Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 615617 times)

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2075 on: October 13, 2021, 01:14:02 pm »
Hi everyone. I have just buoght a SDS1104X-C(almost equals to SDS1104X-E). Does anyone have the wavegen hardware(SAG1021I) or logic probe hardware(SLA1016)? I wonder if they can be made by ourselves.

TIA

I have an SLA1016, but you may find they are difficult to replicate:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/schematics-of-photos-of-sla1016-wanted-logic-analyzer-for-siglent-scope/msg2751486/#msg2751486

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2076 on: October 13, 2021, 02:57:08 pm »
The flashing power button is a feature of the power supply, not the firmware.

Professionals, especially the ones working in big research labs, dont like flashing lights, because these usually indicate something is wrong.

Consequently, Siglent changed this behavior for the SDS5000X at some point. As far as i know, the SDS2000X Plus has never been shipped with that feature - even though I still have one with a flashing power button, just because it's a pre-production unit. The new SDS6000A also doesn't have that, of course.

I did not know that Siglent changed it for the SDS1000 series as well - but if so, then it's only consequent.

Offline acha666

« Reply #2077 on: October 15, 2021, 08:59:14 am »
 |O
thanks all the same

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2078 on: October 15, 2021, 05:13:18 pm »
[....]
I did not know that Siglent changed it for the SDS1000 series as well.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. To the best of my knowledge Siglent has not changed the behavior of the power button in the SDS1000 series. I have used the last three firmware versions on my SDS1104X-E (HW revision 01-04), and all three show the slow blinking power button in standby mode. Where it was said that this behavior has changed?

EDIT: OK, from the reply of DBMandrake below it becomes clear that the behavior of the power button in standby mode was changed in HW revision 01-05.
This confirms the statement of Performa01 that the blinking or not blinking power button in standby mode is determined by the HW revision (i.e. not by the firmware).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:32:53 pm by C.J.S. »

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2079 on: October 15, 2021, 06:26:38 pm »
So did anyone else  measured the standby currend?
DBMandrake: What is your HW version?
FYI I have the SDS1104X-E ("upgraded" to SDS1204X-E), HW version 01-04, firmware version 6.1.37R2.
I have measured a standby power consumption of 4.3W drawn from the 230V AC wall outlet, with only the power button blinking. This power was measured with an "Voltcraft EKM 265" AC mains power meter. I find this 4.3W quite a lot, considering that the same power meter measures 2.0W for my desktop PC in sleep mode, and 1.0W for the same desktop PC when shut down.

This 4.3W is in line with the 4W that you have measured, taking into account that AC mains power meters may not be very accurate when measuring low power levels.
This also makes me wonder if the 1.5 - 2W power consumption that DBMandrake has measured is correct.
My unit is hardware revision 01-05 (only about 2 months old, manufacture date in the last 6 months from memory) and there must be differences with the power supply as the power button does not flash in standby no matter what firmware version I use. (I've used 3 different versions during testing)

What temperature was the unit at ? I find with mine that standby power is higher when the unit is hot - eg just switched off after it has been running for a while, but after a while (maybe 15 minutes or so) the long-term standby power drops down to about 2 watts.

I wonder if people here are just taking a quick measurement and not leaving the unit to cool down and reach thermal equilibrium ?

Mine measures 4W in standby as well. Hardware version 01-04.

My vote goes to no blinking power button as well. It's just awful.

So you have the newest FW but your power button still blinking?
Yes, that is correct. So far I have used three different firmware versions, and all three showed the blinking power button in standby mode.  And since this scope does not have a hard AC mains switch, a blinking power button in standby mode is fine with me. I think you and me agree on this. I would be OK though with a software option for disabling the blinking power button.

No flashing power button on my 01-05 hardware revision, looks like there has been a hardware change to remove the flashing power light on standby, so potentially this cannot be changed in firmware for older units.

I'm really glad that my later hardware revision doesn't have the flashing light as I'd find it extremely annoying.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:32:02 pm by DBMandrake »

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2080 on: October 15, 2021, 08:54:27 pm »
My unit is hardware revision 01-05 (only about 2 months old, manufacture date in the last 6 months from memory) and there must be differences with the power supply as the power button does not flash in standby no matter what firmware version I use. (I've used 3 different versions during testing).
What temperature was the unit at ? I find with mine that standby power is higher when the unit is hot - eg just switched off after it has been running for a while, but after a while (maybe 15 minutes or so) the long-term standby power drops down to about 2 watts.
[....]
No flashing power button on my 01-05 hardware revision, looks like there has been a hardware change to remove the flashing power light on standby, so potentially this cannot be changed in firmware for older units.

OK, so apparently HW revision 01-05 has a modified power supply in which the blinking of the power button has been removed. And it looks like also the power consumption in standby mode has been reduced from circa 4W in HW revision 01-04 and earlier (I keep measuring 4.3W, also after cooling down) to circa 2W in HW revision 01-05. Good for you!

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2081 on: October 16, 2021, 03:35:10 pm »
Ok, I prefer a Math editor over Frequency counter , for example.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2082 on: October 17, 2021, 11:12:57 am »

Professionals, especially the ones working in big research labs, dont like flashing lights, because these usually indicate something is wrong.

Consequently, Siglent changed this behavior for the SDS5000X at some point. As far as i know, the SDS2000X Plus has never been shipped with that feature - even though I still have one with a flashing power button, just because it's a pre-production unit. The new SDS6000A also doesn't have that, of course.

I did not know that Siglent changed it for the SDS1000 series as well - but if so, then it's only consequent.

Thanks for the clarification! (Although because of this statement I am rewarding you with the Spaßbremse of the Week Award because of smashing my hopes. :)  )

Do you think that even the slowly blinking would annoy the professionals? Maybe some components would be easy to change to solve my problem?
By the way, your in-depth review of the scope is amazing especialy for beginners, not sure if this kind of scope behaviour data is aviable for higher end scopes, or one has to measure himself every parameter.

My unit is hardware revision 01-05 (only about 2 months old, manufacture date in the last 6 months from memory) and there must be differences with the power supply as the power button does not flash in standby no matter what firmware version I use. (I've used 3 different versions during testing)

I wonder if people here are just taking a quick measurement and not leaving the unit to cool down and reach thermal equilibrium ?

Mesauring it right now. Until than: Regarding your scope being 6 month old, I wonder if Siglent is not affected at all by the chip shortage? So far everything seems to be aviable.

I would be also interested, if anyone opened the Hw version 01-05 and the other versions: Is there any difference in the powersupply? Are the Rubycon caps still there? I don't want to void the warranty on mine but maybe someone in the US where the laws are diferen could check this.

So far 4W, going to notify the forum if it changes.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2083 on: October 17, 2021, 05:53:35 pm »

I'm really glad that my later hardware revision doesn't have the flashing light as I'd find it extremely annoying.

Interesting, from 4 W to 2W , on my 01-5 HW rev (FPGA 2019-11 15 rev) when turning the unit off the pow button is left glowing ever so faint, but in a dark'end room it clearly can be seen! Neat!

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2084 on: October 17, 2021, 06:05:18 pm »
Do you think that even the slowly blinking would annoy the professionals? Maybe some components would be easy to change to solve my problem?

Well, the SDS5000X has been evaluated by quite a number of engineers from various big research labs and this is where the complaint (together with the reasoning) came from. Even though such labs will usually not purchase oscilloscopes with less than 1 GHz bandwidth, even for less demanding tasks, Siglent still decided to apply the change to the lower end models as well - if only to have the same behavior for all models.

I honestly do not know what the hardware difference is and I think this would have to be clarified with the manufacturer of the power supply.

Maybe you find someone in the forum who owns a HW Rev. 1.04 (should be the vast majority) and hates the flashing standby light, hence would be willing to exchange their unit with yours? Thankfully, in modern DSOs there is no such thing like an aging CRT... ;)

Offline dophuc

• Contributor
« Reply #2085 on: October 19, 2021, 05:11:36 am »
Hello everyone

(Sorry about my English  :-[)
My scope SDS1104x-e has hardware version 01-05, firmware 6.1.37R2, Uboot OS 8.2 (V2). Firmware 6.1.37R2 adds some nice functions, but wifi function doesn't work |O. I suggest a solution while waiting for Signent to fix it. I connect the 1104x-e to wifi access point with a network cable, then my computer connects to the access point via wifi. Now I can connect the computer to my scope "wirelessly" similar to the connection using wifi usb :D.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:44:53 pm by dophuc »

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2086 on: October 21, 2021, 05:12:34 pm »

Well, the SDS5000X has been evaluated by quite a number of engineers from various big research labs and this is where the complaint (together with the reasoning) came from. Even though such labs will usually not purchase oscilloscopes with less than 1 GHz bandwidth, even for less demanding tasks, Siglent still decided to apply the change to the lower end models as well - if only to have the same behavior for all models.

I honestly do not know what the hardware difference is and I think this would have to be clarified with the manufacturer of the power supply.

Maybe you find someone in the forum who owns a HW Rev. 1.04 (should be the vast majority) and hates the flashing standby light, hence would be willing to exchange their unit with yours? Thankfully, in modern DSOs there is no such thing like an aging CRT... ;)
Well, definitely no aging CRT :) but I would loose my warranty. Otherwise I would have opened ip up and look for the PS differences compared to that one reviewed by Dave. What do you think about my other question of the scope being bogged down, with full memory used? Especially with measurements enabled.

Offline MrTick

« Reply #2087 on: October 27, 2021, 10:51:15 am »
Siglent has just released the 6.1.37R6 FW, that seems to have the NTP+WiFi issue fixed :)
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds1000x-e-series

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, MikeLud, blurpy, dophuc

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2088 on: October 27, 2021, 11:41:48 am »
Siglent has just released the 6.1.37R6 FW, that seems to have the NTP+WiFi issue fixed :)
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds1000x-e-series
What NTP issue ? NTP is working for me in 6.1.37R2....

But I'm glad WiFi is fixed though. Will update it tonight. :)

Offline dophuc

• Contributor
« Reply #2089 on: October 27, 2021, 01:53:07 pm »
My scope's NTP is working fine at version 6.1.37R2. I just upgraded to 6.1.37R6; WiFi now works perfectly  :-+

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2090 on: October 27, 2021, 02:36:14 pm »
Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the use of a $ in the PSIK, unless it is used at the end.

Offline sulzer

« Reply #2091 on: October 27, 2021, 03:02:38 pm »
In addition, this firmware does not support a hidden SSID.
The wi-fi function works but unfortunately the network must be visible. It's too bad !

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2092 on: October 27, 2021, 03:53:00 pm »
Why do you need a hidden network ?

Hidden networks aren't any more secure (it's still possible to find the SSID by promiscuous snooping of packets) and they also reduce battery life of devices that connect to them, as the client device has to keep sending out probes to find the network instead of being able to listen for SSID broadcasts to detect the network.

This in itself is somewhat insecure because saving a hidden network on a device like a phone means everywhere you go away from that network it is sending out probes looking for that network advertising the fact that a network of that name exists...  ;)

There are a surprising number of devices which do not work well with hidden networks, Siglent are not alone here.

Hidden SSID's are right up there with MAC address filtering for "things that seem like a good idea but actually aren't". If your reason for the SSID being hidden is "security", please just stop.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 03:58:49 pm by DBMandrake »

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2093 on: October 27, 2021, 04:21:59 pm »
Glad they got wifi fixed :)

They uploaded a new version of the OSv2 zip as well. The content is the same except for the instructions, which seem to be updated based on all the confusion in this thread.

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2094 on: October 27, 2021, 06:15:01 pm »
Glad they got wifi fixed :)

They uploaded a new version of the OSv2 zip as well. The content is the same except for the instructions, which seem to be updated based on all the confusion in this thread.
Updated mine tonight and unfortunately WiFi is still not usable.

Yes, the UI options to connect to WiFi that were completely missing in the previous version have returned, but I can't get a usable WiFi connection.

Sometimes it says connected, usually it says WLAN connection failed. Even when it does say connected I'm unable to ping it let alone log into the web interface.

It's about 1.5 metres from the base station...

* Full disclosure - I'm not using the "official" wireless adaptor however it is a TP-Link TL-WN725N which did work with version 6.1.35R2, although to be honest the connection was never very reliable or fast.

Oh well back to Ethernet for me... I hope others have better luck!

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #2095 on: October 27, 2021, 06:19:56 pm »
Hidden SSID's are right up there with MAC address filtering for "things that seem like a good idea but actually aren't". If your reason for the SSID being hidden is "security", please just stop.
Indeed, hidden SSIDs are bad security theatre.

You really want your neighbors to know you have a network on channel X so that they can avoid it.

Use a decent password. Avoid old authentication protocols and you will be fine. If you have old devices that require an older, insecure standard, create a cage SSID for them and separate them from your real network.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2096 on: October 27, 2021, 06:25:18 pm »
Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the use of a $ in the PSIK, unless it is used at the end.
Are the special character tables you sent me still accurate/unchanged ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2097 on: October 27, 2021, 06:27:23 pm »

I only checked the $ character, I’m assuming the others still work. I can do a random check if needed?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2098 on: October 27, 2021, 06:34:43 pm »

I only checked the $ character, I’m assuming the others still work. I can do a random check if needed?
Thanks, yes please check some as we are posting about the special characters problem on Siglents forum again.
Email if you like.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2099 on: October 27, 2021, 06:42:33 pm »
Thought I'd mention this version doesn't fix the issue where USB thumb drives won't auto-mount on boot, not that I was expecting it to.

Every time I boot up with a thumb drive still connected I have to unplug it and plug it back in again before it is recognised. Is there any way to feed this issue back to Siglent and does anyone else have the same issue ?

It's an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer which works fine for doing firmware updates and saving screenshots as long as it is plugged in after booting not before booting...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf