Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 151143 times)

Offline ElasiaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2020, 04:57:05 pm »
New bug:

Fail to load arb waveform files.. appears to be file mismanagement

cp /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin
cp: can't stat '/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin': No such file or directory
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info"
I/O error : Read-only file system

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:39 pm »
Bug:

Same like using the bode plot, the power analyzing function won´t switch back to the prior user settings after deactivating.

Offline gekam

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2020, 11:06:45 am »
Trigger Bug:

Signal on C1 has slow slope AND

C1 = DC Trigger Edge Alternating AND Measure (C1,V4, ...) active, C1 trigger only on rising Slope

C1 = DC Trigger Edge Alternating AND Measure (C1,V4, ...) AND Noise reject active, C1 trigger only on falling Slope

C1 = DC Trigger Edge Alternating AND Measure (C1,V4, ...) AND Zone on (Zone 1,2 off) active, C1 trigger on both Edge (alternating)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2020, 08:50:39 pm »
Bug:

Measures....

For example, the first 2 (simple mode) should displaying values from ch.1, you set it up, it will be displayed.
The next 2 should displaying values from say ch.2, you the choose value for 3 and then you change the channel - ALL values are now on the channel you´ve selected.

Offline Vestom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2020, 01:14:03 pm »
A couple of bugs noticed on software version 1.3.5R5:

AWG Noise generator periodic with previous Sine frequency

When using the noise output it is obviously a pseudorandom sample buffer that is repeated. However the repetition period depends upon the frequency of a previously selected Sine frequency. E.g. if a 1kHz Sine was previously output, the noise will be periodic with 1ms and will be visibly stepped due to too few samples being available. Or if a 1MHz Sine was previously output, the noise will be periodic with 1us and will be visibly undersampled and non-white due to not using the full 16k sample buffer. The optimum seems to be around 10kHz (125MS/s / 16kS = 7.8kHz) where the full noise buffer is used and therefore the noise is most "white".
Suggested solutions:
  • Make noise generator true pseudorandom based on a mathematic generator instead of repeating a sample buffer (best solution).
  • Introduce a "Noise period" setting to make this behaviour visible and not dependant on other generators. (Might be useful to increase periodicity for low frequency measurements.)
  • Make periodicity fixed to optimum frequency where the full sample buffer is used and the noise is most "white"

Scope locks up when touch is disabled and confirmation is required
If disabling touch and pressing either "Auto Setup" or "Default" the scope locks up and reboot is required.
Suggested solutions:
  • Make it possible to re-enable touch, even when a confirmation dialog is present.
  • Make it possible to "Continue" or "Cancel" with button presses.
  • Re-define the "Touch" button to something useful ;) (e.g. "Force trig", "AWG Single pulse" etc.)

Wishes for improvements:

Better AWG functionality
  • Manually trigged arbitrary waveform (non-periodic). Preferably with a button (The "Touch" button is a candidate. Or the AWG button)
  • Manually trigged pulses and pulse bursts. (e.g. 1-8 pulses with selective delay)
  • Modulation. Minimum: Sine AM/FM etc. Preferred: Math based.

Improved Bode Analysis
  • Faster Bode plots. It is very slow...
  • Wider plot area. Why the big black borders?
  • Amplitude Unit: Impedance. Showing the complex impedance of the DUT in series with a resistive load.

Hoping for making a great scope even better  8)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2020, 08:21:46 pm »
Latest firmware is V1.3.5R10
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS2000XP_1.3.5R10_EN.zip

Some reported bugs not addressed yet.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2020, 12:04:43 pm »
In the AWG you see only 6 digits after the separator (1.000 000 M) but you can enter 7 valid digits. (1.000 000 2 M e.g.)
Unfortunately I can not measure more. Here the valid digits should be shown.

For FFT it would be nice to have more F-digits in the Peak List when you use a small span (e.g. center 1 MHz, span 10 kHz.
Should be configurable, for frequency measurement as well. 

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2020, 09:18:36 am »
In Analysis/Counter menu you can choose the channel to be measured.

But this works only with the triggered channel, not with the others.

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2020, 04:12:16 pm »
New bug:

Fail to load arb waveform files.. appears to be file mismanagement

cp /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin
cp: can't stat '/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin': No such file or directory
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info"

Once the issue will be fixed in a new FW release, it would be nice if the interpolation mode could be made selectable between Linear (the actual / default)
and 0-order hold.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2020, 05:34:55 am »

Improved Bode Analysis

Do you want more crap BP.

This performance is very difficult to do faster with this working principle.
There is many things... Nearly all speeding costs performance.
I believe you have noted that if you reduce whole available dynamic range, if you do not need, works bit more fast than in default mode. Turn ALC off and it give bit more speed. But then result is less available dynamic range. And in this mode you need manually find right SFRA receiver (Scope input channel where come signal from DUT) input level setting. With external generator of course reference channel is perhaps from generator other channel what is tracking other channel. I have not used BodePlot II with SDS2kXplus but other Siglent model. Also there is some thread here in forum what handle basics of BodePlot II. (today we can just talk BodePlot because version 1 is far behind in history even when it still exist in some older reviews like waste in ocean.

If understand more how this Siglent BP works then less can wonder how slow it is.
First part is understand that in this mode it is not working at all like oscilloscope even it uses oscilloscope HW.
Level and phase. Level is measured using  selective receiver with frequency proportional adjusted RBW (resolution band width) and this receiver sweeps synchronized with generator what is step sweeping controlled by BodePlot. Every single time it step to new frequency point it need start from beginning to find right level and measure it. And all max three receiver channel need do it simultaneously and individually. Sequential individual steps may have even lot over 100dB difference. Receiver may just set and listen under 500uv signal and then next step it may be even 10V/div. Every step need do automatic level control and there is no predict what is next step value. Also during sweep it listen only narrow frequency band just like radio receiver but without being radio, not like oscilloscope xt mode listen whole wide band. 
Now, specially lower frequencies. For take enough long capture for do FFT for this frequency everyone understand it takes time. And this time it take also in next step... every step. It need capture enough data for FFT.  Also as have seen during wide freq span sweep during sweep it  change samplerate. There is lot of things and finally then designer make some compromise between time and performance.
If someone build different HW it can be superfast depending its working principle. But there is now this HW and it need do good performance with it. In every single step it need do or be readu to do lot of things.

So, how long it take sample 10Hz for get enough data for phase and for level.  Absolute minimum is 100ms. If we can do optimal trig and do not need anything but exactly one full cycle. How you know in real time you have get full true cycle. In practice you need capture bit more. Then measure it. Then ask generator do next frequency, wait bit and after then capture again now example 10.02Hz.. again over 100ms.  If we have these kind of steps 500 like is max in BP. It is alone 50 second. And as told there is also other things like take more samples what is ideally in theory enough. So we are easy near or around 100s class. Just for do simple linear BP from 10Hz to 20Hz. (these numberas are now imagined because I have not possible now do any tests, checks.
I do not know but when I have looked some dynamic performance down to very low signals it looks also nearly clear that get one bode plot result data pair it perhaps do some other things than just one time capture this step signal. Perhaps it also do some averaging or something...  least in  SDS1000X-E

Yes, some speed is perhaps possible but I believe quite marginally until reduce performance with hard hand.
It is easy to think BodePlot is some simple small thing. It is not - except  if someone do just crap checkbox feature for shamelessly print on shining sales brochures.

No one must push Siglent to reduce this BP dynamic or other performace. Even they can add some more slow enhanced performance mode for get more deep dynamics and accuracy.

[/list]
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2020, 01:21:56 pm »

Improved Bode Analysis

Agree, it's (BP) much to slow, not practical for lab work. However, it's a scope and not a do-it-all instrument.

It's fun to play with tho, and maybe useful for introductory educational purposes like showing different filter types (LP, HP, BP), or showing SRF of large capacitors.

The implementation is fine and it works nicely with the internal or external (SDG 2042X) AWG, it's just too slow.

Anyway, Siglent might will consider improving the BP speed, maybe improved algorithms and/or hardware in future scopes.

Best
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2020, 02:02:22 pm »

Improved Bode Analysis

Agree, it's (BP) much to slow, not practical for lab work. However, it's a scope and not a do-it-all instrument.

Yes. But it also depends what things user is doing with it. Of course it is still not at all dedicated SFRA isntrument like was example R&S SWOB etc.

But also, it is not totally hopeless if example look and adjust IF typical radio IF filter. Sweeping example 450kHz to 460kHz is not hopeless slow in practice. Or if need select xtals for nth order DIY pass band filter.
It is quite seriously made if look what kind of BP some others have done in this kind on price class scopes.
For random use and for some hobbyist it can still do lot. It is not toy.
It is slow and if it can some amount speed it is, imho, quite marginal amount exept if Siglent add there fast mode with reduced performance just as they can in theory also add more slow mode for even better performance. If we need do some filter work problem with dynamics is that there is not usable whole range. Duo to fact that filter need drive using some specified level. If level is example 0dBm then dynamic range ends quite soon when goes to example good IF filter stop band where -60dBc or -70dBc is nearly nothing... and tools for least -110...-120dBc are "bit different" than low price oscilloscope BP.

But still first time I see Siglent Bode Plot version II it must say I was bit amazed this performance. They have done it seriously. Even when some things can improve and correct and need some finishing etc.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2020, 02:49:48 pm »
Even when some things can improve and correct and need some finishing etc.

Like turning off the internal AWG and returning to the user-settings of the channels after use.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2020, 03:39:49 pm »
But still first time I see Siglent Bode Plot version II it must say I was bit amazed this performance. They have done it seriously. Even when some things can improve and correct and need some finishing etc.

Yes the BP implementation is impressive if you discount the speed. I think the concept of dynamically changing the 2nd channel gain to achieve better dynamic range is a clever and useful. For certain uses, like a narrow band filter you mention, the speed is probably acceptable, but not for general purpose use.

I have no serious criticisms of this DSO, or we should call data acquisition system. It's quite an instrument for the price, so hat's off to the Siglent design team  :-+

Here's an example of the Open Loop Bode Plot simulation of a complex electro-mechanical piezo element Closed Loop control system capable of nanometer level positioning I've developed. I included tap-in points in the control PCB to allow Bode Plots, so may give this a try sometime when I have some available time.

The system works beautifully and behaves as simulated, and uses bearings that have no mechanical noise, no backlash, no stiction, nor moving mechanical surfaces (Flexures).

Here's the PCB and Piezo Stage (Physik Instrumente P601K), simulated Open Loop Bode Plot, and simulated Closed Loop step response, and Closed Loop Bode Plot.

Best,

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:46:32 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:49 pm »
Here's a couple Bode Plots of a simple RC Low Pass and High Pass filter (R =1K, C=0.01uF) using the SDG2042X AWG "enabled" to 120MHz. These are the correct responses and even show the series resonance (~6.4MHz in LP) of the leaded capacitor (L ~ 62nH) in the setup, very nice displays IMO.

However, this took awhile to do, much longer than I would tolerate in a lab where my time was valued, I'm retired now, so time is cheap :-\

One thing I noted while making these plots is it's difficult to get the SDS2042X Plus to recognize the Print button.

Best,

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:27:40 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2020, 09:47:39 pm »
I'm retired now, so time is cheap

And I´m using it at home, so the was time cheap also... 8)
Nevertheless, of course it could getting faster - As long as nothing else will be affected in a negative way.
Better slow and cool as fast and "crap".

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2020, 04:37:05 am »
Here's a couple Bode Plots of a simple RC Low Pass and High Pass filter ...

However, this took awhile to do, much longer than I would tolerate in a lab where my time was valued,...

Yes it takes time.
There is freq scale log and start from 10Hz to 120MHz.
I do not remember how long it takes and also I can not see what amount of data points you have used, if max 500 it takes time.
As we can see it use lot of time in inder 1kHz specially long time between 10Hz to 100Hz.
I have many times thinking, is it always necessary to use so much time there in low freq, how important this resolution is in these cases around 10Hz. What are freq  steps there. 
If user can define resolution steps it can perhaps do lot of faster. Yes user can set amount of steps but not how it is shared over sweep span.
Reason, explanation,  for long time can see in these two images. Thinking this it can ask how much can ask more fast BodePlot.
One image can see current  step is bit over 1kHz.
What more it tell: 10 bits, 1Mpts, 10ms/div, 10Msa/s.
Sampling itself one shot for this one individual BP data takes 100ms. time

Then other image tell bit more
Perhaps this is sweep starting point.
50ms/div, 1Mpts, 2Msa/s.
Sampling itself one shot for this one individual BP data takes 500ms. time
And this sampling alone is not whole time what one step take.  There need wait generator after command, then fill pretrig buffer and wait trig. Look level and do front end level ajustment (if ALC is on) if need and start processing for result  and after all is ready then command Generator to do next step.

But, is it optimal for time. Perhaps I do not need lot of datapoints between some very low frequencies but still want more resolution on other part of whole sweep.
1MHz datapoint is muck more fast to do than 10Hz data point.
Selecting between log and lin sweep is also question. Some times lin is technoically ok but user select log because.... eyes like. Some toimes I have thinked that perhaps in some cases is more wise to do linear sweep and then afterwards change it to log scale.
It need ask, do I need same amount of BP data points between 10-100Hz as I need between 10MHz to 100MHz.  If user have freedom to set how steps are shared over sweep  he can optimize sweep time perhaps better for just his need in one test.

Here in image I can see is used Ch1 for reference and CH2 for DUT out. These BP what I have tested, user  have full freedom to select reference channels and select also what receive signal from DUT.
In some cases it is useful to select other than manufacturer set default.
Example user can select Ch1 for reference and then Ch3 for DUT out. In this case both channels use different ADC so both can use max interleaved speed. But also there can be other reasons for select... example one like more yellow or green BP then he can select Ch2 as reference channel. And if DUT have one or two or even three outputs then select input channels as like set colors for these.
Always in these cases need care that reference channel timing is perfect related to DUT out channels so that phase have even some meaning. Phase accuracy is... not easy case at all when we go out from "audio" freq range. There need calibrate cables and channels time difference and if work with generator 2 channel mode, one for ref and one for DUT in, also need care generator phase error.
One channel mode is other way difficult when we go out from "audio" LF  freq range. Signal split to Ref and DUT need do right way and then also  care  phase calibration using right kind of dummy thru in place of DUT.

But,  we have programmable level figure for sweep span in BP (during sweep it follow user defined level table), why we can not have programmable step interval where user can define how many steps it use in user defined slices in whole sweep. Yes it is not easy... but with this user  can do some optimize for sweep time just for his need in some test case. He can put more fine steps in important positions and then less to some other positions.

Did you really need 50 data points between 10 and 100Hz. (if 500 was in use)
But perhaps 50 is not even enough between 10 to 100MHz in some cases.

It is also good to remember, what ever it plot to screen real base to all is the Table what BP produce. Display is just only post image from The Table and example if user select manually scale so that part of bode is lot of out from display still all is there in The Table what can then later display moving display position in table or changing displayed scale.

BP is whole "machine" other than oscilloscope and before is fully familiar with it, it need work, it need lot of work for find all things built in.

It was one evening when I do some work with this BP II (other scope model)
Then hit some produced some harmonics etc  in DUT.
I have measured DUT out level with HP Power meter quite accurately and in separate freq points.
Then I look Siglent BodePlot and think what a crap shit they have done... lot of errors related my measurements with instruments what are enough reliable way checked they are in specs.

Thank god I have SA. With SA I look this DUT out in same setup used with BP.

SA show nicely this test signal from DUT output. But what... also its level is totally off.  After some seconds SA was tuned to wide span and it was clear that reason or other my DUT produce totally high amount of harmonics and non harmonics. Game over, this was clear. Of course know that power meter used is wide band.

Then like child I think all my old "bode plots" in my life and with various methods using analog scopes etc...
Why this Siglent bode plot did not see whole level but it see nearly like SA see this test carrier level out from DUT. But is is oscilloscope BodePlot....
Well, inside some minutes I know this BodePlot is frequency selective. It listen only frequency what he have ask generator send. Yes of course it is not very narrow resolution band width. Later investigations also show that RBW is not fixed. It depends frequency. It have several width steps.

I have been tens of years fan for reading HP Journals (until "Lady Agilent" destroy HP) and I have been in situation where I have get these for read also when I was young.

If this BP is made by old HP in history there is perhaps very deep explanation how it works and what is inside it, how it produce final data from signals, including least bloc level working principle and math how it compute result etc etc and something about how it set default parameters and so on.

From Siglent. Just (nearly) Nothing.
Information level nearly like image where see button and in image can see it is labeled "Start"  and then perfect User Reference Manual tell.. Push this for start.

Example for some lab (hobby or what ever) use it is important to know in some cases how this BP do. Example some knowledge about this frequency selectivity, even least tell it is.
Because DUT can be lot of more than just passive RLC circuit and if dut generate something during sweep there is not any indication about it. It is good that user know that this BP is swept tuned freq selective.

Now it is in level "Use if you like it and try find how it works"
Long time ago R&S SWOB have whole manual about theory and practice with all details and not even this level how HP explain they instruments. Yes they was expensive but it need remember volumes...
 today instruments are low price but it can not explain why manuals and information is so poor.. because now also volumes are much higher so price of good and deep manuals etc is funded from more small sources but bit it looks  more like "who cares" state than price is reason. Of course one reason is this continuous new products and hurry to push unfinished products to markets. No one can then keep manuals updated specially if manuals are very deep even with theory paragraphs deeply integrated with used FW and circuits.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:02:31 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2020, 08:00:01 am »
rf-loop
FYI I have been emailing mawyatt and told him to have a study of your great investigations of SDS1104X-E BP II:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1x04x-e-bodeplot-ii-(sfra)-features-and-testing-(coming)/

Also, slowing his BP result is that he only has SDS2102X Plus as the 4ch models were on BO when he needed one so he has no ability to assign BP channels to the other ADC.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2020, 11:52:26 am »

Also, slowing his BP result is that he only has SDS2102X Plus as the 4ch models were on BO when he needed one so he has no ability to assign BP channels to the other ADC.

I stand corrected.  :)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2020, 03:54:41 pm »
rf-loop,

But,  we have programmable level figure for sweep span in BP (during sweep it follow user defined level table), why we can not have programmable step interval where user can define how many steps it use in user defined slices in whole sweep. Yes it is not easy... but with this user  can do some optimize for sweep time just for his need in some test case. He can put more fine steps in important positions and then less to some other positions.

A user defined "Resolution Table" should help, so one can "put the emphasis" where it's needed. Some defaults within the table (under decade sweep) could be "period related" where the number of points is related to the waveform period within the decade span, and within a user specified Capture time per decade. The number of sample points within the decade would be X*(Capture time per decade)/(Period Ref per decade + compute time), where X is a scaling factor.

For example, the 10-100Hz decade would have a "period reference of 1/10" and with a specified Capture Time per decade of say 2 seconds (could be user defined or default) and a compute time of 0.1 seconds then the number of samples taken in 10-100Hz would be 10. For 100-1K decade it would be 18, for 1K-100K 20 and so on. Note the upper limit is set by the compute time as max number of samples per decade is Capture Time per decade/Compute Time. X could be simple linear scaled or power scaled (X, X^2, X^3).

Anyway, lots of options and variations on this theme possible.

Regarding the old HP, yes they were destroyed by the Agilent split. Those days HP and Tektronix equipment and manuals were engineering masterpieces, both have now fallen to the short term management mentality designed to put $ in the pockets of the executives and shareholders at the expense of long term viability.

Keysight may have a chance to recover some of the old HP magic in certain areas, it will take time tho. I recall at the IEEE MTT conference in ~2009 a Keysight VP discussing a new AWG chip they had developed, they set up a demo for me. I was blown away by the performance, up to 16GSPS, well over 90dBc SFDR, and a 1KHz offset of -168dBm phase noise at 1GHz with a 0dBm signal reference!! And this from a DDS based signal which can frequency hop anywhere within the output frequency range within a single waveform cycle. Talk about a frequency agile ultra low noise LO source for a fast frequency hopping narrow band receiver/transmitter for all sorts of applications ::), now you know where they got the idea ;) The core AWG chip is called Griffin (mythological creature), I have a couple chips from ~10 years ago and have taken ultra-high resolution images for them (proprietary). Here's an extremely low resolution small crop of the creature "Griffin" from the very large Griffin chip, the solder balls are ~40um in diameter I recall. Another chip was in development with even better performance.

So maybe Keysight can recover this old HP magic is certain instrument areas, but I never considered them to lead in the scope arena, that was the old Tektronix grounds. If you are of my age you may remember the remarkable Tektronix 1GHz real time scope from 1969, it took HP almost 20 years to duplicate that scope's performance!!

However, I don't expect we'll see the wonderful old manuals from those days, just a PDF Operating Manual is all that seems to be available, and maybe a Service Manual that basically says replace the PCB :P

Best,
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 04:23:49 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2020, 04:02:24 pm »
rf-loop
FYI I have been emailing mawyatt and told him to have a study of your great investigations of SDS1104X-E BP II:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1x04x-e-bodeplot-ii-(sfra)-features-and-testing-(coming)/

I need to spend some reviewing this, looks quite interesting.

Obviously lots of effort from rf-loop went into measuring and compiling all this on the Bode Plot II. :-+

Maybe Siglent might consider using this as a baseline for a Bode Plot II App note??

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2020, 04:33:38 pm »

Yeah I needed the DSO to do some work on an advanced Piezo Electric controller I'd developed, it's going to be used in a university research project, so had to "settle" for the 2 channel version, maybe Siglent will let me trade it in on the 4 channel SDS2104X Plus when they are in stock ::) Think my chances are somewhat akin to a "Snowballs chance is a very hot place >:D ".

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this DSO and want to thank everyone on here, especially Rob at tautech for pointing out Siglent and the SDS2104X Plus :-+

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2020, 07:51:33 am »

Yeah I needed the DSO to do some work on an advanced Piezo Electric controller I'd developed, it's going to be used in a university research project, so had to "settle" for the 2 channel version, maybe Siglent will let me trade it in on the 4 channel SDS2104X Plus when they are in stock ::) Think my chances are somewhat akin to a "Snowballs chance is a very hot place >:D ".

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this DSO and want to thank everyone on here, especially Rob at tautech for pointing out Siglent and the SDS2104X Plus :-+

Best,

If they are wise, perhaps they can least give some nice opportunity for you for some kind of nice deal....least I hope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2020, 08:07:59 am »

Best,

If they are wise, perhaps they can least give some nice opportunity for you for some kind of nice deal....least I hope.
Saelig supplied mawyatt's equipment so let's hope they might have another home for his SDS2102X Plus when he is ready for an upgrade.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bobof

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2020, 08:59:43 am »
BUG REPORT: If readout probes are connected when powering on, probe readout function only works once on boot.  Subsequent disconnects and connects don't register
SD2104X Plus firmware 1.3.5R10

Cal Test CT3288ARA/P6501R probe; my readout pin measures 10.7K to BNC shield.

If I power up with the probe with readout pin connected to any channel on boot I see: "Probe detected: channel x", where x is correct channel.  Probe disconnecting and reconnecting never again yields a probe detect message on any of the channels (not just the channel that had the probe attached to start with).

If I power up without any probes connected, then the "probe detected: channel x" and "probe disconnected: channel x" messages all work as you'd expect; every time you connect or disconnect a probe the message appears.

So it seems that if you have a readout-enabled probe connected at boot that the readout only ever works that first time during the boot process and is dead ever after.  @Tautech confirmed the same behaviour.

This seems like it must be a bug.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:01:32 am by bobof »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf