Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 734613 times)

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #2825 on: September 13, 2021, 03:01:02 pm »
 Just make sure to order ones with at least a 1W (preferably 2W) power dissipation rating for this usage case (I checked and the input resistor whether a T or Pi type of 6dB will be dissipating some 425mW with an 8vrms input signal level).  :)
John

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2826 on: September 13, 2021, 04:41:59 pm »
Yes. I've ordered 10W types with 20db and 6db to be ready for whatever might come.  :-)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2827 on: September 13, 2021, 05:22:16 pm »
Yes. I've ordered 10W types with 20db and 6db to be ready for whatever might come.  :-)

Once they get in, you need to measure attenuation exactly, so you can define custom probe. They probably won't be 2x or 10x exactly.. maybe 1.94 or 2.04.. but you can enter probe ratio as a decimal number and get pretty close..
Have fun!

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good, Peter_O

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2828 on: September 13, 2021, 07:32:06 pm »
Seems like my results are slightly faster, but also looks like worse overshoot. Did you check how much overshoot you got?

Checked it "now", see below ( don´t know how to put images in the post).
See also a lecroy Waverunner 9054 (500Mhz, 20GSa/s) handle the bodnar pulse.

The following users thanked this post: blurpy

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2829 on: September 13, 2021, 07:39:41 pm »
In the posting window most left 2nd row icon places img flags in your post window. Post then edit placing attachment URL (previously copied  ;) ) between the img flags. Then Save.

Look at syntax by quoting another post for clues.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good, Martin72

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2830 on: September 13, 2021, 10:04:53 pm »
See also a lecroy Waverunner 9054 (500Mhz, 20GSa/s) handle the bodnar pulse.
Waverunner 9054 running at 500MHz will have Gaussian response, and will have faster risetime.
All in all, I would say little SIglent looks quite well compared, using 2GS/s sampling rate..

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2831 on: September 13, 2021, 10:11:47 pm »
This little siglent is a gem, no doubt about it.
Others I know who are working daily with much more expensive scopes are impressed too.
Sure it got some limitations in comparison, but what the sds2k+ got, that works very well.
And I´ve compare it with models beyond 10000 bucks...
I like it a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2832 on: September 14, 2021, 06:16:41 am »
Tried it now :)

Checked it "now", see below

I think these are the screenshots where we used the same settings? Did you use dot mode and fast sinc too?

Could the difference in overshoot and rise time be related to calibration, or small differences due to tolerances of components in the front end of the scope?
I see from the spec sheet that came with my Leo Bodnar Pulser that it has an overshoot of 5.8% on their reference scope.

Mostly I'm wondering if what I see is OK for this scope or not, because if I zoom out a bit, it's a really ugly square wave (I'm not used to seeing fast signals though):

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2833 on: September 14, 2021, 07:17:58 am »

Mostly I'm wondering if what I see is OK for this scope or not, because if I zoom out a bit, it's a really ugly square wave (I'm not used to seeing fast signals though):

Since I'm not in a mood for long answer (weird, right?), short answer is, yes that is allright.

These are sub nanosecond (actually tens of picoseconds in Leo's pulser case) events.
Connect a piece of coax between pulser and scope and tell me what you see. Then keep looking a the screen and start twisting cable...

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline pappa52

« Reply #2834 on: September 14, 2021, 10:43:42 am »
hello,
I'm a new member on this forum, and i have studied carefully especially SDS2000X Plus articles. This forum is very good and informative, it has helped me in my decision  to order one SDS2104X Plus oscilloscope with bundled options package. I got the scope about week ago, I'm impressed of the device. Now I have a lot to learn how to use it efficiently.

After few days I also noticed a faint ticking noise on the scope fan. I opened the torx10 screws on scope's backside near the fan some amount. Believe or not but the faint ticking noise disappeared from my device. In my case the screws were originally very tight, maybe the fan were slightly compressed.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2835 on: September 14, 2021, 10:53:48 am »
hello,
I'm a new member on this forum, and i have studied carefully especially SDS2000X Plus articles. This forum is very good and informative, it has helped me in my decision  to order one SDS2104X Plus oscilloscope with bundled options package. I got the scope about week ago, I'm impressed of the device. Now I have a lot to learn how to use it efficiently.

After few days I also noticed a faint ticking noise on the scope fan. I opened the torx10 screws on scope's backside near the fan some amount. Believe or not but the faint ticking noise disappeared from my device. In my case the screws were originally very tight, maybe the fan were slightly compressed.

Interesting, it probably changed vibration transfer...

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2836 on: September 14, 2021, 11:19:17 am »
@blurpy

May change to pixel mode too and on display with colored levels.

Than switch simple CH2 on input opened and than  CH2 off and CH3 on  :palm:  :-DD

Also using 10 MHz on CH1 and switch the roll mode ON  :palm:

Rolling as with lost of signals  :-DD:

----------------       --------------------------------------------------------------
                 \    /
----------------       --------------------------------------------------------------

The final question would be on looking on fast rising/falling edges without overshoots:

. the required BW as 100X by Square wave signal

. probes BW

. Linear phase behavior to draw real square waves even on 100x by square wave signal

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:22:43 am by hpw »

Offline pappa52

« Reply #2837 on: September 14, 2021, 01:21:15 pm »

Sorry, I do not know that term.

For the fan I have a plan to change it to another quieter brand, even without ticking I find the noise of fan disturbing. I have worked earlier several times in very noisy environments in factories, maybe that's why I'm kind of sensitive for noise. My hobby corner was very quiet until now, I'll try to keep it like it was.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2838 on: September 14, 2021, 01:28:40 pm »
hello,

Be thankful you couldn't afford a lecroy Waverunner 9054 or you'd be spending the next 12 months familiarising yourself with its rather fulsome and complex feature set. I'd thought the "20GSa/s" in Martin72's post must have been a typo until I did a search on "lecroy Waverunner 9054" and found LeCroy's specifications list. I spent a good 15 minutes alone just trawling through its impressively long feature set!

Then I spotted this item;

Nominal Power Consumption   285 W / 285 VA
Max. Power Consumption   375 W / 375 VA (with all PC peripherals and active probes connected to 4 channels)

And, to think I used to feel a bit miffed over the 54W my SDS21504X+ was burning up! Strange how all it takes for an attitude adjustment to kick in, is to look at just how much greater an issue this is in kit that's at least an order of magnitude higher in spec. ::)

One thing I noticed about that power requirements spec, was the implied 1.0 PF rating which made me think that the only way to achieve such a rating with most smpsus is to power them directly from a DC source which, strangely isn't a listed option (possibly simply due to it effectively disabling the AC line trigger input option).

If you're testing a collection of fans taken from scrapped desktop PCs, all it takes to quieten any 'ticky' ones is to gently twist their frames or conversely, to make them 'ticky' when checking a prospective replacement for the possibility of a silent fan turning into a noisy one after being mounted in place a faulty fan, The clearances are so small that it doesn't take much distortion of their frames to turn a perfectly quiet fan into a 'ticky' fan, so I rather think you've found 'the cure' in this case. :)

A lot of this kit is assembled with powered screwdrivers set to a dangerously close to the limit torque setting. Managing to loosen those torx10 screws without the extra stress of this action being the final straw that strips out the insert (or threads in the case of self tappers straight into the plastic) and tightening them back up to a more sane torque level is a good thing to have done regardless, It reduces the chance of such extraction damage years later, possibly even the chance that the overstressed thread inserts or plastic finally give way before you ever get round to undoing those screws.

I can't say I noticed any ticking sounds when I first tested mine just over a year ago (and I did make a point of closely auditioning the fan, mainly listening for the level of wind rush rather than for any out of place ticking noises).

Admittedly, my hearing isn't as good as it used to be just 5 years ago but I can still hear any higher pitched noises such as the 495Hz PWM from an Arduino Nano that's controlling the speed of an 19 volted 12v CPU fan cooler bolted to the baseplate of an LPRO 101 I've been running on my test bench for the past two or three months.

I've just powered the SDS2000X+ back up to check and placing my ear close to the fan provides no hint of any such noise, just the faintest perception of wind rush noise, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in this regard. :) Perhaps the torque settings had been spot on when mine was being made and they've since drifted higher with the more recent production batches?

This observation of noisy fans seems to be associated with more recent purchases, so this is a reasonable guess at a likely cause for this detriment. Anyone else who has experienced this particular annoyance could well benefit by following your example, even if it's just to check whether these torx screws have been over tightened and to remedy the situation to save any problems in the future.
John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2839 on: September 14, 2021, 01:39:30 pm »

Sorry, I do not know that term.

For the fan I have a plan to change it to another quieter brand, even without ticking I find the noise of fan disturbing. I have worked earlier several times in very noisy environments in factories, maybe that's why I'm kind of sensitive for noise. My hobby corner was very quiet until now, I'll try to keep it like it was.

Age related hearing loss is both a curse and a blessing. One of the 'blessings' in this case, being that 'noisy fans' become less of an issue in a home lab environment. :-\
John

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2840 on: September 14, 2021, 04:33:47 pm »
Since I'm not in a mood for long answer (weird, right?), short answer is, yes that is allright.

These are sub nanosecond (actually tens of picoseconds in Leo's pulser case) events.
Connect a piece of coax between pulser and scope and tell me what you see. Then keep looking a the screen and start twisting cable...

Thanks!

I tried connecting it with a 1m coax in the middle. Twisting it, at least without destroying the cable, seemed to make no difference on the screen. The cable made a difference to the measurement in general though:

Rise time increased by 20ps, and overshoot decreased by about 3%. Actually surprised the cable didn't add more to the rise time.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2841 on: September 14, 2021, 05:22:28 pm »
@blurpy
I don't think I understand :-\

Offline bobof

• Contributor
« Reply #2842 on: September 15, 2021, 08:10:33 am »
For anyone pulling their hair out trying to get the excellent Net Storage feature to work on Windows 10 - if it is instantly failing to mount, and all the details and permissions are correct, it seems you may have to have re-installed SMB1 support on your PC, which Microsoft helpfully keep removing.  I had to reboot PC after installing SMB1 client and server to get it to work.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2843 on: September 15, 2021, 08:19:59 am »
For anyone pulling their hair out trying to get the excellent Net Storage feature to work on Windows 10 - if it is instantly failing to mount, and all the details and permissions are correct, it seems you may have to have re-installed SMB1 support on your PC, which Microsoft helpfully keep removing.  I had to reboot PC after installing SMB1 client and server to get it to work.

Yes, excelent note! Same as when you try to connect older Widows or other embedder devices to win10.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2844 on: September 15, 2021, 09:34:56 am »
@blurpy

While YOU have also a fast rise & falling 10MHz square wave,

Edge viewing:

Picture 1 using CH1 (with signal) & CH2 (no connected)

Picture 2 using CH1 (with signal) & CH2 (no connected), CH1 looks like only using CH1

Roll viewing:

Picture 1 & 2, as not able to smooth rolling & signal looks like having holes  :palm:

Just go figure  :-- time for any better  ;D

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2845 on: September 15, 2021, 09:55:03 am »

So that everyone knows why MS keeps removing SMB1:

STOP USING SMB1!

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2846 on: September 15, 2021, 11:14:31 am »
@blurpy

While YOU have also a fast rise & falling 10MHz square wave,

Edge viewing:

Picture 1 using CH1 (with signal) & CH2 (no connected)

Picture 2 using CH1 (with signal) & CH2 (no connected), CH1 looks like only using CH1

Roll viewing:

Picture 1 & 2, as not able to smooth rolling & signal looks like having holes  :palm:

Just go figure  :-- time for any better  ;D

You really don't understand?

It is aliasing because of severe undersampling. As it should, it is sampling criteria being violated.
They all should do this, right?

Let's try with Keysight..:

Whaaat ?   Keysight MSOX3000T shows solid brick... Hmm why?

Because they are cheating (or shall I say automatically set) by switching to Peak detect mode behind your back.
Keysight does a lot of those "behind the scene" "adjustments" to all aspects of scope to keep illusion of CRT scope.

Ahh now, what to do?
If you go into Acquire menu on your SDS2000x+, and set Acquisition from Normal to Peak detect, what you see ??   :o
Aahh, that's it, like on a CRT scope, a solid brick of signal.
Is this what you expected to see?

Picoscope also switches to Peak detect when running in Roll mode. But that is well documented, unlike Keysight. They keep it straight.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:19:19 am by 2N3055 »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2847 on: September 15, 2021, 05:59:21 pm »

You really don't understand?

It is aliasing because of severe undersampling. As it should, it is sampling criteria being violated.
They all should do this, right?

Yes, now... all is about rising & falling edges of a 1GHz square wave...

Using a 10MHz square wave (much lower rise & fall time) do not show the holes on Roll mode..

I expected on Roll mode some smooth wave for moving... the Navigate & play do this ..

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:56:44 pm by hpw »

Offline gforster

« Reply #2848 on: September 16, 2021, 02:02:30 pm »

That's one of the reasons why I changed several years ago OS from Windows (also called Windoof in Germany) to a linux OS (Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS). Access from SDS2104X+ to network shares works just flawlessly with NFS. I very much like the new Siglent feature that offers to store data on a network drive rather than just on an USB stick.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2849 on: September 16, 2021, 02:07:22 pm »
I very much like the new Siglent feature that offers to store data on a network drive rather than just on an USB stick.

Next step will be: the cloud.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf