to evaluate the general performance specs of various models for your personal desired applications in order to make an informed decision.  There are indeed bugs in the scope, as there are in any scope on the market (Rigol also suffers from various firmware and hardware bugs/issues).  You will have to evaluate how those bugs will affect your use of the scope with regard to your desired application.  For example, if you are doing a lot of bode plotting, the issues specific to this scope may make it more difficult to do that.  However, as far as I know there aren't any other scopes on the market in this price range that can do bode plotting, so you'll have to weigh that against issues that may be fixed eventually.

My only gripe about the siglent scope is that the wifi interface requires you to use a wifi SSID and password that have no spaces or special characters.  Obviously this limits the wifi networks you can connect to, which is an extremely frustrating thing for me as most of my bench runs wirelessly on automated software.  However for most other issues, this is not a problem.  I am hopeful that this will also be addressed in a firmware update soon.

All told, with the ability to ugprade the scope to 200MHz and all options for no extra charge, its about the best deal on the market in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:29:21 pm by SMB784 »

Offline nez

• Contributor
« Reply #1734 on: October 01, 2020, 11:30:54 pm »
Hello, Sir :)

I've noticed that you are a happy user of a 1104x-e oscilloscope from Siglent :) Could you tell me, how your work looks with it? Is there something you love about it or something you hate in that scope? I am asking because I am very interested in it personally. Nevertheless, despite the not-so-large selection of oscilloscopes in a similar class (Rigol, GWInstek etc.), I still have some doubts. Mainly due to the first Performa01 user tests, when he found a lot of bugs (also hardware errors). It would be nice to hear your own thoughts from you.

Regards!

bodzio_stawski

Since bodzio_stawski is a new member and cant yet receive personal messages, I will respond to his above question in this thread:

I wanted to add that Bode plots on this scope seem to work very well in their own regard.  In general, I like BodePlot II a lot and the scope is still a great value.

The problems I was encountering were not really related to BodePlot II -- the plots were just  a way to help view them (separate post still in progress but nearly done, sorry I'm slow!).

For reference, I'll attach a couple of plots showing a nice (expected) response across the frequency range.
For the best signal match I could make, I used a pair of new Amphenol cables and a Pomona T-adapter coming out of one AWG output, going into 50 Ohm terminators at the scope.  The terminators were both bought used off ebay and I found that one of them was a bit out of spec on its resistance, so the plots reflect this difference I believe.

Plot amplitudes are Vout/Vin ratios.  One plot is linear and one is log scale.

The results seem solidly repeatable as well, so as long as you're sticking with CH1+2 or 3+4, making initial plots as correction factors is straight-forward.

Offline bodzio_stawski

• Contributor
« Reply #1735 on: October 02, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
Thank you for the reply :)

There are indeed bugs in the scope, as there are in any scope on the market (Rigol also suffers from various firmware and hardware bugs/issues).

Yes, It's true that some bugs will be existing. The truth is there will always be mistakes. At one point I had doubts that it was not the siglent's intention to pack a lot of functionalities into the device (regardless of whether they would work properly), unlike other manufacturers like Rigol, who tried to do little but exactly. From Bode's graphing function, I expected it to be simply less advanced than in devices intended for such work by default (and it is natural). However, it would be nice to see something innovative, even simple - but working properly :) Unfortunately, such verification and comparison of functionalities is not enough if it is done only on the basis of specifications available on the web. Therefore, I am glad that there are people who test such equipment and share the results on the forum :)

All told, with the ability to ugprade the scope to 200MHz and all options for no extra charge, its about the best deal on the market in my opinion.

What does it mean?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:38:16 am by bodzio_stawski »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus

Offline bodzio_stawski

• Contributor
« Reply #1737 on: October 02, 2020, 04:48:08 pm »
What does it mean?

Check out this post

Ok:) Looks good, but all in all, keeping 3-years warranty period is more important for me and at the moment I want to consider the 1104x-e as a scope without any optional/payable features and then check if it is still worth of money.

Unless a hacking of that scope to 200 MHz also improves quality of the other features that doesn't work correctly with previous version. Moreover, in the past I was afraid that all malfunctions or bugs will dissappear one day and then the manufacturer will say that there is no reason to keep this scope hacking-friendly ("so buy the additional functions or stary with an unfinished device") :) Now I see my thinking was bad, but I still think that in 2017 the manufacturer started selling an unfinished device.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:07:43 pm by bodzio_stawski »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #1738 on: October 02, 2020, 07:27:13 pm »
What does it mean?

Check out this post

Ok:) Looks good, but all in all, keeping 3-years warranty period is more important for me and at the moment I want to consider the 1104x-e as a scope without any optional/payable features and then check if it is still worth of money.

Unless a hacking of that scope to 200 MHz also improves quality of the other features that doesn't work correctly with previous version. Moreover, in the past I was afraid that all malfunctions or bugs will dissappear one day and then the manufacturer will say that there is no reason to keep this scope hacking-friendly ("so buy the additional functions or stary with an unfinished device") :) Now I see my thinking was bad, but I still think that in 2017 the manufacturer started selling an unfinished device.

Read through the thread a little more.  There is a method that involves extracting the license keys so that instead of hacking the scope you are just entering the license keys for the various options.  This should not void the warranty, in theory.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1739 on: October 02, 2020, 08:09:27 pm »
Although this scope isn't bad, I have a couple of comments about the optional LA and AFG.

If you're thinking of adding the LA to make it an MSO, I find the LA on this scope to be very weak indeed. For an MSO at this level, I consider the older Rigol DS1000Z+ with LA probes to be a significantly better solution. On the 1104X-E, the UI performance grinds to a halt with the LA attached and it's a substantial extra package to carry about that can't help but take up bench space.

Similarly, the external AFG on the Siglent also is nowhere near as neat as the Rigol's internal dual channel unit, but you have to buy the Rigol's at the time of scope purchase.

So if you're only looking for a 4 channel scope only, the Siglent is definitely a better than the Rigol DS1000Z series. Just that I find the LA and AFG on the Siglent are rather disappointing.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, bodzio_stawski

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1740 on: October 02, 2020, 08:52:37 pm »
@bodzio_stawski:

Couldn´t send you an answer to your PM - Your inbox is full..... :o

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1741 on: November 23, 2020, 06:49:05 am »
From the 'that's interesting files":

As I do  ::) every new scope is powered up, 1x/10x switch checked, probes compensated, coloured rings applied and FW checked....but the first from a new box/lot of 4 scopes the 10x probe compensation was almost bang on for every probe !  :o
One was left unadjusted as it was already perfect and the other 3 needed the smallest of tweaks.

Ch4 below was typical of 'straight outta the packet'.

Lets see if the other 3 scopes in this box and probes are as good.  :popcorn:
SN# SDSMMEBQ4R5***

And the next SDS1104X-E probes were almost perfect too !
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:38:45 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ballen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1742 on: November 29, 2020, 07:23:04 pm »
I am thinking about returning a recently-purchased Rigol DS1054Z and replacing it with a Siglent SDS1104X-E.  I'm trying to understand if the Siglent has any problems that will cause issues for me, so have been reading about it.  One thing I came across concerned the use of the memory buffer. On the  Rigol, at any horizontal sweep speed, I can specify to use a 24Msample buffer, put the scope into single trigger mode, and wait for the trigger event to happen.  When it does, the buffer will be full, with half the data coming from before the trigger event and half after.  I can then easily move around and look at the data on both sides of the event.  I find this very useful.

Is this also possible with the Siglent?  I have seen at least one person complaining that the equivalent to this was not possible, or at least not straightforward.  Is that right?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: November 29, 2020, 07:36:18 pm »
Is this also possible with the Siglent?  I have seen at least one person complaining that the equivalent to this was not possible, or at least not straightforward.  Is that right?

You won't be able to zoom out if the screen was zoomed in when you hit "stop".

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-siglent-sds1104x-e-zoom-problem/

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:38:36 pm by Fungus »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1744 on: November 29, 2020, 08:24:18 pm »
I am thinking about returning a recently-purchased Rigol DS1054Z and replacing it with a Siglent SDS1104X-E.  I'm trying to understand if the Siglent has any problems that will cause issues for me, so have been reading about it.  One thing I came across concerned the use of the memory buffer. On the  Rigol, at any horizontal sweep speed, I can specify to use a 24Msample buffer, put the scope into single trigger mode, and wait for the trigger event to happen.  When it does, the buffer will be full, with half the data coming from before the trigger event and half after.  I can then easily move around and look at the data on both sides of the event.  I find this very useful.

Capture memory management strategy is mirrored to the same strategies used by LeCroy and Pico.
The Single or Stop capture memory depth is just what is on the display and detailed inspection of it is limited to zooming in and panning around within the original capture therefore zooming in on a 1ms/div capture at 1us/div offers a large record to inspect.

To take best advantage of this capture strategy for greater detail (more datapoints) slower timebases are used where memory depth is greatest then perform the capture and then zoom in.
If requiring a longer record a further strategy is used namely Zoom mode for a split screen display where the primary display contains the full capture record of ALL the memory the scope can provide and the timebase control becomes a dual timebase where with a press we can toggle between the primary capture (un zoomed) and inspect the full capture in the zoomed window.
Because Siglent DSO's display the sampling rate and memory depth available in all timebase settings the user can make informed decisions of the capture strategy that suits them best before the capture is taken.

If some error is made in a capture setting History mode can assist as it is always running in the background and frames are available for inspection at any time.

In some 8 years handling Siglent scopes these memory management strategies remain unchanged as they work as intended and give full control to the user who is the master of the scope....not mastered by the scope.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1745 on: November 29, 2020, 08:52:13 pm »
Is this also possible with the Siglent?
Capture memory management strategy is mirrored to the same strategies used by LeCroy and Pico.

... snip mumbo jumbo

Can't you just say "no"?

Offline ballen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1746 on: November 29, 2020, 11:03:58 pm »
The Single or Stop capture memory depth is just what is on the display and detailed inspection of it is limited to zooming in and panning around within the original capture therefore zooming in on a 1ms/div capture at 1us/div offers a large record to inspect.

OK. So the idea is, if I want to capture a long sequence around a particular trigger, then slow down the horizontal sweep until the full memory that I want to retain is on screen.  For example if I am just looking at one channel and want to use the full 14 Msamples, then at 1 Gsample/second I need to capture 14 msec.  So slow down the sweep to 1msec/division, then do single shot.

After I have that, I can then scroll along to any point in that 14 msec of data, and use the horizontal control to zoom in as much as needed.

Is that right?  So the only difference with the Rigol is that I need to deliberately slow the sweep in advance rather than expecting a long data stretch to "just be there".  That's not unreasonable.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1747 on: November 29, 2020, 11:31:17 pm »

OK. So the idea is, if I want to capture a long sequence around a particular trigger, then slow down the horizontal sweep until the full memory that I want to retain is on screen.  For example if I am just looking at one channel and want to use the full 14 Msamples, then at 1 Gsample/second I need to capture 14 msec.  So slow down the sweep to 1msec/division, then do single shot.

After I have that, I can then scroll along to any point in that 14 msec of data, and use the horizontal control to zoom in as much as needed.

Is that right?  So the only difference with the Rigol is that I need to deliberately slow the sweep in advance rather than expecting a long data stretch to "just be there".  That's not unreasonable.
Yes exactly this ^ although I should add that when using 2 channels due to there's 2 ADC's in 4ch X-E's you can place the 2nd channel on the other ADC which also offers 14 Mpts of memory support therefore not halving the memory depth or sampling rate like scopes that have a single ADC.

Also don't overlook the convenience of Zoom mode where there's always the full picture of what's going on and the settings in play although due to just the 7" display sadly Zoom mode splits the vertical 50/50 whereas some scopes offer a 70/30 split where there is less clutter when you have a lot going on such as 3ch decodes and decode tables etc.

Edit
However to reduce display clutter you can Hide traces and have them still influence the way the scope works such as hiding a Clk or CS.

Edit
From early in this thread before all info was added to channel tabs, this image shows Zoom mode using channels on each ADC where the full 14 Mpts is available at slow timebase settings.
Zoomed window is so magnified the marker stripe of the zoomed timebase is nearly invisible below the H Pos arrow at the top of the display.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:38:41 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1748 on: December 03, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
I'd like to read the complete state of the scope using SCPI commands to be able to reload it later on. With most parameters this can be done, but I seem to have found 2 exceptions:
* The visibility of the trace (wether its enabled, but hidden)
* The "Enhanced by bits" parameter of the aquisition.

Maybe I'm missing something? I know a binairy version of the state can be retrieved with a single command, but because that format is not documented, I wouldn't want to take that road. Also when only different parameters values (determined by reading the current state) are set using dedicated commands this is much faster (depending on the number of differences). The saved state should also be editable, thus no simple binairy reading and the writing the same stuff.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 03:26:53 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline ballen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1749 on: December 03, 2020, 04:44:37 pm »
 I just got a Siglent SDS1104X-E today.  I'm already happier with this than with the Rigol 1054Z that it replaced.  The traces behave as I expect when I zoom, the individual ADC values behave as I would expect, and the input noise is significantly lower.  It took about 5 minutes to generate and enter the SDS1204X-E upgrade key, so that was also good.

One question: when I open the web interface from my computer, I see the display very nicely.  But according to the documentation, I should also have access to controls from my computer brower.  But they're missing!  Is it possible to control the scope from a networked computer, and if so, where are the controls?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf