Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 150485 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2020, 08:26:48 am »
:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
The scope is working again! Just a breeze, two files on FAT32 USB reboot wait a minute and it is up and running. Further I have the impression a new firmware release is coming up.
Them is always fixing little things.  ;)

Look at screenshot, also the web interface is a bit different. Once in instrument control mode the left navigation stuff disappears and the only way back is via the history buttons of the browser. No big deal, don't know if it is intended or a bug.
Esc (Escape) IIRC pops you back to the Welcome page and/or gets you back from full screen mode.

Enjoy.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:35:04 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline jvenema

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2020, 08:35:06 am »
The AWG is gone from the options, I noticed. And I see the table bug with the FFT is gone  :-+ :-+
Also the C is back in "AC1M"
The esc key does bring me back from full screen, but not back from the instrument control screen to the home screen, but as said no big issue here.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2020, 08:37:18 am »
The esc key does bring me back from full screen, but not back from the instrument control screen to the home screen, but as said no big issue here.
Then try your browser Back button, that should get you to the Welcome page.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2020, 08:49:00 am »
Well into OT. Time to move on...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2020, 09:38:27 am »
Well into OT. Time to move on...
Not at all.
Webrowser navigation shortcuts are not mentioned in the manual at all so it's a missing feature.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline THD

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:51 am »
Has anybody else noticed that Video Sync as a trigger option is not working as expected ?

I've set the trigger to PAL, on line 1 field 1, but it seems that at different timebases triggering happens at either field 1 or field 2 randomly; and sometimes on both field 1 and field 2.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:48:29 am by THD »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2020, 09:49:04 am »
Has anybody else noticed that Video Sync as a trigger option is not working as expected ?

I've set the trigger to PAL, on line 1 field 1, but it seems that at different timebases triggering happens at either field 1 or field 2 randomly; and sometimes on both field 1 and field 2.
Does increasing Holdoff help ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline THD

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2020, 09:52:30 am »
There is no option for holdoff when Video is the trigger type, unless I'm completely blind and just not seeing it!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2020, 09:57:44 am »
There is no option for holdoff when Video is the trigger type, unless I'm completely blind and just not seeing it!
Check the Trigger menu scroll bar on the edge of the display is to the bottom to see all the menu.
A mouse with a scroll wheel makes this easy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline THD

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2020, 11:32:28 am »
Definitely no hold off.

I just think its a bug, that video trigger doesn't get field selection correct. On my Tektronix it works as expected.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline jvenema

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2020, 12:23:07 pm »
Wrong source mentioned in function dialog. I have the AWG output connected to channel 3 and added function 1, with as operation the eres, just as an example.
I've selected C3 as source but it is displayed as RES.
C1 becomes C
C2 becomes Z
C3 -> RES
C4 -> F
With Z1-Z4 or an F selected as input it is displayed as @@@
The functionali itself looks ok.

Note that because of a boot problem which needed an recover from a boot USB, I'm on an alpha or Beta version of 1.3.5R6 of the software.

While we are on the subject of ERES, does the additional resolution add up to the 10 bits resolution if that is selected, or is it always in addition to the 8 bits. And why is it so slow, other scopes, do it on the fly, like the 10 bits mode on the SDS2000X plus does. So why is there a lag? And the selection of the mode is perhaps not the most user friendly in the sense, that if you want to use it, you want as much resolution as possible and you know the needed bandwidth. Why not have a mode that you specify the bandwidth that is needed for the measurement and that then based on that you get the best resolution. When doing e.g. an audio measurement a bandwidth of 100kHz is more than enough, so let it then calculate what it can do from there.

I think this also touches the discussion about memory depth and history etc. The sample rate can be high and there is memory, but not always it is used in the most practical manner given the possible use cases.

Is there some documentation about the *.ref file format?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:24:42 pm by jvenema »

Offline THD

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2020, 12:56:07 pm »
Related to my issue with video triggering, I was disappointed that the source for video trigger could only be analogue channels 1 to 4. So ...

Feature request : Allow selecting external trigger source as one of the sources for video triggering.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46:43 am »
Bug:

Power on state is partly setting to defaults instead of last used, example given:
When awg is active and a waveform selected, then turning the scope off, turn it on - the awg remains off and the selected waveform has changed to "DC".

Wanted features:

Decoding: Bitrate displaying and search function adding (last is really useful).
Further it would be nice when decoding of ir-codes (like RC-5, RECS80, NEC ir..) could be added - Afaik none scope got this and therefore it would be a unique feature to have on siglent scopes only.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:56:22 pm by Martin72 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2020, 12:01:05 pm »
Bug:

Power on state is partly setting to defaults instead of last used, example given:
When awg is active and a waveform selected, then turning the scope off, turn it on - the awg remains off and the selected waveform has changed to "DC".

Wanted features:

Decoding: Bitrate displaying and search function adding (last is really useful).
Further it would be nice when decoding of ir-codes (like RC-5, RECS80, NEC ir..) could be added - Afaik none scope got this and therefore it would be unique feature.
AWG should be in the OFF mode after reboot for safety reasons, but yes, other settings should not change.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline THD

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2020, 12:13:33 pm »
Do any of the bugs and feature requests in this thread actually make their way to Siglent?

If not, what is the best route to use so that Bugs/Features do come to their attention?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »
AWG should be in the OFF mode after reboot for safety reasons.

Ah, ok..
But the bodeplot thing must be a bug ( activate bode, awg turns on (of course), but deactivate bode, awg remains on and the last channel settings bode used will remain, instead returning to last user settings).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2020, 12:25:12 pm »
Do any of the bugs and feature requests in this thread actually make their way to Siglent?

If not, what is the best route to use so that Bugs/Features do come to their attention?
Yep, Siglent, some of their beta testers and distributors have been members here for some years.
Members start these threads although issues could also be posted here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline THD

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2020, 12:42:26 pm »
 :-+   Great.

Offline jvenema

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2020, 07:23:59 pm »
Because of a boot failure I received an repair image for on an USB stick and are thus on a Alpha or Beta release of 1.3.5R6.
I noticed that the Table in the FFT function has a wrong header if "Show Delta" is on and  "Show Frequency" is off.
See screen shot.

Further I noticed that the Bode plot never stops it goes over and over and over again. I do not know if that is itended behaviour, but it doesn't do any averaging it just writes over the last bode plot, so I see no use of it, so why not stop after one parse. Further as many others have notices there are sometimes strange dips or peaks in the bode plot.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2020, 07:41:31 pm »
Beta release of 1.3.5R6.

Aha....they fixed the info boxes  :D :-+

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 05:08:58 am »

Further I noticed that the Bode plot never stops it goes over and over and over again. I do not know if that is itended behaviour, but it doesn't do any averaging it just writes over the last bode plot, so I see no use of it, so why not stop after one parse. Further as many others have notices there are sometimes strange dips or peaks in the bode plot.

I can see severe reasons...
And if you want one sweep, why not stop it after it have done it.  Of course if there is severe reason users can ask if Siglent can some day implement also single sweep to BP. Perhaps useful in cases when sweep is very long time and user can go to coffee break and leave scope for finish sweep.

But there is lot of things when it need run continuously...
SFRA can seriously use example for adjusting, fine adjusting many kind of filters, example some receiver narrow IF filters etc etc. Some higher order filters can be quite complex to adjust. How you do it if it average or stop after one shot. It is better to leave your hands free for some times very sensitive and complex tuning work what you need fully concentrate and not interrupted for repetitive handle scope. It need sweep and repeat without interrupting.

AFAI Siglent is working for improve it but it is not of course in highest priority in any "need to do" list..  Some dips can also avoid if setup BP system so that it do not switch automatically between scope main voltage bands.
There is also old thread about SFRA but based to SDS1004X-E. Functionally not big basic differences in SDS2kXPlus. I think this BodePlot ( aka SFRA) thread is perhaps useful to read.

I believe it is also doing internally some averaging (but not quite useless trace average).  Together fact it is internally based to 3 frequency selective receiver(s) for DUT outputs so it have also lot of attenuation out of swept current frequency.  It is quite complex system and Generator stepping control and receiver timing is bit critical. And receiver front have these voltage band selection relays. But also same time there is other things stepping. In some frequency points during wide sweeps it also switch receiver RBW. Just like example spectrum analyzer Resolution Band Width but not visible for user.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:23:42 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline jvenema

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:00 am »
I can see the use, if you are adjusting things and keep your hands free.

In my case I just want the bode plot of an existing circuit as is. And the point is, often the first parse is oke and the chance of getting strange dips and peaks seems to increase with the iterations. So I want it to stop after a single parse and still be able to walk away and grab some tea.

I had it a few times that the start of the bode plot was oke, I went away to have a drink, because even a single sweep takes time and when I'm back it is busy with a 2nd or 3th iteration and I have a glitch at the start of the bode plot and I have to wait till some iteration that I have no glitch.

I only need a single sweep without a glitch. I will read your link, to see if there if I can find something to lower the chance of having a glitch. But to me an option to either stop after a single sweep or run it continuously seems a valid thing.

Further if I do a sweep in REW via a sound card the sweep takes 10-20 seconds, the same here will take considerably longer. I know REW can not scale up to higher frequencies (but the resolution is much higher), but still in the same range the difference in time is huge. But given the time it takes, it is normal to walk away from it.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2020, 11:59:10 am »
I can see the use, if you are adjusting things and keep your hands free.

In my case I just want the bode plot of an existing circuit as is. And the point is, often the first parse is oke and the chance of getting strange dips and peaks seems to increase with the iterations. So I want it to stop after a single parse and still be able to walk away and grab some tea.

I had it a few times that the start of the bode plot was oke, I went away to have a drink, because even a single sweep takes time and when I'm back it is busy with a 2nd or 3th iteration and I have a glitch at the start of the bode plot and I have to wait till some iteration that I have no glitch.

I only need a single sweep without a glitch. I will read your link, to see if there if I can find something to lower the chance of having a glitch. But to me an option to either stop after a single sweep or run it continuously seems a valid thing.

Further if I do a sweep in REW via a sound card the sweep takes 10-20 seconds, the same here will take considerably longer. I know REW can not scale up to higher frequencies (but the resolution is much higher), but still in the same range the difference in time is huge. But given the time it takes, it is normal to walk away from it.

Have you looked if it switch voltage band during sweep and specially around where glitch exist.
Im thousands of km far away my workbench so I can not try anything. Also I do not remember all due to fact my memory best before date is expired. Previously I have suspected least some spikes are from scope front end Voltage band change (you can hear these relays).
I recommend least try shut off Channel Gain Auto and find and set suitable signal amplitude and scope V/div setting and run with Auto Gain off.  Also afterwards vertical scales and position can change. ( all traces drawing are based to freq, amp, phase table where values can also exceed display vertical area) It produce data table when it sweep independent of your display settings what you use in runtime. Disclaimer: My all experience with Siglent SFRA is with SDS1x04X-E's.
(explanation and picture 3a in this msg tell bit more about this data table what it use for drawing.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1x04x-e-bodeplot-ii-(sfra)-features-and-testing-(coming)/msg2453667/#msg2453667
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline jvenema

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2020, 12:34:35 pm »
I read true the thread you recommended and the plan was to try without the auto thing on. I heard indeed the relais, but I do not remember if those switching moments coincide with the dips or peaks, I will give it a try, but it seems logical that it can have such an effect.
Another thing to look at closely is the table. I put it on and it was populated. in successive runs the table part was on the screen, but no values were put in it while making the bode plot.  I will pay more attention to this in the next measurements to see what is happening there, perhaps I must just put on a switch somewhere.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2020, 04:20:39 pm »
The table bug is real. I've reported it earlier already.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf