Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 607868 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2025 on: September 03, 2021, 10:16:37 pm »
I updated the OS and the firmware and I'm not sure if the OS update worked correctly. I inserted a USB flash with all the files in the root directory and restarted the oscilloscope, but it looked like nothing happened during the restart.

I attached the versions after the updates. Do these version indicate a successful update?
No.
See blurpy's reply:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg3648412/#msg3648412
I tried to downgrade the OS version to the previous one and it showed 7.1. Then I installed the new OS again and it shows 7.2 again.
Ah OK then it might be fine.  :-+
Will check my now years old beta SDS1104X-E SN#14 for its OS version...... it's one of the earliest HW versions.
Providing you now have a P3 for the probe menu, a Time/Date and logging and Counter in Utility the full update was successful.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #2026 on: September 03, 2021, 10:44:27 pm »
I see the new options and Wi-Fi stopped working. Just version 7.2 instead of 8.2 looks strange.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2027 on: September 03, 2021, 11:01:09 pm »
I see the new options and Wi-Fi stopped working. Just version 7.2 instead of 8.2 looks strange.
Yes 37R2 breaks WiFi however a public fix is to be released soon and with the 37R3 we got last evening WiFi is working again.  :phew:

It seems older HW models report 7.2 with the latest OS update yet newer production units ex our stock update to 8.2.
This ^ has just been checked.

My old unit reports OS = 7.2 yet all the new features work just fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #2028 on: September 04, 2021, 05:29:10 am »
Hi,

7.2 Me2

Calvin
..... it builds character!

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2029 on: September 04, 2021, 07:47:53 am »
Time ago I have told where is OS version.
It is second number 
In old time it was displayed just before FW number
Today it is named as  Uboot-OS version:
And there is two number where last one is OS version.

As in image attached.
Where is Uboot version. Where is OS version.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #2030 on: September 06, 2021, 03:34:41 am »
Is there any way to save the data from an FFT?   

It would be useful to me to be able to save the FFT after it is smoothed by many averages.  I would like to be able to compare the FFT plots from various configurations of my circuit.

I can save the plots, and assuming I did not touch any for the positioning and/or scaling controls I can compare those, however it would be nice to actually have the frequency/magnitude data in a CSV file.

Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2031 on: September 07, 2021, 08:34:47 am »
Is there any way to save the data from an FFT?   

It would be useful to me to be able to save the FFT after it is smoothed by many averages.  I would like to be able to compare the FFT plots from various configurations of my circuit.

I can save the plots, and assuming I did not touch any for the positioning and/or scaling controls I can compare those, however it would be nice to actually have the frequency/magnitude data in a CSV file.

Chris
Email sent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2032 on: September 15, 2021, 09:34:47 am »
New firmware and optional OS update for SDS1104 and 1204X-E models.

Version V6.1.37R2
8.7 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.37R2_EN.zip

Release notes
Added data logger featuring Sample  and Measurement Logger functions
New App note for the logging functions:
https://siglentna.com/application-note/datalogging-with-the-four-channel-sds1000x-e-oscilloscope-models/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2033 on: September 15, 2021, 04:37:16 pm »
I just got an e-mail advertisement or newsletter from Siglent and one of the 'articles' is a blurb about all the features in the new 37R2 firmware.  Are they not aware that it is broken?  They're actively encouraging people to download defective firmware without mentioning that it kills your WiFi.   :-//
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: MikeLud

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2034 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:54 pm »
I just got an e-mail advertisement or newsletter from Siglent and one of the 'articles' is a blurb about all the features in the new 37R2 firmware.  Are they not aware that it is broken?  They're actively encouraging people to download defective firmware without mentioning that it kills your WiFi.   :-//
Yeah dumb.

Within 10 days of 37R2 release I had a 37R3 beta that fixes WiFi  :phew: but the new NTP feature and WiFi boot staging needs a fix too for it to boot and sync NTP properly as it does for LAN.
Just 12 hrs before your post I sent Siglent an email to check how they were getting on with adding a boot timeout to the NTP code in the hope they would have a 37R* to share with you all but not heard back yet.
I'll keep pushing.........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, MikeLud, blurpy

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2035 on: September 17, 2021, 09:41:21 am »
37R5 beta FW in my inbox to test over the weekend.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: masterx81, tubularnut, MikeLud, robert.rozee

Offline yoctobrad

Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E - OS Won't Update
« Reply #2036 on: September 18, 2021, 05:57:48 pm »
For what it's worth, I had the same problem trying to update the OS on my SDS1204X-E.  The ADS update went fine, but the unit would not boot from an 'empty' flash drive.  I have several 4 GB drives and I just purchased a brand new 32 GB drive.  None of them worked as a boot drive, even after I deleted everything and EACH drive reported itself as a FAT32 partition to Windows.  After some sleuthing it appears that, unless you specifically format the USB drive as a FAT32 partition prior to copying the OS files over, that it is possible that new drives contain "special" software in the boot sector used for security and other Mfg-specific things that interferes with the boot process on the scope.

After I reformatted one of my 4 GB flash drives as FAT32 and copied the files over, the OS update finished perfectly in about 20 seconds.  I really don't know what was different because nothing changed in the file explorer window in Windows.  I'm using Windows 10, BTW.

Hope that helps!

The following users thanked this post: robert.rozee

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2037 on: September 19, 2021, 01:13:26 pm »
I think it has nothing to do with the flash drive as being bootable or not, just being formatted at FAT32 does the trick.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2038 on: September 21, 2021, 02:30:41 am »
Had a few issues with it still not always WiFi boot syncing the NTP clock especially if you booted time and time again however if left for a few minutes between boots it seemed to sync properly and all seems well.
Why it initially played up IDK.  :-//

Just one little thing that's sort of associated that needs polishing and it should be ready for release but when that might be IDK.
Will do my best to have them push it through.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: MikeLud

Offline badz

« Reply #2039 on: September 21, 2021, 12:23:14 pm »
Hey,
I have just updated to the latest firmware and OSV2.
Now when I connect wifi dongle it says wifi device connected but I do not have wifi action in menu, it just dissapeared.
Network interface available now is only LAN. TL725N does not turn green when I plug in.
Anyone had this problem?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:41:29 pm by badz »

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: September 21, 2021, 06:30:49 pm »
Hey,
I have just updated to the latest firmware and OSV2.
Now when I connect wifi dongle it says wifi device connected but I do not have wifi action in menu, it just dissapeared.
Network interface available now is only LAN. TL725N does not turn green when I plug in.
Anyone had this problem?
Yes, everyone. :)

Check a few posts further back in this thread where it is talked about...

Downgrade to 6.1.35R2 for now if you need WiFi working.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2041 on: September 21, 2021, 09:58:21 pm »
Had a few issues with it still not always WiFi boot syncing the NTP clock especially if you booted time and time again however if left for a few minutes between boots it seemed to sync properly and all seems well.

Just one little thing that's sort of associated that needs polishing and it should be ready for release but when that might be IDK.
Have you checked if DHCP is working now? In my network i like to use dhcp with reservation instead of fixed ip addressing...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2042 on: September 21, 2021, 10:50:54 pm »

Have you checked if DHCP is working now? In my network i like to use dhcp with reservation instead of fixed ip addressing...
It is although not quite like I was expecting.

WiFi connection:
Change IP to an address where conflict is almost guaranteed then Save....DHCP = OFF
DHCP = ON ....IP returns to previous setting and one given some weeks back where any IP conflict would be very unlikely.

Will forward this info.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2043 on: September 22, 2021, 05:50:17 am »
Seem that at best is ignoring the dhcp lease time. Now that have the current time via ntp would be easy to know when do a new request after the lease time expire. Another approach (that not require storing the last dhcp request) would be a new request every boot, then doing a renew when the lease time expires. This need only a variable in ram counting the seconds from the last renew
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:53:18 am by masterx81 »

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2044 on: September 22, 2021, 08:47:11 am »
A DHCP lease renewal is actually initiated after 50% of the time has expired. At this point, if successful, the lease time is reset to zero.

So in theory a device can keep an IP for a very long period if the renewal is successful during the 50% to end period.

Even after the expiry period, the same IP can still be assigned if it wasn’t used by another device. So it can appear to be ‘fixed’, but is actually just not being re-used by something else. 

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2045 on: September 22, 2021, 11:03:10 am »
It is although not quite like I was expecting.

WiFi connection:
Change IP to an address where conflict is almost guaranteed then Save....DHCP = OFF
DHCP = ON ....IP returns to previous setting and one given some weeks back where any IP conflict would be very unlikely.

Will forward this info.  :horse:

Sometimes I get the feeling that tautech should be in the developer's team... don't know why...

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, Mortymore

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2046 on: September 28, 2021, 12:27:25 pm »
New firmware and optional OS update for SDS1104 and 1204X-E models.

Version V6.1.37R2
8.7 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.37R2_EN.zip

Release notes
Added data logger featuring Sample  and Measurement Logger functions
New App note for the logging functions:
https://siglentna.com/application-note/datalogging-with-the-four-channel-sds1000x-e-oscilloscope-models/
There's also an updated manual with the new Logging and NTP features detailed.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SDS1000X_E_SDS1000X_U_UserManual_EN.pdf
P202 and P217 respectively.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2047 on: September 28, 2021, 03:08:15 pm »
I can't say I checked this in previous firmware versions as I've only had my unit for a short time and updated the firmware soon after getting it, but on the latest firmware my 8GB USB thumb drive is not detected if it is already plugged in when the device boots, I have to plug it in after it has booted. (Or unplug it then plug it back in again, after I realise it is not detecting it)

Is anyone else having a similar problem ? Not the end of the world, but it is a little annoying as I like to have a thumb drive plugged into the rear port out of the way but then have to fiddle around removing it and reinserting it if I want to actually use it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:09:54 pm by DBMandrake »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2048 on: September 28, 2021, 03:55:44 pm »
I actually prefer to keep scopes plugged into network, and for screen captures, just take a snapshot from web interface directly on a PC... That is where I take it in the end eventually anyways..
If I recall correctly this was already reported..

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2049 on: September 28, 2021, 04:59:35 pm »
I actually prefer to keep scopes plugged into network, and for screen captures, just take a snapshot from web interface directly on a PC... That is where I take it in the end eventually anyways..
If I recall correctly this was already reported..
Yes, I use the screen capture feature in the web interface too - when it's sitting on my desk beside the computer where Ethernet is available. ;)

Everywhere else I need to use a thumb drive - especially given that the current firmware version has broken the WiFi... and so far I've actually used the scope more away from its usual desk (including outside on a car) than I have on the desk with Ethernet available.

So a reliably working USB save function is still important to me. Having a dedicated thumb drive plugged in out of the way at the back so its always ready to press print at a moments notice is useful, so it's a little annoying that I have to unplug and reconnect the drive every time the scope is powered up.

They seem to be missing some pretty obvious problems in this recent firmware version - how did they not notice WiFi was broken for example ? No regression testing, that's how...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:21:49 pm by DBMandrake »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf