Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 735657 times)

Wrenches of Death and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #1775 on: August 10, 2020, 04:09:41 pm »
That is nice, honest short comparison of some features, form someone who has both scopes and actually knows how to use them  ^-^.
Nice work Howard, thanks!

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1776 on: August 10, 2020, 07:48:53 pm »
Thank You Howard !  :D

I made up my mind and will open a new thread where the features between both scopes are listed, like math functions, trigger, etc..
Siglent support itself claimed the mso5000 as the "true" opponent to the sds2k and I want them to fill up their features they don´t got, but the rigol does...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:51:52 pm by Martin72 »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1777 on: August 10, 2020, 08:10:19 pm »

I made up my mind and will open a new thread where the features between both scopes are listed, like math functions, trigger, etc..
Siglent support itself claimed the mso5000 as the "true" opponent to the sds2k and I want them to fill up their features they don´t got, but the rigol does...

Some of the nuances are quite key, things you'd not glean when you read the brochures or datasheets. Now they might be in the user manual, but it's knowing the right question to ask. I thought things like Siglent not supplying probes with readout on the 100 & 200MHz units was a bit weird, or indeed the serial bus limitations on the search function.

The serial bus search function thing for me isn't much of a problem, I've trained myself over the years to use triggering techniques instead in my workflow, back to the days when deep memory was limited, and decodes were done in our head, i.e., a CRO!

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1778 on: August 10, 2020, 08:15:26 pm »
I thought things like Siglent not supplying probes with readout on the 100 & 200MHz units was a bit weird

The probe thing we got several times here - Even on the lowest  rigol 5000 you get the 350Mhz probes added.
The siglent costs "much more" and came with the cheapest things along....
But I did stop weeping in my cushion and take from time to time a look in ebay, for affordable probes.

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1779 on: August 12, 2020, 10:00:56 pm »
A minor bug:

When using a switchable X1/X10 probe with readout actuator, the scope says probe connected when switching from X1 to X10, and says probe disconnected when switching from X10 to X1. Neither message is correct, as the probe is connected at all times during the switching between X1 and X10.

This is a SDS2204X+.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1780 on: August 12, 2020, 10:23:51 pm »
Please post it there...

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1781 on: August 12, 2020, 11:44:54 pm »
A minor bug:

When using a switchable X1/X10 probe with readout actuator, the scope says probe connected when switching from X1 to X10, and says probe disconnected when switching from X10 to X1.
This is a SDS2204X+.
Could you please check the probes readout pin resistance for both 1x and 10x and report the values here.
I would expect 1x to be infinity like when using a BNC cable.
Neither message is correct, as the probe is connected at all times during the switching between X1 and X10.
Default is 1x without a probe, 1x probe or with a BNC cable connected where the scope doesn't differentiate if a 1x probe or BNC cable is connected or open BNC's for that matter.

Maybe if the OSD messaged: <insert last used attenuation>:1 probe disconnected it would be better for the users OSD message.  :-//
Whaddya reckon ?
Feature request ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mysiak

« Reply #1782 on: August 13, 2020, 09:41:13 am »

Yes, please! I would very much appreciate it.

Also what would be great is to collect a wishlist for some possible software improvements in one table to be able see if
there's any progress. Ideally as some online spreadsheet.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1783 on: August 13, 2020, 10:25:56 am »
A minor bug:

When using a switchable X1/X10 probe with readout actuator, the scope says probe connected when switching from X1 to X10, and says probe disconnected when switching from X10 to X1. Neither message is correct, as the probe is connected at all times during the switching between X1 and X10.

This is a SDS2204X+.

It cannot be done.. Scope doesn't detect if something is connected to BNC. It  can only detect if ring on the outside of BNC is connected to pin on a 10x probe. So it knows if ring on the 10x probe is or isn't connected. It doesn't know if you connected BNC cable to it.

So it can only show "10x probe detected" , "10X probe was detected but now is not being detected anymore since few seconds ago" or "I have no clue if something is connected"..

Offline cardre

• Contributor
« Reply #1784 on: August 13, 2020, 02:02:49 pm »
Wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with channel 4 being off in the vertical scale, especially noticeable in the 500uV scale?

Not sure if I need to add this to the bugs thread, so though I'd ask here first if any other 2000X Plus users have noticed the same thing. Its only with channel 4, but even having left the scope on for many hours to warm up and run multiple self calibrations (just before these screen shots again) I seem to see a large offset with nothing connected to channel 4's inputs.

I've noticed it because I've been doing some measurements using several of the channels for inputs and outputs of a signal processing circuit I'm working on and wondered why I was always having the trace on channel 4 always as showing as being off, when I'm expecting an essentially zero offset. You'll see from the measurements this is also affecting Pk-Pk and RMS measurements as well. As I was trying to measure noise on an opamp circuit, these Pk-Pk and RMS values were worrying me, but realised I think there's this scope issue with channel 4.

I realise on a 500uV scale, there will always be some slight offsets, and I've switched on the other channels 1-3 to show as a comparison as well. Channels 1-3 do what I'd expect, but I've noticed the problem now several times with channel 4. So I've just done 2 self calibrations in a row to try and fix it, but still there. It doesn't seem to make a difference in 8 bit or 10 bit mode either.

I've been able to narrow it down to being the worst when channel 4 is DC coupled with 50 Ohm termination. This is my first screenshot. Second is not as bad when in 1M Ohm termination, but still too far out for my liking, especially for this scale. These are all taken with nothing connected to any of the inputs, to try and isolate the issue, but the problem is coming up with my supplied probes being connected as well.

Is it a hardware issue with channel 4 on my scope? Or is this something that needs to be fixed with a firmware update to correct the self calibration function for channel 4?

Be interested if others could try it on their scopes with channel 4 in the 500uV scale and see if they notice the same issue.

Thanks.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1785 on: August 13, 2020, 02:49:55 pm »
Just notice the labeling C1, C2, C3, C4.

Isn´t it more common to use CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4 in the industry? :)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1786 on: August 13, 2020, 03:40:21 pm »
A drink was spilled on the new SDS2102X Plus and required disassembly to clean and dry up. :-\

Per request here's a few images of the inside to compare with the 4 channel version.

Must say this is one of the best overall constructed electronic instruments I've experienced. The sheet metal work is beautifully done and fits like a glove. The power supply and main PCB are of equal quality. Everything about this instrument just speaks to good engineering and quality, well done Siglent :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: tautech, jundar

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1787 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »
Could you please check the probes readout pin resistance for both 1x and 10x and report the values here.
I would expect 1x to be infinity like when using a BNC cable.

Default is 1x without a probe, 1x probe or with a BNC cable connected where the scope doesn't differentiate if a 1x probe or BNC cable is connected or open BNC's for that matter.

Maybe if the OSD messaged: <insert last used attenuation>:1 probe disconnected it would be better for the users OSD message.  :-//
Whaddya reckon ?
Feature request ?

1X is open circuit and 10X is 12K.

As 2N3055 points out, based solely on the RA sensor, there is no way to distinguish between 1X and no probe.

In my case, the probe was still connected to a signal which was being displayed as I switched form 10X to 1X. So obviously the scope could have known that the probe hadn't been disconnected. Probably not something most users would expect it to do.

Rather I would suggest that the message say that the Channel has changed to 1X, or 10X, etc. Drop the probe connected or disconnected part of the message.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1788 on: August 13, 2020, 06:54:33 pm »
Also what would be great is to collect a wishlist for some possible software improvements in one table to be able see if
there's any progress. Ideally as some online spreadsheet.

We already got the wishlist : Bugs and Missing Features Thread

Martin

Offline famalex

• Contributor

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1790 on: August 14, 2020, 04:06:06 pm »
Date:       8/12/2020
Version:   1.3.5R10
Revision: 1. Fixed a bug that a firmware upgrade kills the scope if a previous upgrade from the WebServer was failed.

The following users thanked this post: kado, thinkfat, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1791 on: August 14, 2020, 04:18:41 pm »
So what to do about it? :-//

This is a general thread for all siglent products, the other for the sds2k+ only.

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1792 on: August 14, 2020, 05:59:13 pm »
This is a general thread for all siglent products, the other for the sds2k+ only.

Are you sure?

The thread name for this thread in the forum index is "Siglent SDS2000X Plus"

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1793 on: August 14, 2020, 06:01:20 pm »
No,

I don´t mean THIS thread as a general, see his link.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1794 on: August 14, 2020, 07:12:49 pm »
A drink was spilled on the new SDS2102X Plus and required disassembly to clean and dry up. :-\

Per request here's a few images of the inside to compare with the 4 channel version.

Must say this is one of the best overall constructed electronic instruments I've experienced. The sheet metal work is beautifully done and fits like a glove. The power supply and main PCB are of equal quality. Everything about this instrument just speaks to good engineering and quality, well done Siglent :-+

Best,

The scope has been thoroughly cleaned and reassembled, final cleanup was the control panel and PCB had some sticky drink residue. Let scope run for an hour to warm up then did a self-cal (nice feature!). Gave the Bode plot a quick run with a simple RC low pass, here's the result. Back in business :-+

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1795 on: August 14, 2020, 07:54:17 pm »
Puuhhh, lucky one  ;D :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1796 on: August 14, 2020, 08:23:10 pm »
Date:       8/12/2020
Version:   1.3.5R10
Revision: 1. Fixed a bug that a firmware upgrade kills the scope if a previous upgrade from the WebServer was failed.
Good !
Best V1.3.5R3 is removed so to not cause more issues.

Q.
Only that issue was fixed ?  :-//
None of the other bugs ?

I guess we'll just have to check for ourselves.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1797 on: August 14, 2020, 08:35:24 pm »
FWIw the unit I received last week was loaded with 1.3.5R7.

Seems they like to tinker.

It’s a double edged sword, frequent releases often means there’s a risk of bugs due to lack of regression testing. On the other hand, there’s the other option of chucking it out and rarely revisiting, a la Rigol.

If I am to draw any conclusions in my comparison between the MSO5000 way and the SDS2000X Plus way, I have been very surprised and impressed about the quality of the firmware from the Siglent, it far surpassed my expectations, but then I’d been in tears over the Rigol for a couple of days earlier.

If anyone wants any more comparative tests doing, please let me know and I’ll see if I can do it.

To Tautech: is there a front panel protection cover for SDS2000X+?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1798 on: August 14, 2020, 08:45:30 pm »
FWIw the unit I received last week was loaded with 1.3.5R7.
Good to know....must check mine.

To Tautech: is there a front panel protection cover for SDS2000X+?
Not AFAIK.

Never seen any listed in the accessories and nutthing on my price list.
Ohio branch do a hardcase but we can't get them outside the US: ......already tried.
https://siglentna.com/product/hard-shell-carry-case/

Martin found one in the EU for his Plus.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: August 14, 2020, 08:45:48 pm »
Puuhhh, lucky one  ;D :-+

Yes, very lucky indeed  :phew:

Don't think this was in Siglent's design requirements tho :o

The good news is I got a first hand self guided tour of the scope's insides.  Was a complete surprise just how well this scope is designed and assembled, not just a pretty face on a cheaply designed and assembled device like we've all often seen before. Everything is 1st class, from the metalwork, the PCBs, mounting, even using inserts & bolts where you would expect sheet metal screws. The front panel has a very nice silicone membrane with the push buttons molded on, it covers most of the Front Panle PCB and helped protect the PCB from the liquid (the scope actually worked after it dried from the drink spill, the membrane help contain the spill). 

Best,

~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf