Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 617668 times)

Offline sulzer

Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2375 on: April 01, 2023, 12:07:52 pm »
A little help for the newbie that I am.
I can't switch to OS3, here is my config:
Software Version : 6.1.37R9
Uboot-OS Version : 8.2
FPGA Version : 1.4
What am I not understanding?
What can I upgrade?
Thanks for your help

Offline tony359

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2376 on: April 01, 2023, 10:25:31 pm »
it looks like I am not the only one then :)

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2377 on: April 01, 2023, 11:40:12 pm »
A little help for the newbie that I am.
I can't switch to OS3, here is my config:
Software Version : 6.1.37R9
Uboot-OS Version : 8.2
FPGA Version : 1.4
What am I not understanding?
What can I upgrade?
Thanks for your help
What is your hardware version?  I'm pretty sure OS3 is only for 09-06.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2378 on: April 02, 2023, 08:15:55 am »
Nope!  I've got an SDS1104X-E  with Hardware Version 01-05 and OS 8.3 from factory:

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: April 03, 2023, 02:14:08 pm »
Did anyone measured noise at 500 uV/div full BW 50ns/Div with the newer HW versions?
Just because originally what Performa01 measured it seemed significantly below spec at 63uV RMS (without the DC so in this case std dev) and I got similar values on mine.

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2380 on: April 04, 2023, 07:55:29 pm »
Hi folks, got today by SDS1104XE   ;D
It was calibrated in december 2022.

1 probe from 4 have contact issues. I contacted support to ask a newone (w/ a video).
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline patrik96

• Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: April 05, 2023, 07:46:50 am »
Hi, may someone able to explain me,
I have SDS1104x-E and there is no AutoSetup menu only the Autosetup button,
If activated the Autosetup it adjust the scope onece and after no adjustment but the AUTOSETUP visible in the left bottom corner on the screen.
So if changing the Amplitude or frequency the scope not follow that. (is it normal? my previous OWON follow the signal)
Thansk

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2382 on: April 05, 2023, 08:02:25 am »
Hi, may someone able to explain me,
I have SDS1104x-E and there is no AutoSetup menu only the Autosetup button,
If activated the Autosetup it adjust the scope onece and after no adjustment but the AUTOSETUP visible in the left bottom corner on the screen.
So if changing the Amplitude or frequency the scope not follow that. (is it normal? my previous OWON follow the signal)
Thansk
Correct.
These DSO's are designed with the mind that the operator must be in charge of the scope not the other way around.
Either press Auto Setup again or learn how to master the use of the scope, it's not really difficult but instead very rewarding.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2383 on: April 05, 2023, 05:39:20 pm »

1 probe from 4 have contact issues. I contacted support to ask a newone (w/ a video).

I've got the same scope, same HW/OS versions, half a year earlier than yours and exactly the same issue: one of the probes is having issues with the 1x/10x switch  ::)

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2384 on: April 05, 2023, 07:39:13 pm »

I've got the same scope, same HW/OS versions, half a year earlier than yours and exactly the same issue: one of the probes is having issues with the 1x/10x switch  ::)
They are warrantied for 1 year so claim a warranty replacement from your supplier.
It often is possible to capture a screenshot of the fault to support your claim.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tony359

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2385 on: April 07, 2023, 10:08:35 am »
Thansk
Correct.
These DSO's are designed with the mind that the operator must be in charge of the scope not the other way around.
Either press Auto Setup again or learn how to master the use of the scope, it's not really difficult but instead very rewarding.

I checked on mine and it's not "correct" at least the way I understand.

Yes, after the auto-setup you only have one "go back" button at the bottom but
- Amplitude and frequency do work on mine
- You can press any other button and it will retain the auto-setup settings but take you back to the normal screen.

Are you saying that after running an auto-setup your amplitude and frequency knobs don't work?

Nope!  I've got an SDS1104X-E  with Hardware Version 01-05 and OS 8.3 from factory:

Of course, it's pretty clear from the instructions that OSV3 is "not needed", it doesn't mean it won't work.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2386 on: April 07, 2023, 10:22:36 am »
Thansk
Correct.

- You can press any other button and it will retain the auto-setup settings but take you back to the normal screen.

Are you saying that after running an auto-setup your amplitude and frequency knobs don't work?
Sorry, we're not talking the same thing.
Truth be I rarely ever use Autoset instead much preferring to be in charge of the scope.
When I do use it and normally to show a customer a shortcut to getting some sensible display on the screen but then take over the controls to drive and be in charge of the scope.

For scope newbies Autoset is great however I don't recommend you let it capture you too as the human brain is more powerful than the machine.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tony359

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2387 on: April 07, 2023, 10:45:26 am »
I never use auto-setup either but the OP was asking about it so I turned on mine and checked.

Replying that that's the intended operations of the scope because they are"designed with the mind that the operator must be in charge of the scope" does not really sound as a useful answer IMHO.

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2388 on: April 08, 2023, 02:03:11 pm »
Thansk
Correct.

I misunderstood patrik96 post at first, but then realised that what he meant was that once the Autosetup button is pressed, it only acts on the current signal input. If you adjust the input signal or alter the timebase or amplitude controls on the scope, it will not adjust for the best display, despite "AUTOSET" being displayed on the screen.

It seems like his previous Owon scope tracked the signal for best display while the Autosetup was still activated, without having to press the button again.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2389 on: April 08, 2023, 08:14:36 pm »
Thansk
Correct.

I misunderstood patrik96 post at first, but then realised that what he meant was that once the Autosetup button is pressed, it only acts on the current signal input. If you adjust the input signal or alter the timebase or amplitude controls on the scope, it will not adjust for the best display, despite "AUTOSET" being displayed on the screen.

It seems like his previous Owon scope tracked the signal for best display while the Autosetup was still activated, without having to press the button again.
Yes, that's exactly what I took from it too but why would designers have the scope devote resources from just being a scope ? Maybe his meaning was not clear.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: 807

Offline tony359

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2390 on: April 08, 2023, 09:37:36 pm »
Indeed the OWON has this interesting feature called "autoscale", which is separate from the autoset.

https://youtu.be/Wn-WZlTMTkc?t=173

I guess it could be useful for some specific signals. It actually looks nicely implemented on that scope.
Would I use it? Maybe, on some occasions I wished my scope didn't constantly require adjustments when changing signals. One scenario I'm thinking about is when I cannot physically reach out to the scope because both my hands are holding probes/boards/wires. Most of the time I would like to be in control of course.
It is useful? In some cases, why not.
Does it work with everything? I guess not, a random digital signal would probably confuse the algorithm.

What I have to disagree with is the "it's always been like that so it's ok" mentality, sorry.

So to answer Patrik96, the answer is NO, the Siglent does not have that feature. To be fair, I believe most of the scopes on the market don't have that, so kudos to Owon :) )

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2391 on: April 08, 2023, 11:14:23 pm »
...I guess it could be useful for some specific signals. It actually looks nicely implemented on that scope.
Would I use it? Maybe, on some occasions I wished my scope didn't constantly require adjustments when changing signals. One scenario I'm thinking about is when I cannot physically reach out to the scope because both my hands are holding probes/boards/wires...

Yep. Been in that situation many times myself.

Not that long ago I had a board with multiple momentary push switches. I was trying to monitor the pins on an IC while activating various switches. Nowhere to hook the scope probe onto, so could have done with either 3 hands or an autoranging scope to keep the various waveforms on screen.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: April 08, 2023, 11:33:00 pm »
Indeed the OWON has this interesting feature called "autoscale", which is separate from the autoset.

https://youtu.be/Wn-WZlTMTkc?t=173

I guess it could be useful for some specific signals. It actually looks nicely implemented on that scope.
Would I use it? Maybe, on some occasions I wished my scope didn't constantly require adjustments when changing signals.

Micsigs have it. My $35 mini-scope has it. They both work really well when you're poking around without knowing what to expect.

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: April 11, 2023, 09:07:00 pm »

They are warrantied for 1 year so claim a warranty replacement from your supplier.
It often is possible to capture a screenshot of the fault to support your claim.

i made a video and shared it :)

upd: you single touch the cable and see trash on the screen. On 1-2-3-4 channels no matter where.
here is a video, 2 probes (good yellow) and no-label cause doesn't work. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nDdjzDeuri6OztLnyysLr8ISGFqp_2tj/view?usp=sharing

So i asked them to put new probe in my next delivery they will send me (i paid an AWG also but they will be deliver it in beg of may only :/ ).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:13:49 pm by nikitasius »
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Offline mjj

• Contributor
« Reply #2394 on: April 12, 2023, 06:22:13 am »

Offline mjj

• Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: April 12, 2023, 06:25:06 am »
Oops, I mean posted 3rd April 2023…

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: April 12, 2023, 10:31:00 am »
New V6.1.37R10 firmware posted dated 4th March 2023:

https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/

Wonder what this firmware does? It's not included in the release notes.

Offline 807

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2397 on: April 12, 2023, 10:37:21 am »
It has been added to the siglentna site release notes though...

2023/3/27  6.1.37R10  1.  Optimized VGA configuration

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2398 on: April 12, 2023, 11:40:54 am »
It's the amplifier not the display I suppose, but still, is there any chance that Siglent start to optimize the ERES feature? Performa01 mentioned in his test that something in the display interface could be optimized, so I wonder whether we could have maybe a better math trace on a lower bandwith or some similar improvement to really get some extra bits. Maybe with fast changing gain levels or something? Not sure how could that be realized, but sometimes it could be really useful. And also the rival Rigol could not go anywhere near to it because it's much lower quality frontend. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:08:17 pm by Neutrion »

Offline inzekt

« Reply #2399 on: April 16, 2023, 11:03:13 am »
Hi, I'm facing a few problems with the 1000X–E I2C decoding capabilities. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when monitoring the SCL and SDA channels, I only get partial data segments. I'm watching I2C communication between an Arduino UNO R3 and an I2C LCD on the address 0x27. The trigger I use is for Serial / I2C 2.5V thresholds on both channels and triggering on the 7bit data type with an explicit address of 0x27 and Write bit.

The Arduino refreshes the screen in every 1s, cycling through data, and the scope triggers in every second as intended. It shows the right amount of messages, but the data payload does not seem to be alright. If I use Hex type outputs, it only shows one byte like 0x09, the ASCII corresponds to it as well, but the data does not seem to match the display itself.

1762511-0
1762523-1

One other issue is with the triggering. Even if I trigger at the 0x27 address, sometimes, with bigger sample rates, I get all kinds of data and it does not use the triggers. Also attached a picture of this state, where it clearly shows an address 0x48, what is clearly should be out of scope.

1762517-2

What am I doing wrong? Is it a limitation/bug with the scope?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 11:06:57 am by inzekt »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf