Author Topic: Siglent SDS1204X-E vs Rigol MSO5000  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1204X-E vs Rigol MSO5000
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 01:26:26 pm »
It's a general impression that I have after seeing some videos.
For example, videos from dave about MSO5000 bugs show a very slow touchscreen and sorts of lag when he turns the timebase knob.
Comparing to the Keysight MSOX3054, the MSO5000 seems to be very slow.

You mean a $12,000 'scope is faster than a $1,000 'scope?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 01:28:39 pm »
Have a look at this vid I did showing the SDS1104X-E webserver in action and you'll see some small latency on the 2nd and 3rd displays but nothing on the scope.

There's a very visible delay on the webserver.

At least it's not on the 'scope. We dodged a bullet there.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 02:09:59 pm »
Thanks Tautech. My 1104x-e is on the truck for delivery today, as is a T Link WiFi dongle. This is my first DSO outside of an Analog Discovery so there won't be any in depth revelations forthcoming :) I expect to set it up on my bench with the 25" monitor at the back of the bench where it always is. My expectation is to look at the scope screen while adjusting settings, then look up at the monitor, assuming there is something going on. The small latency, aka the very visible delay, that I saw on your YT demo seems very tolerable at this point, for my use. We shall see.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »
I know it is a little unfair...but not so unfair regarding the price range of the MSO5000 family.
Comparing to a R&S RTB2004 or a Keysight MSO2000, videos gives me the impression of some sort of lag when playing with vertical and horizontal knobs.

the only thing that will definitely make me buy the Rigol is that you can hack it.
Without that "feature" the top end version of the MSO5000 is overpriced IMHO.

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 05:29:01 pm »
It's a general impression that I have after seeing some videos.
For example, videos from dave about MSO5000 bugs show a very slow touchscreen and sorts of lag when he turns the timebase knob.
Comparing to the Keysight MSOX3054, the MSO5000 seems to be very slow.

You’re comparing a $900 scope to a $10,000 scope.  It’s expected there might be some performance difference.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 06:02:07 pm »
videos from dave about MSO5000 bugs show a very slow touchscreen and sorts of lag when he turns the timebase knob.

videos gives me the impression of some sort of lag when playing with vertical and horizontal knobs.

Inreal, the mso5000 doesn´t seem to be "slower" than other comparable ones - yes there is a lag by turning the knobs or zoom in/out.
But I want to have a look on a stable signal so I do the adjustments and have a look on it without further playing around on the knobs/display, so it doesn´t matter if there was a lag while adjusting the time/voltage.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 07:53:54 pm »
To be clear, I magnified the problem but the Rigol MSO5000 is not a 1000$ scope.
A full featured MSO5000 is not so cheap. It is brand new with tons of processing power and lags like a Owon XDS3000  |O

I have nothing against Rigol, im a little surprised by this regarding the fantastic specs.
I love when a UI is responsive, I play very often with zoom and horizontal knob and I find that lag is annoying, that's all.

I will buy one MSO5074 next week  so im not declaring a war against Rigol or their fanboys :P

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 09:01:44 pm »
I´m not a "fanboy" of rigol... ;)
In general you could have a different point of view as other people without being a fanboy…. :P

but the Rigol MSO5000 is not a 1000$ scope.

Sure it is, all the features/bandwith/memory are already implemented by the price of 1000$/€, they´re only locked by software.
The hardware is a 1000 buck thing, you can see it at the display, at the noisy fan, at the missing 50Ohm Input, at the missing external trigger Input...
They put the Ultra-Vision II technology as cheap as possible into a low-cost scope.
Result is an excellent bang for bucks scope - for 1000 bucks.
Even if this would cost double, it still can compete to other brands - but in one thing I´m with you:
I would never spend 5000 bucks for it, always in mind there is a R&S RTB scope at this price avaible.
Not meaning the lag-thing, even much more expensive scope do have it and it doesn´t worrying me.
No, the "power of ten" is still ruling in the class of 2500 bucks and above scopes.
If I had 3000 to spend for a scope, I wouldn´t go for any rigol model yet.
But for 1000...2000 I´ll go for and done it.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 07:40:32 am »
all the features/bandwith/memory are already implemented by the price of 1000$/€, they´re only locked by software

I know that. But it's exactly the same with almost all scope, spectrum analyser, arbitrary waveform generator, etc etc manufacturers.

Like you said, a full featured MSO5000 is in the same price range than R&S RTB2000 or the old Keysight MSO x 2000A so Im not comparing carrot to apple.
Look at the responsiness of the UI :
There is no lag and I don't think there is more processing power in the Agilent/keysight

IMHO, the lag in the Rigol is relative to software implementation but not hardware.
And with a better screen or a quieter fan, the scope will not cost twice as much.
It is a shame because for 100 bucks more, I would buy one without thinking.

If the RTB2000 was hackable, I seriously considering the R&S.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 08:05:46 am »
all the features/bandwith/memory are already implemented by the price of 1000$/€, they´re only locked by software

I know that. But it's exactly the same with almost all scope, spectrum analyser, arbitrary waveform generator, etc etc manufacturers.

Like you said, a full featured MSO5000 is in the same price range than R&S RTB2000 or the old Keysight MSO x 2000A so Im not comparing carrot to apple.

If R&S were hackable, they couldn't make them fast enough...
But it is not and Rigol is.
Even with Rigol unrealistic prices, there is still 500-600€ difference to fully loaded R&S 2000.
That buys you half the lab on a shoestring.

And Keysight 2000 series is HORRIBLE scope compared to, well, anything.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
If R&S were hackable, they couldn't make them fast enough...
But it is not and Rigol is.

I have a slightly different opinion.

I think R&S buyers don't need it hackable.

The Rigol ones expect it to be hackable...

It's 2 different mindsets but, with some effort, all can be hacked.

Online plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 10:57:44 am »

Now if price is truly not a factor at all, I would lean towards Keysight, RS, and Tek rather than the Rigol.  I have been using Keysight/Agilent exclusively so far, and the professionalism of their support organization is second to none and I have been extremely satisfied with them, knowing that my equipment will be supported, and parts available, for 15+ years. 

That 15 year parts availability would likely apply for Keysight's high end gear, but not certain that 15 year parts availability would be the case for the low end Keysight oscilloscopes. The service guide for the Keysight InfiniiVision 1000 X-Series Oscilloscopes says this:

"5 Replacing Assemblies
The service policy for all 1000 X-Series oscilloscopes is unit replacement, so there are no instructions for replacing internal assemblies in this service guide.

6 Replaceable Parts
Because the service policy for 1000 X-Series oscilloscopes is unit replacement, no replaceable parts are available for the Keysight 1000 X-Series oscilloscopes."

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/54612-97012.pdf

Once the 3 year warranty expires, I expect any repair from Keysight will involve paying for a full replacement, or perhaps a discount on a new model if they are feeling generous? Just making assumptions there so I could be completely wrong. Also I acknowledge that these low end oscilloscopes were probably not the ones you were referring to.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 01:37:08 pm »
You can have an extended warranty from Keysight which includes free repairs. AFAIK you can get this extended warranty even for equipment you bought used but I'd expect you have to send it in for calibration first so Keysight can check it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2019, 02:00:53 pm »
There is also no repair or spare parts except unit replacement for Keysight 3000 series..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf