Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs  (Read 50528 times)

teddychn and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs
« on: July 02, 2022, 10:51:12 pm »
Hi,

Starting a new one for the new one...
Bugs I don´t explore one so far, but missing features I got some on my wishlist.  ;)

Let me start with three.

- 4 mathchannels, nearly every 4-ch scope from other brands got this.
- Possibility to choose Black and White for "printing" the screen.
Choosing channel/function colours, this already exists - But not explicit for the "printing".
Means, you could different colours for on screen and what´s printing.
- Digital filters (HP, LP, BP) with the possibility to choose cutoff independend from the actual timebase.

This are the same features I´ve requested for my former SDS2K+.
I was told, for performance reasons this wouldn´t be possible(math) and I´ve accepted that.
But now I got a scope which costs more than double, they shouldn´t tell me the same again.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 05:00:19 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, TopQuark, Markus2801A

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 01:27:03 pm »
Bug:

After ending the Bode Analyze function, system returns to the last settings ( last several times...) but internal AWG still remains ON.
(Also with external AWG)

Another Bug :

No screenshots possible when Bode Analyzer is activated ( NO Operation, just the Mode)  :o
(Works after Restart)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:54:22 pm by Martin72 »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 04:46:35 pm »
Maybe a bug:

After ending Bode analyzer and returning, one channels´ratio will not turned back correctly.
My tests are with the 10x probes on 2 channels (ch1 and ch3), both were detected as 10x.
After ending Bode and falling back, ch3 is 1x, you have to plug out/in the probe again for 10x.

(Hope I described it nearly clear)

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 11:05:16 pm »
Feature request:

1. Bode plot - Speed

The speed of the bode plot is awful, especially compared to other scopes on the market. Hopefully the implementation can be improved to increase the speed.

2. Bode plot - Phase unwrap

When measuring a circuit with output inverted compared to input, the phase jumps from -180 deg to 180 deg frequently, polluting the graph. Would be nice if the phase can be unwrapped.

3. Acquisition - Low/High/Band pass filters

My first oscilloscope, the Rigol DS1052E, which I believe is more than 10 years old, had fast Low/High/Band pass filtering performed (I beleive) in hardware, and is extremely helpful for characterising analog signals, which I believe is what 12-bit scopes are really for. I really hope some form of LP/HP/BP filtering function can be added to the scope.

4. FFT - Logarithmic X axis

Would be very helpful to get an option to display the frequency scale in log scale, so that lower frequency content can be viewed more clearly on measurements spanning multiple decades.

5. FFT - Power/voltage density Y axis units (dBm/rt Hz, V/rt Hz)

Given how low noise the front end is, and with a 12 bit ADC + hardware 3-bit ERES, makes this instrument great at analysing noise - potentially. Having the ability to display Y-axis in units like dBm/rt Hz, V/rt Hz in addition to the Log X axis feature requested above, would turn this instrument into an alternative to dynamic signal analysers (DSA). Hopefully Siglent can be the first to be able to do this, given their recent launch of multiple 12 bit scopes, I'd actually happily pay for such a software option  :-DD.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:17 pm »
1. Bode plot - Speed

The speed of the bode plot is awful, especially compared to other scopes on the market.

Directly compared side by side or from your mind ?
And: by the same amount of points ?
Otherwise you can´t compare it.
I´ve did bode plot with maximum points between 10hz and 1Mhz (99 points/dec), this last long without a question.
But this won´t disturb me so much as the "fallback" time and the still activated generator and the not flawless recovered user settings on the channels before using bode.

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 11:32:35 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJPiJpY6oQ&ab_channel=Rudi%E2%80%99sElectronicsLab

Rudi recently compared the Bode Plot function between the Siglent, Keysight and R&S entry level scopes, although the SDS2000X Plus was shown in the video, not the HD, the HD is just as slow as the Plus in my experience.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 11:56:54 pm »
Don't have an HD but do have the X+. One thing about the comparisons for Bode Plots I recall was the SDSX+ averages multiple times before plotting the data point, think the HD does also, which can extend the overall Bode Plot time to render the entire plot.

Here's some comments on your (TQ) points.

#1) Ability to select number of sample averages would be be useful.

#2) Unwrap or ability to add phase offset.

#3) Various filter implementations (LP, BP, HP) including types (Butterworth, Bessel, Chebshev, FIR) and order.

#4) Maybe show a couple frequency marks within the decade when only one or two decades shown.

#5) dBm/rt(Hz) or V/rt(Hz) would be really nice.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 02:28:08 pm »
Feature request:

Bode Plot - External AWG channel selection

When using external AWG for performing bode plots, allow users to select which output channel to use for generating stimulus signal. Sometimes I have different setups for bode plot measurements, and it would be wonderful to not have to reach my AWG to swap out the cables every time. 

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 05:21:47 pm »
Bug :

When ERES is turned on, channel BW indicator should show resulting BW of measurement channel, or how much the BW is divided compared to "FULL", instead of showing "FULL", which according to the manual is not the case for ERES.

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 01:58:42 pm »
Feature request:

Add SCPI commands for controlling the Bode Plot function and retrieving data.

AFAIK, currently the only way to transfer the raw measurement data of the Bode Plot result to a computer, is by saving the data to a USB stick, and the only way to config and start a Bode Plot measurement is through the scope UI.

Would be really nice if the Bode Plot can be configured, launched and have data retrieved remotely using SCPI commands.

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 08:03:08 pm »
Hi,
"Enhanced" features for the bode plot:

If Siglent is "listening", this has demonstrated that the SDSX + and even better SDSX HD are capable of generating useful Impedance Plots. If they had the ability to plot a Resistance scaled Y axis then the display would be in dB ohms, and with the ability to do a short open calibration and utilize such in the display.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/east-tester-et4410-esr-measure/msg4337092/#msg4337092

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/capacitive-impedance-plots-with-sds2104x-plus-bode-function/msg4337104/#msg4337104

This would be a really nice thing and maybe not too complicated to realize.. :-+
I just wonder why none of the "siglent-near bys" in the forum react to the idea of mawyatt so far(like "forget it", "nice thing, will forwarded it", etc).

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 08:20:52 pm »
Hi,

After the first new FW release, the bug of closing the saving message manually still exist.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 12:46:09 pm »
Filemanager:

Can´t recognize the memory of the usb stick before, when it´s full it simply aborted it with a short failed message.
(Example: 8GB Stick is nearly full, nevertheless it starts to save data until stick is full)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 08:45:42 pm »
I wonder if someone from siglent or their testers takes notice about this thread..

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 05:32:18 am »
I wonder if someone from siglent or their testers takes notice about this thread..

I'm afraid that unfortunately not...
I guess they mostly rely on private bug reports from users. Some distributors, such as Tautech, seem to report problems described in the forum as well.

This topic is probably the most useful for users and potential people who want to buy this oscilloscope (evaluation of the number of errors).

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 07:57:23 am »

I guess they mostly rely on private bug reports from users. Some distributors, such as Tautech, seem to report problems described in the forum as well.

This topic is probably the most useful for users and potential people who want to buy this oscilloscope (evaluation of the number of errors).
Yes be afraid of a statement such that couldn't be further from the truth.

Martin, why do you even ask such when you know better.
Proving reported bugs takes time then more to write code to do the fix and it is not like a new firmware will be released for just one bug ! When a # have been solved and sent to beta testers for checking and another release is due then the public will get it.
2 weeks since the last release is a little to soon to expect miracles.
Last from 16/9/22
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS2000X_HD_V1.2.1.1_EN.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 08:25:09 am »

Lots of the stuff written in this topic are not bugs at all, but personal views of some users and even some wishful thinking.
Things you don't like how are implemented is not a bug. Some things will never be added because there is a limit what can be added.

This topic (and others) are monitored.. It's just that real bugs need to time to investigate, make a solution, test and then release.
Suggestions need to taken for consideration and vetted for validity and feasibility...
Sometimes what seems simple (just another button you press and something happens) takes major rewrite of the part of the software... Or is limited by hardware.. In this world of daily software patching, people forget that you cannot download new part of PCB via firmware update..

Also there must be understanding that a company won't publicly discuss (neither deny nor confirm) adding any features that might give it upper hand with competition..

With all that said, feedback is welcome... And there are many things added based on feedback, but it might not be noted by users because it seems logical or someone else requested it so their request is unknown to you ...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:23:00 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 11:57:35 am »
Martin, why do you even ask such when you know better.

I don´t expected to get an answer... ;)
Reactions here were a little bit low.
Example when thinking it´s a bug but it isn´t, post it.
Example when wishes are too "fantasy" because of limitations, post it.
But no reaction makes you think none take notice about.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:54:59 pm by Martin72 »

Offline danils

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 12:52:59 pm »
Hi Guys,

I confirm that on mine, after update to v1.2.1.1 the clock still "get confused". I set it to the right time and date and the next time I power it up, the clock is two hours ahead.
Can you check on yours?

Dan

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 05:33:49 pm »
Hi,

Setting the right time, switch it off and then on - Time remains with right adjustment.
But this was inbetween one minute, I´ll left it off till tomorrow, then check the time again.

Martin

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 08:46:41 pm »
Update, after 3 hours without power turned the scope on...
Date/Time remains the same as before, no problems so far.
Perhaps you did not confirm the settings correctly?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 08:55:35 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: danils

Offline danils

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2022, 12:07:55 pm »
Thank you Martin, I will check it again today.

Just a question, is your scope connected to LAN? Mine is not.
Edit: I also completely remove power from the mains when not in use.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:14:02 pm by danils »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2022, 12:49:43 pm »
Hi danils,
Yesterday power was completely off for 3hrs and it´s not connected to LAN.
Martin

Offline danils

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2022, 11:48:44 am »
Hi all,

I experimented again with the clock setting and I still experience what, afaik, looks like "clock getting confused" bug.
As you can see at the beginning of the video, firmware version is the last (1.2.1.1)

It displays 00:11, I set it to 22:11 and cycling power, time is back to 00:11

Do I miss something performing clock setting? The procedure I perform is the same showed in the user manual,

Please refer to the video below
https://youtu.be/2gQLOtG5NPU

« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:52:19 am by danils »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2022, 01:00:14 pm »
Hi,

After days where my scope was powered totally off, switched it on and the date/time is still correct...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf