Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 735781 times)

andiabba and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #1500 on: July 06, 2020, 11:37:56 pm »
Good Morning John,

I got mine from Welectron after asking all the german distributors for their special price via Mail.
After a nice mail exchange with the owner I bought it there with 5% off and Paypal payment.
The device arrived two days later. With the reduced VAT in Germany (16%) as Martin mentioned
it should be worth a try.
Yesterday I ordered a SDG2042 there and noticed that they now offer  a free financing via Paypal with
6 or 12 monthly payments (of course you loose the other discounts) but may be it helps someone.
(I stopped my efforts with the FY6900 and decided to invest now in a tool that fulfill better my needs but
that‘s a story for the other board)

Good evening to you, Bad_Driver,

Apologies for the delay in responding but I've been rather busy sorting out a discount deal with telonic.co.uk for an SDS2104X+. I've ordered mine from them just this afternoon with a nice discount. I'm expecting delivery sometime the end of this week or else the middle of next barring any unforeseen delays.

I'd have gotten a discount out of Labtronix if I'd enquired a week sooner to catch their last bulk order on these models (they're not usually a stocked item) and it would likely be another 8 weeks to the next bulk order opportunity to get a discounted price, otherwise I'd have placed my order with them (on the "Better the Devil You Know" principle - they've never once let me down but then I've only ordered just the one item from them 18 months ago, namely an SDS1202X-E  :) ).

I realise this is off topic but I'm curious about why you didn't choose the slightly cheaper SDG1062X over the SDG2042 which only goes to 40MHz versus the 60MHz (both sine and square waves) of the former as an upgrade over the FY6900. Presumably, you were more attracted by the 16 bit resolution and the touch screen interface than an upper frequency limit to match that of the FY6900.

I've been looking at the specifications in detail (again!) on both the SDG1000X and the SDG2000X series function generators (the only model ranges within reach of my wallet that aren't a complete joke novelty item compared to even an FY6600-60M for more than twice its price (eg the SDG805 and SDG810 single channel 5 and 10MHz models).

The SDG1062 to my mind,  looks a little more attractive as an upmarket replacement for my much improved FY6600-60M but I won't be making a purchasing decision right away until I've concluded my upgrade efforts with the FY6600 (upgrading those 85 ohm 20dB attenuators to 50 ohm pads and, maybe a PSU upgrade if testing with battery power and a 7805 validates the benefit of such). OTOH, like you, I might just have done with my toy FG and treat myself to a brand spanking new SDG1062 ::) - I think I can manage without the additional 2 bits of resolution and a touch screen  :) .

JBG

Beyond these spec differences which are huge.. 1.2 GSa/s   16-bit   8 pts to 8 Mpts vs 150 MSa/s   14-bit   16 kpts

The 2k can be unlocked to 120MHz, the 1k only goes to 60MHz.. extra 200 is worth it for arbing all day long

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good, Bad_Driver

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1501 on: July 07, 2020, 04:44:55 am »
Good Morning John,

I got mine from Welectron after asking all the german distributors for their special price via Mail.
After a nice mail exchange with the owner I bought it there with 5% off and Paypal payment.
The device arrived two days later. With the reduced VAT in Germany (16%) as Martin mentioned
it should be worth a try.
Yesterday I ordered a SDG2042 there and noticed that they now offer  a free financing via Paypal with
6 or 12 monthly payments (of course you loose the other discounts) but may be it helps someone.
(I stopped my efforts with the FY6900 and decided to invest now in a tool that fulfill better my needs but
that‘s a story for the other board)

Good evening to you, Bad_Driver,

Apologies for the delay in responding but I've been rather busy sorting out a discount deal with telonic.co.uk for an SDS2104X+. I've ordered mine from them just this afternoon with a nice discount. I'm expecting delivery sometime the end of this week or else the middle of next barring any unforeseen delays.

I'd have gotten a discount out of Labtronix if I'd enquired a week sooner to catch their last bulk order on these models (they're not usually a stocked item) and it would likely be another 8 weeks to the next bulk order opportunity to get a discounted price, otherwise I'd have placed my order with them (on the "Better the Devil You Know" principle - they've never once let me down but then I've only ordered just the one item from them 18 months ago, namely an SDS1202X-E  :) ).

I realise this is off topic but I'm curious about why you didn't choose the slightly cheaper SDG1062X over the SDG2042 which only goes to 40MHz versus the 60MHz (both sine and square waves) of the former as an upgrade over the FY6900. Presumably, you were more attracted by the 16 bit resolution and the touch screen interface than an upper frequency limit to match that of the FY6900.

I've been looking at the specifications in detail (again!) on both the SDG1000X and the SDG2000X series function generators (the only model ranges within reach of my wallet that aren't a complete joke novelty item compared to even an FY6600-60M for more than twice its price (eg the SDG805 and SDG810 single channel 5 and 10MHz models).

The SDG1062 to my mind,  looks a little more attractive as an upmarket replacement for my much improved FY6600-60M but I won't be making a purchasing decision right away until I've concluded my upgrade efforts with the FY6600 (upgrading those 85 ohm 20dB attenuators to 50 ohm pads and, maybe a PSU upgrade if testing with battery power and a 7805 validates the benefit of such). OTOH, like you, I might just have done with my toy FG and treat myself to a brand spanking new SDG1062 ::) - I think I can manage without the additional 2 bits of resolution and a touch screen  :) .

JBG

Beyond these spec differences which are huge.. 1.2 GSa/s   16-bit   8 pts to 8 Mpts vs 150 MSa/s   14-bit   16 kpts

The 2k can be unlocked to 120MHz, the 1k only goes to 60MHz.. extra 200 is worth it for arbing all day long

A 1032 vs 2042 thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sdg-2042x-as-first-fg/msg2150209/#msg2150209

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good, Bad_Driver

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1502 on: July 07, 2020, 08:05:35 pm »
Still no deskew fixture in my hands... :(

Oh, won´t believe it :

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: July 07, 2020, 08:36:55 pm »
Martin

You really still not have this fixture cripes I have had six deliveries from the USA, and one from Greece since last Thursday that is poor service.

Mind UPS here in the UK have been experiencing big issues here lately with a total overloading over there capabilities with up to 7 days on a next day service  :-\
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:33:55 am by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1504 on: July 07, 2020, 08:51:37 pm »
This is really the badest service ever, even goods from china arrived here sooner.
And the chinese answer you to your mails...
If the fixure does really arrive on tomorrow, I´ll noticed that and will never ever do an order again on siglent.eu.
Lessons learned.

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1505 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:09 pm »
Martin

You really still not have this fixture cripes I have had six deliveries from the USA, andvone from Greece since last Thursday that is poor service.

Mind UPS here in the UK have been experiencing big issues here lately with a total overloading over there capabilities with upto 7bdays on a next day service
Explained here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg3107236/#msg3107236

Many parts of the globe currently don't have viable airfreight service so products need come by sea to Siglent in Germany then be forwarded to resellers then to customers.
It all takes time but the real problem for Martin has been lack of good communication from his supplier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:41 pm »
I never received Gandalf's PCBs (since April) and have received several things from China in the meantime...

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1507 on: July 07, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »
It all takes time but the real problem for Martin has been lack of good communication from his supplier.

Exactly the point plus I don´t like to get screwed ( they marked the item as "shipped" on june 13th).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:57 pm »

Exactly the point plus I don´t like to get screwed ( they marked the item as "shipped" on june 13th).
You think you're hard done by, I placed an order 8 weeks ago and had to wait 3 weeks until Siglent finished manufacturing a BIG order before they could even run a few for me.  ::)
Hopefully I finally collect next Monday after they hit the local port on Friday.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1509 on: July 07, 2020, 11:03:31 pm »
This is one of the reasons I never let our manufacturering facilities get sold off for far east cheaper production.

At one point we used to produce mobile phone communication masts for two of the big UK providers and having the adjustable angling brackets made literally 200 years away and yet I could obtain an alternative from Thailand at pretty much a 1/3 of the cost whilst being of merchantable quality is a big incentive to increase profits and reduce costs that was in 2003

Now these days our scale is smaller however I have retained  UK or European production 100% it's not that the far east cannot produce quality goods they can without question providing you have your own QA in the factory and you are prepared to wait the 8-12 weeks by boat to obtain the margins to make it profitable

Our circuit boards take around 5 days to produce,  coincidentally I could get them quicker and cheaper however if I have any issues or revisions it is far easier and consistency is better here imho

Things are changing in the free market economy not just because of the B word but realistically due to making life easier and delivering repeatable quality.

Mind you if you cannot deliver when stated keeping the customer apprised at all times is a bare minimum  and having faceless and difficult to contact companies via non transparent websites should result in the directors being whipped with a lightly salted slug on a cold  November morning on the Isle of Skye

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:35:50 am by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: July 08, 2020, 12:48:59 am »
having faceless and difficult to contact companies via non transparent websites should result in the directors being whipped with a lightly salted slug on a cold  November morning on the Isle of Skye

Many years ago the UK was the world's envy for quality manufacturing goods ...

So what happened?

***BEGIN RANT***

Greed & Globalization  :palm:

The 'owners' of the manufacturing facilities (and this includes Public Companies)
- were presented with an easy to take alternative
- whilst increasing their profit margins
- hard to refuse
- especially when they totally neglected the drug-like-dependency to the new masters of their production lines  |O

Many years later
- their so called 'increased profit margins' have totally eroded
- as they started to compete with others who have ventured to the same 'dark side' and are also in the same predicament.

Now not just the UK
- but most of the world is dependent on the C word for virtually all their manufactured goods.

How many would be prepared to pay an additional $1000 for test equipment made in the UK?

Remember

- we have some of the smartest people in the world here (Boris NOT included  :P )
- we have the technical know-how

BUT

we don't have the resolve to do anything to make a difference  |O

We ALL need to chip-in to support the local industry
- if not then we will never get off the drug-like-dependency of the C word global exporter who feeds everyone's dependency for merchandise

- electronic or otherwise

***END RANT***

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: July 08, 2020, 01:20:21 am »
Many years ago the UK was the world's envy for quality manufacturing goods ...
Yes like their 60/70/80 cars with 'engineered in' oil leaks.  ::)

Then along came the Japanese but they rusted even faster than English cars.  :scared:

Then UK went to the dark side with EU and limited trade from the colonies so reciprocal measures were taken as we headed to countries that desired 2 way trade.

Corporates not held to account by Gubbermints are mostly at fault for todays imbalances.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: July 08, 2020, 01:32:03 am »
Quote from: tautech link=topic=218238.msg3125102#msg3125102
Yes like their 60/70/80 cars with 'engineered in' oil leaks.  ::)

Then along came the Japanese but they rusted even faster than English cars.  :scared:

Corporates not held to account by Gubbermints are mostly at fault for todays imbalances.

And there was me thinking it was all a big secret  :-DD

To many jokers in charge with their own interests at the forefront unfortunately anyway no chips on shoulder from Sheffield here just doing the best we can for right  reasons.

Corporate greed will always be a big force in commerce  fact of current life

Anyway thread difting sorry
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:36:34 am by Sighound36 »

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: July 08, 2020, 10:19:23 am »
Hi John,

thanks for your reply. I think it is better to have the Signal Generator discussion on the other board.
I explained there my decision to stop my Feeltec FG improvement efforts and to buy a (for me) affordable better working device.

As mentioned by others (thanks!) the SDG2042 can (as the SDS2104X+ into a 2504X+) be "improved" into a SDG2122.
There is a helpful EEVBLOG-board for the SDG.

And welcome in the club of "business travelers" as you named me some weeks ago with regards to my decision for the SDS2104x+  :-DD
Beside all the cool technical specs I really love the mouse control since my SDS is on my workbench behind the DUT and all the cabling stuff and tools and so on.
And the mouse can be on the right side of my working area.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1514 on: July 08, 2020, 11:13:29 am »
At last, it has arrived....

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1515 on: July 08, 2020, 12:26:19 pm »
At last, it has arrived....

You got a new rev!!! C VS my B and its green

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1516 on: July 08, 2020, 12:37:13 pm »
Maybe this would be the reason changing it to C, because of the colour..

Poor: No usb cable was included, at this price a little bit disappointing.

First impressions:

Stable quality of the pcb, multilayer board for creating the 8 windings for the large loop, lm555cm drives a mosfet (mosfet off = current flows through the windings), nothing special.
Later on, I´ll play a little bit with it.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1517 on: July 08, 2020, 01:52:42 pm »
Playing around...

Setting it up is simple, just connect a probe the voltage testpins and a current probe on one of the loops.
1019196-0
The new micsig current probe doesn´t arrive yet, so I take my owon cp-05+ probe.

For Autodeskew you must go the power analyzer function, choosing "switching loss":
1019220-1

But as you will see, at the moment it won´t make sense, because that is not a current I exptect to have:
1019224-2

Wtf...What´s going on here....So I measure across a loadresistance:
1019228-3

Aha, 1.33V/10r = 133mA and "clean".....This current probe is a real piece of crap  :P

So far so good, it seems the fixure does what it have to do, detailed pics for 2n3055 will following.. 8)

Ah, and there is a bug using PA, I´ll report it in the bug/feature thread.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:00:08 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: July 08, 2020, 02:00:15 pm »
Martin
Enable a p-p current measurement and adjust the current probe attenuation to match the current specified for the loop.
Deskew can be done manually in the channel menu. Use a faster timebase to better examine the channel skew.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1519 on: July 08, 2020, 02:06:13 pm »
Hi Rob,

Yes but it shouldn´t matter so much that the current waveform will be deformed as it is.
I think it´s because of the limited bandwith of the clamp, will check this with bode plot later in the evening.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:42 pm »
Hi Rob,

Yes but it shouldn´t matter so much that the current waveform will be deformed as it is.
I think it´s because of the limited bandwith of the clamp, will check this with bode plot later in the evening.
It's a just 22KHz square wave and it seems your CP may be busted.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1521 on: July 08, 2020, 02:16:47 pm »
These clamps are piece of shit, the claimed bandwith of 200khz they will never reach them, check this later.

(Last year I´ve done a little review/teardown from the cp-05, with drawing a schematic - the output stage was "fullpacked" with capacitors to prevent unstable behaviour - but it can´t have the 200khz anymore due to this.)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1522 on: July 08, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »
It´s the clamp..... :palm:

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06:26 pm »
Remember: that's why people buy test equipment! To test their things.   ;D

Now that you have fully tested you clamp you can move on.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1524 on: July 08, 2020, 03:18:24 pm »
I´ve test the clamp before, but only with sinewaves as I didn´t got anything else.

Now that you have fully tested you clamp you can move on.

...to throw it in the bin.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf