Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 151528 times)

Offline phil67ago

Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2021, 11:10:42 am »
Hi (again)
Here is another thing.

When I trigger on a digital sequence it would be nice to be able move the center mark position.

Let say you trigger on a longer sequence with 50ms/div time.
Then for going into details I change the time base to 5ms/div.
Going up and down in time base is easy when the trigger point is on the horizontal center mark (Pushed Zero on the horizontal knob).
But everything before the trigger point is not interesting so I move the trigger point to the left.
I will now see more what happens after trigger point.
But if you change scale (let say 1ms/div) your trigger point fly's left and you have to adjust horizontal position.

This movment when the time base is changed is timely unnecessary thing and would easly be solved if the center marked could be moved.

Maybe this can already be done......

I found it!!!
It's under UTILITY / Reference Pos / Horizontal Ref Pos.
Nice  :-+
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:25:54 am by phil67ago »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #476 on: June 09, 2021, 12:13:14 pm »
Good.

Also bit exercise and perhaps you find these your previous message cursors also works. Just tried and what ever I do I can not find or hit situation what you told. I did even "blind monkey"  and  "never used oscilloscope before"  tests procedures and still no problem with cursors. Naturally it do not proof something*  do not exist (*something because your explanation was not completely gapless). Proofing that something do not exist is difficult. Proofing something exist is more practical so next is for it.

If you find/feel still there IS some problem/error, then please, reset your scope to well known factory initial state and start from it. Then write down all steps so that all can repeat exactly. (so that it can repeat fully and exactly just as you, and with images.)  If there is error what can repeat, it makes more easy to repair it.   ;)

With new instrument learning curve is... every day you find new things and there is - lot.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:19:10 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

Offline phil67ago

« Reply #477 on: June 09, 2021, 02:21:09 pm »
Yes, as you say learning curve  ^-^

Fond that CURSORS / CursorX Ref: Position, changed the behavior to some what more normal mode.
Also UTILITY / Reference Pos / Horizontal Ref: Position has an impact on this.
Seems that I had these 2 in Delayed.

Wonder if I can get the cursors to follow when I change horizontal time base?
As now they are screen-fixed and delta read-out change when time base is changed.

Offline aperture16

« Reply #478 on: June 10, 2021, 02:24:02 am »
I searched this thread and didn't find the NFC decode option. Keysight has an application note https://www.keysight.com/us/en/assets/7018-05761/application-notes/5992-2337.pdf?success=true to do the NFC decode step-by-step. SDS2000X plus also has a Manchester decode option. Can it be used to decode NFC?

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #479 on: August 11, 2021, 03:48:43 pm »
I asked about this in the main thread, but didn't get any replies, so I assume this is not possible in the current firmware. Consider these as feature requests.

I don't have this scope, but I'm curious of a couple of things for audio use.

1. There was a post a while ago asking about getting THD calculated when using the FFT. Any news about that?

2. Would be nice to be able to display watts, and perhaps the formula editor could be the way to go. I can't see any way of using measurements in the editor however. Is it possible to enter something like this? RMS(C1) * RMS(C1) / 8
Ideally it would be a custom "measurement" since it doesn't need a trace, but I can't see a way of doing that.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #480 on: September 05, 2021, 01:19:38 pm »
Some more feature requests.

1. WiFi has been mentioned before. Would be nice with an AC-dongle that supports the 5GHz band.
2. NTP support, recently released for the SDS1000X-E series so maybe big brother can get that too.
3. Related - time zone support, also added to SDS1000X-E. Screenshot files have the wrong time metadata associated since the time zone is missing.
4. Option to use the date and time (sortable format) in the filename of screenshots instead of a counter. Sometimes it's nice to remove old screenshots from the memory stick, but then the counter resets (atleast the SDS1000X-E does that), and I get duplicate filenames on my computer so I can't put them in the same folder.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2021, 05:41:44 pm »
Probably I'm alone with this request, but letting aside the zooming by "drawing" a rectangle area and the ability to measure frequencies also for falling edges, I also miss the ability of LeCroy scopes to measure (y) values of all the channels for a cursor position. E.g. even the WS3000 will display the values for all channels for each of the two cursor positions. For the SDS5000X/2000X there is only one (y) value that can be displayed for one cursor. So to measure two values at the same position (e.g. voltage and current), you need both cursors instead of one. Which makes it impossible to measure more than two values, letting aside all four values at two positions. This is somewhat limiting in some situations, specifically for screenshots to document one or two certain states.

To illustrate this, here's a screenshot where I used to cursors to measure two different voltages at a specific position. It' s OK for this case, but to with two cursors measuring both (or all) values, I could have marked the start and end of that little dent on channel 1.
1263895-0

This being said, there's another great feature of LeCroy scopes which I miss on my SDSX5000, namely the visualization of the current signal rising/falling state that's very helpful when placing cursors. I.e. when trying to place a cursor on a falling edge, a LeCroy scope will help you find that edge manually by painting a rising or falling arrow at the cursor position. So if the signal is currently falling, the arrow fill be placed at the x/y position of the current sample, pointing down. If the signal is currently rising, the arrow will point up instead. So you can safely place the cursor in the middle of the edge without zooming in.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2021, 06:27:38 pm »
Finally, Siglent has published a new firmware version for the SDS200x Plus Version 1.3.9R4. The Revision record shows quite many added features and bug fixes.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #483 on: September 07, 2021, 02:02:49 am »
Bug in the latest firmware (1.3.9R4): if you have all non-bandwidth licensed options enabled permanently (i.e., you've put in a license code for all of them), attempting to access the options page from the utility menu will hang the scope solid and will close any SCPI connections to it as well.  Sounds like a hard crash to me.  Deleting the license for one of the options makes the options page work again.

If I weren't such a wuss, I'd open up my scope and attach to the serial header to see what the console messages have to say.  But it's certainly sufficient to say that this appears to be a real bug, easily reproduced.

We might end up seeing another firmware update in the relatively near future as a result of this.  One can always hope.  :)

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2021, 05:46:35 am »
Interesting. How do you delete and option using the SCPI commands?

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #485 on: September 07, 2021, 07:22:07 am »
I have all options enabled, including bandwidth upgrades, and experience no hanging around the options screen  :-//

(I'm not saying there isn't a bug, just that it is fine on mine)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:26:50 am by tubularnut »

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #486 on: September 07, 2021, 08:27:18 am »
Did you enable the MSO option as well?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: September 07, 2021, 08:38:26 am »
But it's certainly sufficient to say that this appears to be a real bug, easily reproduced.

Up till now, it looks like only you have the "bug" so I wouldn't call it "easily reproduced".

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2021, 08:41:17 am »
Did you enable the MSO option as well?

Yes, LA/MSO enabled.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #489 on: September 07, 2021, 12:23:11 pm »
Interesting. How do you delete and option using the SCPI commands?
Removing a license on the SDS2000X+ can be done by

LIC:DEL MANC
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:27:01 pm by Orange »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2021, 08:04:49 pm »
I have all options enabled, including bandwidth upgrades, and experience no hanging around the options screen  :-//

(I'm not saying there isn't a bug, just that it is fine on mine)

Hi,

Same here !

Just did the upgrading a few minutes ago, no problems at all.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2021, 09:00:43 pm »
But it's certainly sufficient to say that this appears to be a real bug, easily reproduced.

Up till now, it looks like only you have the "bug"

I'm not the only one.  In fact, I reported it only because someone else reported it and I attempted to reproduce it (successfully).  Here's the first mention of the issue: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg3671614/#msg3671614

so I wouldn't call it "easily reproduced".

Turns out that this won't reproduce unless you have a lower bandwidth than the full 500 MHz enabled.  In my case, I was at the stock 100 MHz bandwidth on my scope. 

When I took it to 500 MHz, the problem disappeared.  I haven't tried it with any of the intermediate bandwidth options, nor have I tried reverting back to 100 MHz.  I can try that and report my findings.

So, the necessary conditions seem to be:

1.  A lower-than-maximum bandwidth
2.  All non-bandwidth options enabled.

EDIT: I lowered the bandwidth to 350 MHz and, sure enough, the problem reproduced.  As such, it's clear that if you have any bandwidth upgrade options available to you, the problem will probably reproduce.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:10:00 pm by kcbrown »

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #492 on: September 12, 2021, 10:57:34 am »
It was pointed out in the main thread that firmware updates are not cumulative. This should be documented in the firmware update instructions.

The last FW update has about half the size oft the preceding updates.
Thats interesting ?

No problem. All help/language files what have no changes do not need update.

But that means it's not a cumulative update, but requires a certain minimum version to build upon?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #493 on: September 13, 2021, 07:39:45 pm »
Hi,

Axis-labeling (new firmware update) is a fine and useful thing - but this feature needs to be polish...

When activating, the (vertical)scales covering a part of the grid - and four digits after the comma displaying makes no sense also...
How it should be, see my pics taken from a lecroy scope.

Martin

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #494 on: September 13, 2021, 07:43:33 pm »
Hi,

Axis-labeling (new firmware update) is a fine and useful thing - but this feature needs to be polish...

When activating, the (vertical)scales covering a part of the grid - and four digits after the comma displaying makes no sense also...

Martin
What does Fine V/div look like on the LeCroy ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #495 on: September 13, 2021, 07:51:27 pm »
Fine adjust I didn´t check(could do it tomorrow), but I´ve got a pic, when you´ve moved the "zero line"...

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: September 13, 2021, 10:00:11 pm »
Hi,

Martin

There are two possible styles here, writing inside and outside graticule. One writes on top (not nice sometimes) other write outside but makes usable graticule size smaller. Keysight writes on top like 2000X+ is now. LeCroy sacrifices some millimeters of screen to make nice looking graphs. 

It's a compromise. I personally work with Keysight and got used to this way. It doesn't bother me anymore, as long as there are labels. They are super useful. I agree LeCroy looks nicer, but they have screen and resolution to spare..

I believe crazy precise, long numbers are known to Siglent and presume they will work it out.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #497 on: September 13, 2021, 10:24:09 pm »
I like the lecroy style more and could live with the screen spare... 8)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #498 on: September 14, 2021, 07:42:58 am »
Fine adjust I didn´t check(could do it tomorrow), but I´ve got a pic, when you´ve moved the "zero line"...

OK just played with this on my SDS5000X and it seems there are a couple of modes when graticule values (Axis Labels) ​are ON.

Below in Moving mode with H-Pos, V-Pos and V-Fine engaged graticules move when H-Pos and/or V-Pos are adjusted to maintain the 0V and 0s positions and vertical scaling gets changed with Fine although the 0V position will not depart from its graticule.

Should work exactly the same with SDS2000X Plus.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #499 on: September 14, 2021, 09:16:15 am »
Should work exactly the same with SDS2000X Plus
Almost, besides the four trailing digits, which just clutter the screen.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf