Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 614913 times)

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2200 on: May 24, 2022, 05:26:33 pm »
New Firmware  Version: V6.1.37R9

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=12

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2201 on: May 24, 2022, 08:13:51 pm »

What's new? It must be my broken English but I didn't understand much from the release note.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2202 on: May 24, 2022, 09:10:06 pm »

What's new? It must be my broken English but I didn't understand much from the release note.
Fixed the problem: The skew of the two ADCs is not accuracy for hardware of 09 version (System Status shows Hardware Version: 09-xx). The other hardware version has no this problem.

Translation: New HW introduced due to component shortages introduced a skew between ADC's that is remedied with this new FW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: ceut

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2203 on: May 25, 2022, 07:37:01 am »

Fixed the problem: The skew of the two ADCs is not accuracy for hardware of 09 version (System Status shows Hardware Version: 09-xx). The other hardware version has no this problem.

Translation: New HW introduced due to component shortages introduced a skew between ADC's that is remedied with this new FW.

Thanks! So my understanding is that it's not necessary for older units. Do you know what serial number onwards by any chance?

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2204 on: May 26, 2022, 07:43:57 pm »

Hello,
Thank you for the news !
My SDS1104X-E is 09-06 Hardware Version so I have just downloaded the file, then will upgrade mine  :-+

(but I have not really understood the "skew between ADC" , have I different type of ADC in my model because of the shortages? ???  )

Edit: Upgrade OK, but the scope has deleted all my settings, so I have reloaded them from the "default" Button where I have saved them  :D (and have also a copy on a little 4GB USB Stick)
I have done a recalibration after all that, without anything on the input  :-+
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:52:02 pm by ceut »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2205 on: May 26, 2022, 08:09:11 pm »

Hello,
Thank you for the news !
My SDS1104X-E is 09-06 Hardware Version so I have just downloaded the file, then will upgrade mine  :-+

(but I have not really understood the "skew between ADC" , have I different type of ADC in my model because of the shortages? ???  )
Maybe, maybe not. However it is clear from the the firmware notes there has been some minor HW change.

Edit: Upgrade OK, but the scope has deleted all my settings, so I have reloaded them from the "default" Button where I have saved them  :D (and have also a copy on a little 4GB USB Stick)
I have done a recalibration after all that, without anything on the input  :-+
This must not happen !
Please list each of the settings types deleted and I'll report this to Siglent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2206 on: May 27, 2022, 12:13:59 am »
Quote from: tautech
This must not happen !
Please list each of the settings types deleted and I'll report this to Siglent.

I have extracted the .xml file from my setting, then re-flashed the FW, then re-extracted the .xml: 120 modified lines (I'm a TotalCommander user 8) , and I have compared the 2 files with it) .
So too much to list I think  :-\
My original .xml is 88591 bytes and after having flashed the new FW, the file is smaller: 88564 bytes.

What I first saw:
>reset of the channels configurations, with the 1rst yellow channel with trace in the middle.
>lost of all the display configuration (intensity/graticule/transparency)
>lost of the AWG configuration with my JDS6600  ^-^
>lost of the NTP server (no popup after boot)

I have not checked all, as I have recovered all settings with the backup I have made and set on the "default" button  :-+
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:43:31 am by ceut »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2207 on: June 11, 2022, 08:47:22 am »
Hi, I just found this big thread.

I wonder if the hobbyist upgrade can be done after the V6.1.37R9 firmware, and where explains the steps to upgrade it.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:51:33 pm by Trader »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2208 on: June 12, 2022, 08:04:54 am »

I wonder if the hobbyist upgrade can be done after the V6.1.37R9 firmware, and where explains the steps to upgrade it.

Thank you.
Thought I'd let you search for a day or 2 only to find your answer was currently on P2 of the TE board:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlocking-siglent-sds1104x-e-step-by-step/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2209 on: June 12, 2022, 09:38:16 am »

Thank you.
Thought I'd let you search for a day or 2 only to find your answer was currently on P2 of the TE board:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlocking-siglent-sds1104x-e-step-by-step/

Thank you so much.  I still can't find it. Maybe a link?

I guess this kind of thread should keep updated the OP with the necessary info or at least an index to the relevant Replies.

I asked where are the steps because I found several times in other threads that the first posts were outdated and just close to the last post I found the correct solution.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2210 on: June 12, 2022, 02:31:16 pm »

Thank you.

Thank you so much.  I still can't find it. Maybe a link?

I guess this kind of thread should keep updated the OP with the necessary info or at least an index to the relevant Replies.

I asked where are the steps because I found several times in other threads that the first posts were outdated and just close to the last post I found the correct solution.
Focus only on finding the python method as it’s the safest.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2211 on: June 21, 2022, 01:44:57 pm »
Just received my brand new SDS1104X-E. There's A LOT to read now  ::)

Offline Minari

« Reply #2212 on: June 22, 2022, 06:04:06 pm »
Oooh, OS version 8.3.  Anyone know what features this has over the previous version?  I can't see any reference to minor OS revisions on the Siglent website.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2213 on: June 23, 2022, 02:51:16 am »
I never did update my firmware's yet, on any of my Siglent gear.

I have 2-3 of the default probes, that must have a break in them somewhere, and sometimes the cables lose gnd, and other times just get weird in some positions.

So how hard is it to take them apart, and fix the crack or whatever, and fix it ? I just remembered they are not just ordinary coax.

But if I don't care about cutting 1 open , are they fairly easy to fix, like with solder, and glue, electric tape, maybe even tinfoil ???

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2214 on: June 23, 2022, 03:18:58 am »
I never did update my firmware's yet, on any of my Siglent gear.

I have 2-3 of the default probes, that must have a break in them somewhere, and sometimes the cables lose gnd, and other times just get weird in some positions.

So how hard is it to take them apart, and fix the crack or whatever, and fix it ? I just remembered they are not just ordinary coax.

But if I don't care about cutting 1 open , are they fairly easy to fix, like with solder, and glue, electric tape, maybe even tinfoil ???

Why not buy a New cheap and good probe?

P2200 (200MHz) (460MHz -3dBm)  https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DCmmHgx

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2215 on: June 23, 2022, 06:50:19 am »
Oooh, OS version 8.3.  Anyone know what features this has over the previous version?  I can't see any reference to minor OS revisions on the Siglent website.

The calibration certificate indicates that it was calibrated in 21/03/2022 so the OS V8.3 must be at least 3 months old.

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2216 on: July 06, 2022, 08:42:15 am »
Hi there!

I've been fiddling with the SDS1104X-E for quite a while now and I think I've found a bug in the Counter function or, at least, a weird behaviour. For instance, get a couple of sine waves in, say, 1KHz in channel 1 and 10KHz in channel 3. Now start the counter and select channel 3 as its source. The counter displays 1KHz as if it were the channel 1:

I searched the forum and found something in this very topic:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg3728731/?topicseen#msg3728731

Is anyone using the new counter function?  It appears not to work the way I would expect--it gives you the option of selecting any active channel--and changes the color of the 'Frequency' annunciation to match, but won't actually indicate anything unless the trigger source is that channel.  I'm not sure how that is a helpful feature...

This may address my observations but upon further investigations I found that the Counter function displays the correct answer, 10KHz if I activate any of the other 2 or 4 channels.

Channel 2 also activated = Counter OK:

Now I disengage channel 2 and engage channel 4. Again, counter OK:

It looks like a bug, right?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:47:40 am by Calambres »

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2217 on: July 06, 2022, 10:11:57 am »
I just followed your procedure and I can confirm that I get exactly the same bug. Thanks for pointing this out!  :-+

6.1.37r8 and OS 8.2
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:20:41 pm by pope »

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2218 on: July 06, 2022, 12:45:22 pm »
Ooops!.. I forgot it  ::) my scope is running 6.1.37r9 and OS 8.3

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2219 on: July 11, 2022, 05:03:07 am »
I have an 1104-XE with the latest everything I believe. On the 4 channels 2-3-4 all are within 1 mV of zero with the input shorted gain max. However Ch1 is at +3 mV. I did a self cal and its the same afterwards as before. Is there an adjustment or something I need to do? Is this within tolerance?  Its not very important, however only one channel seems to be afflicted so there may be more to this.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2220 on: July 11, 2022, 05:10:50 am »
I have an 1104-XE with the latest everything I believe. On the 4 channels 2-3-4 all are within 1 mV of zero with the input shorted gain max. However Ch1 is at +3 mV. I did a self cal and its the same afterwards as before. Is there an adjustment or something I need to do? Is this within tolerance?  Its not very important, however only one channel seems to be afflicted so there may be more to this.

What do you get with the channels open (nothing connected to the scope) ?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2221 on: July 12, 2022, 04:04:34 am »
No change. I shorted the input just to be sure. I have a Tek THS720 that drifts but the self cal corrects it. I was expecting that here but no success. Has nayone else noticed offset?

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2222 on: July 12, 2022, 05:19:51 am »

Do you mean "gain max" that means you have set channels for 500uV/div.

I have never seen that with this setting channel is +3mV offset. (with this setting +3mV is outside from screen. With 500uV/div whole sceen vertical range is -2mV to +2mV
1mV offset is 2 div. Also this I have never seen exept in chase that selfcal is out of order. (it can also happen if oscilloscope is cal ok in +24 and just after turn on from -20 celsius... during warm up it may of course drift quite lot)

Please do, all next even if you have done it earlier

First turn it on and set it to factory default state (not front panel "Deafault" button). (you can findFactory Default from Save/Recall menu -> Recall -> Type: select from list Factory Default -> Press to Recall)
And then keep all as is.

Keep oscilloscope running alone least 30minute in place where it can reach thermal equilibrium..

Then
NOTHING connected to oscilloscope input connectors. All BNC need be open!

Start Selfcal. Do not touch anything during this and keep all strong EMI sources far away from near inputs, including your fingers.

After it is finished.

Still do not connect anything to inputs. Do not adjust any other things but next
Turn all 4 channels on and set all channels for 500uV/div. All trace positions 0.0V (you can push Position knob or adjust it so that it is perfectly 0.0V)
If real trace is not vertical center do not adjust it to center using Position.

Only just connect USB memory stick and push "print" button for get screen image to USB. (naturally if you allready have PC connected to scope then screen shot using it)

Display this image here so we can see this situation and because you do exactly as asked we also know perfectly what is oscilloscope state when this image is taken.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 05:42:47 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2223 on: July 13, 2022, 04:22:46 am »
I did not realize the channel was set for a 10X probe when I sent the original note.

I followed the suggested process which cleaned up the offsets (at least down the the noise level). Picture attached. I'm not sure what had left the offset but its essentially gone. Ch 2 has a little offset but not enough to be concerned.

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2224 on: July 13, 2022, 05:14:01 am »
I did not realize the channel was set for a 10X probe when I sent the original note.

I followed the suggested process which cleaned up the offsets (at least down the the noise level). Picture attached. I'm not sure what had left the offset but its essentially gone. Ch 2 has a little offset but not enough to be concerned.

Good.

Looks very normal.
(Despite the fact that you did it differently than I advised - although in this case it does not cause ambiguity or a problem when the thing to be evaluated is this simple.)

This small dc offset can not compensate - it is  feature in this model. It just need accept. (offset DAC and other circuits limits)
If need do accurate Vrms measurements where DC offset is eliminated then use Stdev or Cycle Stdev instead of DC including RMS or Cycle RMS .

If keep Quick Cal: On (Utility menu) it try some times compensate offset drift when 500uV/div - 2mV/div is selected. 
It do this process also always during first 30minute from power up when it works 15sec intervals. It can easy see that roll resets every 15 second if use slow roll mode and 500uV/div. After around 30 minute from powerup  it stop (but after then it can process if system "think" it need do) 
It is default on. Turn it off only when really need and after then back to ON again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 05:21:43 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf