Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 735179 times)

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #2900 on: September 25, 2021, 09:44:23 pm »
If they provided 200 Msamples FFT they would be pretty unique in this part of universe for scopes of this class...
You have to go to pretty advanced scope to get to that order of magnitude  FFT sizes..

Yes, but all you would hear is the whining about the update rate!  :)
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline hj

• Contributor
« Reply #2901 on: September 26, 2021, 05:53:14 am »
(I guess it won't be soon, in the next FW  in a year :).

you are scaring me...  8)

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2902 on: September 26, 2021, 06:10:43 am »
Just statistics. We have been waiting for the latest firmware for almost a year.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #2903 on: September 30, 2021, 03:06:04 pm »
Promotion bundle is extended untill end of 2021  :-DD
eurofox

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #2904 on: September 30, 2021, 03:07:36 pm »
Just statistics. We have been waiting for the latest firmware for almost a year.

Ahem. A projection based on a sample size of n = 2 ? Okay...
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2905 on: September 30, 2021, 03:33:29 pm »

Ahem. A projection based on a sample size of n = 2 ? Okay...

Well, it allows for a straight line...  ::)  Better than n=1.  :-DD

Offline zeeloli6

« Reply #2906 on: October 01, 2021, 11:39:10 pm »
:rant:

https://int.siglent.com/info/detail-52.html

https://siglentna.com/news-article/save-up-to-538-with-a-new-sds2000x-plus-oscilloscope-and-option-bundle/

The $219 Probe/MSO/Function generator deal is now available in North America.... about 10 days after it got delivered from TEquipment.    |O 

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2907 on: October 02, 2021, 03:10:20 am »
The $219 Probe/MSO/Function generator deal is now available in North America.... about 10 days after it got delivered from TEquipment.    |O

Sorry to hear that, but I think I know what I'm getting for Christmas!
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2908 on: October 02, 2021, 03:30:18 am »

Sorry to hear that, but I think I know what I'm getting for Christmas!
Yeah but:
For a limited time, all new SDS2000X Plus purchases can get an option bundle for only $219.

Edit
OP updated.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:37:16 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline wdbarker3

• Contributor
« Reply #2909 on: October 11, 2021, 09:29:20 pm »
I saw, and was intrigued by the "Full Span" button. I don't know what it does, but it may be interesting to see after they fix FFT itself. FFT on SDS2000XP_1.3.9R4 just doesn't work. It worked a charm on SDS2000XP_1.3.7R5, but just doesn't work for me after the firmware burn.

I am Soooooooo happy to have the keypad (bluetooth dongle) work for cursors that I won't be going back to SDS2000XP_1.3.7R5, but I will be keeping the 1204X-P a while longer because it powers up way faster than I can backlevel the SDS2504X-P to the old version.

Pictures, if anyone cares

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, Deichgraf

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2910 on: October 11, 2021, 09:54:28 pm »
I saw, and was intrigued by the "Full Span" button. I don't know what it does, but it may be interesting to see after they fix FFT itself. FFT on SDS2000XP_1.3.9R4 just doesn't work. It worked a charm on SDS2000XP_1.3.7R5, but just doesn't work for me after the firmware burn.

I am Soooooooo happy to have the keypad (bluetooth dongle) work for cursors that I won't be going back to SDS2000XP_1.3.7R5, but I will be keeping the 1204X-P a while longer because it powers up way faster than I can backlevel the SDS2504X-P to the old version.

Pictures, if anyone cares

Full span should show full frequency span on X axis at current sampling frequency, and with current bin width. That means 0 to 1/2 of sampling frequency.
That is full FFT plot for current sampling.

With FFT, if you set it to show 9MHz to 10 MHz while sampling at 200 MS/s, scope calculates FFT from 0 to 100 MHz, and shows you only 9-10 MHz part. It won't sweep only from 9 -10 MHz. That is how FFT works.

Sometimes you want to see everything you can. Full span.
One use would be looking for EMC problems, where you want to see what is there.

And sometimes you do peek to center, because you connected 10 Mhz oscillator and want to see that peak...

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, Markus2801A

Offline wdbarker3

• Contributor
« Reply #2911 on: October 12, 2021, 08:49:00 pm »
I wonder where the other pictures went? Here they are. Showing the FFT working (on the old firmware) and not showing it failing (on the new firmware) did not get the replies I wanted. Go figure<g>!

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, Deichgraf

Offline wdbarker3

• Contributor
« Reply #2912 on: October 12, 2021, 09:02:57 pm »
Like I said, intriguing! I'll definitely play with this after I get FFT to work again. Thanks for the tip! BTW, just to be sure the FFT issue wasn't just low freq stuff, I put out a 10 MHz sin wave, with a 1 KHz sin AM Modulation at 100%, and FFT'd 9950-10050 KHz. I could not get the (looks really nice on the SDS1204X-E) sidebands to look at all right. Pics on request, but I found it interesting that I picked 10 MHz and so did you!

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2913 on: October 13, 2021, 01:23:28 am »
 The choice of 10MHz isn't so surprising. After all it is almost everyone's favourite frequency. :-DD
John

Offline wdbarker3

• Contributor
« Reply #2914 on: October 13, 2021, 03:10:14 pm »
I just heard from Siglent. Jason Chonko says "Hi Dan, | Confirmed issues. | I will send this to Engineering ASAP. | Sorry. | J", so, if you like FFT, hold off on the 3.9R4.

I still REALLY like the keypad setting cursors!

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, wolfy007, Bad_Driver

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2915 on: October 14, 2021, 05:39:28 pm »
Two of the probes I got with the scope has this effect:

I find it really annoying that it retracts so slow. The speed changes with the direction of the hook tip. Is it common for the probes to be like this?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2916 on: October 14, 2021, 05:48:05 pm »
Two of the probes I got with the scope has this effect:

...gif

I find it really annoying that it retracts so slow. The speed changes with the direction of the hook tip. Is it common for the probes to be like this?
No.
Needs a good clean probably.
The grabber hats do come apart which makes sorting them out easier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2917 on: October 14, 2021, 05:55:14 pm »
No.
Ok, interesting that new probes need cleaning. I'll ask my distributor if I should attempt taking them apart or what to do.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2918 on: October 14, 2021, 06:42:16 pm »
No.
Ok, interesting that new probes need cleaning. I'll ask my distributor if I should attempt taking them apart or what to do.
They must be binding on the sleeve behind the Gnd ring behind the tip.
Can you see any bulging behind the tip that might cause this problem ?
Try seating this plastic sleeve further onto the probe just in case it hasn't been assembled properly at the factory Siglent get these from.

The grabber hats should operate without the restriction of free movement your gif displays.

If not a simple fix claim a warranty replacement.

Oh and BTW check swapping grabber hats around between all your probes doesn't produce different results....just thinking you may have 2 different production lots with slight physical differences for the grabber hats to bind like in your gif.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:51:36 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, blurpy

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2919 on: October 15, 2021, 06:26:48 pm »
They must be binding on the sleeve behind the Gnd ring behind the tip.
Can you see any bulging behind the tip that might cause this problem ?

I can't see anything suspicious.

Try seating this plastic sleeve further onto the probe just in case it hasn't been assembled properly at the factory Siglent get these from.

I think you are talking about a sleeve that don't exist anymore on the new probes? On the PP215 probes for my SDS1204X-E there is a moveable plastic sleeve that covers the ground and slides into the probe hat. The new ones have a different sleeve that I can't adjust:

The new probe at the top, and the old probe at the bottom.

I don't see the slow retraction effect on my old probes btw, but I was thinking perhaps this was related to the new design.

The grabber hats should operate without the restriction of free movement your gif displays.

If not a simple fix claim a warranty replacement.

Oh and BTW check swapping grabber hats around between all your probes doesn't produce different results....just thinking you may have 2 different production lots with slight physical differences for the grabber hats to bind like in your gif.

Good idea, I did a mix and match of all the probes and hats:

I did find a combination that works pretty ok for all the probes at the same time, luckily. I'll try like this and see how it works out.

Seems the probes and the probe hats weren't matched were well initially. That must be a missing quality assurance step during assembly of the probes, as it would be noticed right away by testing the mechanics of the probe once. Maybe it's usually not necessary to match them as closely, and it's a production issue with some parts only. I think a test step should be a must in any case.

Thanks for the help tautech!

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Markus2801A, Serpent10i

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2920 on: October 15, 2021, 07:23:37 pm »
Thanks very much blurpy !  :-+

I'll report this as a QC issue to Siglent so they can take up with their probe supplier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2921 on: October 15, 2021, 07:53:49 pm »

I'll report this as a QC issue to Siglent so they can take up with their probe supplier.
Excellent :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2922 on: October 15, 2021, 08:03:41 pm »

Excellent :)
I have a X Plus to PD in the next day or so before it goes to a NZ Uni so for sure I'll be checking grabber hats for interchangeability and adding those findings to my report.
I had noticed the tiny oo on new probes but not spotted the change in front end construction so thanks also for documenting that.  :-+
Weekend here now and at the factory so will be a few days before we get anything back.

Thanks so much for building that chart and your work on this.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: blurpy

Offline wdbarker3

• Contributor
« Reply #2923 on: October 15, 2021, 10:09:56 pm »
I went through so many probes when I first got my SDS1204X-E. It was silly. Siglent sent me several, Amazon sent me several. Most worked for a few weeks. Then I remembered those multimeter leads I'd bought back in the 1990's. $70! at Tommy Ack's Radio Supply here in Aatlanta (RIP). That was more that the Rat-Shack meter I had plugged them into. They still work fine, grabbers and all. The "fine print" said "Probe Master". So, I got Probe Master 'scope probes. It was a bitch paying 60% of the cost of the 'scope for probes, but it's been over a year and not a hiccough!.

Of course, with my new SDS2504XP, the probes are only 20% of the cost of the 'scope! The Probe Master probes went on the new 'scope on day one, and I still haven't opened the envelopes of Siglent probes that came with the 'scope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2924 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:01 pm »
I went through so many probes when I first got my SDS1204X-E. It was silly. Siglent sent me several, Amazon sent me several. Most worked for a few weeks. Then I remembered those multimeter leads I'd bought back in the 1990's. $70! at Tommy Ack's Radio Supply here in Aatlanta (RIP). That was more that the Rat-Shack meter I had plugged them into. They still work fine, grabbers and all. The "fine print" said "Probe Master". So, I got Probe Master 'scope probes. It was a bitch paying 60% of the cost of the 'scope for probes, but it's been over a year and not a hiccough!.

Of course, with my new SDS2504XP, the probes are only 20% of the cost of the 'scope! The Probe Master probes went on the new 'scope on day one, and I still haven't opened the envelopes of Siglent probes that came with the 'scope.
Certainly probes are an area where Siglent needs to sharpen up.  :horse:
If we look at the NA listing a couple of reasonably priced alternatives have recently been discontinued  :-//
https://siglentna.com/products/accessories/probes/passive-probes/

Those remaining are NOT good value for money especially considering we can get 350 MHz 10x sensing probes in small volumes for just $40. Might be very interesting to get quotes for 10k probes from our supplier.  >:D
I sense some very interesting emails developing over the next few days......  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf