Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 714299 times)

techneut, Mahagam, Martin72, radiohomebrewer2000, optotester, Jerzy732, Deichgraf, InvisibleMan, BillyO, Performa01 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #3000 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:46 am »
Got my SDS2104X plus ...opened to a SDS2504X plus ;)

But I can not get multiple separate traces(windows) on the screen, only in FFT comes in a separate trace

Where is this menu ???

Offline Frex

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3001 on: November 30, 2021, 09:16:27 am »
Hello,

As I know, It is not possible to split the screen for each trace (if i understand well what you want to do).
In FFT mode as you have seen, it is possible to show it in split mode or not.

Frex

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3002 on: November 30, 2021, 09:37:07 am »
Thanks for the answer

But that surprises me....

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3003 on: November 30, 2021, 09:29:30 pm »
Hi,

Single-, dual-, quadgrid etc, you won´t find this nice feature on lower...mid-cost scopes(although I got it on my sds2k+ wishlist).
The sds5000 didn´t have it too and let´s hope for siglent, their new flagship will have it.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #3004 on: November 30, 2021, 09:50:34 pm »
I'm sure your brain will be happy to fill in the tones that it knows to usually go with that particular sensation, even if the ears have grown numb to them.
Huh?

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #3005 on: November 30, 2021, 10:07:08 pm »
I'm sure your brain will be happy to fill in the tones that it knows to usually go with that particular sensation, even if the ears have grown numb to them.
Huh?

I don't want to derail the thread, but it is essentially how our brain creates the reality we perceive: not what is actually there, but our brains best guess of what should be there. That sensation of pressure we feel without actually, physically hearing a sound is amended by the brain with information from way back when we were still physically able to "hear". Much like feeling a limb you've lost.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: trebejo

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3006 on: December 01, 2021, 07:05:36 am »
Hi,

Single-, dual-, quadgrid etc, you won´t find this nice feature on lower...mid-cost scopes(although I got it on my sds2k+ wishlist).
The sds5000 didn´t have it too and let´s hope for siglent, their new flagship will have it.

It is a so simple matter as it is just representation of data in another way.

Took me total by surprise...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3007 on: December 01, 2021, 07:57:22 am »
Hi,

It is a so simple matter as it is just representation of data in another way.

Took me total by surprise...

It is absolutely not surprising. If you take a bit of time and look around at other manufacturers, you will see that split viewports and user controlled screen layout is definitely not common feature.
In fact, try to find a single one that has something like that that is not based on PC motherboard and is high end scope costing more than 15000 USD new.

Would it be nice? Sure, I want it too.
Common and surprising that it doesn't have?
Quite the opposite, it would be surprising if it had it.

There is quite a lot of windowing anyways. You have separate measurement window, decode window. There are separate windows for detail histogram of measurements, markers and peaks, search, history navigation, track/trend plot, DVM, etc...

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3008 on: December 01, 2021, 02:05:49 pm »
I was "mislead" by the pictures of different function with separate windows...(function you mentioned) and thought that multi windows where of course there :)

I have used High-end scopes a long time ago and remembered them with separate windows :)

Anyway you get a lot of scope for the money (especially when it gets "released" with all the BW and options)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3009 on: December 01, 2021, 03:19:36 pm »
I have used High-end scopes a long time ago and remembered them with separate windows :)

Well, that might be because those scopes typically actually ran some version of Windows, so windows made sense.  I haven't used them a lot, but I've seen some in action.  I really don't think that windows (or Windows) is a good solution on a small-ish instrument screen.  Or at least it isn't better than a well-implemented scope display system using other methods. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3010 on: December 01, 2021, 03:20:59 pm »

Anyway you get a lot of scope for the money (especially when it gets "released" with all the BW and options)

Indeed :-+

Siglent has created the best valued higher end instrument we've ever had. Everything about the SDS2000X+ is so well done and useful. The UI is very good, and with a mouse really nice, a little slow if one is running 2M FFTs but that's expected! It's hard to find fault with these MSOs, sure you'll find the usual bickering about how the memory is implemented, and so on, usually by those that don't have one!! Our only serious complaint is why we can't get a true 12 bit ADC version here in NA :-[

Siglent has also created a monster, in that now all the Siglent instruments are "EXPECTED" to be as good as the SDS2000X+, and a very tough act to follow. The new released SDS6000 is at a different price point, and not available in NA in the 12 bit versions. Would be very nice if the SDS2000X+ were offered with a 12 bit ADC (new TI or AD ADCs) for a "Premium" SDS2000Z+ version ::)

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3011 on: December 01, 2021, 04:23:03 pm »

Well, that might be because those scopes typically actually ran some version of Windows, so windows made sense.  I haven't used them a lot, but I've seen some in action.  I really don't think that windows (or Windows) is a good solution on a small-ish instrument screen.  Or at least it isn't better than a well-implemented scope display system using other methods.

That was before windows ;)
When instruments bootet in few seconds ;)
It was some LeCroy's based on LeCroy sw running on 680XX CPU's
It was amazing what those BOX'es could do at that time :)
But for at LOT of money :)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3012 on: December 01, 2021, 09:51:32 pm »
This was what drives me mad before...
Our testfield are fullpacked with lecroy scopes, I´ve "learned" on these ones.
And they´re old, very old....
We got some 93XX here with yellow crts.... ;D
Also some waverunner lt 4-ch, some wavesurfers....
And two newer ones, our "flagships", a hdo6000A and a waverunner 9000....
And even the old 93XX have multigrid.... 8)
So I was confused, why new scopes, (more or less)regardless of the price, didn´t have this feature....It couldn´t be the hardware performance, when an old lecroy got it decades before.
But meanwhile I´ve accepted it, my sds2k+ won´t have it, now and in the future. ;)

After over a year, I can fully agree to maywatt, this scope is the real pricebreaker.
You won´t get more "professional feeling" for this value and above, until you come to the values of a sds5k.
Working with the new lecroys before, the UI of the sds2k+ felt immediately very familar to me, really nice.
OK, ok, the performance of the hdo6000a is a class beyond, no surprise.
But there are not less daily test situations, you won´t miss the hdo when working with the siglent.
And if I had a wish, I would wish a decoding UI, more similar to lecroy. :D
Actually, I test a board with SPI communication at work, I´ll post some pictures in the next days, how the UI of the lecroy looks like.
From a lecroy ws3024, also known as sds3k....

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:53:06 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3013 on: December 03, 2021, 02:57:58 am »
Some really good news for those that have purchased SDS2104X Plus, hacked it and need/want higher BW autosense probes.

It seems Siglent does want to sell probes and at really hot pricing too on the SP2000 and 3000 10x autosense range.
https://siglentna.com/products/accessories/probes/passive-probes/

Yes I may have helped them to see the obvious.  :horse:  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, blurpy, Peter_O, highpower

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #3014 on: December 03, 2021, 05:20:15 am »
Anyone has compared, how the SDS2000X Plus bus decode compares to 5000 series? The interface gets slowed down quite a lot with two buses active, wondering if it is good excuse for 5000 series there.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3015 on: December 03, 2021, 06:16:15 am »
Anyone has compared, how the SDS2000X Plus bus decode compares to 5000 series? The interface gets slowed down quite a lot with two buses active, wondering if it is good excuse for 5000 series there.
Try reducing the memory depth slightly if it's already set to the 200Mpts max.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: NCG

Offline Anik

• Contributor
« Reply #3016 on: December 03, 2021, 05:17:37 pm »
Hi there,

I'm having a problem with the SPI Decoder: After capturing an SPI sequence, which works well and shows the correct data (in the list view), I'd like to zoom in to see the full binary data also in the line view (where it is abbreviated). Hoewever, the full binaries only flash shortly and then vanish - I then see only two lines of MOSI and MISO, and no decoded data at all. It vanishes also from the list view. I only zoom up one additional level - and everything is gone (though signals of several bytes are on the screen). When I zoom back out, the abbreviated numbers return...

Am I just too stupid to use this correctly, or is it a bug? I'm using the latest firmware of the scope.

Cheers,
Anik

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3017 on: December 03, 2021, 05:33:56 pm »
Unlike other oscilloscopes, Siglent scopes only decode what is on screen. You have to use the zoom window to force a larger portion of decoded data to be available.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:38:08 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: zerto, Anik

Offline Anik

• Contributor
« Reply #3018 on: December 03, 2021, 07:06:25 pm »
Hi nctnico,

thanks for the explanation!

... Siglent scopes only decode what is on screen.  ...

However, that's a weird decision by Siglent: Either you may see that the data can be decoded (but can't read the truncated numbers), or you can zoom in and see no data at all  :scared:
(I had guessed, that Siglent must have had a reason to sell the logic probe as a summer special offer...)
But since this is a software issue, maybe Siglent will improve it some time?

Until then I'll stick to my small pocket LA   :-+

Cheers,
Anik
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:09:40 pm by Anik »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3019 on: December 03, 2021, 07:13:58 pm »
Hi there,

I'm having a problem with the SPI Decoder: After capturing an SPI sequence, which works well and shows the correct data (in the list view), I'd like to zoom in to see the full binary data also in the line view (where it is abbreviated). Hoewever, the full binaries only flash shortly and then vanish - I then see only two lines of MOSI and MISO, and no decoded data at all. It vanishes also from the list view. I only zoom up one additional level - and everything is gone (though signals of several bytes are on the screen). When I zoom back out, the abbreviated numbers return...

Am I just too stupid to use this correctly, or is it a bug? I'm using the latest firmware of the scope.

Cheers,
Anik
Simply, Siglent DSO's with deep memory are optimized for zoom in and the best way to use the deep memory is to capture long (slow) and zoom in for detailed inspection.
Zoom mode works well here using by the dual timebase feature and pan through the record or scroll the decode table.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: zerto, Anik

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3020 on: December 03, 2021, 07:34:50 pm »
Some really good news for those that have purchased SDS2104X Plus, hacked it and need/want higher BW autosense probes.

It seems Siglent does want to sell probes and at really hot pricing too on the SP2000 and 3000 10x autosense range.

Here in Europe it is 199€ plus tax for a SP3050A. So even more expensive than PML711A-RO. Lets hope prices will go down.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3021 on: December 03, 2021, 07:45:37 pm »

Here in Europe it is 199€ plus tax for a SP3050A. So even more expensive than PML711A-RO. Lets hope prices will go down.
Yes it may take a little time for old stock to be moved from some dealers however the new SP3050A pricing is nearly $100 less and is now $132.
SP2035A reduction is from $179 to $75 and is certainly very well priced now.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3022 on: December 03, 2021, 08:01:32 pm »
Unlike other oscilloscopes, Siglent scopes only decode what is on screen. You have to use the zoom window to force a larger portion of decoded data to be available.

Yep, I confirmed this through a bit of testing.

There are upsides and downsides to this approach.  The upside is that you can control which parts of the buffer are decoded, just by ensuring that they're visible on the screen.  The downside is that you have to use zoom mode in order to see subsets of the desired decoded section.

On a scope with a smaller screen, this would be a dealbreaker.  On the SDS2000X+, the screen is large enough to do a reasonable job of displaying both the zoomed portion and the unzoomed portion, even when showing a list of decoded items.

The following users thanked this post: Anik

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3023 on: December 03, 2021, 09:37:50 pm »
And if I had a wish, I would wish a decoding UI, more similar to lecroy. :D
Actually, I test a board with SPI communication at work, I´ll post some pictures in the next days, how the UI of the lecroy looks like.
From a lecroy ws3024, also known as sds3k....

Here we go...
It was taken from a WS3024 and it looks like the ones from hdo6000a and wr9000 - but it works really slow... ;)
Nevertheless, the look of the decoding UI, the functions like search for something, link to trigger ( it works good..), bitrate viewing in the table and other stuff, I would like to have it on the siglent too...

(Pics are showing spi signal decoding from control electronic pcb, dsPIC30F6010A, decimal values from the measuring circuits)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:39:59 pm by Martin72 »

Offline Anik

• Contributor
« Reply #3024 on: December 03, 2021, 09:48:30 pm »
Hi there,

Cheers,
Anik
Simply, Siglent DSO's with deep memory are optimized for zoom in and the best way to use the deep memory is to capture long (slow) and zoom in for detailed inspection.
Zoom mode works well here using by the dual timebase feature and pan through the record or scroll the decode table.

Thanks, tautech, I totally had missed that! Using the zoom function/dual time base I get what I wanted and wasn't able to find   :-+
Did I overlook all that in the documentation of the scope? I couldn't find a detailed description of the LA features and their use yet.

Cheers, Anik

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf