Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 617121 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2175 on: February 21, 2022, 09:06:27 pm »
It's unreliable for me. Sometimes it works OK and the web interface is fairly usable. Sometimes it just won't connect or it connects but there is no useful data throughput.

One thing that may be an issue for me is that I have 3 wireless AP's in the house all broadcasting the same SSID's as our internal walls are far too thick to cover the house with one AP. This allows devices to roam between AP's automatically as they move around the house.

Even though one of the AP's is in the same room (about a metre away) from the scope, there's a possibility that the roaming support on the device is poor and it's sometimes connecting to a far away AP and thus not getting a usable signal. I'll need to do some more testing to see if this is the case.

Are you using DHCP or a static IP?
On my original firmware (ca 2020), I found that WiFi was unstable and constantly connected/disconnected when using DHCP but was rock stable when using static IP.
I posted this as a bug report back then and also to the Forum https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-wifi-totally-flakey-with-dhcp-on-(but-rock-solid-with-dhcp-off)/msg3216354/#msg3216354
Some recent discussion:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-wifi-needs-router-ssid-broadcast-all-the-time/

With the latest firmware behavior is consistent. (V6.1.37R8 and V2 OS)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2176 on: February 22, 2022, 05:30:21 pm »
It's unreliable for me. Sometimes it works OK and the web interface is fairly usable. Sometimes it just won't connect or it connects but there is no useful data throughput.

One thing that may be an issue for me is that I have 3 wireless AP's in the house all broadcasting the same SSID's as our internal walls are far too thick to cover the house with one AP. This allows devices to roam between AP's automatically as they move around the house.

Even though one of the AP's is in the same room (about a metre away) from the scope, there's a possibility that the roaming support on the device is poor and it's sometimes connecting to a far away AP and thus not getting a usable signal. I'll need to do some more testing to see if this is the case.

Are you using DHCP or a static IP?
On my original firmware (ca 2020), I found that WiFi was unstable and constantly connected/disconnected when using DHCP but was rock stable when using static IP.
I posted this as a bug report back then and also to the Forum https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-wifi-totally-flakey-with-dhcp-on-(but-rock-solid-with-dhcp-off)/msg3216354/#msg3216354
Some recent discussion:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-wifi-needs-router-ssid-broadcast-all-the-time/

With the latest firmware behavior is consistent. (V6.1.37R8 and V2 OS)

The thread you cite seems to be mostly about SSID and DHCP lease issues.
The problem that I documented in the thread I cited (along with bug report to Siglent) is that a combination of certain routers & network topologies lead to unstable DHCP connections with the connection dropping and restarting every few seconds. This has nothing to do with SSID or DHCP leases.

I was able to solve the problem by using static DHCP.

I don't think it's a problem with my routers (Netgear r6700 running dd-wrt) as my network is otherwise rock stable and dd-wrt is pretty darn solid.
Also, the WiFi dongle works fine under Windows or Linux.
So presumably there was/is a problem with the Siglent firmware -- or at least the version I had from 2020 as I have not yet updated
When I update, I will check if problem still persists...

Offline Hfe72

« Reply #2177 on: March 06, 2022, 11:06:32 am »
Hey guys! My sds1104x-e (hacked up to 200MHz) software version is 6.1.33 and Uboot-OS version is 8.1. Do I have to install every single update in incremental order or can I jump straight to the latest one without installing any updates in between them? The latest firmware is V6.1.37R8 and OS is Operating System -V2? And which one should be installed first, or does this matter?

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2178 on: March 06, 2022, 11:32:35 am »
Hey guys! My sds1104x-e (hacked up to 200MHz) software version is 6.1.33 and Uboot-OS version is 8.1. Do I have to install every single update in incremental order or can I jump straight to the latest one without installing any updates in between them? The latest firmware is V6.1.37R8 and OS is Operating System -V2? And which one should be installed first, or does this matter?

I only got my scope a couple of weeks ago so I'm definitely not an expert but I went from 6.1.35R2 straight to V6.1.37R8 without problems. Maybe someone can be of more help though.

As far as the OS, I've been having problems to install OS2  but yesterday I read that the USB stick should be either 8gb or 32gb. Unfortunately I only have 2,4 and 16gb sticks so I don't know if this is the actual problem I'm having. 

The following users thanked this post: Hfe72

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2179 on: March 06, 2022, 11:43:53 am »

I only got my scope a couple of weeks ago so I'm definitely not an expert but I went from 6.1.35R2 straight to V6.1.37R8 without problems. Maybe someone can be of more help though.

As far as the OS, I've been having problems to install OS2  but yesterday I read that the USB stick should be either 8gb or 32gb. Unfortunately I only have 2,4 and 16gb sticks so I don't know if this is the actual problem I'm having.
The 2 and 4GB sticks should work just fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2180 on: March 06, 2022, 02:48:31 pm »

The 2 and 4GB sticks should work just fine.

Thank you tautech. It was in the manual where it says for the 8/32gb so I gave up trying until I get the proper stick but since you say it should work, I'll give it another try.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2181 on: March 06, 2022, 04:19:25 pm »
Thank you tautech. It was in the manual where it says for the 8/32gb so I gave up trying until I get the proper stick but since you say it should work, I'll give it another try.

I've heard of difficulty with certain USB drives, but I have two different 16GB versions that work fine with both of my Siglent scopes.  Just make sure they are formatted FAT32.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:37:21 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: pope

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2182 on: March 06, 2022, 04:22:40 pm »

I've heard of difficulty with certain USB drives, but I have two different 16GB versions that work find with both of my Siglent scopes.  Just make sure they are formatted FAT32.

I'm trying with a different USB stick as we speak. It's 4gb. The instructions say that after updating the scope should restart by itself and if not to do it manually after 10 minutes.

5 more minutes to go... :)

Also, the stick has a LED, which was blinking during the start-up but now it's been constantly ON.

EDIT: OK success! I had to manually restart the scopw but it appears to have the OS 8.2 version now  :-+
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 04:39:55 pm by pope »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2183 on: March 06, 2022, 07:34:58 pm »

I've heard of difficulty with certain USB drives, but I have two different 16GB versions that work find with both of my Siglent scopes.  Just make sure they are formatted FAT32.

I'm trying with a different USB stick as we speak. It's 4gb. The instructions say that after updating the scope should restart by itself and if not to do it manually after 10 minutes.

Also, the stick has a LED, which was blinking during the start-up but now it's been constantly ON.

EDIT: OK success! I had to manually restart the scope but it appears to have the OS 8.2 version now  :-+
Nice, enjoy OS 8.2.  :)

Yep correct observation, LED activity at boot indicates the new OS was being loaded.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Hfe72

« Reply #2184 on: March 06, 2022, 08:16:27 pm »

EDIT: OK success! I had to manually restart the scopw but it appears to have the OS 8.2 version now  :-+

I thought that my scope did not autodetect the stick on startup, but when I manually restart the scope OS is now 8.2  :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2185 on: March 06, 2022, 08:56:36 pm »

I thought that my scope did not autodetect the stick on startup, but when I manually restart the scope OS is now 8.2  :)
During boot the scope's OS automatically looks for OS files in the root of a USB stick and if present autoloads them.

This is also how the recovery files work. With a USB stick with a activity LED you can monitor all this happening in realtime.  :)

OS and recovery files need be removed from your USB sticks otherwise they are uploaded again at each boot.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2186 on: March 07, 2022, 04:01:39 am »
Why autosetup doesn't adjust 4 channels like agilent or tek?, four signals in this scope it has same vertical position.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2187 on: March 07, 2022, 04:48:01 am »
Why autosetup doesn't adjust 4 channels like agilent or tek?, four signals in this scope it has same vertical position.
0V is the default position for all channels however with setting your personal User default you can have all manner of scope settings just as you like them.
You can find it in the Save/Recall menu however it's wise to run a factory default before configuring and saving a User default.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2188 on: March 07, 2022, 05:49:04 am »
Yes, I do it, but I would hope siglent can set the autosetup with vertical offset and vertical scale like othera brands really is easy to see when you touch autosetup and get all signals with vertical scale and vertical offset without touch between them, I dont use to much autoset, but helps for more fast and easy adjust

Online MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: May 04, 2022, 12:08:56 am »
Anyone else have a problem when choosing the trigger channel source ? Today I was changing trigger channel, in the trigger menu along the bottom of the screen, it says in a little box, CH1, and that on screen text stopped changing. The trigger itself still seems to change and work, but that text does not.

On the upper right, the trigger info up there updates and changes. See in the picture, I chose CH2 in the menu, and it did it, but the little status box in the bottom still says CH1.

I rebooted, but never unpluged the standby pwr, and when I turned it back on, I seem to have the same problem.

I don't remember having this problem before, I might have pressed the button really fast earlier1477744-0

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2190 on: May 04, 2022, 12:48:16 am »
Anyone else have a problem when choosing the trigger channel source ? Today I was changing trigger channel, in the trigger menu along the bottom of the screen, it says in a little box, CH1, and that on screen text stopped changing. The trigger itself still seems to change and work, but that text does not.

On the upper right, the trigger info up there updates and changes. See in the picture, I chose CH2 in the menu, and it did it, but the little status box in the bottom still says CH1.

I rebooted, but never unpluged the standby pwr, and when I turned it back on, I seem to have the same problem.

I don't remember having this problem before, I might have pressed the button really fast earlier (Attachment Link)
A few things a missing from this report.....
The screenshot is from the webserver UI and you haven't said if the Trigger setting changes were made from within the webserver or from the scopes front panel. (possible webserver bug ?)
What is the installed FW version ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2191 on: May 04, 2022, 02:00:31 am »
Hi it's software version 6.1.35R2, a 1104 hacked to a 1204.

I set the trigger on the machine, by pressing setup, then the source button. I unplugged for a while, and just restarted, and the trigger soucre box in the setup menu, read correct, but then again when I changed it, it scrolls through in the little pop-up menu, but it still never changed it in the box.

Ok but if I leave the trigger menu, by say going to CH1 menu, then go back to trigger, it then says the correct CH# in that box.

No big deal, but I don't remember it being like this before.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: May 04, 2022, 03:36:48 am »
Hi it's software version 6.1.35R2.............
2 year old FW, 3 versions outta date.  :-//

See if the latest fixes this but don't forget to install the new OS too so to get the full range of new features.
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=12
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2193 on: May 04, 2022, 10:54:13 am »
OK thanks, but that won't undo the BW hack right ? and I DL stuff for 1204x-e?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 10:55:51 am by MathWizard »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2194 on: May 04, 2022, 08:22:32 pm »
OK thanks, but that won't undo the BW hack right ?
No.
BW upgrades are just like options, they remain after FW upgrades.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: MathWizard

Offline matli

« Reply #2195 on: May 21, 2022, 03:06:04 pm »
Are there any solutions for using the 1104X-E embedded web server on ultra wide monitors? Problems were mentioned previously in this thread, but I couldn't see any real solutions.
For me, the issue means that the embedded web controls are more or less unusable. I have a 3440x1600 ultrawide monitor.

The initial view looks OK, I can see a representation of the scope's screen. However, when I push the little arrow in the upper right corner to access the controls, I get a super zoomed-in view of just a part of the scope. Even if I maximize the window, I still just can see a small portion of the interface. If I try to resize the browser window, it all snaps back to just showing me the initial view.

The only workaround I have been able to find is to zoom out the browser to 25% or so before switching on the controls, but then everything else is tiny and totally unreadable. And if I try to resize the window or so, then it all snaps back to a tiny miniature window.

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: May 23, 2022, 12:50:58 pm »
I also thought that the scope had failed to detect the USB stick, because it just seemed to start normally. In hindsight, I think the welcome screen did flash briefly after about 2 seconds, but then the CRO started up normally. No indication whatsoever that anything had happened. Repeat several times with several different sticks. Same result.  In frustration, I went ahead and updated the firmware anyway (OS upgrade is not needed for 6.1.37R8), and only then checked the System Status. OS is 8.2. Firmware is 6.1.37R8.
Looks like the OS install guide may be misleading. No power cycle, no 10 minute wait - wham! Bam! Thank you m’am, in the space of a few seconds. But the installation process itself - silky smooth! Shame they couldn’t save the WiFi credentials😁

Roman

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2197 on: May 23, 2022, 01:48:54 pm »
Shame they couldn’t save the WiFi credentials😁
:-//
WiFi is working just fine now since most special characters were supported.

What issues are you having ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2198 on: May 24, 2022, 12:53:37 am »
No issues - WiFi is indeed working fine. Rock solid with static IP. My tongue-in-cheek comment alluded to the fact that my WiFi password is rather long and the input mechanism gets a bit tiresome. That’s me, not the CRO, or the many other devices in my house that use a similar HMI.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2199 on: May 24, 2022, 01:07:01 am »
No issues - WiFi is indeed working fine. Rock solid with static IP. My tongue-in-cheek comment alluded to the fact that my WiFi password is rather long and the input mechanism gets a bit tiresome. That’s me, not the CRO, or the many other devices in my house that use a similar HMI.
Connected to a wired LAN using the scopes webserver, a PC mouse and virtual keyboard makes such tasks a doddle.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf