Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 736012 times)

Bad_Driver and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #2850 on: September 16, 2021, 02:19:48 pm »
For anyone pulling their hair out trying to get the excellent Net Storage feature to work on Windows 10 - if it is instantly failing to mount, and all the details and permissions are correct, it seems you may have to have re-installed SMB1 support on your PC, which Microsoft helpfully keep removing.  I had to reboot PC after installing SMB1 client and server to get it to work.

That's one of the reasons why I changed several years ago OS from Windows (also called Windoof in Germany) to a linux OS (Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS). Access from SDS2104X+ to network shares works just flawlessly with NFS. I very much like the new Siglent feature that offers to store data on a network drive rather than just on an USB stick.

It works flawlessly because it is now double insecure.  >:D
It still supports old, Windows XP style SMB1, on server and client. It supports higher SMB2 and SMB3 also, but doesn't disable SMB1 like Microsoft did.
I know about issues tv84 mentions. It is not a problem on private, small networks but vulnerability is there.
OTOH, I yet have to see newspaper title "Electrical engineer stole 120 Millions USD from a bank using hacked scope"...
But, hey, you never know ...

Offline umgfoin

« Reply #2851 on: September 16, 2021, 02:28:23 pm »
For anyone pulling their hair out trying to get the excellent Net Storage feature to work on Windows 10 - if it is instantly failing to mount, and all the details and permissions are correct, it seems you may have to have re-installed SMB1 support on your PC, which Microsoft helpfully keep removing.  I had to reboot PC after installing SMB1 client and server to get it to work.

I already filed a report to Siglent Germany.

If you have access to the instrument's command line:
Code: [Select]
umount /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/net_storage
mount -t cifs -o vers=3.0,username=foo,password=bar,rw,soft //HostIP/Share /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/net_share
will do the job correctly and enable SMB3 dialect...
++umgfoin
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:36:16 pm by umgfoin »
SDS2104X Plus
SW: 1.5.2R1, Uboot: 5.0, FPGA: 2022.xx-xx
CPLD: 03, HW: 02-04

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, Bad_Driver, casterle, trebejo

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2852 on: September 16, 2021, 06:24:06 pm »
After few days I also noticed a faint ticking noise on the scope fan. I opened the torx10 screws on scope's backside near the fan some amount. Believe or not but the faint ticking noise disappeared from my device. In my case the screws were originally very tight, maybe the fan were slightly compressed.
This sounded promising, so I gave it a go. Unfortunately it made no difference on my unit.
I tried first with the power off, but when I couldn't hear any difference I tried adjusting the screws while the fan was running as well, but no dice.

Two screws were very tight though, so they are at least unstuck now.

Did anyone else have success with this trick?

Offline casterle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2853 on: September 16, 2021, 08:48:32 pm »
If you have access to the instrument's command line:
Code: [Select]
umount /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/net_storage
mount -t cifs -o vers=3.0,username=foo,password=bar,rw,soft //HostIP/Share /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/net_share
will do the job correctly and enable SMB3 dialect...
++umgfoin

How does one get access to this command line?

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #2854 on: September 17, 2021, 07:56:04 am »
how did you create a digital test pulse with sub nS rise time ?
and at the same time be able to drive scope inputs ?
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2855 on: September 17, 2021, 08:53:01 am »
how did you create a digital test pulse with sub nS rise time ?
and at the same time be able to drive scope inputs ?
To ask questions and keep them in context to a certain post use the Quote feature.  ;)

Many own one of Leo's 10 MHz pulsers:
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=295

Rise time shown will of course be dependent on scope model.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2856 on: September 17, 2021, 09:19:54 am »
wow nice thanks, so the PIC is the pulse setup and usb interface,
and the little AJK AAA part is the magic pulse driver (linedriver) of some sort, with insane rise time capeabilities,
I see he also uses the rigt type of wide caps to be able to get the power this fast.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2857 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:01 am »
wow nice thanks, so the PIC is the pulse setup and usb interface,
and the little AJK AAA part is the magic pulse driver (linedriver) of some sort, with insane rise time capeabilities,
I see he also uses the rigt type of wide caps to be able to get the power this fast.
Leo's thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/yet-another-fast-edge-pulse-generator/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2858 on: September 17, 2021, 09:44:14 am »
thanks, I already found it
I am impressed, that dude know his hi speed
great design.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2859 on: September 18, 2021, 05:01:09 am »
I have not ever owned anything with a touch screen, how do people keep it clean ?? I suppose do not eat fried chicken without washing hands first.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2860 on: September 18, 2021, 05:09:23 am »
I have not ever owned anything with a touch screen, how do people keep it clean ?? I suppose do not eat fried chicken without washing hands first.
Just wipe with it paper towels.
But really as it's not a glossy glass and even if the light is behind you, you actually don't notice finger marks until there's a lot.
IME if needing to use touch a mouse provides for a better and faster use of the UI.
YMMV
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2861 on: September 18, 2021, 09:45:19 am »
you can use it, without the need of touching the screen,
just use the dials and buttons, and a mouse in the rare need of input something you cant dial to.
you can also set the pop ups to be auto removed after some time.

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2862 on: September 18, 2021, 09:53:31 am »
Since my Scope is behind my working area I bought this some month ago, very handy.
Much better than try to reach the scope behind the DUT.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, wolfy007, Johnny B Good

Offline Tankj

• Contributor
« Reply #2863 on: September 18, 2021, 02:07:26 pm »
I just upgraded my 2000X+ and tested some new features, they are all great!

BUT, yes there always a "but", Could anyone school me what is so called "Track plot"?

I think I found this item under the measurement menu, as the pics below, but it always says "NULL".  Tried everything under the  measurement menu, still can't make it available.

What is this? How to use it properly?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2864 on: September 18, 2021, 02:36:30 pm »
I just upgraded my 2000X+ and tested some new features, they are all great!

BUT, yes there always a "but", Could anyone school me what is so called "Track plot"?

I think I found this item under the measurement menu, as the pics below, but it always says "NULL".  Tried everything under the  measurement menu, still can't make it available.
(Attachment Link)

What is this? How to use it properly?

Track plot is used to show (as a graph plot) how certain measurement changes in time.

You need to enable some measurement and then you select that measurement for source.

Example would be if you take, say, 1Mhz FM modulated signal with 1kHz sinewave, with modulation deviation of, say, 50kHz.
Put scope at 200us/div and all you would see would be a bit wobbly fat line.
Enable frequency measurement, and then select frequency as TREND source... It should show modulation signal..

You can use same for PWM, where you enable Duty+ measurement and enable trend on that one. It should show PWM modulation nicely..

There is something to have in mind:  Some measurements are performed one every signal cycle in acquired buffer. If you have 1000 periods of signal in a capture, it will make that measurement 1000 times. Some measurement are preformed on buffer as a whole. So for one single capture you only get one measurement.

Good example is  "RMS" (whole interval you captured yields one result) and "cycle RMS" (that will give you back many results in one captured buffer).

You can guess which one can be enabled for Trend and which ones cannot?  ^-^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 02:38:43 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt, Tankj

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2865 on: September 18, 2021, 02:39:02 pm »
Out of curiosity, I tested the pulse response of the scope with my Leo-device.
All channels each after the other, no surprises, as expected. See the pictures.

Offline Tankj

• Contributor
« Reply #2866 on: September 18, 2021, 07:09:33 pm »
There is something to have in mind:  Some measurements are performed one every signal cycle in acquired buffer. If you have 1000 periods of signal in a capture, it will make that measurement 1000 times. Some measurement are preformed on buffer as a whole. So for one single capture you only get one measurement.

Good example is  "RMS" (whole interval you captured yields one result) and "cycle RMS" (that will give you back many results in one captured buffer).

Thank you 2N3055!!  It works exactly as you say!  I get a clear view of the modulation signal, pics shows a FM Triangle wave. (Pic 1)

As you mentioned, ALL "cycle XXX" measurements can run the "Track plot". But again I found another problem, none of the Vertical measurements can show any outputs on "Track plot" window!! Not only can’t display an AM modulated signal, it can’t even output a plain line with a simple waveform input.

pic2 shows a 1.4V RMS sinewave, Manually set to scale, should expect a plain line on 1.4V label, but there are nothing. Auto set is unusable, seems it can't get any data from measurements.

:-// :-// :-// A bug or something?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:13:40 pm by Tankj »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2867 on: September 18, 2021, 08:14:12 pm »

Thank you 2N3055!!  It works exactly as you say!  I get a clear view of the modulation signal, pics shows a FM Triangle wave. (Pic 1)

As you mentioned, ALL "cycle XXX" measurements can run the "Track plot". But again I found another problem, none of the Vertical measurements can show any outputs on "Track plot" window!! Not only can’t display an AM modulated signal, it can’t even output a plain line with a simple waveform input.

pic2 shows a 1.4V RMS sinewave, Manually set to scale, should expect a plain line on 1.4V label, but there are nothing. Auto set is unusable, seems it can't get any data from measurements.

I don't know, I don't have sds2000X+ to try it out...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2868 on: September 18, 2021, 08:58:55 pm »

It must be getting late or you're dead tired.  :P

Pretty difficult to calculate trends with so few samples on the display.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2869 on: September 18, 2021, 09:08:14 pm »
Since my Scope is behind my working area I bought this some month ago, very handy.
Much better than try to reach the scope behind the DUT.

Yes but if you click on any alphanumeric input box a virtual keyboard appears which is pretty quick to use with a mouse.
Clicking on boxes is not obvious at first however it works very well and negates the need for a keyboard mostly unless you're working with long filenames and such.
Edit to add image.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:59:04 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2870 on: September 18, 2021, 09:16:28 pm »

It must be getting late or you're dead tired.  :P

Pretty difficult to calculate trends with so few samples on the display.  ;)

Well, both... And correct.

It should be tried with same 1 MHz carrier and same 1 kHz modulation...Just AM..

Offline Faranight

• Supporter
« Reply #2871 on: September 18, 2021, 09:46:59 pm »
Hey, I'm gonna quickly budge in here for a moment.

I'm also interested in buying a Siglent SDS2000X+ scope as an upgrade from my Rigol DS1052E, and I was hoping for some suggestions. I've done some reading on the forum and google, and there seems to be a lot of info on these models, some of it contradicting. I was looking at the 4 channel scopes. The SDS2354X+ seems a bit expensive, but I was wondering, if there is any benefit of buying the SDS2204X+ over SDS2104X+ (price difference about 850 EUR)? Both seem to come with 200 MHz probes, and apparently they can be unlocked to higher frequencies. I've read somewhere they can both be unlocked to 500 MHz (in which case, what's the point of buying the more expensive model), but in another thread I read that the SDS2104X+ can only be upgraded to 200 MHz, and the SDS2204X can only be upgraded to 350 MHz.

I have a few more weeks to do the purchase to also get the logic analyzer probes cheaper.

Thanks.

e-Mail? e-Fail.

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2873 on: September 18, 2021, 10:54:07 pm »
Oh-oh.... ;D

One of my "forum-colleagues" bought the logic thing at full price, a few weeks ago...

I've read somewhere they can both be unlocked to 500 MHz (in which case, what's the point of buying the more expensive model), but in another thread I read that the SDS2104X+ can only be upgraded to 200 MHz, and the SDS2204X can only be upgraded to 350 MHz.

I´ve got the SDS2104X+, like imho 99% of all SDS2K+ buyers, and it´s unlocked to 500Mhz without any problem.
Like 99% of all others... 8)

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf