Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs  (Read 50715 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2023, 10:34:30 pm »
Thank you. I have tried rapidly and repeatedly pressing the Math button during startup without success. I'll try again.
Replied to your PM and sorry we/I don't yet have a HD recovery package.
Contact Ohio:
support@siglentna.com

For our info, do you know the firmware version it was running, latest is V1.2.1.1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, JBK

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2023, 01:43:33 pm »
I'm wondering whether there is somewhere a counter how many times the scope has been already powered up. I'm pretty sure its not available in the scope system information. Is there a SCPI command which returns this information?

Offline JBK

« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2023, 02:55:13 pm »
Thanks to everyone who replied about the startup issue I was having. I finally got the 'MATH' button technique to work after about 30 or so restarts.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2023, 02:57:32 pm »
Thanks to everyone who replied about the startup issue I was having. I finally got the 'MATH' button technique to work after about 30 or so restarts.

OK now check if firmware is latest one. Also perform full factory reset of the scope. That should clean up any internal variables and settings to safe beginning values..

The following users thanked this post: JBK

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2023, 03:06:15 pm »
Keep pressing Math key at boot...Be persistent..
If it got stuck in some "unusual" internal stat that might help..

Which functionality is behind the Math button during the boot process?

Just saw, thats described in the SDS2000X HD service manual (page 57) as troubleshooting procedure. Maybe starting the scope with default parameters or so.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 01:09:47 pm by Ulrich.G »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2023, 08:00:14 pm »
I'm wondering whether there is somewhere a counter how many times the scope has been already powered up. I'm pretty sure its not available in the scope system information. Is there a SCPI command which returns this information?
It's carefully tucked away in the PW protected Developer Options. Best you keep outta there  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Ulrich.G

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2023, 08:10:54 pm »
I know the PW - By three we both are writing it down here and see if it´s the same.
One, two... ;)

Offline JBK

« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2023, 08:19:09 pm »
OK now check if firmware is latest one. Also perform full factory reset of the scope. That should clean up any internal variables and settings to safe beginning values..

I'm running the latest 1.2.1.1 firmware. I'll perform a factory reset. It's looking like this was just a one-off incident. The scope has been stable otherwise.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2023, 08:23:13 pm »

I'm running the latest 1.2.1.1 firmware. I'll perform a factory reset. It's looking like this was just a one-off incident. The scope has been stable otherwise.
Also Secure Erase which IIRC is in the Save/Recall menu. This will erase all User settings.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: JBK

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2023, 07:33:59 am »
I know the PW - By three we both are writing it down here and see if it´s the same.
One, two... ;)

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:06:54 am by Ulrich.G »

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2023, 08:06:05 am »
It's carefully tucked away in the PW protected Developer Options. Best you keep outta there  ;)

I'm wondering why Siglent hides this, in their SPD3303X series power supplies its displayed on an info screen.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2023, 09:27:40 am »

I'm wondering why Siglent hides this, in their SPD3303X series power supplies its displayed on an info screen.
Since the new DSO UI was released in SDS5000X the boot # info has been hidden whereas all previous DSO's it was available. Maybe they no longer think it's important to anyone.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2023, 08:26:34 am »
...but who has CD players these days ?  :-//

I keep a SATA DVD drive in an powered enclosure with a USB cable.   I also have a USB floppy drive.    Both are occasionally useful.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2023, 12:13:51 am »
I wonder when the next update will come... :popcorn:
The longer it lasts the better it gets, I hope.

It will be superior I guess... 8)

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2023, 07:13:46 am »
Probe readout pin customisation

I recently got myself a couple of Cal Test CT4200 x1 probes, they have a readout pin connected to ground with 1k ohms. When I plug the probe in, the scope recognises the probe is plugged in, but sets the input attenuation setting to 10x.

I measured the original probes that came with the SDS2kX HD (SP5050A), and the resistance between readout pin and ground is 11k ohms.

The scope recognises everything between a short to 49k ohms as a 10x probe being plugged in.

While there don't seem to be standards stating the readout pin resistance vs attenuation setting, perhaps the scope can let users set custom resistance ranges to match the probe attenuation setting? (assuming the readout pin resistance is read with an ADC)

As it stands, the scope's behaviour may lead to erroneous readings with certain probes. I know this is an edge case, but point still stands.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2023, 07:41:10 am »
Probe readout pin customisation

I recently got myself a couple of Cal Test CT4200 x1 probes, they have a readout pin connected to ground with 1k ohms. When I plug the probe in, the scope recognises the probe is plugged in, but sets the input attenuation setting to 10x.

I measured the original probes that came with the SDS2kX HD (SP5050A), and the resistance between readout pin and ground is 11k ohms.

The scope recognises everything between a short to 49k ohms as a 10x probe being plugged in.

While there don't seem to be standards stating the readout pin resistance vs attenuation setting, perhaps the scope can let users set custom resistance ranges to match the probe attenuation setting? (assuming the readout pin resistance is read with an ADC)

As it stands, the scope's behaviour may lead to erroneous readings with certain probes. I know this is an edge case, but point still stands.
100%

Unfortunately the only sense probes properly recognised are 10x in 2000 class DSO's.  :-[
I've thrown mud about this and it seems only the more upmarket models get the attenuation ratios correct.  :horse:

For other than 10x you need set attenuation manually.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2023, 08:44:47 am »
100%

Unfortunately the only sense probes properly recognised are 10x in 2000 class DSO's.  :-[
I've thrown mud about this and it seems only the more upmarket models get the attenuation ratios correct.  :horse:

For other than 10x you need set attenuation manually.  ::)

Maybe its time that at least the active probes are not longer controlled by proprietary connectors but by USB interface. There seems to be an unspoken agreement to support active probes only by oscilloscopes with a bandwidth higher than 500Mhz. Am I wrong with that?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:24:59 am by Ulrich.G »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2023, 10:21:52 pm »
Maybe its time that at least the active probes are not longer controlled by propietary connectors but by USB interface. There seems to be an unspoken agreement to support active probes only by oscilloscopes with a bandwidth higher than 500Mhz. Am I wrong with that?
Yes, it that the only thing that seems drive manufacturers is to capture users into their ecosystem with these horrible proprietary connectors......only horrible in that you can't use them on another brand.

Oh don't worry, many or us behind the scenes have asked for USB powered active probes instantly recognised by the instruments SW and input attenuation and measurement units automatically set to match. However would it be a massive hardship to take active probes to another brand and set them up manually ?

It's not like this is rocket science, our phones have been recognised by PC's for years.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2023, 09:19:06 pm »
Hi,

We had already addressed this here months ago, but gladly repeated again:
It would be very good if you could choose the labeling of the vertical axis on the left or right side... 8)

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2023, 02:15:30 am »
Feature Request:

Allow Ch3/Ch4 and Math channel as source for X/Y mode.

I recently ideated about the possibility to measure B-H curves with a scope:

Say you have to characterize a ferrite core, I think the gist of it would look something like: Wind two winding, primary for magnetizing the core, secondary winding for sensing.

- AWG drives primary, an amplifier is probably needed to get reasonable current into the primary to drive it into saturation.
- Measure current into primary + have user input number of pri turns and you get field strength (H), roughly.
- Measure and integrate secondary voltage + have user input number of sec turns and you get flux density (B), roughly.
- Plot in XY and you should have a BH curve.
- Stuff like saturation flux density, coercive force, remanence, hysteresis losses etc. can be calculated with maths.
- Some kind of offset/servo is probably needed to keep the secondary voltage integration in check.
- AWG allows measurement of B-H curves across different frequencies.

I wanted to give it a try with the 2000X HD, but XY mode only support Ch1 and Ch2 as source, but not other physical channels nor math channels  :scared:

I really don't want to build an actual integrator circuit to plot B-H curves, when the scope hardware and software is more than capable to do it itself!  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, colorado.rob, Martin72

Online seronday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2023, 10:23:31 am »
Zone Trigger Issue.

It appears that the Siglent SDS2000X HD has a Zone Trigger issue similar to the one found in the SDS2000X Plus as described in
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg4428769/#msg4428769

On the SDS2000X HD, the Zone Trigger function also fails to trigger at certain frequencies.

The same test as used for the SDS2104X Plus was applied to the SDS2104X HD.

That is, a signal which consists of a Low amplitude pulse followed by a High amplitude pulse.
The objective is to have the oscilloscope only trigger on the Low amplitude pulse and not on both pulses.

The SDS2104X HD is configured as follows:-

Time / Div    100us
Rising Edge Trigger
Fast Acquisation Mode
Zone trigger 1 is set as "Not Intersect" and placed above the Edge Trigger level in the area where the Higher amplitude pulse would be.

The frequency of the test signal is taken from the SDS On Screen frequency display

An example of the test results is listed below:-

Triggering works correctly :-    4638Hz to 4982Hz.
   Triggering Fails :-                     4984Hz to5306Hz
   Triggering works correctly :-    5308Hz to 5636Hz

This pattern keeps repeating

Attached are two screen prints.
 One shows when the Zone Trigger is working. The other shows when the Zone Trigger has Failed.

The frequency ranges where the Zone Trigger Fails depends on the Time / Div , Memory settings and Fast or Slow Aquisation mode.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2023, 11:02:33 am »
Zone Trigger Issue.

It appears that the Siglent SDS2000X HD has a Zone Trigger issue similar to the one found in the SDS2000X Plus as described in
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg4428769/#msg4428769

On the SDS2000X HD, the Zone Trigger function also fails to trigger at certain frequencies.

The same test as used for the SDS2104X Plus was applied to the SDS2104X HD.

That is, a signal which consists of a Low amplitude pulse followed by a High amplitude pulse.
The objective is to have the oscilloscope only trigger on the Low amplitude pulse and not on both pulses.

The SDS2104X HD is configured as follows:-

Time / Div    100us
Rising Edge Trigger
Fast Acquisation Mode
Zone trigger 1 is set as "Not Intersect" and placed above the Edge Trigger level in the area where the Higher amplitude pulse would be.

The frequency of the test signal is taken from the SDS On Screen frequency display

An example of the test results is listed below:-

Triggering works correctly :-    4638Hz to 4982Hz.
   Triggering Fails :-                     4984Hz to5306Hz
   Triggering works correctly :-    5308Hz to 5636Hz

This pattern keeps repeating

Attached are two screen prints.
 One shows when the Zone Trigger is working. The other shows when the Zone Trigger has Failed.

The frequency ranges where the Zone Trigger Fails depends on the Time / Div , Memory settings and Fast or Slow Aquisation mode.

What FW are you running please?

Online seronday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2023, 11:47:46 am »
FW Ver. is   1.2.11

Regards

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2023, 09:20:02 pm »
From the 2k Plus thread:

The beta has only been available for a few weeks so maybe they're ironing out a few issues however that indicates it's quite close. ;)

Well, (I) we made a table of bugs/wishes a couple of months ago, let´s see which points we can cross off then. ;)
For example, if the four math channels should really come and then still work without great performance losses, that would be a great success(for the users and for siglent).
I'm curious to see whether the 5000X will follow suit and especially what will happen with the Siglent/lecroy models (WS3000Z, WS4000HD).

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2023, 09:40:41 pm »
Hi,

Maybe I´ve found a bug:
Decoding..
Thresholds of the signals are getting lost after restarting the scope.
Example you set the threshold on both channel used (UART, RX/TX) to 1.6V and data will be displayed, after restart no data because the thresholds are now 3.63V on one channel and 743mV on the other.

Martin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf