Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 715261 times)

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #1700 on: July 27, 2020, 07:41:12 pm »
There is more than just graticule, touch display then menu and fiddle with the settings for backlight, intensity, graticule, etc till you find something you like

Although I have noticed the same thing you are talking about from when i had it on a higher shelf before I had the spot prepared at eye level for it.. it works best at eye level if you are able to do it

Have you tried increasing the graticule brightness?  :)

JBG

Yep, I tried all the settings, everything is on max. dimming them doesn't help either...

I can't lower the shelf any more unfortunately... and I would need to lower it significantly anyway, which would make for a very low shelf haha. I checked out the screen a bit more thoroughly, you need to be dead center with the center of the screen, or above it. It's really funny/sad how the viewing angles when looking from above the screen are very good actually. Below it, it's really unforgiving. My eyes, at rest, are centered exactly on the channel inputs (where the cables go). So you can imagine that I am not that much off the screen.

I can put it on the bench itself but it's kind of awkward.

I did a very short test of some waveforms, they seemed ok.I'll do some more tests tomorrow. It's the font and grid and graticules (especially the horizontal ones, don't remember what you call those) that fade away. The text looks weird, kinda like dithered?

It's a shame because the screen is really nice when you are centered on it. Crisp and bright.
And it does really benefit from a dark room.
Really weird, I have seen plenty of TFT screens on rack equipment and they are not that demanding with the viewing angles. :-//
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:43:38 pm by Ctrlocti »

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1701 on: July 27, 2020, 07:48:31 pm »
Yeah i was a bit surprised that it didnt show up better from below.. all screens are different.. just whatever the picked has a terrible angle for that position

I keep mine eye level mainly because i want to reach over with my arm and touch it, not up or down

It's about 8" above my desk / bench.. i also dont really like it sitting directly on bench... takes up a ton of space that could be used for dut space

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1702 on: July 27, 2020, 08:07:16 pm »
When we must put our scopes above on the desk, we bend them a little to reduce the angle.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1703 on: July 27, 2020, 08:35:31 pm »
Yeah i was a bit surprised that it didnt show up better from below.. all screens are different.. just whatever the picked has a terrible angle for that position

I keep mine eye level mainly because i want to reach over with my arm and touch it, not up or down

It's about 8" above my desk / bench.. i also dont really like it sitting directly on bench... takes up a ton of space that could be used for dut space

yeah at 8in you really shouldn't have any issues. but that's a really low shelf man, you don't find it limiting?

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1704 on: July 27, 2020, 08:37:39 pm »
When we must put our scopes above on the desk, we bend them a little to reduce the angle.

how? the raisers are under the front feet, which increases the angles. It would need raisers at the back. I actually though of putting a piece of wood something on the back feet to angle it down, but it felt a bit ridiculous and with my luck it would tip over and fall down at some point. :scared:

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1705 on: July 27, 2020, 08:54:14 pm »

yeah at 8in you really shouldn't have any issues. but that's a really low shelf man, you don't find it limiting?

Not at all

I also recently picked up one of these and is now under the dut

https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all/products/quadhands-jumbo-workbench-helping-hands-third-arm-soldering-work-station-extra-large-heavy-no-tip-base-plate-6-flexible-magnetic-arms-with-precision-360-degree-alligator-clip-made-in-usa

Which pairs nicely with

https://sensepeek.com/

I have 16 digital IO ones and 4 scope probes from them, works out fantastic on this jumbo 11x17in near 1/4" steel plate

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1706 on: July 27, 2020, 09:00:46 pm »
how?

We got several scopes, those who got the raisers at the back so no problem, those who don´t.
In this cases we use a simple made bracket to fix the scope. (Groundplate, Bracket partly with rubber mounted on the groundplate inbetween the scope, now you can raise the groundplate to an angle which fits.)
Or, when it´s on our newer "Workstations":

There is a moveable "table" which we could raise to an angle we desired - But this will fit only with our older scopes, because of their weight.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1707 on: July 28, 2020, 06:54:48 am »

Not at all

I also recently picked up one of these and is now under the dut

https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all/products/quadhands-jumbo-workbench-helping-hands-third-arm-soldering-work-station-extra-large-heavy-no-tip-base-plate-6-flexible-magnetic-arms-with-precision-360-degree-alligator-clip-made-in-usa

Which pairs nicely with

https://sensepeek.com/

I have 16 digital IO ones and 4 scope probes from them, works out fantastic on this jumbo 11x17in near 1/4" steel plate

Oh I see, you have a mini shelf right there, that's cool. My setup is very similar to yours (well it's kind of identical), just without the mini shelf. I have parts drawers on my bench so I'd have to move stuff around if I'd do something like that.

I like the opsec on the dut :D

I was actually gonna get the sensepeek set with the baseplate and probes but reconsidered as I already spent way too much money. Next time. I'm sure its fantastic.

The following users thanked this post: Michael YYZ

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1708 on: July 28, 2020, 07:01:09 am »
how?

We got several scopes, those who got the raisers at the back so no problem, those who don´t.
In this cases we use a simple made bracket to fix the scope. (Groundplate, Bracket partly with rubber mounted on the groundplate inbetween the scope, now you can raise the groundplate to an angle which fits.)
Or, when it´s on our newer "Workstations":

There is a moveable "table" which we could raise to an angle we desired - But this will fit only with our older scopes, because of their weight.

hmm, I'm not sure I get how the groundplate and bracket works in your first paragraph. Do you mean you have something like a lip in front for the scope so when you tilt it forward it holds it? Because when I tried tilting it forward the off-axis center of gravity was quite close to pulling the scope down on its face and off the shelf. I mean it won't fall by itself but if I'm back there messing with cables or other TE close to it, a stray elbow or something would send it crashing down.

A picture or drawing would be lovely if you have the time at some point :)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1709 on: July 28, 2020, 02:50:43 pm »

Oh I see, you have a mini shelf right there, that's cool. My setup is very similar to yours (well it's kind of identical), just without the mini shelf. I have parts drawers on my bench so I'd have to move stuff around if I'd do something like that.

I was actually gonna get the sensepeek set with the baseplate and probes but reconsidered as I already spent way too much money. Next time. I'm sure its fantastic.

Here is an updated pic, the small shelf is 12" deep and my desk area is 22" deep so it works out pretty well

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1710 on: July 28, 2020, 08:08:52 pm »
Finally, the siglent deskew fixture schematic is finished - All unknown capacitor values added ( got it today on work and soldered them out for measure).

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1711 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:41 pm »

Here a simple draw:

The scope is fixed through the bracket, you can raise the groundplate until it fits to your need and then fix it in this position ( how is up to you).

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1712 on: July 28, 2020, 10:31:40 pm »
Worst case attach a decent kensington lock as a fail safe.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1713 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:49 pm »

Here is an updated pic, the small shelf is 12" deep and my desk area is 22" deep so it works out pretty well

yeah looks pretty comfortable. did you put it just for the siglent or you had it there anyway?

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1714 on: July 30, 2020, 08:26:46 pm »

Here a simple draw:

(Attachment Link)

The scope is fixed through the bracket, you can raise the groundplate until it fits to your need and then fix it in this position ( how is up to you).

thank you, that's very kind you took the time to do this!
are those brackets custom made? I have made something similar at home before but without a metal bending machine the results were hilarious. It still worked but it looked like  a car run over it.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1715 on: July 30, 2020, 08:29:50 pm »

that'll work, good idea

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1716 on: July 30, 2020, 09:12:19 pm »
are those brackets custom made?

Sure...Take a bar of aluminium, say 3mm thick and 30mm wide, then bend it, using a vise.

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1717 on: July 30, 2020, 09:37:49 pm »

that'll work, good idea
Yes but a K lock is below halfway up the rear of these DSO's.
I'd prefer some restraint around the carry handle at the top which I think you will find will also be much easier to access when you need to take the scope off the shelf.

A bracket like this bent up in a vise would be easy:

I.....................T.........T
                         DSO
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1718 on: July 30, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »
are those brackets custom made?

Sure...Take a bar of aluminium, say 3mm thick and 30mm wide, then bend it, using a vise.

yep that's what I did but it was 5mm thick of some kind of galvanised steel alloy and I had no metal vise, just a woodwoorking clamp to hold it. I bent it by hand, felt like superman. :-DD

Left a mark on my palm for a couple of days. It worked so I am not complaining

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1720 on: July 31, 2020, 09:32:05 am »
Yes but a K lock is below halfway up the rear of these DSO's.

Why not a hook on the handlebar bolted to the upper shelf? Seems cleaner.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1721 on: July 31, 2020, 11:14:26 am »

yeah looks pretty comfortable. did you put it just for the siglent or you had it there anyway?

The shelves were around their current positions, i shifted the wall brackets a tad up and down mainly to fit the SSA and then for the upper shelf to stack 3 siglent units

My former 1104 was sitting there in its place before

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1722 on: August 01, 2020, 03:42:15 pm »
Today I wanted to test the waveform updaterate, using this cute toy: (Picture got lost....wtf)

It performed well, but in sequence mode, you will have set the trigger to normal - And in normal triger mode, the toy couldn´t measure..... :P

So sequence mode measure will follow when I get an alternative to the toy.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:33:02 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: KeBeNe

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1723 on: August 01, 2020, 11:18:24 pm »
I've posted my custom deskew fixture here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/scope-probe-deskew-fixture-pcb-project/
If anyone wants to take a look, please let me know what you think or if you see any issues with it. I decided on adjustable frequency and rise time to account for having a terminal block for custom current loop turns.

:)

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1724 on: August 01, 2020, 11:53:03 pm »
Excellent, was on my way to start a new thread because what we´ve discussed here would be "lost" against the topic.
Now you was first to start, really good.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf