Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 620037 times)

Offline guho

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2150 on: December 13, 2021, 09:40:23 am »
Has anyone tried the latest firmware V6.1.37R8? I read somewhere it breaks wifi.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2151 on: December 13, 2021, 09:48:42 am »
Has anyone tried the latest firmware V6.1.37R8? I read somewhere it breaks wifi.
Still working fine with my pre release SN#0014 SDS1104X-E but yes you need to re-enter your SSID and PSK.
NTP server IP remains unchanged.

I've might have discovered a bug, maybe someone can duplicate.  Whenever I have a USB drive plugged in (in this case, a 32GB thumb drive), my USB wifi module isn't recognized on boot, and the system locks up when I hit WiFi Set in the Utility->I/O submenu.
No problems here with 8GB USB sticks.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #2152 on: December 13, 2021, 01:59:28 pm »
I have my USB Wifi module (TP-Link TL_WN725N) plugged into the USB port at the backside of my SDS1104X-E scope. In my experience the WiFi module is always detected after bootup, with or without USB drive plugged into the front USB port. But often detection of the Wifi module does not result in a reliable Wifi connection. Many times after boot up with Wifi module plugged in and detected by the the scope, I cannot access the web interface of the scope at the IP address of the Wifi module. When this happens I can repair the Wifi connection by switching Off and On WiFi and hit the Connect button in menu Utility => I/O => WiFi Set. Sometimes multiple attempts are needed to get a working WiFi connection, and the only way to find out if the WiFi connection is working is to check if the scope's web interface can be accessed on the IP address of the WiFi module. Once the WiFi connection is working the connection remains stable as long as the scope stays powered on.

To summarize, in my experience the scope most of the times does not establish a reliable WiFi connection with my WiFi router after boot up. When this happens I can make a working WiFi connection by switching Off/On WiFi and hit the Connect button in the Utility => I/O => WiFi Set menu. Many times multiple attempts are needed before a working WiFi connection is established. It could be that the occurrence of this problem depends on the WiFi Access Point (WiFi router) that is used.

There is certainly room for improvement wrt the reliability of the WiFi connection.

I have also experienced these wifi connection issues, in addition to my problems with an existing USB drive causing the UI to freeze when trying to connect to WIFI.

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2153 on: December 23, 2021, 04:05:50 pm »
I just noticed this issue, because I haven't so far used the web interface, just tried that it worked. I tried to search for this issue but couldn't find it. Are other people able to control the SDS1104X-E using the web interface, Instrument Control menu? I'm not able to.

In my web browser, I can only see the oscilloscope window and moving signals, but there are no buttons at all, so I can't control the scope using the browser, only view the signals. In some manuals I can see that there is supposed to be multiple rows of buttons, just like on the real scope.

I've tried with Firefox and Chromium, but it looks the same. Below is a screenshot how it looks. Is this a browser issue, or what?

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2154 on: December 23, 2021, 04:10:47 pm »
OK, now I saw the small arrow in the upper right corner. If I push this, the oscilloscope display becomes larger (fills the browser window horizontally) and some buttons do become visible, but not all of them:

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2155 on: December 23, 2021, 04:12:41 pm »
OK, well, if I then make the browser full screen, which I'm not used to do on my 3440x1440 monitor, I can see all buttons. But that's a gigantic oscilloscope on my 34" monitor  ;D

So seems to be a resolution/scaling issue, somehow.

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2156 on: December 23, 2021, 05:37:03 pm »
Looks like your browser or graphics settings are not ok.
Your display horizontal and vertical do not have same scale. (wrong aspect ratio)

Here some images how these must look if all is ok in PC side. In all Siglent scopes web browser scope screen picture aspect ratio is same as in scope TFT.  So your problem is not at all in scope. Naturally you have latest FW.

All images are plain screen shot from PC monitor (PrintScreen), pc connected using direct p-p LAN to scopes (of course).
Monitor is normal small 2560x1440 PC monitor.
Browser used here Opera (works also with others). Browser zoom setting is best to be 100% (or less)
Due to some your settings your PC monitor image is horizontally very badly stretched.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 05:46:41 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2157 on: December 23, 2021, 06:02:21 pm »
This is an ultra wide screen 3440x1440 34", so I guess that's the problem. For certain this is a limitation in the oscilloscope web server that it doesn't understand the ultra wide aspect ratio of the monitor.

I've used a 3440x1440 monitor for several years and this is the first application I've encountered issues with. And I consider myself an advanced computer user (software dev, linux user for 20 years). E.g. games and such are running fine. Zoom setting in browser doesn't affect.

But it's not a big issue, now that I know it works with a maximized browser window. Just wanted to mention the issue in the forum, if anyone else happened to see the same.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2158 on: December 23, 2021, 07:09:41 pm »
But it's not a big issue, now that I know it works with a maximized browser window. Just wanted to mention the issue in the forum, if anyone else happened to see the same.
For Windows, Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel is the quick fix to make the webserver ratio best fit monitors.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2159 on: December 23, 2021, 08:08:14 pm »

For Windows, Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel is the quick fix to make the webserver ratio best fit monitors.

That's not entirely correct. By default Ctrl + mouse scroll zooming isn't enabled in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, so that doesn't work (but zooming is available in the browser option menu). And that's simply zooming, not aspect ratio. Furthermore zooming affects only initial web page, not the view where the oscilloscope buttons are visible. When you push the small arrow in the corner to view the oscilloscope buttons, the oscilloscope view goes full screen horizontally and stretches according to monitor aspect ratio and is unaffected by any zoom. I tested on my Linux workstation and a Windows laptop with a smaller screen (1920x1080p). Behavior is the same on both (unless it is made for some ancient Internet Explorer version that I refuse to test). So you have to have the browser window maximized or full screen, then it works. So not a big issue, only a bit space wasting and looks a bit stretched on a really big ultra wide monitor.

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2160 on: December 24, 2021, 08:35:45 am »
So not a big issue, only a bit space wasting and looks a bit stretched on a really big ultra wide monitor.

Lets hope Siglent wants develop instruments PC display feature to be more flexible for different situations also for these older models.
Least it need repair so that what ever monitor it still keep aspect ratio untouched so that it do not stretch image when monitor is ultra wide.
Also it is nice if it  works well when user use monitor so that long side is vertical (as I least some times use for better ergonomy in some cases)
Also so that user can keep one browser open for oscilloscope on the screen and size he want because many peoples tody may have big high resolution monitors.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2161 on: December 24, 2021, 09:05:58 am »

That's not entirely correct. By default Ctrl + mouse scroll zooming isn't enabled in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, so that doesn't work (but zooming is available in the browser option menu).

Least Ctrl + mouse scroll zooming works in my case. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave and old obsolete (but in some cases nessessary for me, IE11).  Also I do not remember that I have made anything for that Ctrl + works.
But this is not solution for SDS1kX-E displaying, as you told.

Offline dophuc

• Contributor
« Reply #2162 on: December 24, 2021, 10:54:03 am »
Ctrl + mouse scroll zooming in my case also works (Chrome). However, it is only possible to change the Web view display of SDS1104X-E, when all buttons appear, it cannot be adjusted by Ctrl + scroll mouse. Thus, you can adjust the display to be smaller and click the upper right button to display all the buttons of the SDS1104X-E.

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2163 on: December 24, 2021, 08:59:24 pm »
Thus, you can adjust the display to be smaller and click the upper right button to display all the buttons of the SDS1104X-E.

When I zoom and adjust the display smaller, and then click the upper right button to display the oscilloscope buttons, the zoom is lost and the oscilloscope display + buttons stretch to full width of the monitor. So this seems to be different behavior in different systems.

Offline drdanger

« Reply #2164 on: January 06, 2022, 11:51:59 pm »
I have found what appears to be a bug in the Signal Logger on the SDS1104X-E. Applying a slow square wave with a 55 s period (18 mHz), I see frequency and period measured accurately by the logger at 2 samples per second (first screen shot). However, when the logger is set to 1 sample per second, the measured period is 68 s (second screen shot), a 24% error that can't be accounted for by the +/- 1 s resolution. The same error occurs with a longer period signal (e.g., 188 s is measured to be 231 s). I see no problem at 10 and 20 samples per second, or when acquiring the waveform in the scope's ordinary mode. Has anyone else observed this bug? My scope is updated to what I believe is the latest version of the firmware (6.1.37R6).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2165 on: January 07, 2022, 12:10:10 am »
I have found what appears to be a bug in the Signal Logger on the SDS1104X-E. Applying a slow square wave with a 55 s period (18 mHz), I see frequency and period measured accurately by the logger at 2 samples per second (first screen shot). However, when the logger is set to 1 sample per second, the measured period is 68 s (second screen shot), a 24% error that can't be accounted for by the +/- 1 s resolution. The same error occurs with a longer period signal (e.g., 188 s is measured to be 231 s). I see no problem at 10 and 20 samples per second, or when acquiring the waveform in the scope's ordinary mode. Has anyone else observed this bug? My scope is updated to what I believe is the latest version of the firmware (6.1.37R6).
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your report.  :-+
Latest firmware version is here:
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_V6.1.37R8_EN.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2166 on: January 07, 2022, 04:28:36 pm »
Least I can confirm there is bug as @drdanger said.

I have repeated the problem. It is quite clear that there is bug with that least when a sampling frequency of 1Sa / s is used. The error or fault is displayed both as an incorrectly scaled signal on the display scale and as incorrect time values measured by the cursors from saved record.
I have the latest FW version 6.1.37R8

In addition to bug fixes, I think there is still room for improvement. Examples are automatic forced horizontal scaling as recording progresses. I like it if I can turn it off too. The coefficients (4, 8) used in the scaling in connection with the acquisition are also a bit strange. Instead, the normal 1-2-5 steps are used when viewing a recording from memory after recording.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:57:12 pm by rf-loop »

Offline drdanger

« Reply #2167 on: January 07, 2022, 04:40:14 pm »
I have found what appears to be a bug in the Signal Logger on the SDS1104X-E. ...
Thanks for your report.  :-+
Latest firmware version is here:
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_V6.1.37R8_EN.zip

Thank you for the link. I have updated to 6.1.37R8; unfortunately, this does not fix the bug.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2168 on: January 16, 2022, 11:00:06 am »
On its site siglent offers two versions of the V2 operating system.
Simple mistake?

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2169 on: January 16, 2022, 12:04:30 pm »
Simple mistake?
They have made 3 revisions of the V2 OS actually. The first one seems to be removed now. The only difference between them is the pdf with instructions. It's been updated with more screenshots.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2170 on: January 16, 2022, 12:55:37 pm »
Simple mistake?

There are not two versions of V2 operating systems. It is V2.
But there are now two different packages. Older package have old isntruction pdf. More new package include bit better instruction pdf.
The OS itself is perfectly the same in both (zip) packages, version 2 aka V2. It can also proof comparing both packages included 4 files example checking these files CRC64 or  SHA1

But now there are two different distribution packages. The older one should probably have been removed. But it would probably also have been good to add to the new package that nothing but the guide has changed.
Here again, we see how important proper documentation and a change log would be.
It is cumbersome because there is no proper system for identifying distribution packages and programs and / or firmware versions.

Thanks god they don't make airplanes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:04:27 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2171 on: January 16, 2022, 01:21:53 pm »
Simple mistake?

It is cumbersome because there is no proper system for identifying distribution packages and programs and / or firmware versions.

Thanks god they don't make airplanes.

:D

Offline Variorum

« Reply #2172 on: January 28, 2022, 11:27:07 pm »
If anyone with a SDS1000X-E scope wants a convenient way to sync the time, the page below will help you to enable the NTP server on a Windows PC.
I have my scope plugged into a laptop on my bench that's connected via WIFI to my network. This gives me access to the scope from any PC on the network and gives me a local NTP source for the scope.

Go here to learn how to enable the NTP Service (The instructions are for Windows Server but apply to all versions of Windows 10):
https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-configure-ntp-server-in-windows-server/

These two steps on the page are very important! It took a couple days before I stumbled on a site that specified setting 'AnnounceFlags' to 5... the scope would not sync properly until I set that.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>W32Time>TimeProviders>NtpServer>Enabled = 1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>W32Time>Config>AnnounceFlags = 5

"Open UDP port 123 in the Firewall"  ---  This is mandatory on the machine that is providing the NTP service:

Change the Startup Mode of the "Windows Time" Service to "Automatic" and Start or Restart it if it was already running.

Set your scope to point to the IP Address of the PC that running the NTP Service...

The PC syncs its clock automatically (usually via time.windows.com) so the accuracy should be as good as an external NTP server. It's been working great for me since I set it up.

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #2173 on: January 29, 2022, 02:27:33 am »
Thanks for the info. Fresh Tomato (firmware) on my router can also run an NTP server, that one is always on so a bit handier. Haven't tried it yet though.
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2174 on: February 21, 2022, 03:11:41 pm »
It's unreliable for me. Sometimes it works OK and the web interface is fairly usable. Sometimes it just won't connect or it connects but there is no useful data throughput.

One thing that may be an issue for me is that I have 3 wireless AP's in the house all broadcasting the same SSID's as our internal walls are far too thick to cover the house with one AP. This allows devices to roam between AP's automatically as they move around the house.

Even though one of the AP's is in the same room (about a metre away) from the scope, there's a possibility that the roaming support on the device is poor and it's sometimes connecting to a far away AP and thus not getting a usable signal. I'll need to do some more testing to see if this is the case.

Are you using DHCP or a static IP?
On my original firmware (ca 2020), I found that WiFi was unstable and constantly connected/disconnected when using DHCP but was rock stable when using static IP.
I posted this as a bug report back then and also to the Forum https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-wifi-totally-flakey-with-dhcp-on-(but-rock-solid-with-dhcp-off)/msg3216354/#msg3216354

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf